Jaguars @ Packers 11/15/20 Nooner GDT

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2020 08:21

I also really hope we get our CBs back so Pettine doesn't have to play so much zone and play scared. And I also would be surprised if Adams plays.
What really get me going is that he doesn't have to play that way. Jacksonville was missing pieces in the secondary and didn't play scared. Ya, they gave up a big play, but they gave us fits too. If they had an offense they may have actually beat us.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pugger wrote:
15 Nov 2020 19:56
paco wrote:
15 Nov 2020 16:20
LaFleur mentioned the lack of "juice" again. Rodgers said he thought it was good (which I'm sure he was lying about). Continues to be a problem.
Yes, this is concerning. Professional athletes should be self motivated.
One trend I see with this team, extra time off has been a nightmare for them. Last year, bye week leading up to the 49ers game, team laid an egg.
This year, bye week leading up to the Bucs game, team laid an egg. Add in the extra days off coming after a Thursday night game and this team comes out flat. Maybe getting the week off for the best record would be a bad thing?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Nov 2020 09:42
go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2020 08:21

I also really hope we get our CBs back so Pettine doesn't have to play so much zone and play scared. And I also would be surprised if Adams plays.
What really get me going is that he doesn't have to play that way. Jacksonville was missing pieces in the secondary and didn't play scared. Ya, they gave up a big play, but they gave us fits too. If they had an offense they may have actually beat us.
What's also funny is when we finally manned up or sent 4 on 3rd down.....we dominated.

Hollman had a really good play on 3rd down where he pressed the receiver on like 3rd and 4.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Christo wrote:
16 Nov 2020 09:46
Pugger wrote:
paco wrote:
LaFleur mentioned the lack of "juice" again. Rodgers said he thought it was good (which I'm sure he was lying about). Continues to be a problem.
One trend I see with this team, extra time off has been a nightmare for them. Last year, bye week leading up to the 49ers game, team laid an egg.
This year, bye week leading up to the Bucs game, team laid an egg. Add in the extra days off coming after a Thursday night game and this team comes out flat. Maybe getting the week off for the best record would be a bad thing?
They looked pretty good though for the Seattle game.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Christo wrote:
Pugger wrote:
paco wrote:
I was looking at that recent trend yesterday, as well. This team seems to come out flat after an extended layoff.

That, and our "home field" advantage has been anything but. First, the Vikings, a dome team, came in and handed them their lunch. And now yesterday, a Florida team rolled in and basically outplayed this Packer team on their own turf on a cold and windy day.

I'm beginning to think maybe the #1 seed is exactly what this team doesn't need to be successful in January.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
16 Nov 2020 10:14
I'm beginning to think maybe the #1 seed is exactly what this team doesn't need to be successful in January.
I don't know. I think this team can function fine in the cold. Rodgers can throw the ball all over the place in frigid temps. But, the wind, seems to cripple our offensive identity while at the same time does nothing to the opposing offense when Pettine still sits in safe coverages play after play after play. The wind we have had these past two home games has been unusual. I suspect we will get some nicer home games coming up where it is an advantage to us again.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
Christo wrote:

I was looking at that recent trend yesterday, as well. This team seems to come out flat after an extended layoff.

That, and our "home field" advantage has been anything but. First, the Vikings, a dome team, came in and handed them their lunch. And now yesterday, a Florida team rolled in and basically outplayed this Packer team on their own turf on a cold and windy day.

This is ridiculous.

I guess we came out flat after the first-round bye when we went up 21-3 on the Seahawks last year?

There is definitely something to discuss with energy or with the fanless home field situation, but suggesting we wouldn't want the 1-seed because of it is just absurd.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Christo wrote:
Pugger wrote:
paco wrote:
Egad. I'm afraid you might be on to something... :messedup:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Nov 2020 10:23
APB wrote:
Christo wrote:

This is ridiculous.

I guess we came out flat after the first-round bye when we went up 21-3 on the Seahawks last year?

There is definitely something to discuss with energy or with the fanless home field situation, but suggesting we wouldn't want the 1-seed because of it is just absurd.
I agree it has more to do with the lack of motivation, game plan and I'd like to say backup players, however it's the vets that look to be taking plays off, our players ( I would bench Prestine Smith) shouldn't require the the last series of the game to give 100% effort rushing the QB, for the prior 58 minutes to act as though there in hibernation, P. Smith acts as though he already has one foot on the bus out of town, yes the tackling looked better last night, however look at the tech from backups like Sullivan, we don't wrap up, we shoulder bump, and it looks like that is the tech we teach, possibly to hopefully stay safe, but it sucks and we've given up so many big gainers to poor tackling.

a win is a win, but this kinda play really sucks.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Yoop wrote:
16 Nov 2020 10:48
YoHoChecko wrote:
APB wrote:

This is ridiculous.

I agree it has more to do with the lack of motivation, game plan and I'd like to say backup players, however it's the vets that look to be taking plays off, our players ( I would bench Prestine Smith) shouldn't require the the last series of the game to give 100% effort rushing the QB, for the prior 58 minutes to act as though there in hibernation, P. Smith acts as though he already has one foot on the bus out of town, yes the tackling looked better last night, however look at the tech from backups like Sullivan, we don't wrap up, we shoulder bump, and it looks like that is the tech we teach, possibly to hopefully stay safe, but it sucks and we've given up so many big gainers to poor tackling.

Poor tackling is league wide. Nobody teaches to wrap up anymore. Everything is just lower your shoulder and run into the ball carrier. This happens at every level of football these days.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Christo wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:04
Yoop wrote:
16 Nov 2020 10:48
YoHoChecko wrote:

This is ridiculous.

Poor tackling is league wide. Nobody teaches to wrap up anymore. Everything is just lower your shoulder and run into the ball carrier. This happens at every level of football these days.
Kirksey is our best all around tackler at ILB. I think having him out there will help. A tweet that I just saw...
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

There were just so many 6+ yard runs yesterday. We got lucky with some holding calls that ultimately had no impact on the play call back.

But what was super frustrating is then on 1st and 20, the Jaguars would go right back to the run and get 8 -12 yards. Who's responsibility was it that Robinson was always able to bounce outside? The Edge boys definitely sucked. Preston Smith was awful. But isn't there some onus on Kirksey too?

I mean we couldn't ever get Jones on the outside for us because Miles Jack was insane.

I just find it strange that "Kenny Clark and Christian Kirksey have their best game" and yet we couldn't stop the run.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:52
I just find it strange that "Kenny Clark and Christian Kirksey have their best game" and yet we couldn't stop the run.
Was it because the safeties were busy babysitting our youthful CBs ?
I also remember the announcer saying Jags had a solid OL and they rushed for 140 vs Chargers and 165 vs Titans
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:52
There were just so many 6+ yard runs yesterday. We got lucky with some holding calls that ultimately had no impact on the play call back.

But what was super frustrating is then on 1st and 20, the Jaguars would go right back to the run and get 8 -12 yards. Who's responsibility was it that Robinson was always able to bounce outside? The Edge boys definitely sucked. Preston Smith was awful. But isn't there some onus on Kirksey too?

I mean we couldn't ever get Jones on the outside for us because Miles Jack was insane.

some guys have the instinctive ability to play MLBer, Myles Jack is one such player, ya never (rarely) see him tangled up or playing paddy cake with a OLman or lead blocker, instead he keeps his hands moving to wash them off or he takes angles to avoid the blockers, Kirksey is not in his class, even so I think he had 8 tackles???? imho Kirksey is a average lber, Jacks is a PB player, maybe all pro, Jacks is the type player you build a defense around.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:00
yep great hustle and play from Gary, then on the last play Prestine shows why Guty gave him 50 mil. as I said we need more of this hustle from both players for 60 minutes.

I hate the attitude of doing just enough to win, to often it ends up not being enough, specially so on the last 2 plays of the game

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

James Robinson was fantasy RB #4 on the season heading into this game, so yeah, I'd say Jacksonville has likely had a fair amount of success running this year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Here is the Packers high level stats on defense after yesterday:

Yards Allowed: 10th. 335 yards per game
Passing Yards Allowed: 13th. 225 yards per game
Rushing Yards Allowed: 12th. 111 yards per game
Points Allowed: 15th. 24.9 points per game.

Note on the points. We are 14 total points away so far from being 9th in points allowed per game. So it is very packed from 9th to 15th.
It also important to note that the defense has been victim to 24 garbage points in the 4th quarter vs MN, 14 points essentially scored by the TB Defense, 14 points due to screw ups by backups in garbage time vs the 49ers and 10 points scored by ST's/Jags defense.

Still. A point is a point. I think at this point it is safe to say our defense is right at a 10th to 15th place defense in the league.

I think we can be much better than that. I think we have the talent to be a 5th to 10th place defense if we play more sound and top 5 defense if we get the Smith and Gary explosion like we would like.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2020 14:20

Note on the points. We are 14 total points away so far from being 9th in points allowed per game. So it is very packed from 9th to 15th.
It also important to note that the defense has been victim to 24 garbage points in the 4th quarter vs MN, 14 points essentially scored by the TB Defense, 14 points due to screw ups by backups in garbage time vs the 49ers and 10 points scored by ST's/Jags defense.

Still. A point is a point. I think at this point it is safe to say our defense is right at a 10th to 15th place defense in the league.

I think we can be much better than that. I think we have the talent to be a 5th to 10th place defense if we play more sound and top 5 defense if we get the Smith and Gary explosion like we would like.
we have been playing to many different players at key positions for to many games, we do get some great play, however just not as many as we could be seeing if our starters spent more time together on the field, I know this sounds like a simple assumption, however imo fans gloss over this as though it shouldn't matter, but there called backups for a reason. ;)

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Yoop wrote:
16 Nov 2020 15:03
go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2020 14:20

we have been playing to many different players at key positions for to many games, we do get some great play, however just not as many as we could be seeing if our starters spent more time together on the field, I know this sounds like a simple assumption, however imo fans gloss over this as though it shouldn't matter, but there called backups for a reason. ;)
Hey, let's face it, this is a Jekyll and Hyde team. Yes, they've had injuries and they've seldom had the starters all on the field at the same time.
But even the starters have been so so at times. Outside of Alexander and to some extent Z Smith, who on the defense has played great?
D-line has been a turnstile. Tackling has been awful.
On offense, they have had periods of sleepwalking. It's strange, but when the Cowboy's player said it's impossible to give you're all every time on every play, pretty sure he was talking about himself. Sometimes it seems as if the entire team takes plays off at the same time.
I know I'm being a bit sarcastic here, but watching them play yesterday was tough.
After seeing how the Colts play defense and remembering how River's carved up the Pack last year, if they play anything like they did yesterday, I expect an ass beating.
This is the time of the year you should start playing better. All of the kinks should have been worked out and the team should start building momentum for the playoffs. Like somebody once said, Now is the time.