Rodgers future

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Feb 2022 17:53

I think, at this point, if they bring back Rodgers and Rodgers doesn’t play on a major discount that they are admitting they don’t want to go forward with their plan to move on from him.

You disagree. Cool.
I don't think anyone disagrees with this. A bit of a change in statement though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
09 Feb 2022 17:58
Fear is a normal emotion. If Gute is worried about moving on from Rodgers than he is scared of moving on from Rodgers.

Everything that has been shown is that he and the packers are scared right now from moving on from Rodgers.

This was not the case when he drafted Love. That was being young and dumb in the role.
Bingo. Tough thing to admit. They had a plan to boot him and at decision time now MAY fear that would be a disastrous decision. Maybe they are right. Cant blame em!

On the other hand they could be confident and happy to move on and are just publically begging him back in order to win the PR war. In that case, I also can’t blame Em!
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

No, fear has nothing to do with any of it...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Feb 2022 18:20
No, fear has nothing to do with any of it...
The sky is green. Next discussion.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

bud fox wrote:
09 Feb 2022 15:03

We got the number 1 seed without zdarius, Jenkins, Bahk and Jaire - shows the value of those players.
This is a really good point. We talk about how stacked we were this year but in reality we didn't have any of those guys.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Changing of their plan does not signify fear, but an acknowledgement that their plan didn't work out. It's calculating, not emotional.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Unless Rodgers makes serious concessions and makes it very easy...keeping Rodgers is gonna cost a lot. You only take on those cost if you are afraid to take on the future without him.

It’s okay to admit.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Again, no, it isn't that black and white... It doesn't have to involve emotion. They may realize that Love doesn't have it, at all, and believe they can construct a capable team while extending Rodgers at market value. That's not fear.

The black and white fear narrative is so $%@# stupid.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

texas wrote:
09 Feb 2022 18:34
bud fox wrote:

We got the number 1 seed without zdarius, Jenkins, Bahk and Jaire - shows the value of those players.
This is a really good point. We talk about how stacked we were this year but in reality we didn't have any of those guys.
we had the regular season MVP. All that mattered for getting into the dance.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Feb 2022 19:13
texas wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Which dance? (I'm serious)
We won the North again :woohoo:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
09 Feb 2022 19:35
Drj820 wrote:
09 Feb 2022 19:13
texas wrote:

Which dance? (I'm serious)
We won the North again :woohoo:
Which is not something to take for granted. I’l woohoo with ya Ringo for that!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Starting to narrow it down.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Feb 2022 18:52
Again, no, it isn't that black and white... It doesn't have to involve emotion. They may realize that Love doesn't have it, at all, and believe they can construct a capable team while extending Rodgers at market value. That's not fear.

The black and white fear narrative is so $%@# stupid.
Even if Gutey had already decided to move on from AR this off-season, he'd have to be a blithering idiot for admitting to it at this point. In order to maintain leverage, GB has to act as if we we're totally fine with Rodgers returning if the trade offers aren't big enough. Or in case AR has an epiphany in yoga and suddenly wants an extension on actually discounted terms. Or if Love has an accident before decision time.

I think some people fear AR returns and we win a SB with him, and their amateur roster building theories are proven wrong. :idn: It's OK to be afraid you're not correct in your opinions. Totally normal emotion. ;)

I also think some people are secretly bored of all the winning, and would love some high draft picks out of the fun of having high draft picks. It's been so long. Every offseason other teams' fans get all the mock draft fun, no fair! It's OK, boredom and jealousy are totally normal emotions. And they're excusing this by convincing themselves that trading AR and a tanked year or two (or ten) would be an easy and surefire way to SB hunt, rather than trying to overcome AR's cap hit by drafting well and hitting on cheaper FAs.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Any scenario we win the SB is fine by me.

The only thing that would hurt really bad is seeing AR win it all someplace else.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
09 Feb 2022 22:23
I think some people fear AR returns and we win a SB with him, and their amateur roster building theories are proven wrong.
surely this isnt something you really believe

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
10 Feb 2022 08:11
salmar80 wrote:
09 Feb 2022 22:23
I think some people fear AR returns and we win a SB with him, and their amateur roster building theories are proven wrong.
surely this isnt something you really believe
I half believe what Salmar is saying......that their amateur roster building theories are proven wrong. The front officers should be quite "on edge" after going 2 and 3 in the playoffs the past 3 seasons with AR under center. Go Pack (Go lose the Pro Bowl in Vegas while you're at it as well).
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 10 Feb 2022 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

They more I've been digging into this, the more I have been thinking the Raiders can make a ton of sense.

I wouldn't have thought if they didn't get Josh McDaniels. I think that possibly changed a lot.

Bisaccia by all accounts was a fun players coach, but he was an unknown and a ST guy. Josh McDaniels certainly has a big reputation as an offensive genius. When McDaniels got to Denver, he did get rid of Cutler right away and got himself a new QB.

Now it is likely the Raiders have to do something at QB regardless. Derek Carr is in the last year of his contract. Zero dead cap to trade or cut him and it is at a very palatable 19-20 million salary. I don't think Carr is going to want to play a lame duck season with a new HC before hitting FA. He'll likely either want a sizable commitment, length and $$, or move early and start somewhere else. A lot of teams need a QB and that is a very team friendly contract to take on and restructure from there.

So no big reason to move on from Carr per se, just simply the Raiders have to do something and if you get a chance to get an Aaron Rodgers, which seems to likely come with Davante Adams, you might want to do it.

Probably the biggest free agent the Raiders have to resign this year is Zay Jones. The following year, Maxx Crosby and their older LB' Kwaitoski and Littleton for the most part. The honestly isn't all that much to resign in two years, all things considered. And then you toss in this:

image.png
image.png (102.16 KiB) Viewed 403 times

I mean you are talking about room for Aaron and Davante, resign Jones and Crosby, then you can even add some guys like Lucas Patrick, MVS, Cobb or build up that OL more, get an RB, defense, etc.

The Raiders name has popped up before as somewhere Aaron would play.

Then if you are looking to be competitive, and you let the Broncos get Aaron Rodgers, with Patrick Mahomes in the division, then even toss in Herbert, you just aren't going to have much of a chance. So honestly just extending Derek Carr would feel like an mediocre death sentence for the next 2-3 years. Never good enough to really compete, never bad enough to find a new QB.

Raiders don't have a lot of draft capital compared to someone like the Broncos, but you gotta think some team like the Bucs, Commanders, Steelers, etc. might be more than willing to cough up a 2nd plus for Carr to have the ability to compete next year and potentially for a long time.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

:bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Honestly can't even begin to understand what is frustrating you.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
10 Feb 2022 08:35
They more I've been digging into this, the more I have been thinking the Raiders can make a ton of sense.

I wouldn't have thought if they didn't get Josh McDaniels. I think that possibly changed a lot.

Bisaccia by all accounts was a fun players coach, but he was an unknown and a ST guy. Josh McDaniels certainly has a big reputation as an offensive genius. When McDaniels got to Denver, he did get rid of Cutler right away and got himself a new QB.

Now it is likely the Raiders have to do something at QB regardless. Derek Carr is in the last year of his contract. Zero dead cap to trade or cut him and it is at a very palatable 19-20 million salary. I don't think Carr is going to want to play a lame duck season with a new HC before hitting FA. He'll likely either want a sizable commitment, length and $$, or move early and start somewhere else. A lot of teams need a QB and that is a very team friendly contract to take on and restructure from there.

So no big reason to move on from Carr per se, just simply the Raiders have to do something and if you get a chance to get an Aaron Rodgers, which seems to likely come with Davante Adams, you might want to do it.

Probably the biggest free agent the Raiders have to resign this year is Zay Jones. The following year, Maxx Crosby and their older LB' Kwaitoski and Littleton for the most part. The honestly isn't all that much to resign in two years, all things considered. And then you toss in this:

image.png

I mean you are talking about room for Aaron and Davante, resign Jones and Crosby, then you can even add some guys like Lucas Patrick, MVS, Cobb or build up that OL more, get an RB, defense, etc.

The Raiders name has popped up before as somewhere Aaron would play.

Then if you are looking to be competitive, and you let the Broncos get Aaron Rodgers, with Patrick Mahomes in the division, then even toss in Herbert, you just aren't going to have much of a chance. So honestly just extending Derek Carr would feel like an mediocre death sentence for the next 2-3 years. Never good enough to really compete, never bad enough to find a new QB.

Raiders don't have a lot of draft capital compared to someone like the Broncos, but you gotta think some team like the Bucs, Commanders, Steelers, etc. might be more than willing to cough up a 2nd plus for Carr to have the ability to compete next year and potentially for a long time.
The Raiders certainly could work on paper. I wouldn't mind having Carr as QB if we had to give up Aaron. There are certain cities where I can envision AR playing and Las Vegas is not one of them haha. But then again, he did have kind of a Kenny Stabler thing going with the long hair this season. :lol: