Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Damn

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
17 Apr 2023 10:01
Damn

We're going to have to pay Love a lot of money after he wins MVP this year.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

no he isn't necessarily accurate, or quick witted, doesn't have burner speed either, what he has done with the help of a soon to be disallowed pushing OL is get first downs, imho it's that past production that got him this huge contract.

If the NFL and officiating start penalizing the tactic of pushing the ball carrier forward then Hurts will have to earn this money with his arm, should be interesting.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Hurts is not summarized by “being pushed” by other players. He’s a hell of a lot more than that.

12’s contract is almost middle of the pack now. Wasn’t when he signed. But he kinda raised the bar for the rest of the league.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Apr 2023 11:10
Hurts is not summarized by “being pushed” by other players. He’s a hell of a lot more than that.

12’s contract is almost middle of the pack now. Wasn’t when he signed. But he kinda raised the bar for the rest of the league.
Just the way the league works. The next guy up breaks the record. But it’s not Rodgers messing up the market. It’s the mid tier guys getting paid absurdities that jacks up the market. The Cousins and Watson and Daniel Jones deals are paying way too much for mid tier QBs.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Apr 2023 11:10

true, but as this article and Blandino says, the tactics of pushing the QB on short yardage plays may be halted.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/w ... dage-plays

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ok so some notes.

12’s contract is a 3-year $150 million deal. He was the previously highest paid player in the league at $50 million per year. Hurts just signed for $51 million per year. Rodgers’ deal is not “almost middle of the pack now.”

Hurts was the runner up for MVP in 2022 and the team runner up for the Super Bowl. He’s not just “the next guy up.” He’s absolutely a top, elite level QB. And he is young—his second contract. It was always going to be huge, especially with Mahomes out of the negotiations for like a decade.

The guaranteed money here being third (I think behind Watson and Allen, but Kyler was pretty high) is a massive win for the Eagles and the owners, resetting the “top of the market” without inflation in the guarantees. I bet this deal sets the domino for Lamar to resign shortly.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Russell Wilson drove his golf cart into a bunker:

He seems to have poor field vision even while driving. :oops: I guess DangeRuss is less of a brand name and more of a warning to golfers. :P
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Apr 2023 12:37
Ok so some notes.

The guaranteed money here being third (I think behind Watson and Allen, but Kyler was pretty high) is a massive win for the Eagles and the owners, resetting the “top of the market” without inflation in the guarantees. I bet this deal sets the domino for Lamar to resign shortly.
It kind of erases the stupid Watson deal for future negotiations with other QBs.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Guy can’t buy a decent qb

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
18 Apr 2023 12:13
Guy can’t buy a decent qb

Rams eat $10.25M of his compensation this year (leaving $5M for the Steelers) and only a 7th round swap of picks. I know he's not what he used to be, but this is a move I would have really liked us to make.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Paco, me too. But we need the 12 deal with the Jets to be done before we can do other things. Wouldn’t you agree?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

paco wrote:
18 Apr 2023 14:11
I know he's not what he used to be, but this is a move I would have really liked us to make.
MLF is on record of wanting a vet for the WR room - and neither the $$ nor the draft pick were onerous for acquiring Robinson.
So that suggests GB didn't want him or he didn't want GB. It happens. As the Rams go through their roster purge, I think GB might be more interested in TE Tyler Higbee than Robinson and Higbee was in LA with MLF. Robinson arrived after MLF left LA for Tenn.
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Apr 2023 14:17
the 12 deal with the Jets
might include Corey Davis, so there's your vet WR.
Davis and Lazard are kinda similar, fair guess WR Corey Davis isn't part of the Jets future plans
IT. IS. TIME

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BSA wrote:
18 Apr 2023 14:21
Scott4Pack wrote:
Davis and Lazard are kinda similar, fair guess WR Corey Davis isn't part of the Jets future plans
I'm fine with getting Davis. I'm not really fine with getting him via trade. Don't want him at that price.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
Paco, me too. But we need the 12 deal with the Jets to be done before we can do other things. Wouldn’t you agree?
I believe we have the space to make the move currently. But yes, everything is tied into 12's deal. If it is really held up and they don't know what is going to happen, it may be why they didn't want to pull the trigger on this or other deals.

Now is kind of a dead zone anyway. Most things will wait until during or after the draft now. The Packers have been tied to Robinson forever. But I think they are probably out on him at this point and just weren't interested.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

paco wrote:
18 Apr 2023 15:00
BSA wrote:
18 Apr 2023 14:21
Scott4Pack wrote:
I'm fine with getting Davis. I'm not really fine with getting him via trade. Don't want him at that price.
My assumption is that acquiring Corey Davis will be contingent on us re-working that contract with him.

If we actually take on his contract as-is, yeah, that will be dumb.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

paco wrote:
18 Apr 2023 15:00
Of course not.
Allen Robinson had $15M guaranteed salary, Rams are eating 10M of it. Corey Davis has $ 10M - not guaranteed. Contract won't be an issue and you're getting a younger WR in the deal. One guess ? They take that $10M salary and turn it into a signing bonus, spread it out over 3 seasons and give him a vet minimum salary for those 3 seasons. So you'd be getting Davis for 3 years, about $13M- $14M total. ( 4.6M/ yr) Not bad.

From the Jets POV, they'll get something for a guy they were probably gonna release anyways- because nobody wants that player at that price
Win for the jets, win for Davis, win for GB 8-)
IT. IS. TIME

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

paco wrote:
18 Apr 2023 15:03
Scott4Pack wrote:
I believe we have the space to make the move currently. But yes, everything is tied into 12's deal. If it is really held up and they don't know what is going to happen, it may be why they didn't want to pull the trigger on this or other deals.

Now is kind of a dead zone anyway. Most things will wait until during or after the draft now. The Packers have been tied to Robinson forever. But I think they are probably out on him at this point and just weren't interested.
Not to mention that any signings after May 1 don't count into the compensatory formula, so if you're going to wait this ling, might as well wait until then. Not that I think we will have many signings that would impact compensatory formula anyway.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Rumors of Brock maybe not being able to play this year at all.

Maybe Rodgers does make a lot of sense in SF.

Although the 49ers really don't have the draft capital particularly this year....

Unless....

I don't get how this wouldn't be appealing for Aaron, close to home, childhood team, better team than Jets, much easier conference and division than the Jets.