Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 11:18
Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 07:49
Pckfn 23: I don't know why you would even attempt to say we didn't know what direction Ted was taking this team, He fired Sherman, hired a spread vertical passing scheme coach and brought in receivers to make that work, that was his goal as soon as he took over from Sherman, Favre was the QB that needed a new vision and rejuvenated, and Ted continued to add high pick receivers till 2014 with Adams, then he abandoned what had made him and the team so successful and went on this building a defense through mostly just the draft process, and the offensive development went in decline, and it's taken till last years draft to finally spend another 2nd rounder on a WR, 8 years of D&D of mid round WR that provided nothing more then #3 and 4 production, and you blame Rodgers for that?
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Feb 2023 19:22
No one saw the TT vision until 2011, almost 6 years after Rodgers was drafted.
The hate for Ted Thompson prior to the Super Bowl run was wide spread and severe. There was even a website devoted to it! While many didn't see a plan, it did culminate into a Super Bowl win, albeit 6 years after he took the reigns.
he did a hell of a job his first 5 years ( it was 5 years) only 6 if ya count Jan SB date, again he fired Sherman in his 2nd year, Hired Mike and a year later dumped Sanders for Capers he rebuilt this team with a lot of talent in that span, and he used a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a receiver 5 times in his first 9 drafts, and it wasn't just the top picks he did well at, he also did well with backup talent, which provided plenty of production for the SB win as we had a lot of injury's that season.
since 2014 though , not so good, and now Guty even worse, I wont continue to defend this guy at all, Lupe is right, not counting this last draft, his choices dont impress me much.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 12:52
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 07:49
Pckfn 23: I don't know why you would even attempt to say we didn't know what direction Ted was taking this team, He fired Sherman, hired a spread vertical passing scheme coach and brought in receivers to make that work, that was his goal as soon as he took over from Sherman, Favre was the QB that needed a new vision and rejuvenated, and Ted continued to add high pick receivers till 2014 with Adams, then he abandoned what had made him and the team so successful and went on this building a defense through mostly just the draft process, and the offensive development went in decline, and it's taken till last years draft to finally spend another 2nd rounder on a WR, 8 years of D&D of mid round WR that provided nothing more then #3 and 4 production, and you blame Rodgers for that?
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Feb 2023 19:22
No one saw the TT vision until 2011, almost 6 years after Rodgers was drafted.
The hate for Ted Thompson prior to the Super Bowl run was wide spread and severe. There was even a website devoted to it! While many didn't see a plan, it did culminate into a Super Bowl win, albeit 6 years after he took the reigns.
he did a hell of a job his first 5 years ( it was 5 years) only 6 if ya count Jan SB date, again he fired Sherman in his 2nd year, Hired Mike and a year later dumped Sanders for Capers he rebuilt this team with a lot of talent in that span, and he used a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a receiver 5 times in his first 9 drafts, and it wasn't just the top picks he did well at, he also did well with backup talent, which provided plenty of production for the SB win as we had a lot of injury's that season.
since 2014 though , not so good, and now Guty even worse, I wont continue to defend this guy at all, Lupe is right, not counting this last draft, his choices dont impress me much.
Thompson replaced Sherman in January of 2005. That means these regular seasons happened before the Super Bowl victory: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. From his hire to the Super Bowl win it was a bit more than 6 actual years...
I addressed NOTHING past the Super Bowl victory...
There was much angst surrounding those first 6 years of Thompson's management, much of it stemming from the Favre/Rodgers transition. His plan was constantly questioned as was his devotion to winning now. It's not unlike what is happening today.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 12 Feb 2023 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

