Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
20 Feb 2022 20:25

Also rumors of trade talks about Love heating up.
I have seen nothing

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
20 Feb 2022 20:35
paco wrote:

I have seen nothing
Nevermind. Apparently what I saw was a fake account.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Was the deadline for the dead cap stuff last Saturday?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
BF004 wrote:
20 Feb 2022 19:54
But the Packers don't care about linebackers?

well looks like the Packers are willing to pay a lber more then they've ever paid one before, Barry brought respectability to this defense and Campbell played a key roll in that accomplishment, hope he'll sign a fair contract.

lots of rumors flouting around GB, talk that Rodgers will extend for below what he could get else where, less money up front so we can keep some players, McGinns article paints Rodgers as ultra conservative and risk averse specially so in the playoff losses, I agree with that assessment, Rodgers cares to much about his stats.

now we hear a LOve trade rumor, :thwap:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Feb 2022 09:14
BF004 wrote:
20 Feb 2022 08:46
I would definitely call MVS our WR2 if we had to designate, which I don’t think teams care about no one really uses such terms.

But he had a pretty injury plagued year.

Just the quad of Adams, MVS, Lazard and Cobb is probably a top 10 unit, I’d say top 15 at the lowest. Even if that is heavily dependent on Adams raising the group. Not sure why you’d want to ignore the best WR in the league when considering the quality of our WR group.
I think Kupp is the best in the league, Adams second best...but im not ignoring at all. I was talking about depth behind WR1.

How was I ignoring him when I said Adams was most likely carrying Lazard in the stat that was featured in the picture?

Im not sure what you are arguing. I dont think we are very good at WR behind Adams, we will soon see if I am right based on the offers MVS and Lazard get, as well as if we keep Cobb and what happens to him if we do not. We will all know very shortly what the Packers and other GMs think of our WR crew.

Currently, our WR2 spot is so much of a mess that our WR2 isnt even clear because nobody is worthy of the spot?

No one is ignoring Adams.
Well first off, I wasn't even originally responding to you, but I think what I am arguing is quite clear and I said as such. Our talent on offense and at WR is just fine. I've acknowledged and supported it would/could be better with another drafted WR or got my OBJ. I have been critical over not getting WR's. So I feel like most arguing with me are all in agreement on that.

I just think we had a very winnable group. I mean for goodness sakes we've had our last two playoffs games come down to essentially the last snap. It's not like we are worse than teams we were playing. At least not by any significant measure. We have pretty confidently the BEST offense in the NFL the last two years. And as Bud even supported, look what happens when Aaron has good weapons like in 2011, he wins MVP.
Currently, our WR2 spot is so much of a mess that our WR2 isnt even clear because nobody is worthy of the spot?
And no offense, this is just ridiculous. People get so desperate to be right they just say things and think it helps their case. We also didn't have a clear #2 in 2010, our WR's must have been so bad we couldn't even distinguish between Jordy, Driver or Jones for WR2. Our RB's are gunna be so bad next year we don't even have a clear cut RB1 between Jones and Dillon.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
21 Feb 2022 08:13
And no offense, this is just ridiculous. People get so desperate to be right they just say things and think it helps their case. We also didn't have a clear #2 in 2010, our WR's must have been so bad we couldn't even distinguish between Jordy, Driver or Jones for WR2. Our RB's are gunna be so bad next year we don't even have a clear cut RB1 between Jones and Dillon.
Big difference here you are missing.

In 2010 WR2 wasnt clear because multiple guys felt worthy of the spot or could have been a WR1 or 2 multiple places

In 2021 there wasnt a clear WR2 because no one felt worthy of the spot.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Feb 2022 08:24
BF004 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

In 2010 WR2 wasnt clear because multiple guys felt worthy of the spot or could have been a WR1 or 2 multiple places

Not having a clear cut WR2, as you say, which I doubt NFL care about or would name in such a way, is simply irrelevant to the quality of the receivers. Just means your WR2 and WR3 are close in talent.

