Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Jul 2021 09:19
Is it time to retire this thread in favor of the "Rodgers is back in camp" thread? Or is that still a wee bit premature until he's on the practice field?
Retire it??

There's apparently still Graham, Cobb, Kumerow...hell, even Dom Capers still yet to cover!

Yoop is just getting started!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
27 Jul 2021 09:42
Yoop wrote:
27 Jul 2021 09:37
paco wrote:
27 Jul 2021 09:33

Maybe no retire it. We'll be back to it next offseason.

I'm just hoping the Packers don't screw this up and we get something decent in return for him next year. If they give in to everything, I'll be pissed.
they wont just let him walk scott free, it's possible next off season he'll be given a new contract and he'll retire in 2024 as a Packer, or we'll trade him for multiple 1st round draft picks, the only two paths I see after this season.
I see everything as a possibility. Pats didn't get anything for Brady and it was designed that way. I don't want us leaving this with only a 3rd round comp pick in our hands. If he stays with us for a year or 2 and retires, so be it. But if he ends up on another team, I want more.
Isn't Rodgers too old for a 3rd round comp? Wouldn't it be a 5th?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:
27 Jul 2021 09:33

Maybe no retire it. We'll be back to it next offseason.

I'm just hoping the Packers don't screw this up and we get something decent in return for him next year. If they give in to everything, I'll be pissed.
they wont just let him walk scott free, it's possible next off season he'll be given a new contract and he'll retire in 2024 as a Packer, or we'll trade him for multiple 1st round draft picks, the only two paths I see after this season.
I see everything as a possibility. Pats didn't get anything for Brady and it was designed that way. I don't want us leaving this with only a 3rd round comp pick in our hands. If he stays with us for a year or 2 and retires, so be it. But if he ends up on another team, I want more.
if we tear up the old contract with a 2 or 3 year new deal then why should we expect compensation, and if it's a deal of 3 years including this one he should be able to leave, free to do what he wishes, why people expect compensation doesn't make sense except they expect something for nothing, if it's a one year thing then I'd expect the team to want compensation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:14
paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

if we tear up the old contract with a 2 or 3 year new deal then why should we expect compensation, and if it's a deal of 3 years including this one he should be able to leave, free to do what he wishes, why people expect compensation doesn't make sense except they expect something for nothing, if it's a one year thing then I'd expect the team to want compensation.
thats not happening. 2022 is Jordan Love SZN.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:05
paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I keep forgetting about that. See? Even worse. If we get that or nothing, I'll be pissed. But I have a feeling, that this is not going to end up in the kind of stuff we were all hoping for earlier this offseason.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I can't believe we're about to get actual answers. :shock:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:18
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:

I new it, you are actually able to dream standing up :clap: :rotf:

your guessing, for all the Loves that make good, there are 3.5 that don't, and for the next 3 to 4 years Rodgers is more then likely the better option at QB.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:22
go pak go wrote:
paco wrote:

I keep forgetting about that. See? Even worse. If we get that or nothing, I'll be pissed. But I have a feeling, that this is not going to end up in the kind of stuff we were all hoping for earlier this offseason.
I think the price has dropped but I still think we can get a "Stafford-esque" trade - meaning 2 first round picks if Rodgers plays well this year.

The key to the trade compensation is demand needs to be there and Rodgers feels it is more important to leave GB in 2022 than wanting to stay and have his own destiny of where to play. My hope is LV and Denver fight really hard to get Rodgers. I also think Las Vegas could try and trade Carr to a QB hungry team for something to help "soften their blow" on a trade for Rodgers.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:27
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

your guessing, for all the Loves that make good, there are 3.5 that don't, and for the next 3 to 4 years Rodgers is more then likely the better option at QB.

yoopy, my friend, maybe you didnt understand what the reference to the Last Dance insta story implied...but it very much implied that Rodgers is gonna come back for another year...because he has no other options...and then the team is gonna work with him to get him out of town. Thats the current plan. Accept reality. :aok:
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:28
paco wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I think the price has dropped but I still think we can get a "Stafford-esque" trade - meaning 2 first round picks if Rodgers plays well this year.

The key to the trade compensation is demand needs to be there and Rodgers feels it is more important to leave GB in 2022 than wanting to stay and have his own destiny of where to play. My hope is LV and Denver fight really hard to get Rodgers. I also think Las Vegas could try and trade Carr to a QB hungry team for something to help "soften their blow" on a trade for Rodgers.
I hope so. But so much depends on the season. Will Rodgers be MVP level again? Will he regress and throw 20 INT's? Will he get hurt? So many factors that won't be answered yet. For now all we can hope for is little to no drama during the season, a huge year, a Super Bowl win, and then a good deal on the other side with an amicable split (ala Peyton or Brady).
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
paco wrote:

those where always unrealistic expectations, teams are not going to hand over 1st round Rookies or highly talented young players, draft picks where our best chance for compensation, possibly 2 first, maybe 3 scattered over a few seasons and a 2nd rounder, but the idea that we could demand multiple players never made sense to me, I'd never give up the players.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Rodgers will be worth 2 first round picks any year where he is still playing. Any downfall in his play this year will be blamed by optimistic coaches and insatiable owners as a result of circumstances and displeasure. We learned clearly this offseason that there will always be those around the league who believe Rodgers is great and only fails as the result of others, and never because of himself.

Don't kvetch about it now. We got what we wanted/needed. Another year with him at the helm. The original plan can go back in place, only now it IS path-dependent and locked in; whereas before it was a set of options annually.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:29
Yoop wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:27
Drj820 wrote:

yoopy, my friend, maybe you didnt understand what the reference to the Last Dance insta story implied...but it very much implied that Rodgers is gonna come back for another year...because he has no other options...and then the team is gonna work with him to get him out of town. Thats the current plan. Accept reality. :aok:
Yoopy, oh, I like it :rotf:

if you'd bother to re read, a few different scenario's where explained, 1. is that it was a 1 year and trade thing, another was that we'd rework something after this season, possibly lengthening his contract so he could retire as a Packer ( smart money) specially if Love shows he's still not ready ( very likely)

I say extending Rodgers is probably the best thing is because if Love doesn't pan out, Gutys term as GM could be riding on Love's ability to keep us a winning team,

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:31
paco wrote:
go pak go wrote:

those where always unrealistic expectations, teams are not going to hand over 1st round Rookies or highly talented young players, draft picks where our best chance for compensation, possibly 2 first, maybe 3 scattered over a few seasons and a 2nd rounder, but the idea that we could demand multiple players never made sense to me, I'd never give up the players.
The players never made sense to me either. Just from a cap perspective. But I do expect at least a few higher draft picks in exchange.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:36
Rodgers will be worth 2 first round picks any year where he is still playing. Any downfall in his play this year will be blamed by optimistic coaches and insatiable owners as a result of circumstances and displeasure. We learned clearly this offseason that there will always be those around the league who believe Rodgers is great and only fails as the result of others, and never because of himself.

Don't kvetch about it now. We got what we wanted/needed. Another year with him at the helm. The original plan can go back in place, only now it IS path-dependent and locked in; whereas before it was a set of options annually.
We need multiple teams to be calling. With reports that Aaron has, at least some, say in his next destination, that team isn't going to be bidding against itself. That actually could get really ugly, too. I think the Packers need to be prepared to accept some kind of discount compared to his true value. If like Denver, Washington, LV, and others are all in pushing strong, I'd set the floor at a 1st and 3rd, but expect we will do better than that.

Read More. Post Less.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I keep hearing on the radio the Packers have made/will be making "concessions" to AR? Are they going to give him nachos and beer?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:44
I keep hearing on the radio the Packers have made/will be making "concessions" to AR? Are they going to give him nachos and beer?
He doesn't eat cheese anymore, so the nachos are probably out.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I have said too, if we do trade him, I'd be very content getting more future picks than immediate.

A) The team trading for Aaron will clearly be going all in, will probably not want to give a lot of immediate potential in terms of players or even current draft picks.

B) If we are playing the long game, let Jordan develop and when its time for him to get a 2nd contract, I'd rather some more guys on rookie contracts as long as possible.

C) Knowing the team acquiring Aaron will likely be good (1st rounders 25+, we can use that to as for more, vs. getting a top 15 pick from Denver in the '22 draft)

I feel like an ideal trade would be like a 2nd rounder in 2022, 1st round and 3rd in 2023, 1st and 3rd in 2024.

Should net us a decent 2nd round pick next year, then a few bad 1st and 3rd rounders in upcoming years.

I guess I like that more than 2022 1st and 2023 1st and 3rd, or something like that.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:28
paco wrote:

I hope so. But so much depends on the season. Will Rodgers be MVP level again? Will he regress and throw 20 INT's? Will he get hurt? So many factors that won't be answered yet. For now all we can hope for is little to no drama during the season, a huge year, a Super Bowl win, and then a good deal on the other side with an amicable split (ala Peyton or Brady).
Add in a promising August from Love.

I think there will be demand for Rodgers regardless. The bigger thing is if Rodgers plays nice with the Packers and allows a trade to happen rather than being super focused on "one team" and being public about it to try and lower the price of the team who is going to acquire Rodgers.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
27 Jul 2021 10:41
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:

The players never made sense to me either. Just from a cap perspective. But I do expect at least a few higher draft picks in exchange.
I think we'll get 2 first rounders, but if Rodgers plays even close to last season I think we'll get more, and the FO might just try and get him to stay and retire a Packer.

I brought up that stuff with Ron Wolf because if Love does look good we could trade him and just draft another QB and ride Rodgers as NO rode Bree's, the goal is to have the very best QB we possibly can, and Rodgers could easily be that player.