some blogger makes a website against TT and all of a sudden the entire world hated the guy. Not buying it.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 13:00
some blogger makes a website against TT and all of a sudden the entire world hated the guy. Not buying it.
You don't have to buy it, but it was reality at the time. There was much hate for Thompson until January/February of 2011. The created website is just an example of the dislike toward him. Of course there were the few reasonable and knowledgeable fans who looked at the Wahle/Rivera cuts, Favre to Rodgers transition, etc... and saw they were quite possibly steps that needed to be taken. As a whole though, the fans base was against Thompson.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 12:59
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Thompson replaced Sherman in January of 2005. That means these regular seasons happened before the Super Bowl victory: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. From his hire to the Super Bowl win it was a bit more than 6 actual years...
There was much angst surrounding those first 6 years of Thompson's management, much of it stemming from the Favre/Rodgers transition. His plan was constantly questioned as was his devotion to winning now. It's not unlike what is happening today.
maybe I'am off 1 year, but the crux of our argument is your confusion abou the direction Thompson was taking our offense, and as I said, there was never any confusion concerning that, Sherman ran a shorter version of the west coast scheme, McCarthy had adapted more of a spread vertical bran of the WCO, and Thompson drafted 5 high end picked receivers to make that successful.
why you'd compare what Ted did to defend what Guty has done is sure as &%$@ not comparable

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 13:04
Drj820 wrote:
You don't have to buy it, but it was reality at the time. There was much hate for Thompson until January/February of 2011. The created website is just an example of the dislike toward him. Of course there were the few reasonable and knowledgeable fans who looked at the Wahle/Rivera cuts, Favre to Rodgers transition, etc... and saw they were quite possibly steps that needed to be taken. As a whole though, the fans base was against Thompson.
most of that came with Favre mania, many thought Ted wanted to switch to Rodgers, but that was never the case, what Ted was fed up with was Favre telling him to buy some talent, and rightfully so, Ted drew a line in the sand and wouldn't even nogociate with a guy like Moss or Lynch, or at least a half doz other players we missed on because he simply wouldn't bend a little .

thats nor people hating on Ted, your blowing this out of proportion.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 13:08
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 12:59
Yoop wrote:

maybe I'am off 1 year, but the crux of our argument is your confusion abou the direction Thompson was taking our offense, and as I said, there was never any confusion concerning that, Sherman ran a shorter version of the west coast scheme, McCarthy had adapted more of a spread vertical bran of the WCO, and Thompson drafted 5 high end picked receivers to make that successful.
why you'd compare what Ted did to defend what Guty has done is sure as &%$@ not comparable
No maybe about it, you are off.

I didn't even mention the offense... The offense alone is but a small part of the whole in those early years.

I'm not defending Gutenkunst. This is the first time I have even mentioned him. I am pointing out that the first 6 years of Thompson's tenure as GM was fraught with displeasure from the fan base, even more so than is happening today. Most fans didn't see the plan back then. Whether there is a good plan now or not remains to be seen.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 13:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
most of that came with Favre mania, many thought Ted wanted to switch to Rodgers, but that was never the case, what Ted was fed up with was Favre telling him to buy some talent, and rightfully so, Ted drew a line in the sand and wouldn't even nogociate with a guy like Moss or Lynch, or at least a half doz other players we missed on because he simply wouldn't bend a little .

That's exactly what that is, hating on Ted Thompson. A very large portion of the fan base disliked not going after big name free agents and then not welcoming Favre back with open arms. It was hard to talk to many fans from 2008-2010 without hearing about how Thompson should be fired.

Do you not think there is some Rodgers mania going on today? I would say it is for sure less now than it was with Favre, simply because Favre was so likable and relateable.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 13:16
Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 13:12
Pckfn23 wrote:

That's exactly what that is, hating on Ted Thompson. A very large portion of the fan base disliked not going after big name free agents and then not welcoming Favre back with open arms. It was hard to talk to many fans from 2008-2010 without hearing about how Thompson should be fired.

Do you not think there is some Rodgers mania going on today? I would say it is for sure less now than it was with Favre, simply because Favre was so likable and relateable.
well what your saying now is different from fans not knowing the direction Ted was taking this team, and some of that dislike of Ted not acquiring Moss was valid.

the Rodgers mania now has a lot more to do with the comparison of Rodgers in 07 to what we know of Love right now, which is apples to oranges, Rodgers had proven he was more ready, and I always went along with Drafting Rodgers when he fell to our slot, Favre under Sherman became a wannabe GM, and that brought on most of his power issues with Ted.

could say the same with Rodgers now, except it's more valid, in Teds first season he brought in Jennings, Ted did what it took to improve the skill position for his QB, and he continued that with AR, Guty has actually given the appearance of saying F U Aaron, I run this team and will build it however I see fit, and it has amounted to Rodgers having to over come middling defense performance, same with ST's till this season and make do with a middling crew of receivers even when we had the best one in the league, Guty has failed miserably imo.

hey, I'am the guy who has bucked giving Rodgers the money we have, and that goes back to his 2nd contract, I questioned it here every time, the one in 2018 seemed like shut up money, the one last year was the same, but I'am not some idiot who thinks the future is brighter without him, last year was a anomaly, to many factors made it difficult for him to succeed, but then that same the case with the OL,WR, pass rush, and the insanity of coverages in the secondary.

the practice of promoting from within left us with incompetence at OC, just as it had with ST's for ages, and to blame Lafleur for this stuff is to forget who pulls the strings with these coaching decisions, imo Matt is a small voice compared to Murphy Gute and Ball, I don't want to say everything done has been wrong, just that not enough of it has been done right, and these are just my opinions on how a team should be built, the lack of fire power on offense, and donating so much to defense has been a failing I will never get over, not ever, If Rodgers was a average QB I could forgive it, but he isn't and never has been, you and others base what happened last year and rank him that way and over look what caused it, why in the hell would you act so stupid, you know damn well he is still better then he played last year, I guess to try and persuade me and others he's washed up and we have to get rid of him, just mind boggling :dunno:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 12:35
BF004 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 12:31
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 11:30

Ya, pretty even between Adams and Sharpe, but on board with your other 2. Pick from this:
Tier 1
image.png
Tier 2
image.png
Tier 3
image.png
Dear God, 510 catches on 595 targets??? That’s like an 86% completion rate. For a career? :shock:

They must have recorded targets differently since then. If that is accurate, Holy Hannah.
I think part of his career they didn't record targets that's why his targets are at 510 and his receptions are 595. I want to say 1992 is the first year of targets as an official stat.
That’s makes sense, totally read that backwards

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

bud fox wrote:
11 Feb 2023 20:40
We should have just waited until Rodgers was done.
I really think it's just a matter of this. It's this simple. And a lot of the headache that we are dealing with now could have been avoided.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 14:13
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Feel a bit disappointed for Rich, but nothing I wont get over, we need what he brings, improving from seller dweller to rank 22nd is no small feat in one season, improve the talent some again and more experience will improve it more.

that starting field position article with comments from Parcels sold me, 100 yrds of field position = 7 points can change the outcome of games

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 12:38
no QB could, and your going to find that out smart ass.
No, we're not going to find that out. We would have if we went the direction you want, i.e. mortgage the future for Rodgers, leave no money or draft picks for the future to build a good supporting cast and forced to throw rookies into starting.

Instead, we have the resources to maintain a solid supporting cast on O and D, which will give any future QB1 a fighting chance, even if Love doesn't work out. Will it be as successful for as long? Will it ever go the distance? Maybe, maybe not, but I rather this situation than the Saints.

Which is too bad, because it's evident you really want to see multiple consequetive losing seasons so to say: "See?? Toldya so!!!!!! Now you kids have to feel as miserable as I was back then AND STILL AM TODAY hahahahaha!!!!" You probably want that outcome more than an actual SuperBowl at this point. Well yoop, if you wanted me to be miserable, you succeeded so far with the last season. Rodgers was not part of the solution for avoiding it, he was the thing we were supposed to avoid.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
12 Feb 2023 15:41
Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 12:38
no QB could, and your going to find that out smart ass.
No, we're not going to find that out. We would have if we went the direction you want, i.e. mortgage the future for Rodgers, leave no money or draft picks for the future to build a good supporting cast and forced to throw rookies into starting.

Instead, we have the resources to maintain a solid supporting cast on O and D, which will give any future QB1 a fighting chance, even if Love doesn't work out. Will it be as successful for as long? Will it ever go the distance? Maybe, maybe not, but I rather this situation than the Saints.

