Packers @ Eagles GDT: Sunday, Nov. 27th, 7:20 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

BF004 wrote:
27 Nov 2022 22:47

Dude is so fast.

Hope we get to see a lot of Love to Watson in the next decade.
I'm ready to move on to this now.

This is the way.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Lets not act like Love is the second coming just yet. He has three really good throws: the one to Watson, the out route to Lazard, and the back shoulder to Jones that he didn't catch. His other throws were all relatively inaccurate, which has been his #1 problem since college. Accuracy can improve, but for the most part you either have it or you don't. He has gotten better, but the question is how much better will it get? And does he need a perfect pocket to be able to throw with the mechanics to be accurate?

I'm not ready to move on from AR yet.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
28 Nov 2022 13:25
I'm not ready to call him the 2nd coming by any means
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

People thought the idea Love could run the O better than Rodgers was outrageous, yet it looked a lot better with Love.

What they didn't get was it has nothing to do with who's the "better" QB. Obviously Rodgers is.

The problem is Rodgers doesn't run the MLF offense. As of 2022, he runs the Rodgers-McCarthy Offense, wherein the QB needlessly goes into scramble drill and plays backyard ball in hopes that the WR will read his mind correctly, not content to move the ball methodically but must live/die by the big play. Oh, and the best part: it doesn't work!! :mrgreen: Not without Davante Adams, or 7 ProBowl WRs.

Love OTOH actually runs this offense, pulls the trigger on open guys, and doesn't confine most of the passing game to the sidelines. Turns out, play within scheme and it works pretty well. :o

OL also blocked a lot better for Love than in his @KC start. Bakhtiari and Jenkins playing their natural spots makes a world of difference, not only for their own play, but they improve the rest of the OL (frees us up to put Nijman at RT, Tom becomes your primary backup, Newman only plays in a disaster scenario).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Last edited by Pckfn23 on 28 Nov 2022 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

This one deserves it's own reply. What an absolute &%$@ call on one of the best pancake blocks I have ever seen.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

wallyuwl wrote:
28 Nov 2022 14:47
Lets not act like Love is the second coming just yet. He has three really good throws: the one to Watson, the out route to Lazard, and the back shoulder to Jones that he didn't catch. His other throws were all relatively inaccurate, which has been his #1 problem since college. Accuracy can improve, but for the most part you either have it or you don't. He has gotten better, but the question is how much better will it get? And does he need a perfect pocket to be able to throw with the mechanics to be accurate?

He only had 3 accurate throws?

Under what criteria you use, I can't imagine.

Some of Loves passes where beyond good - they were perfect. Hitting receivers in stride and right in their hands. Compare that to Rodgers who had a few good passes, a bunch of marginal ones, and a couple horrible ones.

Love was playing against a looser prevent defense for sure, but still, the arm talent was very obvious. Strength, decision making, poise and accuracy were all there. And "command" or leadership or confidence - it was all on display and it should be encouraging for Packer fans everywhere. He brought an energy and positivity to the team that was lacking.

Rodgers for sure got outplayed.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
28 Nov 2022 14:50
The problem is Rodgers doesn't run the MLF offense. As of 2022, he runs the Rodgers-McCarthy Offense,
horse manure, Rodgers isn't just throwing go routes, or the McCarthy iso verticals or whatever you want to call what we did pre Lafluer, your seeing more crossing routes, drag routes, you seem to listen to any blogger that tickles your ears then repeat it here as though it's true, and it's not true, Love was doing the same thing Rodgers has been doing, and will continue to because they are the same pass schemes( with wrinkles) we've used for the last 3 years.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Yoop wrote:
28 Nov 2022 15:51
Labrev wrote:
The problem is Rodgers doesn't run the MLF offense. As of 2022, he runs the Rodgers-McCarthy Offense,
horse manure, Rodgers isn't just throwing go routes, or the McCarthy iso verticals or whatever you want to call what we did pre Lafluer, your seeing more crossing routes, drag routes, you seem to listen to any blogger that tickles your ears then repeat it here as though it's true, and it's not true, Love was doing the same thing Rodgers has been doing, and will continue to because they are the same pass schemes( with wrinkles) we've used for the last 3 years.
I dont know. I don't think Rodgers runs what MLF calls a lot of the time. I think he audibles out of calls. Seems that when he yells "kill kill kill" its usually a pass. I think he is calling off running plays when he does that.

The offense looked different the first few years with MLF. Seemed we did more fakes. Recall a segment where the talking heads would show 2 clips, both to the point of the handoff, they looked identical. Except one was a handoff and one was a pass. On both plays the ILBs didn't move because they didn't know if it's run or pass. That would give us Jones an extra step hitting the hole or the TE an extra step in the route tree. Every step counts.

I dont see that as much this year. Not sure why. Can't imagine MLF backed away from it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
Love was doing the same thing Rodgers has been doing, and will continue to because they are the same pass schemes( with wrinkles) we've used for the last 3 years.
LOL! Then what do we need the older and far more expensive Rodgers for? :twisted:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Nov 2022 12:26
I can’t really take anything away from Loves performance. With the 2 score lead I felt the Eagles didn’t take it seriously. They played real conservative.

I think if we played a real team with a weeks preparation for Love they play the Spagnuollo defense and blitz the daylights out of him. The question will be how he handles that and if he can beat it.
I'm curious. What did you take away from Rodgers performance?

Against the Spagnuollo defense Rodgers had a QBR of 38. Rodgers is 31st in the league with a QBR of 41ish.

PS. Love's QBR was 94.2 using the same WRs that folks have been blaming for Rodgers poor play.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
28 Nov 2022 07:13
texas wrote:
28 Nov 2022 03:49

Obviously, the difference is that we have seen a lot of bad from Love so far in his career so far to temper our expectations. Rodgers had a lot less play time up until that point.
Jordan Love has like 1 - 2 more quarters of playing time in his career before Dallas 2007 than Love had before Philly 2022.

Both showed some signs of minor good play (Rodgers had a good series before the turnover in Baltimore and Love had the plays in Detroit).

But by and large both had sucky performances before their "oh hey look at what he can do" moment on Prime Time TV
I don't think that's true, first of all. Unless you count like a pass here or there at the end of the game as 1 quarter (i.e. technically he played in the quarter so he gets credited with a quarter's worth of play time)

Second, Rodgers came in during mop up (or crunch time) duty of games that he wasn't prepared for. Jordan Love had 2 whole games last year where he knew he would be starting, and got to prepare accordingly, and still sucked.

So, not only do I think Jordan Love had a larger sample size from which we can draw conclusions, the sample itself was more meaningful due to the nature of the specifics.

Doesn't matter though if he is going to be playing going forward like he did last night. Another interesting thing is that I'd say with the exception of Matt Flynn, those 2 drives from Love last night were better than any drives from any of Rodgers' backups the entirety of Rodgers' career here. Hundley had that one random Pittsburgh game where he didn't suck, but it's hard to look better than Love did (albeit against prevent defense).

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Labrev wrote:
People thought the idea Love could run the O better than Rodgers was outrageous, yet it looked a lot better with Love.

What they didn't get was it has nothing to do with who's the "better" QB. Obviously Rodgers is.

The problem is Rodgers doesn't run the MLF offense. As of 2022, he runs the Rodgers-McCarthy Offense, wherein the QB needlessly goes into scramble drill and plays backyard ball in hopes that the WR will read his mind correctly, not content to move the ball methodically but must live/die by the big play. Oh, and the best part: it doesn't work!! :mrgreen: Not without Davante Adams, or 7 ProBowl WRs.

Love OTOH actually runs this offense, pulls the trigger on open guys, and doesn't confine most of the passing game to the sidelines. Turns out, play within scheme and it works pretty well. :o

OL also blocked a lot better for Love than in his @KC start. Bakhtiari and Jenkins playing their natural spots makes a world of difference, not only for their own play, but they improve the rest of the OL (frees us up to put Nijman at RT, Tom becomes your primary backup, Newman only plays in a disaster scenario).
Yeah also last night Love basically hit as many slant routes as Rodgers has over his entire career. The slants, of course, being the best route by far in football.

But yeah, confining ourselves to the sidelines pretty much sucks.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Just because Love had a little polish to his one-quarter performance, that is by ZERO means an indicator that he would perform better or worse than Aaron Rodgers. Period.

:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

wallyuwl wrote:
28 Nov 2022 14:47

Oh yeah, I don't want to move on from AR, but I also don't think this is correct, because I think most of his other throws were also very good, especially given that he threw a few lasers while rolling out on the run. I remember 1 maybe 2 throws that weren't perfect. Love played about as well as he possibly could have, imo.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Nov 2022 17:46
Just because Love had a little polish to his one-quarter performance, that is by ZERO means an indicator that he would perform better or worse than Aaron Rodgers. Period.

I think if we’d stick with a 60/40 run to pass ratio, we’ve have had more success this year. Trying to pass too much when it just hasn’t worked and run game has, even against stacked boxes.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

AmishMafia wrote:
28 Nov 2022 16:03
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
I dont know. I don't think Rodgers runs what MLF calls a lot of the time. I think he audibles out of calls. Seems that when he yells "kill kill kill" its usually a pass. I think he is calling off running plays when he does that.

The offense looked different the first few years with MLF. Seemed we did more fakes. Recall a segment where the talking heads would show 2 clips, both to the point of the handoff, they looked identical. Except one was a handoff and one was a pass. On both plays the ILBs didn't move because they didn't know if it's run or pass. That would give us Jones an extra step hitting the hole or the TE an extra step in the route tree. Every step counts.

I dont see that as much this year. Not sure why. Can't imagine MLF backed away from it.
I've heard MLF on more than one occasion say he has no issue with Rodgers changing the play called. Kudos to AR trying to gut it out there last nite. He was in a boat load of pain. Nobody can say with a straight face that he is only going thru the motions collecting his big bucks this season.

Love looked good but were the Eagles playing more prevent? I want to see more of Love before declaring him Rodgers' successor. But we all have to be excited about what we saw last nite.
Last edited by Pugger on 28 Nov 2022 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Nov 2022 17:46

Agreed, but I would much rather have a small sample size where the QB plays well than a small sample size where the QB plays poorly.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Most rushing yards packers have given up on 45 years.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Where is this notion coming from that the Eagles were playing “prevent” once Love entered the game? There are several Twitter clips of Love highlights and they all showed a defense still very much competing in a close game.

Just because [mention]lupedafiasco[/mention] has a narrative to stick to doesn’t make it true. The Eagle defense was giving Love similar looks as they were Rodgers.