2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I would be happy with Henry being signed but I feel like he will cost too much with Jones already here and a waste of resources.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

And will likely get 2 5ths for Lazard and MVS and maybe a 6th/7th for Cobb/Lewis/Turner etc.
image.png
image.png (42.05 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

So, many of us have commented about the lack of talent at Safety all year. They over-performed at some times during this last stretch. But I do think it's obvious to a consensus of people that we need more talent in that part of the team.

How many top tier Safeties will be in this next draft and what would we have to do to get one?

I'm not dismissing that Guty might find a FA Safety that could already be a difference maker. But let's look to the draft first. Any mock draft tools out there already? PFF? Others?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Jan 2024 10:07
So, many of us have commented about the lack of talent at Safety all year. They over-performed at some times during this last stretch. But I do think it's obvious to a consensus of people that we need more talent in that part of the team.

How many top tier Safeties will be in this next draft and what would we have to do to get one?

I'm not dismissing that Guty might find a FA Safety that could already be a difference maker. But let's look to the draft first. Any mock draft tools out there already? PFF? Others?
Not many top tier safeties. Cooper DeJean is a first-round guy and probably just out of reach, but you never know. Tyler Nubin is a borderline Round 1-2 guy who I am fine with taking late in the first round. Then there is a smattering of Day 2 guys who can maybe be solid starters.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Here is my first look, based merely upon draft value on the PFF big board.
image.png
image.png (92.92 KiB) Viewed 513 times

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

I am all for adding talent in the Safety room, especially with the Savage era coming to an end, but AJ Jr to me will be a week 1 starter! His upside, with a year in the system, will be more productive than any rookie. If the Rd1 choice is between safety and a starting caliber O lineman, take the lineman.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
21 Jan 2024 10:13
Scott4Pack wrote:

Not many top tier safeties. Cooper DeJean is a first-round guy and probably just out of reach, but you never know. Tyler Nubin is a borderline Round 1-2 guy who I am fine with taking late in the first round. Then there is a smattering of Day 2 guys who can maybe be solid starters.
Kam Kinchens is fun to watch. Definitely a ball hawk and also a solid and hard hitter who is not afraid of contact.

Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Labrev wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

I was talking about this with my friend and he noted that nowadays there aren't nearly as many high quality safeties as there were back in the day.

And btw, 5 years later, it's clear he was correct about Savage.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Here are our needs, in order, for this offseason. Could sign FAs but will more likely acquire through the draft

1) RB - we need at least 1 and probably 2 Jones-esque RBs (i.e. fast) to complement Jones. the Shanahan/MLF scheme thrives on RBs and there was a noticeable decline whenever Jones was out, whether it was for entire games or within games. Good news is that it is easy to draft fast cheap RBs nowadays. I would also bring back Dillon but we know what he is at this point.

2) Safety - can we even get a good safety? I don't know. Amos left a big hole, and he wasn't even a playmaker, more of a sure-tackler kind of guy. But we have poor safety play

3) ILB - Quay is a good #2. Devondre was all-pro a couple years ago but there was a noticeable decline to the point of making that position a hole in our defense. Also he gets hurt a lot. A few years ago, he was Fred Warner for us, but last night Fred Warner was Fred Warner for them and it showed yet again what happens when you have a solid ILB.

4) OL Depth - We saw what happened when Tom went out. Our line is very good, it looks like, but we need some depth

5) CB - Maybe this should go higher. Valentine/Ballentine performed admirably but you can always use more CBs in this league, especially if Jaire is doing Jaire things.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2024 09:46
And will likely get 2 5ths for Lazard and MVS and maybe a 6th/7th for Cobb/Lewis/Turner etc.
image.png
Think I’ve been seeing either a 4 or 5 for Lazard and two 6’s for Reed and Lowry.

MVS was a 5th round comp pick we sent to the Jets with Erin last year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:51
go pak go wrote:
image.png
Think I’ve been seeing either a 4 or 5 for Lazard and two 6’s for Reed and Lowry.

MVS was a 5th round comp pick we sent to the Jets with Erin last year.
lol. Yeah I got my MVS years mixed up.

A 4th for Lazard would be so sweet.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:17
Labrev wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

I was talking about this with my friend and he noted that nowadays there aren't nearly as many high quality safeties as there were back in the day.

And btw, 5 years later, it's clear he was correct about Savage.
no he was not right about Savage, he just wasn't a rangy single high safety, true he with hind sight was a reach, however he has done well in 2 high safety, also think he's a better tackler then Lupe gives him credit to be, Savage does best when Barry allows him freedom to roam.

saying that I think his contract is up, so time to move on or pony up, but who from all the UFA safety prospect is actually a improvement over savage? I think that the question we need to answer, and if ya think we can draft a more ready to play next year safety, well good luck with that, imo safety, like ILB, almost like TE are a tough learning curve at this level :idn:

seems like RB's are ranked early second day, I'd move up round 2 for the best of the bunch, and take another mid rounds, on our team RB is a key position, MLF's offense requires a excellent running attack, good for Love too.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

go pak go wrote:
image.png
Well, that first round spread got narrowed down a bunch last night

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah I think I'm with yoop on this one. Savage has been a massive disappointment but I think it has way more to do with botched development and misuse rather than his own failures. We no doubt had Nick Collins 2.0 in mind when we took him, but he's not a Collins or a Thomas. He's a guy who is better when he's near the LOS and can play in more of a Robber role.

If we had put him in his more natural role from the start and kept using him there, this could have gone very differently. I mean look at Jeremy Chinn. He has a sensational start to his career, then they move him out of the role in which he was excelling and he has been totally forgotten.

By the way, I am in no way excusing Savage's poor play last night by saying any of this. The plays were there for him to make, and he whiffed. Yet that does not mean it had to be this way. If he grew into a role that suited him, he would be a better player than the one he was last night.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
21 Jan 2024 13:20
Yeah I think I'm with yoop on this one. Savage has been a massive disappointment but I think it has way more to do with botched development and misuse rather than his own failures. We no doubt had Nick Collins 2.0 in mind when we took him, but he's not a Collins or a Thomas. He's a guy who is better when he's near the LOS and can play in more of a Robber role.

If we had put him in his more natural role from the start and kept using him there, this could have gone very differently. I mean look at Jeremy Chinn. He has a sensational start to his career, then they move him out of the role in which he was excelling and he has been totally forgotten.

By the way, I am in no way excusing Savage's poor play last night by saying any of this. The plays were there for him to make, and he whiffed. Yet that does not mean it had to be this way. If he grew into a role that suited him, he would be a better player than the one he was last night.
I would be okay with a 2 year extension for Savage at the right price.

But I also can't help but feel like we say "this safety is better as a robber role" for every safety who sucks. That just seems to be a much easier role to fill. I also don't like that Savage is a liability in the run game which is something you need to excel at if you play closer to the line.

You need to cover TEs and RBs and too often Savage gets beat by those guys.

Ultimately I am leaning toward move on.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Oh I would just move on from Savage, even if he would come back cheaply. He needs a change of scenery, we need different types of players in the S room.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

second half of year 2 of Pettine tenure Savage was the highest rated safety in the league, he and Amos where rated top duo in the league from several grading services, PFF I think was one of em, and we used a lot of 2 high in that span.

the point that he isn't as physical as we'd like a SS to be, or as rangy as a FS needs to be, doesn't mean he's bad, just that he's another player ya hope to improve upon, my point is that may be hard to do this season.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Need to draft the best kicker in the draft. Doesn't matter if it requires a day 2 pick. Carlson was a FOMO pick and it showed.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Let Carlson play.

From the beginning of this season, the Packers made a commitment to develop their young talent (without "rebuilding"). Carlson is part of that. That means they were willing to let him work out his issues. Part of that is playoff games. They were willing to risk some in the short haul with the hope that he will become a very good kicker in the long haul.

So far, they are actually on track. Even with the pain of a miss like last night.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
21 Jan 2024 14:20
Need to draft the best kicker in the draft. Doesn't matter if it requires a day 2 pick. Carlson was a FOMO pick and it showed.

I tend to side with Peters opinion on this, Kickers arrive at this destination with the physical ability already honed in, it's there mental part that creates the inconsistency, lots of pressure on a newbie, and reasons I think for most of Carlson's misses, will that somehow improve over a off season? we have to hope so, seems pretty obvious over the last month or so of media driven questions on this subject that Guty and the Boys weren't interested in a Kicker competition, PO games and all they stuck with Carlson, which translates to him having the job unless some little known walk on blows him away in camp. :lol:

I hope we bring in a few kickers, he's had 18 games to get over the yips, and he's still very inconsistent, who knows if he'll shake that, some just don't, be nice to have a few to chose from
Last edited by Yoop on 21 Jan 2024 15:12, edited 1 time in total.