Which is too bad, because it's evident you really want to see multiple consequetive losing seasons so to say: "See?? Toldya so!!!!!! Now you kids have to feel as miserable as I was back then AND STILL AM TODAY hahahahaha!!!!" You probably want that outcome more than an actual SuperBowl at this point. Well yoop, if you wanted me to be miserable, you succeeded so far with the last season. Rodgers was not part of the solution for avoiding it, he was the thing we were supposed to avoid.
never wanted you to be miserable, wtf are you even dreaming about, your so concerned with the future your willing to by pass the present, I want whatever gives us the best chance to win this year and even a couple more years, we have a few things to make better as a team, and I'am convinced without doubt that Rodgers is still the best option at QB for us to win.

If the team or Rodgers want to move on I'am OK with that, and have voiced that opinion a lot, but my first choice is to stick with a QB I'am convinced is not as over the hill as you presume, and I expect Rodgers will prove me right about that.

It is not Rodgers fault that Gute and the FO gave him that big extension last year, or the money in 2018, you blame Rodgers for accepting it, and it sways your opinion of him, in actuality he's 6th or 7th in cap salary, and if this FO would have replenished the WR position sooner we wouldn't have seen him struggle last season, same with depending on our two best OL man to be healthy, what your holding on to which is very much in doubt is that Love would have done better last season, it's a guess at best.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 14:13
Good. I like what Bisaccia has done with our disaster of a ST in just one season.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Cap Space (or lack thereof)

Current Contracts plus Dead Cap:
Spotrac - $251,461,858
Overthecap - $251,520,593

Cap Space:
Spotrac - $-25,049,478
Overthecap - $-16,481,743

Cap for 2023 is $224,800,000, Packers will roll over $1,612,380

It seems like Overthecap is calculating the cap space using top 51, but it is my understanding that the top 51 is not applicable for the start of the new league year. As I understand it, all contracts count toward the cap at the start of the league year. Am I correct in that?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Eagle coaching staff getting picked over pretty good. Add that to the FAs they will lose and I wonder if they’ll win 10 games or not. Probably so. But I wouldn’t pencil them in as #1 in NFC just yet.

I’m also wondering what the Packer coaching staff has learned from this Super Bowl. I don’t know the answer yet. If anybody spots a good interview about this…
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack wrote:
14 Feb 2023 15:02
Eagle coaching staff getting picked over pretty good. Add that to the FAs they will lose and I wonder if they’ll win 10 games or not. Probably so. But I wouldn’t pencil them in as #1 in NFC just yet.

I’m also wondering what the Packer coaching staff has learned from this Super Bowl. I don’t know the answer yet. If anybody spots a good interview about this…
Jerry Jones had a comment a week ago about the eagles building for this year. I think they take a step back next year to Dallas in the division, maybe even the Giants.

What did the Packers learn? Probably nothing.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

wallyuwl wrote:
14 Feb 2023 21:36
Scott4Pack wrote:
14 Feb 2023 15:02

Jerry Jones had a comment a week ago about the eagles building for this year. I think they take a step back next year to Dallas in the division, maybe even the Giants.

What did the Packers learn? Probably nothing.
The Eagles 2022 draft was specifically poised to account for free agent losses. They drafted Kelce's replacement. Defensive line help (which often takes a year) to account for the future losses of Cox and Hargrave, and Nakobe Dean knowing he would sit most of the first year. They are not building for "this year." They are continuously building for now and the future, as a good team should be doing. Many Eagles fans think that if the team had been more "this year" focused in the 2022 draft, Philly would be celebrating a Super Bowl.

The Eagles' OLine remains one of the strongest in the league, their QB was the MVP runner up and is young, and their weapons--Goedert, Smith, and Brown, are all long-term. Might they not be the #1 seed? Certainly; that's hard to repeat. But they are a strong roster built for a window, not a year.

Meanwhile, all teams should learn that a great pass rush plus a dynamic offense is a great formula. The top 2 teams in sacks and the top two finishers in the MVP race on teams with great OLines and lots of speed faced off. If you don't learn the easy lessons: great QB play, strong OLine and great pass rush, you're a fool. Couldn't be more obvious.