Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jul 2021 10:20
Drj820 wrote:
25 Jul 2021 10:09
Defenses are gonna be great that we face in the NFCCG most likely, or the opposing team wouldn’t be in the game. The issue with Rodgers sub par stats have some to do with him, and a lot to do with the fact that hardly any QB in football history could throw the ball at will for tons of yards and tds against these defenses. The packers have needed balance in these games, like almost all good teams have, yet we have either not had a run game, or forgot we had a run game. A run game threat prevents the DL from teeing off on the QB in pass rush mode, and it brings more defenders into the box to try to stop the run, instead of having them focus on the pass.

If 12 comes back, I pray to God that we can remember all the resources we have put into the running game and we can be patient with it and work to achieve balance in the playoffs or NFCCG if we shall return.

I guarantee you Rodgers will have some better stats against the leagues top defenses, with a little threat of running the ball.
well said DR J.
I think poor defensive performance and poor coaching decisions are far more responsible for our PO losses then Rodgers.

look at that loss against the seahawks, McCarthy bangs Lacy in to a brick wall when Sherman and every other defender is in the box, yes Rodgers is hurt but he could have flipped it with his left hand to anyone for a 1st down, and the rest of the losses contain the same bone headed coaching decisions, but hey it's easier to just blame the QB :aok:
MM absolutely let the team down that day. MLF also absolutely let the team down last January.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jul 2021 10:32
Yoop wrote:
25 Jul 2021 10:20
Drj820 wrote:
25 Jul 2021 10:09
Defenses are gonna be great that we face in the NFCCG most likely, or the opposing team wouldn’t be in the game. The issue with Rodgers sub par stats have some to do with him, and a lot to do with the fact that hardly any QB in football history could throw the ball at will for tons of yards and tds against these defenses. The packers have needed balance in these games, like almost all good teams have, yet we have either not had a run game, or forgot we had a run game. A run game threat prevents the DL from teeing off on the QB in pass rush mode, and it brings more defenders into the box to try to stop the run, instead of having them focus on the pass.

If 12 comes back, I pray to God that we can remember all the resources we have put into the running game and we can be patient with it and work to achieve balance in the playoffs or NFCCG if we shall return.

I guarantee you Rodgers will have some better stats against the leagues top defenses, with a little threat of running the ball.
well said DR J.
I think poor defensive performance and poor coaching decisions are far more responsible for our PO losses then Rodgers.

look at that loss against the seahawks, McCarthy bangs Lacy in to a brick wall when Sherman and every other defender is in the box, yes Rodgers is hurt but he could have flipped it with his left hand to anyone for a 1st down, and the rest of the losses contain the same bone headed coaching decisions, but hey it's easier to just blame the QB :aok:
MM absolutely let the team down that day. MLF also absolutely let the team down last January.
At some point the the HOF QB needs to take his fate in his own hands and realize what is happening in the moment. If MLF gives two plays to 12, 12 doesn’t need to be the hero and can the run play 3 straight times as he wants to take it on himself to throw the ball deep. He has to see that running the ball can be a way to win the battle. I think he gets tight and abandons it bc he thinks it’s best the ball is in his hands. I blame him for that. The second half of the NFCCG once we got back in the game was such a rushed disgrace of insanity on display...trying the same thing over and over that wasn’t working, hoping for new results. I blame MLF and 12 for that.

Brady would have calmed everybody down, got their heads right, and done what needed to be done...even if that meant he not throw another pass bc the pass rush was too much.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jul 2021 10:39
At some point the the HOF QB needs to take his fate in his own hands and realize what is happening in the moment. If MLF gives two plays to 12, 12 doesn’t need to be the hero and can the run play 3 straight times as he wants to take it on himself to throw the ball deep. He has to see that running the ball can be a way to win the battle. I think he gets tight and abandons it bc he thinks it’s best the ball is in his hands. I blame him for that. The second half of the NFCCG once we got back in the game was such a rushed disgrace of insanity on display...trying the same thing over and over that wasn’t working, hoping for new results. I blame MLF and 12 for that.

Brady would have calmed everybody down, got their heads right, and done what needed to be done...even if that meant he not throw another pass bc the pass rush was too much.
:rotf: really deep here, amazing mind reading ability's Doc :lol:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

or, perhaps, observational ability over a couple of decades

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Jul 2021 11:36
OK, but talent has always been expensive, very very few people get to become Aaron Rodgers level talent, and they are able to demand over payment sorta, which we can debate :lol: , even in civil jobs, talent can and often will get paid more then anyone else because they make the employer bigger jingle, just the way it is.
take Rodgers this year at 30 whatever million, if we win a SB was he worth it? to you probably not, to the franchise? I'd say he was worthy every penny, and just the chance he gives us to that end is why the FO people want him back, other wise we'd just trade him.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jul 2021 11:57
Half Empty wrote:
OK, but talent has always been expensive, very very few people get to become Aaron Rodgers level talent, and they are able to demand over payment sorta, which we can debate :lol: , even in civil jobs, talent can and often will get paid more then anyone else because they make the employer bigger jingle, just the way it is.
take Rodgers this year at 30 whatever million, if we win a SB was he worth it? to you probably not, to the franchise? I'd say he was worthy every penny, and just the chance he gives us to that end is why the FO people want him back, other wise we'd just trade him.
Seriously? You think Half Empty would say it isn't worth it if we won a SB?

The reason there is so much emotion in the first place is because there has been 10 years of no SB. I guarantee you nobody would give a rats a$$ how much he is making or how much % of team cap is used if it works.

The problem is it hasn't worked. So then you need to figure out what to do next.

You have stated do whatever it takes to keep Rodgers and Adams. I look at that and am like, "if we use history as a guide, we will just endure another 4 or 5 years of 10 to 12 win seasons and get bounced in the post-season." All the while getting to hear in the offseason how it's management's fault they didn't give Rodgers and Adams enough support underneath them.

If we decide to pass on these guys, there is a lot more risk moving forward. We are very much more likely to be in a position to not make the postseason, but I think we also have a better chance of striking it rich eventually again and be that new NFL hot team.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jul 2021 12:11
Yoop wrote:
25 Jul 2021 11:57
Half Empty wrote:
Seriously? You think Half Empty would say it isn't worth it if we won a SB?

The reason there is so much emotion in the first place is because there has been 10 years of no SB. I guarantee you nobody would give a rats a$$ how much he is making or how much % of team cap is used if it works.

The problem is it hasn't worked. So then you need to figure out what to do next.

You have stated do whatever it takes to keep Rodgers and Adams. I look at that and am like, "if we use history as a guide, we will just endure another 4 or 5 years of 10 to 12 win seasons and get bounced in the post-season." All the while getting to hear in the offseason how it's management's fault they didn't give Rodgers and Adams enough support underneath them.

If we decide to pass on these guys, there is a lot more risk moving forward. We are very much more likely to be in a position to not make the postseason, but I think we also have a better chance of striking it rich eventually again and be that new NFL hot team.
first of all your arguing a non winnable argument, and I was stating my case with H E and I don't know what his opinion is concerning winning a SB and the cost of 40 mil for Rodgers.

and you don't win a SB without first eliminating everyone else, and Rodgers and Adams are the biggest reasons we just had 2 13-3 seasons.
also you have no idea what this team will become without Rodgers or Adams, no one saw the 70's and 80's being almost void of a PO appearance when Vince departed.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jul 2021 12:11
Yoop wrote:
25 Jul 2021 12:38
you have no idea what this team will become without Rodgers or Adams, no one saw the 70's and 80's being almost void of a PO appearance when Vince departed.
You like to argue a lot by saying the same thing (and actually agreeing with) the person you're arguing with don't you. :lol:
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jul 2021 12:38

and you don't win a SB without first eliminating everyone else, and Rodgers and Adams are the biggest reasons we just had 2 13-3 seasons.
I don't know what the first half of this sentence means.

The 2nd half of the sentence is true for 2020. I would say it is not true for 2019. They are two completely different seasons. The Packers have recent history showing we can win in a variety of ways.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Florio (take it for what it's worth) reporting on what a potential suitor team has heard Rodgers' wants in a contract going forward:
So what does (or at least did) Rodgers specifically want? To get a true commitment that prevents the team from releasing him or trading him after 2021 or 2022, he needs a lot. So much that the team wouldn’t be able to move on without blowing up its salary cap.

Per a league source, it’s believed by at least one team that has (or had) interest in Rodgers that he wants $90 million guaranteed over two years. That would get him to the Patricks Mahomes $45 million high-water mark. With the $45 million average applying to only the first two years and with all of it guaranteed, the structure necessary to pay that kind of money would as a practical matter tie Green Bay’s hands through 2022 and potentially into 2023.
The rest is here.

Giving in to a $45 mil/yr demand would obviously blow the salary cap to smithereens regarding the ability to keep any of the other budding stars on the team. If true, I have to wonder what his teammates privately think about all this and it's impact on their own ability to maximize their value with the Packers.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
26 Jul 2021 08:34
Florio (take it for what it's worth) reporting on what a potential suitor team has heard Rodgers' wants in a contract going forward:
So what does (or at least did) Rodgers specifically want? To get a true commitment that prevents the team from releasing him or trading him after 2021 or 2022, he needs a lot. So much that the team wouldn’t be able to move on without blowing up its salary cap.

Per a league source, it’s believed by at least one team that has (or had) interest in Rodgers that he wants $90 million guaranteed over two years. That would get him to the Patricks Mahomes $45 million high-water mark. With the $45 million average applying to only the first two years and with all of it guaranteed, the structure necessary to pay that kind of money would as a practical matter tie Green Bay’s hands through 2022 and potentially into 2023.
The rest is here.

Giving in to a $45 mil/yr demand would obviously blow the salary cap to smithereens regarding the ability to keep any of the other budding stars on the team. If true, I have to wonder what his teammates privately think about all this and it's impact on their own ability to maximize their value with the Packers.
What Rodgers wants is a team who will take him on for 22, 23 and maybe 24 with likely a HUGE signing bonus to allow the team defer money which keeps space available to sign FAs (hello Davante Adams). Basically bend the organization backwards for 2 - 4 years and pay for it dearly 3 years from now until 5 years from now.

I still think there are teams who would do it. And I would argue it's worth it if he gets a ring. But that is a very big IF.

I just think the Las Vegas Raiders are such perfect trading partners. Derek Carr has $0 in Dead Cap if released/traded in 2022. Releasing Carr also saves the Raiders $19 Million. So effectively, the Raiders will have roughly $68 million in cap space in 2022 with letting go of Carr.

I think the Raiders will want to keep Ruggs. So if that's the case, don't see much in players they could offer us. So we may just demand a lot of draft picks. Denver is also an obvious selection and those two may end up competing hard which would increase our price.

I just think Las Vegas will want Rodgers so bad because what better way to bring excitement to that new stadium and city.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jul 2021 09:07
APB wrote:
26 Jul 2021 08:34

The rest is here.

What Rodgers wants is a team who will take him on for 22, 23 and maybe 24 with likely a HUGE signing bonus to allow the team defer money which keeps space available to sign FAs (hello Davante Adams). Basically bend the organization backwards for 2 - 4 years and pay for it dearly 3 years from now until 5 years from now.

I still think there are teams who would do it. And I would argue it's worth it if he gets a ring. But that is a very big IF.

I just think the Las Vegas Raiders are such perfect trading partners. Derek Carr has $0 in Dead Cap if released/traded in 2022. Releasing Carr also saves the Raiders $19 Million. So effectively, the Raiders will have roughly $68 million in cap space in 2022 with letting go of Carr.

I think the Raiders will want to keep Ruggs. So if that's the case, don't see much in players they could offer us. So we may just demand a lot of draft picks. Denver is also an obvious selection and those two may end up competing hard which would increase our price.

I just think Las Vegas will want Rodgers so bad because what better way to bring excitement to that new stadium and city.
Didn't the team offer him an extension with a pay raise?

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

So I guess it is about the money after all.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Is PFT the only one who said that about the money? I don't recall anyone else reporting it. I call bull if this is all about getting $45M/year.

Can we even fit Carr's contract this year if we trade for him?
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I gotta admit, as much as I think the FO has “messed around” and Rodgers is giving them a “mess around and find out” moment, I’m getting tired of the charade myself. We all know he’s wearing shirts about being offended, posting insta stories like a high schooler, speaking in platitudes...without actually saying what he wants publically. But that stuff is all just kind of how the guy is. Show up to camp, and I forgive. Show up after camp, and I still most likely forgive...

But the more I hear everyone on radio and tv say “Rodgers has all the leverage, without Rodgers this isn’t a playoff team” “without Rodgers this team is a top 5 drafter” blah blah I just get this “Oh ya, wanna bet” feeling in me. Of course the team is ready to win it all if they put it all together and don’t choke, it would be a shame if that opportunity was thrown in the trash can. It would sting and suck, and frankly be near unforgivable for the future of Rodgers and his standing in the city. But once that bitter pill is swallowed, it would be fun to get behind Love and see what this team can do. See if the defense that be an asset and keep us In games, see what lafleur can do without 12, see what Jones and Dillon can be as the staples of the O.

9-8 isn’t nearly as fun as 14-3, but a wild card birth or battling for the division in a year where we are not the favorites would be a new experience, and kind of fun potentially.

I want 12 back, but the more I hear how awful we will be, the more I think, “bring it on”.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Not to mention Mahomes contract is BS for the last 7 years or so.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, if that's his ask, I would also be out. I don't blame him for wanting it, but I would only make that kind of arrangement for a guy who has proven he can take me to championships (e.g. Brady, or Mahommes as of late). Rodgers? No thanks.

This also kinda detracts from the pro-Rodgers argument about how "gloom and doom" awaits a post-Rodgers future. He will only stay with a team that will commit themselves to Cap Hell to take on his contract. We are going to have to face a post-Rodgers decline sooner or later not unlike the post-Favre decline, but we hopefully have the ability to bounce back like we did that year.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
26 Jul 2021 10:10
Is PFT the only one who said that about the money? I don't recall anyone else reporting it. I call bull if this is all about getting $45M/year.

Can we even fit Carr's contract this year if we trade for him?
Who said anything about the Packers getting Derrick Carr? And who especially said anything about trading Rodgers this year?

A Raiders trade makes sense after this season (and not including Carr). My scenario with LV is for after the 2021 season.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I kinda want him to retire after all this sophomoric crap and to put us in a MUCH better cap situation. Then unretire after the season and we trade him.

Kinda, so those of you that say we hate Rodgers, don't get your panties in a twist.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."