So like why even bring it up? I feel like it's irrelevant to the discussion.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
21 Feb 2022 08:30
Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Not having a clear cut WR2, as you say, which I doubt NFL care about or would name in such a way, is simply irrelevant to the quality of the receivers. Just means your WR2 and WR3 are close in talent.

i mean this all started with a meme that bundled Lazard in with Adams and made a comment about WR talent.

So I said that Adams was amazing and carrying Lazard in that stat and Lazard was blessed to be bundled in with Adams.

Saying we dont have a clear cut WR2 behind Adams because nobody behind Adams feels good enough to have that role, just indicates the quality of WR we have behind Adams.

Its simple
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Feb 2022 07:56
Was the deadline for the dead cap stuff last Saturday?
not that I'm aware of.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

There is no WR2 because of the way MLF shuffles his position groups. Hard to have any consistency when sometimes its MVS and sometimes its Lazard. But I think if MVS had stayed healthy he would have had the WR2 stats. He was blocking better this year and he just offered the more explosive play opportunity. What scares me about drafting someone is how long it takes Rodgers to begin to trust them. I think an ESB offers more upside than a rookie just because Aaron knows him. Same thing with Amari Rodgers. I expect a big jump from him this year with Cobb gone. He looked like a guy who was thinking instead of playing this year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Feb 2022 08:33
BF004 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

i mean this all started with a meme that bundled Lazard in with Adams and made a comment about WR talent.

So I said that Adams was amazing and carrying Lazard in that stat and Lazard was blessed to be bundled in with Adams.

Saying we dont have a clear cut WR2 behind Adams because nobody behind Adams feels good enough to have that role, just indicates the quality of WR we have behind Adams.

Its simple
It's simple for us or anyone not invested in making it complicated or defending the actions of the FO for the last 5 years , :thwap: we see Lazard do well in some games, same with MVS, then completely disappear in other games, so it is either Rodgers refusing to throw to them, or the DB covering them is to good for them to get separation on schedule, obviously if Rodgers see's them covered he will throw to Adams, who wouldn't, maybe it would help convince some fans that we need better WR's if Rodgers didn't heave it to Adams and just took more sacks?

seriously your driving up a dead end road trying to convince some people around here that the FO should have brought in a more talented receiver years ago to partner up with Adams, Lazard, MVS, Brown, Winfry are receiver types that ya rotate in as 3rd and 4th targets, not number twos, everyone that knows anything would agree with this, and by that I'am including just about everyone here, they just wont admit it., :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
21 Feb 2022 08:48
There is no WR2 because of the way MLF shuffles his position groups. Hard to have any consistency when sometimes its MVS and sometimes its Lazard. But I think if MVS had stayed healthy he would have had the WR2 stats. He was blocking better this year and he just offered the more explosive play opportunity. What scares me about drafting someone is how long it takes Rodgers to begin to trust them. I think an ESB offers more upside than a rookie just because Aaron knows him. Same thing with Amari Rodgers. I expect a big jump from him this year with Cobb gone. He looked like a guy who was thinking instead of playing this year.
who knows what MVS could have been, I'am tired of talking about what someone might become, it does no good to project that stuff because so often it doesn't happen, we know that MVS was improving, we know that Lazard improved to being a roll playing receiver that disappears often, it was the same with MVS, same with Brown and Winfrey.

this stuff about Rodgers not trusting young players imo stems from McCarthy ultra conservative schemes and that rubbed off on Rodgers, the mantra is that mistakes lead to losing, and there is evidence to back that up, of course there is such a thing as being to risk averse as well and I think at times thats where Rodgers has hurt us.
some rookies are more nfl ready then others, obviously sitting around a year will translate to being more ready with any rookie, but that doesn't mean they'll be a liability year one, look at Cooper Kupp, or justin Jefferson, I doubt Rodgers would have forced either to sit a year, I think we blame Rodgers to much and forget his teacher.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
21 Feb 2022 09:12
Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Its simple
It's simple for us or anyone not invested in making it complicated or defending the actions of the FO for the last 5 years , :thwap: we see Lazard do well in some games, same with MVS, then completely disappear in other games, so it is either Rodgers refusing to throw to them, or the DB covering them is to good for them to get separation on schedule, obviously if Rodgers see's them covered he will throw to Adams, who wouldn't, maybe it would help convince some fans that we need better WR's if Rodgers didn't heave it to Adams and just took more sacks?

