What to do with Aaron (with season now in dumpster)?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I do kind of wonder, though, if there is a general understanding in place between Rodgers and the Team and the Packers are eliminated from the post-season if there will be a more concrete position that the Detroit game is Aaron's send off and farewell.

Read More. Post Less.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

NCF wrote:
07 Dec 2022 13:01

I think all the Aaron, LaFleur, and Gute talk this week was just about avoiding the question as much as possible until the offseason gets here.
Indeed.
I think the issue all of them face is that AR wants 2 more seasons- and the contract was structured that way for a reason. When Rodgers talks about the recent deal he signed, he said its essentially a 1 yr deal, followed by a 2 yr deal and then another 1 yr after that.
2022 was the 1 yr deal and the next segment of the contract is 2023 + 2024. And that's the sticking point. IF AR was OK with a farewell tour in 2023, I think all parties would be fine. But AR wants 2 more years and neither the Packers front office nor Love can abide that timeline
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Dec 2022 09:08
Next season with Rodgers at QB: 2-15
Next season with Love at QB 7-8

2024 season with Rodgers 1-16
2024 season with Love 9-6
You might not want to drink so heavily before writing stuff like that. You had some good points before I got to this part. But this is laughable. And the Rodgers part simply is not going to happen.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

NCF wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
07 Dec 2022 11:18
Rodgers will retire at the end of the season. It won't happen until after the Super Bowl, but he will sit down with the Packer bigwigs and come to an out on his contract.
This is where I am leaning, both because this is what I want to happen and looking at the situation as objectively as I am able. I think all the Aaron, LaFleur, and Gute talk this week was just about avoiding the question as much as possible until the offseason gets here.
He looks disinterested in playing. Just my point of view.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Dec 2022 09:08
Well times have changed a bit. It used to be damn near impossible to sign a top FA in GB. Then Reggie White signed and the Packers became a good team and players who preferred the big city or to be close to home and homies or that wanted to play in a dome or in warm weather decided that being part of a winning tradition was more important. Well guess what, if the Packers make the playoffs this season it will be a miracle. Barely beating Da Bears was not all that encouraging and the odds of winning out are Powerball odds.

Now, I would like very much for Jenkins and Lazard and Tonyan and Amos and Ford and Nixon to stay, roughly in that order. My bet is that none of them do unless they think that Love is going to be the QB. And yes, the Packers ARE going 2-15 or worse next season if all of them leave.

As for Rodgers, watch him for Christ's sake! When he got pressure a few years ago he evaded it pretty well even though he was still looking downfield. Not any more. Now if he gets pressure his eyes are on the pass rush, not the open receiver. If he successfully gets past the pass rush then he is looking downfield again, but too often he is a half step slow and never gets past the rush. You can blame Bakh's injury for some of that, but not all. He is hearing footsteps even when there are none.

Another thing is that he has become predictable. He only snaps the ball early if some defender is trying to get off the field. Otherwise the snap is at the half second mark and the D knows this. But he refuses to mix it up and D's have gotten good at tricking him.

As for the receivers, go back to the post draft days and see what I thought of Watson. I said back then that he was the #1 receiver in the 2022 draft and would prove to be the best Packer rookie. I also thought that Doubs was a steal and that Toure was also. Of course the Packer receivers are going to be better next season, but who is going to play TE? Davis? A rookie? Tonyan is the only real TE on the team other than Davis. So improvement in the WR rookies is partially negated by degradation at TE.

On the D, Gary probably will not be 100% until midseason. Savage is still going downhill. Amos is as good as gone. Nixon and Ford are as good as gone. And the D coordinator is not very good.

I just do not see a good team for next season. Players need hope to stay or else they need to be paid more than any other team will pay. At some point the team is on a downward spiral, the worse the team gets the less players or especially coaches want to be part of it and so the team gets even worse. The hope is that Love is the QB that we saw vs the Eagles. I think he is not, but he is good enough to win with, good enough to make the playoffs with next season and good enough to win 1 SB in his career. Regular season MVP, no, not that good, but good enough to not be a drag on the team in the playoffs, which Rodgers has been 3 years in a row. And good enough to be a team leader instead of a DIVA that throws rookie WR's and TE's under the bus.

Next season with Rodgers at QB: 2-15
Next season with Love at QB 7-8

2024 season with Rodgers 1-16
2024 season with Love 9-6

You disagree, then tell me why, and I don't care what Rodgers was 2 years ago. I care what he is now and what he will be at age 40 and beyond. Oh, and you might start with that pass interference call that Watson got instead of a sure TD because of Rodgers' throw. That throw has been what Rodgers is now.
I don't think AR two years ago is what we'd get in 2023, we'd get an older, less mobile AR who would have to learn the trick of quickly getting rid of the ball to succeed.. But you make your own mistake of projecting the past to the future by assuming we'd get broken-thumb inaccurate AR in 2023. You also assume just subtractions from the roster without even considering replacements, or assuming ALL replacements fail unless they are top-of-the-market acquisitions.

Me? I'm excited to see how it pans out. We have a LOT of young talent starting and contributing, many while too raw to succeed at it, and a lot of unknowns. We've had a few rare years where you kinda could promise playoffs before first snap. That's not the norm in the league. Things have to go more right than wrong in the offseason for 2023 Packers to make the playoffs, but not by an insane amount. Development from within, a couple of targeted acquisitions, and a solid draft... There's a fair chance. I don't see us competing for the 1st pick you seem to want real bad for some reason.

Strapped for cap? Good. I don't want top FAs. I want good deal FAs. Reggie was both, but that was a one-off. For how market works these days see Khalil Mack vs Smith & Smith. The Packers got BY FAR the better deal, even if we unfortunately were only able to hold onto the wrong Smith. I want Gutey to keep finding Nixons, Fords, Campbells and Rasuls on the cheap. You lament losing them without even considering we got them all, and without giving an iota of kudos to the GM for it!

If EVERYTHING imaginable goes wrong, we'll go into battle for the top pick. I see us contending again, but with worse pre-season odds.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Raptorman wrote:
07 Dec 2022 21:34
NCF wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
07 Dec 2022 11:18
Rodgers will retire at the end of the season. It won't happen until after the Super Bowl, but he will sit down with the Packer bigwigs and come to an out on his contract.
This is where I am leaning, both because this is what I want to happen and looking at the situation as objectively as I am able. I think all the Aaron, LaFleur, and Gute talk this week was just about avoiding the question as much as possible until the offseason gets here.
Maybe. But I think he’s a tough read. Yeah, at so many points, his facial expression is just drab. But sometimes he shows more frustration and happiness too. I don’t know if it all evens out. But I do believe this; the older an athlete gets, the more he needs to feel like he’s enjoying the game. That is whether or not they have Super Bowl aspirations. And I don’t know if I see that in Aaron. I do think he will return. But I still wish he would loosen up just a bit.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
08 Dec 2022 16:28
Raptorman wrote:
07 Dec 2022 21:34
NCF wrote:

Maybe. But I think he’s a tough read. Yeah, at so many points, his facial expression is just drab. But sometimes he shows more frustration and happiness too. I don’t know if it all evens out. But I do believe this; the older an athlete gets, the more he needs to feel like he’s enjoying the game. That is whether or not they have Super Bowl aspirations. And I don’t know if I see that in Aaron. I do think he will return. But I still wish he would loosen up just a bit.
mostly I see frustration, thats what happens when everything you try to do has become harder, we may not see him openly accept responsibility for a broken play, poor pass, whatever went wrong, I'am sure it's rewound several times in film study the next week and he owns it, how do you chew out your QB though when most of the others are screwing up just as much or more then he is.

Rodgers was Giddy and sure having a little fun early when Doubs was blossoming, and now that Watson has, the guy has a whole new demeaner, want to make a QB happy, give him a receiver that gets open and catches the ball, maybe a little blocking, there easier to please then we realize :lol:

What he was tired of, and this is just a common sense opinion, was when receivers where dropping passes, running the wrong routes, the blocking sucked, who wouldn't get tired of that crap, not saying Rodgers isn't blameless, he's thrown his share of errant passes, but for a about a 8 game stretch our receivers dropped a lot drive stalling balls.

I was talking to a Lions fan to day who said he thinks where going to trade Rodgers to the 49ers as soon as the season is over, we'll eat half the dead money and the Niners will absorb the rest, what do ya think about that? that would seem to solve some issues.
Last edited by Yoop on 08 Dec 2022 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah I don't think Rodgers looks disinterested. He may be having less fun because the pass offense isn't productive, but disinterested would be if he was not showing much enjoyment when things are going well, and he does seem to get pretty hyped in those moments.

I don't think Rodgers is ready to walk away from the game for a while. I expect a minimum two more years, but probably more, unless he ends up stuck in a bottom-feeder squad with no way out and then really does become disinterested.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

You can certainly hear the hype about the Rodgers/Love situation going into hyperdrive now in the media. It’s probably still nothing compared to what it’ll be after January. But they aren’t waiting to put that into a higher gear or two now.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Good chance Love will seek a trade if asked to backup Rodgers next year, per Wilde:
https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-pack ... wilde/amp/
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
10 Dec 2022 10:15
Good chance Love will seek a trade if asked to backup Rodgers next year, per Wilde:
He can ask for a trade but, really, what leverage does he have?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I can’t blame Love. I would imagine he believes in himself. So every snap that goes by where he doesn’t play the Packers are stripping him of chances to get better which in turn hurts his chances to get paid.

The timing of the Love pick was almost as bad as the pick itself. All Rodgers did was talk about playing until 40 and we take Love too soon.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
10 Dec 2022 10:46
Labrev wrote:
Looming FA. They can trade him for resources now or lose him for nothing but a comp pick.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

(*edit*) ^and that too
APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Sitting out, wasting a roster spot.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
10 Dec 2022 10:55
APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Looming FA. They can trade him for resources now or lose him for nothing but a comp pick.
people that want to see Love as our starting QB next year should be rooting big time to see Rodgers finish this season really strong, that way maybe a team will be willing to pick up some of this dead money and part with a draft pick or two.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
10 Dec 2022 11:12
(*edit*) ^and that too
APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:
He'd only be hurting himself if he did that.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
10 Dec 2022 12:52
Labrev wrote:
(*edit*) ^and that too
APB wrote:

you is a click baiter :lol:

Rodgers has a lot more leverage then you give him credit for, Favre's departure shows how little the Packer FO wants to deal with a QB controversy, and if ya sit Rodgers and put Love in, well he better not falter, cause the media will crucify ya, there is room in this locker room for Rodgers the starter and Love as the upstart waiting in the wings, not vice versa, once Love is announced as the starter, imho Rodgers needs to be on his way somewhere else, it was the same with Farve, once Ted and Mike decided to go with Rodgers they locked the doors on Favre, I think they deal with this the same way, 50 smootcharoos is a lot of molla no doubt, but these guys know how to lesson the financial blow, I bet they don't lose sleep over the money thing as much as they do having this transition go as smooth as possible minus all the hoopla Favres last week was. :dunno:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
10 Dec 2022 16:43
APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:
(*edit*) ^and that too

Rodgers has a lot more leverage then you give him credit for, Favre's departure shows how little the Packer FO wants to deal with a QB controversy, and if ya sit Rodgers and put Love in, well he better not falter, cause the media will crucify ya, there is room in this locker room for Rodgers the starter and Love as the upstart waiting in the wings, not vice versa, once Love is announced as the starter, imho Rodgers needs to be on his way somewhere else, it was the same with Farve, once Ted and Mike decided to go with Rodgers they locked the doors on Favre, I think they deal with this the same way, 50 smootcharoos is a lot of molla no doubt, but these guys know how to lesson the financial blow, I bet they don't lose sleep over the money thing as much as they do having this transition go as smooth as possible minus all the hoopla Favres last week was. :dunno:
Uhhhh...?

My comment was concerning Love, not Rodgers. I'm honestly not even sure what your response is getting at...? :dunno:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

No fault to Love if he “hints” that he would appreciate a trade so that he can play and not sit. At this point, what else is a guy supposed to say? He has played it well so far.

But look at the possible scenarios for 2023.
1. Rodgers begins the season as starter. I think this will happen. Guty and MLF are over the top gushing about their “commitment” to him. So, if Rodgers remains healthy, I really see him starting again in 2023. That’s what they are paying him for. Then, Love sits another year. I could see GB drafting a QB in higher rounds this coming spring.
2. Love starts 2023 and Rodgers sits. Hahahahaha. Not gonna happen. Did I say “possible” scenarios? Just kidding.
3. Love is traded. Rodgers starts. A new QB will be drafted, unless a guy shows up on a deal.

Love will be traded, or not. He will not be released. Either way, GB drafts a QB if a good one pops up.

I think this is different than how they moved Favre. Our FO has commented publicly many times about the “commitment they made to Aaron.” And I think they are genuine. Maybe that wasn’t the best decision for the team. But it’s the one they made. The only challenge is what they will do with his successor, whether that be Love or not.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
10 Dec 2022 16:54
Yoop wrote:
10 Dec 2022 16:43
APB wrote:

Uhhhh...?

My comment was concerning Love, not Rodgers. I'm honestly not even sure what your response is getting at...? :dunno:
sorry, I confused that :oops:

But Love may not have to do anything to become the starter, if Rodgers wants to be traded he has a gentlemen agreement from Guty and the FO they will try to trade him, whether thats what would happen remains to be seen

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ed-to-trad
Last edited by Yoop on 10 Dec 2022 20:15, edited 1 time in total.