Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

"The rules are the same for most people but every now and then there are some outliers [like me]. I'm not asking for anything other elite QBs haven't gotten over the years"

Brought up cutting Kumerow again; called him "the second best receiver throughout training camp." Said he should at least be talked to, maybe he can change their minds. Even if it goes the other way, being in the conversation at least feels like you're respected.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Tom Silverstein, I think, just asked "why do you want to be involved in these personnel decisions when in a lot of the people you just listed, you would have been wrong about; and had the team not gotten rid of Favre, you wouldn't be standing here?"

daaaannng haha

Rodgers says he doesn't want final say or anything but wants to be in the conversation and find out if the team values character and values locker room chemistry.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This is really good stuff

I’m drawing a blank, who is JP that wanted to retire a packer??
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Talks about Jordy Nelson, Charles Woodson, and Julius Peppers a lot... these are old wounds, man.

how they were willing to take pay cuts; the veteran presences and older guys showing the younger guys how to play and carry themselves and that's "worth something"

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Jul 2021 12:33
This is really good stuff

I’m drawing a blank, who is JP that wanted to retire a packer??
Peppers

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Going to take me a bit to digest all this. But my viewpoint hasn't changed. Last year with Rodgers.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Doesnt sound like much has thawed between he and Gutey and doesn’t sound like Gutey and Murph have given him many indications his relationship will be changing in terms of his influence on decision.

Shame really, no reason Rodgers can’t be given a listening ear.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
28 Jul 2021 12:40
Going to take me a bit to digest all this. But my viewpoint hasn't changed. Last year with Rodgers.
Doesn’t seem like much has changed at all other than he’s decided to come back and play
Last edited by Drj820 on 28 Jul 2021 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It really sounds like he got basically NO concessions, really.

He doesn't see himself being part of personnel decisions. He has no assurances about what happens next year. He has no assurances about how the team will address his concerns about character and chemistry.

Wild.

He doesn't seem very happy. I mean he's saying he wants to be here and is excited to be here. And he's going all in. But the he clearly still feels icy

That just me?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jul 2021 12:41

He doesn't see himself being part of personnel decisions. He has no assurances about what happens next year. He has no assurances about how the team will address his concerns about character and chemistry.

Wild.

He doesn't seem very happy. I mean he's saying he wants to be here and is excited to be here. And he's going all in. But the he clearly still feels icy

That just me?
I agree. Sounds like he likes everyone but the FO. He’s committed to winning with his teammates, but doesn’t seem like anything has thawed between he and Gute at all.

This was good PR for Rodgers. Gute looks like an idiot again.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:

Wild.

That just me?
Not just you at all. He is clearly not happy and it doesn't seem like the team is going to change the way he wants.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
28 Jul 2021 12:43
YoHoChecko wrote:

Wild.

That just me?
Not just you at all. He is clearly not happy and it doesn't seem like the team is going to change the way he wants.
Which is why I thought Rodgers act all summer was annoying, I once again understand his position. He is correct that he is far more than “the player” at this point in his career. It’s the orgs loss. Do the easy things to make the man feel valued.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jul 2021 12:32
Tom Silverstein, I think, just asked "why do you want to be involved in these personnel decisions when in a lot of the people you just listed, you would have been wrong about; and had the team not gotten rid of Favre, you wouldn't be standing here?"
Let me quote this for those that just think we should give Rodgers what he wants.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jul 2021 12:47
YoHoChecko wrote:
Let me quote this for those that just think we should give Rodgers what he wants.
And Rodgers said, he isn't asking for final say, just to be in the conversation. He knows as well as anyone he may be wrong, but he may be right.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

In the end no harm no foul. Drama filled summer, yet here Rodgers is back at camp and here for the season. In my eyes, Gutey and Murphy continue to be the ones creating a problem that seems...unnecessary.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
28 Jul 2021 12:49
Pckfn23 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
And Rodgers said, he isn't asking for final say, just to be in the conversation. He knows as well as anyone he may be wrong, but he may be right.
100% get that, but where does it stop? Is he going to be pissy if they don't take his advice? Why wouldn't he, if he is pissy about not being in the conversation. This whole situation does not say to me that he "just wants to be in the conversation."
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pckfn23 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
That question really stands out. Rodgers basically wants to put the FO in a no-win situation: Give me [Rodgers] say in personnel, but take the heat when I'm wrong about a guy [Kumerow].
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The league is changing. The org will never have a star again for his entire career if they refuse to reform or “modernize” things. You don’t have to bend the knee to “the player”, but there is nothing wrong with understanding stars have egos, and stroking those egos in small ways along the way.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
28 Jul 2021 12:49
Pckfn23 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
I missed the first bit of the presser. Did Rodgers intimate he won't have some input on personnel decisions going forward?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pugger wrote:
28 Jul 2021 12:55
I missed the first bit of the presser. Did Rodgers intimate he won't have some input on personnel decisions going forward?
At the end, when they asked how he could keep the chatter about whether or not he was consulted on any personnel moves that happen throughout the season or cuts from becoming a distraction, he responded (paraphrased) "It won't be a distraction because I don't expect to be in those conversations. I'm glad Cobb is here and that's something I wanted, but I won't be in those conversations"