seriously your driving up a dead end road trying to convince some people around here that the FO should have brought in a more talented receiver years ago to partner up with Adams, Lazard, MVS, Brown, Winfry are receiver types that ya rotate in as 3rd and 4th targets, not number twos, everyone that knows anything would agree with this, and by that I'am including just about everyone here, they just wont admit it., :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw:
Do you really think I am defending FO's actions the last 5 years? You think I am not admitting I want better WR's? Could make the exact same post I made earlier with the blaming Rodgers vs. Special teams post.

People only read what they want to read.

Could you show me one post where I implied I didn't want us to bring in more talented receivers? Even to the contrary, there are so many posts I implied I wanted us to bring in more talented receivers. How you guys draw your conclusions from me saying over and over I wanted more receivers, I didn't want Love and wanted a WR, I desperately wanted OBJ, baffled how we haven't drafted a day 1 or 2 WR since 2014. Saying I believe we would be playing in the Super Bowl if we got OBJ.

Yet our offense was still talented, it was the best offense in the NFL, Rodgers won back to back MVPs, where even superman has shown he is average at best with poor talent, but wins MVP's with great talent. Our offense was more than good enough to win a Super Bowl. We were the best team on paper, sucked having the injuries we had again this year, no Bak, Dillon, Jenkins, Tonyan, MVS in our playoff game this year.

Both things can be true.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
21 Feb 2022 09:28
Do you really think I am defending FO's actions the last 5 years? You think I am not admitting I want better WR's? Could make the exact same post I made earlier with the blaming Rodgers vs. Special teams post.

Could you show me one post where I implied I didn't want us to bring in more talented receivers? Even to the contrary, there are so many posts I implied I wanted us to bring in more talented receivers. How you guys draw your conclusions from me saying over and over I wanted more receivers, I didn't want Love and wanted a WR, I desperately wanted OBJ, baffled how we haven't drafted a day 1 or 2 WR since 2014. Saying I believe we would be playing in the Super Bowl if we got OBJ.

Yet our offense was still talented, it was the best offense in the NFL, Rodgers won back to back MVPs, where even superman has shown he is average at best with poor talent, but wins MVP's with great talent. Our offense was more than good enough to win a Super Bowl. We were the best team on paper, sucked having the injuries we had again this year, no Bak, Dillon, Jenkins, Tonyan, MVS in our playoff game this year.

Both things can be true.
:clap: :clap: :clap: 100%
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
21 Feb 2022 09:28
Yoop wrote:
21 Feb 2022 09:12
Drj820 wrote:

Its simple

Both things can be true.
all I know is every time I've brought it up I get push back, the problem with our receiver group is other then Adams they disappear, and around here thats Rodgers fault, ya harp on the one or two times a game he misses a open receiver as though he's the only great QB that misses a open receiver.

sounds like Rodgers will be back, and we'll probably draft a couple receivers this year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah. It's honestly very easy to find a weakness on a team because every team has weaknesses. The Rams had more weaknesses than the Packers.

The trick is your strengths need to cover up your weaknesses and find ways to win despite the weaknesses. Our 2010 team's weakness was complete lack of RB and TE. Yet our WR passing attack, a surprise from Starks and especially our defense limiting the opponent and creating turnovers and points were enough to overcome those weaknesses.

This latest generation of team also has weaknesses. It was STs, Oline, TE and WR behind Adams. But man did we have tremendous strengths in All Pro's at the top of the offensive roster and a potentially elite defense.

The defense did everything they needed to do beyond simply creating a TO in scoring range or scoring themselves. The challenge then is for the offense to even put up below their standard of production. It's not that we needed more than 24 points to win. They needed just two TDs. With the fire power at the top of the offensive roster, it is expected that Rodgers, Adams, Jones can get you that. But they fell very short of that. The production after the Lewis fumble was just atrocious if you exclude the one outlier play.

