Jeff Hafley Packers new DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who?

Who?
30%
Fire Gute
No votes
Fire Murphy
No votes
Fire LaCoach
4%
Fire Hafley
No votes
Super Bowl
65%

Total votes: 23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Two things can be true at once. Aaron Jones can be a great player but still overpaid. Aaron Jones cap hit next season is more than CMC by almost $3.5M. Only 5 RBs in the league make more than $10M.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Feb 2024 19:28
Two things can be true at once. Aaron Jones can be a great player but still overpaid. Aaron Jones cap hit next season is more than CMC by almost $3.5M. Only 5 RBs in the league make more than $10M.
His cap hit is the result of the renegotiations, not how much he is paid. I don't think he's overpaid, but I do think his contract will be altered/extended this offseason to change his cap number while continuing to compensate him well.

But his cashflow is not/has not been "too much." The "last year of a frequently-adjusted deal" cap hit is artificially high and I suspect that will be addressed.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, cap hit isn’t a good way to determine if someone is over paid. Lot can go into a one year snapshot.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Win the Lombardi and nobody cares how much you got paid.

But I'm more interested in Hafley going to a 4-3 and getting more heavies on the field. Are we going to off load any OLBs or dump Campbell and maybe give Preston some shots in the middle slot?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We aren't adding bigs. 4-2 is the base and was the base. Nothing changes other than going to 4-3 when we go "heavy" adding a 3rd LBer.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
07 Feb 2024 20:49
Yeah, cap hit isn’t a good way to determine if someone is over paid. Lot can go into a one year snapshot.
Maybe I’m crazy. I think cap hit is the only thing that matters.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Feb 2024 21:30
BF004 wrote:
In any given year for a team, yes, but for comparing players it doesn't make sense.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

New money is all that matters when comparing players from a market perspective.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Feb 2024 21:30
BF004 wrote:
Yes, that is crazy.

Say we resign Nixon for 2 years 8 million. First year 1M cap hit, 2nd year 7M cap hit. Does that mean he is not overpaid just first year and is his 2nd year. Can that be true while on on the same contract?

We are paying him 8M over two years, that is the better picture. And it wouldn’t be like we are paying him $7m in year two and can save $7m by not keeping him.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I would say the year we have him for 1M is great value and the 7M is awful. That’s just bad structuring, as is what o feel the case is with Jones deal.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

It was so much simpler when teams where not allowed to push contract money into future seasons, and where forced to work with cap cash per season.

I blame Carmen Policy, I think he's the first one to do this with Steve Young when they had both Young and Montana, back early to mid 90's, he found a loop hole, exploited it, and that started this snow ball affect of using what amounts to a credit card approach to team building.

now to not do it, well impossible to compete, teams are forced to pro rate contracts or lose players to teams that will.
I think the league allows it so to increase parity, balance.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Feb 2024 06:30
I would say the year we have him for 1M is great value and the 7M is awful. That’s just bad structuring, as is what o feel the case is with Jones deal.
All teams backload contracts and with cap hit is isn't just about the 1 player. It's about multiple years and multiple contract and the plan to structure them all to fit under the cap. It doesn't make any of it good or bad. When comparing player to player, Average and guaranteed money are about all that really matter for that comparison.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
08 Feb 2024 03:36
New money is all that matters when comparing players from a market perspective.
Years matters as well as does guarantees.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
It's the price to pay of going all in on the salary cap from 2020 to 2022. We are now paying the price of a lot of players with ugly contracts.

Bak
Clark
Campbell (he is an easier decision)
Preston
Jones

My bet is Jones is extended. Bak is reworked completely. Campbell is cut. Clark and Preston are bit tougher to do things. Maybe extend Clark and ride Preston's contract as is.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Cdragon wrote:
07 Feb 2024 21:15
Win the Lombardi and nobody cares how much you got paid.

But I'm more interested in Hafley going to a 4-3 and getting more heavies on the field. Are we going to off load any OLBs or dump Campbell and maybe give Preston some shots in the middle slot?
Yes, dumping Campbell is probable.

The Packers base is going to be a 4-2-5 with 2 DT's and 2 DE's and 2 ILB's. In the past we often saw a 3-4 with 3 down linemen, 2 OLB's and 2 ILB's - all the same players as in the 4-2-5 but lined up a little differently. Actually Hafley's 4-2-5 is likely to be a lighter lineup than the former 3-4-4 base.

Smith cannot play conventional MLB as he never had sideline to sideline speed or quickness. He is too big and therefore will be a DE.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Feb 2024 07:14
It was so much simpler when teams where not allowed to push contract money into future seasons, and where forced to work with cap cash per season.

I blame Carmen Policy, I think he's the first one to do this with Steve Young when they had both Young and Montana, back early to mid 90's, he found a loop hole, exploited it, and that started this snow ball affect of using what amounts to a credit card approach to team building.

now to not do it, well impossible to compete, teams are forced to pro rate contracts or lose players to teams that will.
No the change really happened with the new CBA in 2011. You used to be able to push some cap forward pre 2010 but it was limited severely. Like you could only push forward like 10% of the overall cap or something.

Now there is unlimited cap rollover so there is really no incentive on using current year cap space. You then remove the "pay as you play" and incentive to front load contracts like we used to do. It is actually numerically stupid to cap front-load a contract now unless you were in a Bears team situation.

With the rapid rise in overall cap year over year and ability to rollover unlimited cap...teams are incentivized to push dollars into the future. I would like to see it back to pre 2011 CBA rules but this would result in lower signing bonus contracts and less money to players immediately which they obviously wouldnt' like.

But it would also end the awkward last two years on a deal where a player is just too expensive on the cap and the team has to cut the player as a result prematurely.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
08 Feb 2024 08:38
lupedafiasco wrote:
It's the price to pay of going all in on the salary cap from 2020 to 2022. We are now paying the price of a lot of players with ugly contracts.

Bak
Clark
Campbell (he is an easier decision)
Preston
Jones

My bet is Jones is extended. Bak is reworked completely. Campbell is cut. Clark and Preston are bit tougher to do things. Maybe extend Clark and ride Preston's contract as is.
Yeah, Campbell is cut after June 1.

I do not expect any changes to Clark or Preston. There is only a small chance that Preston could be traded for a starting safety or ILB.
IMO Jones is going to be a Packer for 2 more seasons with no or insignificant changes to his 2 year cap total.

There are no good solutions for Bakh or the Packers as the Packers don't need him and he would be very difficult to trade. Odds are they have to swallow the entire 40 million this season. Maybe he is on IR until December and can contribute in December and January if someone gets hurt.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I have my doubts that we cut Campbell, as much as he has sucked the last several years. First, we RARELY post June 1 cut a guy, most teams do not. That would mean the cap savings on this year would be a mere $2.6 million. If he can improve even a bit, we aren't finding a capable LB for $2.6 million against the cap in 2024. Second, and related, with going to a 4-3, we are going to need 3 capable off the ball linebackers. Right now we have 3 in Walker, McDuffie, and Campbell. There are no others on the roster. We are likely to draft one, but coupled with only a $2.6 million cap savings, I don't think this is the year we send Campbell packing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Feb 2024 09:31
Yoop wrote:

No the change really happened with the new CBA in 2011. You used to be able to push some cap forward pre 2010 but it was limited severely. Like you could only push forward like 10% of the overall cap or something.

Now there is unlimited cap rollover so there is really no incentive on using current year cap space. You then remove the "pay as you play" and incentive to front load contracts like we used to do. It is actually numerically stupid to cap front-load a contract now unless you were in a Bears team situation.

With the rapid rise in overall cap year over year and ability to rollover unlimited cap...teams are incentivized to push dollars into the future. I would like to see it back to pre 2011 CBA rules but this would result in lower signing bonus contracts and less money to players immediately which they obviously wouldnt' like.

But it would also end the awkward last two years on a deal where a player is just too expensive on the cap and the team has to cut the player as a result prematurely.
thanks for clarity, Basically my memories are a season in the 90's when we lost to the Niners, and we found out they where over the cap, the explanation was that they pushed money in to future seasons, thats about all I remember, we felt it was unfair advantage.

to me whats going on now is like using a credit card, the only penalty is the shelf live of the player :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Feb 2024 10:13
go pak go wrote:
08 Feb 2024 09:31
Yoop wrote:

thanks for clarity, Basically my memories are a season in the 90's when we lost to the Niners, and we found out they where over the cap, the explanation was that they pushed money in to future seasons, thats about all I remember, we felt it was unfair advantage.

to me whats going on now is like using a credit card, the only penalty is the shelf live of the player :idn:
You could absolutely do that in the 90's and 2000's but the ability was incredibly limited. Nothing like we are seeing now.
Yoop wrote: