Cheese Curds - News Around the League 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
21 Jul 2024 10:44
Too funny to pass up... :rotf:

Make defensive backfields diverse again

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Hadn't heard anything about this. Sad story. The traffic accident was just the beginning. At his memorial service, shots were fired and two people were hit and one fatally.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
22 Jul 2024 14:21
Hadn't heard anything about this. Sad story. The traffic accident was just the beginning. At his memorial service, shots were fired and two people were hit and one fatally.
woah. I hadn't heard that follow-up, either! Huh. He was local around here so his accident made news along with the others involved due to the local high school ties.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Great googly moogly.

Read More. Post Less.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

NCF wrote:
23 Jul 2024 18:54
Great googly moogly.

The Vikings now have two players on the offensive side of the roster that have the highest AAV contracts in the entire NFL: Jefferson and Darrisaw

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

when you do an extension with 2 years left on the rookie deal, the new money/new year AAV is just not apples to apples with most of the other contracts. 4 year 113? Nah, that's a 6-year $120M deal. I know the whole sports world and other agents will negotiate off of the former number, but it's just a completely false way to view a deal. You can't do new money new year and use AAV without considering the other years and make comparisons to deals that have different current years and dollars being added on.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Does anybody else see a value gap when looking at what the Vikings are now getting for their money in Darrisaw as compared to what the Packers are paying for Rasheed Walker?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id ... eed-walker

How much of a quality-of-play gap is there?

:idn:

I do know this: I think I'd much rather have Walker and his contract over Darrisaw and his deal.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Eagles Cooper DeJean out 3 weeks with a hammy, he really was the perfect Packers fit.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Jul 2024 22:07
when you do an extension with 2 years left on the rookie deal, the new money/new year AAV is just not apples to apples with most of the other contracts. 4 year 113? Nah, that's a 6-year $120M deal. I know the whole sports world and other agents will negotiate off of the former number, but it's just a completely false way to view a deal. You can't do new money new year and use AAV without considering the other years and make comparisons to deals that have different current years and dollars being added on.
Where do you get $120M? I see $4.2M for 2024 and then a 5th-year option of $16M. Works out to more like $22.2M over 6 years. Your point stands, but still huge money for a good, not great OT.

Read More. Post Less.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Well if you aren't paying anything at QB and you have to pay enough to get to the minimum cap, others are going to benefit.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Doesn’t matter the team, I still hate to see this…

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
24 Jul 2024 19:57
Doesn’t matter the team, I still hate to see this…

Vikings DB room getting decimated.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Another tough blow. Whoever is our last CB cut will probably be in purple.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Cdragon wrote:
24 Jul 2024 20:50
Another tough blow. Whoever is our last CB cut will probably be in purple.
Where is Damarious Randle when you need him…

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Our former QB winning over hearts and minds and eliminating those gall darn outside-the-building distractions...oh wait.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

49ers now have WR Brandon Aiyuk and LT Trent Williams holding out from TC seeking a renegotiation of their contracts. Aiyuk's dispute has been ongoing but he's at least present albeit not practicing, much like Jordan Love. Williams, OTOH, is holding out and was a no-show.

Williams still has 3 years remaining on the contract he signed with the 49ers when he was traded to them. Apparently all the guaranteed money has been paid out so he's now looking to secure more of the same...with a pay bump to put him back as highest paid OT.

Per ESPN reporting:
Like McCaffrey, Williams has multiple years (three in his case) remaining on the six-year, $138.06 million deal he signed with the Niners in 2021.

Also, like pre-extension McCaffrey, Williams' deal includes no more guaranteed money, though the Niners are still on the hook for nearly $30 million in signing bonus proration through 2027 because of restructures they've done on the contract.

In the time since signing, Williams has also fallen from his perch as the game's highest-paid offensive lineman. Minnesota Vikings tackle Christian Darrisaw ($28.25 million per year), Detroit Lions tackle Penei Sewell ($28 million per year), Houston Texans tackle Laremy Tunsil ($25 million per year) and the Giants' Andrew Thomas ($23.5 million per year) have all surpassed Williams' $23.01 million annual average despite Williams still ranking as the best pass blocking tackle in the NFL in 2023 (95.8% pass block win rate).
As I said with the Darrisaw signing, I am perfectly content with the play we're getting from Walker at a fraction of the cost. Sure, Williams provides elite level play, particularly in pass protection, but is the bump he provides in play really that significant to justify such a huge payout?

Me thinks not. But that's me.

Side note: Brock Purdy won't play for pennies forever. At some point, the 49ers will be forced to absorb an NFL starter level QB contract along with all these other top contracts their players are demanding. This is likely the final year of the 49er push for a SB before the salary cap decimates their roster.

And I believe the Packers are already the better team...

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB wrote:
25 Jul 2024 06:51
Side note: Brock Purdy won't play for pennies forever. At some point, the 49ers will be forced to absorb an NFL starter level QB contract along with all these other top contracts their players are demanding. This is likely the final year of the 49er push for a SB before the salary cap decimates their roster.
Further on this: Purdy's current base contract pays him $985k this year with a cap hit just over $1m. Next year, the final year of his rookie deal, pays him $1.1m base with a cap charge of just under $1.12m.

Pennies by any comparative measure in today's QB market.

Both the no2 and no3 backup QBs on the 49er roster will make more money than Purdy this year. The punter will earn nearly 3x the money over Purdy. The $%@# PUNTER!!

I think Purdy is a fool to continue to play under his current deal. His draft position and associated contract are no longer anywhere near reflective of his value. He is one injury away from being blue collar the rest of his life when he easily and justifiably should be securing his lifetime financial security.

He has earned it. No way I'd set foot on another practice field, let alone playing field, without a new deal in place that is reflective of what he's done and projected to do in the future. No f'ing way.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
25 Jul 2024 09:05
I think Purdy is a fool to continue to play under his current deal. His draft position and associated contract are no longer anywhere near reflective of his value. He is one injury away from being blue collar the rest of his life when he easily and justifiably should be securing his lifetime financial security.

He has earned it. No way I'd set foot on another practice field, let alone playing field, without a new deal in place that is reflective of what he's done and projected to do in the future. No f'ing way.
He doesn't have a choice.
image.png
image.png (52.07 KiB) Viewed 841 times

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
25 Jul 2024 10:18
APB wrote:
25 Jul 2024 09:05

He doesn't have a choice.

image.png
Huh.

Wasn't aware of that. That's some BS.

So a draft pick who outperforms his draft slot is just stuck with an underpaying contract until year 4.

Edit: By framing it as no "renegotiated" contracts, does that include and prohibit an extension? With accompanying signing bonus?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
25 Jul 2024 10:27
Edit: By framing it as no "renegotiated" contracts, does that include and prohibit an extension? With accompanying signing bonus?
It does. They are not eligible to sign an extension until they have completed 3 seasons.

Read More. Post Less.