To win it all, you need your best players to make awesome plays. Our defense did. Our offense did not. That is the bigger failure than the roster not having an additional player at WR spot.

My largest gripe from that game on offense was missing the open WR, obviously, but more importantly not taking advantage of the check downs on early downs to keep the chains manageable. We were set up on 3rd and 7 or longer far too much and the result was a sack every time. The offense was just executed so poorly.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

All of this arguing about a WR2 is a moot point right now. The Packers don't even have a WR1 under contract. Adams, MVS and EQSB are free agents, Lazard is a restricted FA, Cobb will most certainly be cut. Which leaves us with Amari, Winfree and Taylor. While I think Lazard will be re-signed, that's not much of a group. Why so much focus on the past. We need to worry about the future.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

williewasgreat wrote:
21 Feb 2022 12:32
All of this arguing about a WR2 is a moot point right now. The Packers don't even have a WR1 under contract. Adams, MVS and EQSB are free agents, Lazard is a restricted FA, Cobb will most certainly be cut. Which leaves us with Amari, Winfree and Taylor. While I think Lazard will be re-signed, that's not much of a group. Why so much focus on the past. We need to worry about the future.
Yep.

I am nervous about being able to bring back Lazard.

He is an RFA, so we are talking like 3-4.5 million salary this year depending on just the right of first refusal or more. There is no question we are worse without him, especially having literally nothing else.

Normally I wouldn't be too worried, but with Getsy in Chicago with a defensive minded HC, and Hackett in Denver.

You even got a team like Cincinnati running an extremely similar offense with tons of cash.

I think Lazard will want to be back, his opportunity for snaps and targets is probably higher here than anywhere than maybe Chicago and he knows his has a successful role in this offense.

But it just takes one of those teams to offer him a fair market WR contract and we just can't match it if we do the right of first refusal.

Now I'd gladly take a 2nd for him in the dream world, but it would be a blow to just lose him too.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
21 Feb 2022 11:33
Yeah. It's honestly very easy to find a weakness on a team because every team has weaknesses. The Rams had more weaknesses than the Packers.

The trick is your strengths need to cover up your weaknesses and find ways to win despite the weaknesses. Our 2010 team's weakness was complete lack of RB and TE. Yet our WR passing attack, a surprise from Starks and especially our defense limiting the opponent and creating turnovers and points were enough to overcome those weaknesses.

This latest generation of team also has weaknesses. It was STs, Oline, TE and WR behind Adams. But man did we have tremendous strengths in All Pro's at the top of the offensive roster and a potentially elite defense.

The defense did everything they needed to do beyond simply creating a TO in scoring range or scoring themselves. The challenge then is for the offense to even put up below their standard of production. It's not that we needed more than 24 points to win. They needed just two TDs. With the fire power at the top of the offensive roster, it is expected that Rodgers, Adams, Jones can get you that. But they fell very short of that. The production after the Lewis fumble was just atrocious if you exclude the one outlier play.

To win it all, you need your best players to make awesome plays. Our defense did. Our offense did not. That is the bigger failure than the roster not having an additional player at WR spot.

My largest gripe from that game on offense was missing the open WR, obviously, but more importantly not taking advantage of the check downs on early downs to keep the chains manageable. We were set up on 3rd and 7 or longer far too much and the result was a sack every time. The offense was just executed so poorly.
the Rams are loaded with Talent, your wrong about this point, they have the #1 defense and thats why we didn't complete these available dump offs to keep the chains moving you claim where available because most of the time they weren't open, I've watched this game a few times, and the Rams shut down lber level zones very well, other then Jones several times and Lewis no one else was open that stood out to me.

our run game really took a hit when we lost Dillon, Jones had a few nice Carry's but that Ram defense kept that in check.

to me it's a good debate to say the Rams had the best roster in the league, PFF thought so and named 7 of there players in there top 101 :idn: