Rodgers Traded

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jun 2023 09:27
Yeah I think the level of consultation that Drj is trying to push is pretty challenging to implement in practice.

First off, you need to make these decisions pretty quick. Usually I need to make an offer, or at least string heavily, within 24 - 48 hours after interview. Additionally, you are asking the player committee on specific people when they weren't involved in the interview process and likely have very little information on the actual coach. So what input could these players actually provide beyond what they provided in December?

You could argue the player committee could have been involved in the actual interviews but something tells me that players wouldn't want to come back to Green Bay to interview a coach during their offseason. Rodgers is impossible to get ahold of after the season as it is.
Just to be clear though, I am not saying this is what we SHOULD have done.

I’m just saying that what we did, did not count as “being consulted” to Rodgers and I am agreeing with him that what we did gives him wiggle room to claim that.

It’s not that he should have been consulted every step of the way, it’s that he obviously thought he had earned a little more input than he got and that’s what he’s telling us about.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
03 Jun 2023 09:33
If Aaron was willing, I would have scheduled a good 30 minutes for him to sit in with each candidate, Gute and Murphy and Russ, and basically let the coach try to sell his offensive scheme and plane, let Aaron ask a few questions.

I mean the QB coach relationship is super important as we learned, and we were locked into that QB for basically the length of the coaches contract, give or take. I just would have valued his opinion. Certainly not to the extent of who do you want, but I’d want to get someone where Aaron would feel indebted to work with.

I do think Lafleur turned out to be a good hire. So everyone involved should be pretty happy. But yes, what you are suggesting would be pretty normal for when an org is making a coaching change while having a HOF Qb I would guess.

In addition, it is probably what Rodgers desired and would he had in mind when he talked about being consulted.

I def think the 9 man pow wow was just a courtesy to those guys and didn’t have much impact. They could have all said 9 different things.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Another angle is that it’s very possible Murphy was already considering a life without Rodgers at QB for the Packers so he didn’t really want him too involved. He wanted a guy who could get 12 back on track, but also wanted a guy that could train a young guy. No need for 12 to be a part of that conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
If Aaron was willing, I would have scheduled a good 30 minutes for him to sit in with each candidate, Gute and Murphy and Russ, and basically let the coach try to sell his offensive scheme and plane, let Aaron ask a few questions.

I mean the QB coach relationship is super important as we learned, and we were locked into that QB for basically the length of the coaches contract, give or take. I just would have valued his opinion. Certainly not to the extent of who do you want, but I’d want to get someone where Aaron would feel indebted to work with.
this I think is what Rodgers expected, people act as though Rodgers is just another player, and that is selling him short, it's not about who has final say, it's just another validating opinion from a insider that will probably be one of the closets ties with the new coach, so that relationship is very important, what Gute and Murphy did amounts to get along with the new coach, he's your boss, no one likes that approach.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Jun 2023 09:47
Another angle is that it’s very possible Murphy was already considering a life without Rodgers at QB for the Packers so he didn’t really want him too involved. He wanted a guy who could get 12 back on track, but also wanted a guy that could train a young guy. No need for 12 to be a part of that conversation.
I doubt that very much, Murphy is the guy that Paid Rodgers a 100 mil the year prior to not make waves

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
03 Jun 2023 10:12
Drj820 wrote:
03 Jun 2023 09:47
I doubt that very much, Murphy is the guy that Paid Rodgers a 100 mil the year prior to not make waves
Fair point

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jun 2023 12:30
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
01 Jun 2023 12:29
Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jun 2023 11:05
And am I remembering this wrong, but was there not a veteran player "council" that was used for the head coach hire?
OK, this was bugging me because I remember Gute mentioning a player council, too:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sport ... 525527002/
The process

Beginning with the firing of Mike McCarthy on Dec. 2, Murphy formed a search committee that included Ball, Gutekunst, chief operating officer and general counsel Ed Policy, vice president of human resources Nicole Ledvina and vice president of communications Jason Wahlers.

Internally, Murphy and Gutekunst called together the Packers’ nine-member player leadership council Dec. 31 that featured key players from each position group, including quarterback Aaron Rodgers. No candidates were discussed, but rather the personality traits and leadership style the players were seeking.

Murphy then went outside the organization and tapped into the National Football League’s Career Development Advisory Panel, a group of seven former head coaches and executives that annually provides a list of coaching candidates to teams, and the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which promotes diversity and equality in NFL hiring practices.

The Packers settled on 10 candidates who were interviewed, beginning with former Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano and former Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell during the season. Interim head coach Joe Philbin was interviewed on Jan. 2.
Boom. Aaron Rodgers was consulted, so we can hopefully get away from that argument. Thank you!
As expected, the discussion moved away from if Aaron was consulted to the level of consultation wasn't enough
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
03 Jun 2023 10:10
BF004 wrote:

this I think is what Rodgers expected, people act as though Rodgers is just another player, and that is selling him short, it's not about who has final say, it's just another validating opinion from a insider that will probably be one of the closets ties with the new coach, so that relationship is very important, what Gute and Murphy did amounts to get along with the new coach, he's your boss, no one likes that approach.
Which is back to my original point when someone acted like this was a closed case because Murph had a pow wow with 9 guys about personality traits…Rodgers expected to be involved ALOT more than that…and maybe even deserved to be involved more than that.

Il say this, the answer is probably in the middle. Should rodgers have been equal to Murphy in the hiring process? Heck no.

Should he have been placated a bit, made to feel involved, and would it have been smart to let him voice opinions along the way? Absolutely.

The fact that none of this happened is a good reason why the HOF qb is in NY

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:

Regardless, mit or mitout the big annoying, arrogant and narcisstic cheese ... the entire committee has failed so far. People need to remember the forests, not just the trees and weeds. Gutey ist nicht so gut so far.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jun 2023 10:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

OK, this was bugging me because I remember Gute mentioning a player council, too:

Boom. Aaron Rodgers was consulted, so we can hopefully get away from that argument. Thank you!
As expected, the discussion moved away from if Aaron was consulted to the level of consultation wasn't enough
I’m with Aaron on this. A nine man pow wow on personality traits and never any more involvement along the way and never being approached individually as a HOF qb, is not “consulting Aaron”

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jun 2023 09:27
Yeah I think the level of consultation that Drj is trying to push is pretty challenging to implement in practice.

First off, you need to make these decisions pretty quick. Usually I need to make an offer, or at least string heavily, within 24 - 48 hours after interview. Additionally, you are asking the player committee on specific people when they weren't involved in the interview process and likely have very little information on the actual coach. So what input could these players actually provide beyond what they provided in December?

You could argue the player committee could have been involved in the actual interviews but something tells me that players wouldn't want to come back to Green Bay to interview a coach during their offseason. Rodgers is impossible to get ahold of after the season as it is.
ahhhh, I don't know/think thats accurate, Rodgers is hard to get a hold of when Rodgers doesn't want to be gotten a hold of, when he wants to be access able I bet he answers the call.

and I wouldn't call in the whole 9 players, Rodgers is by and large the most important person of all of those 9, he is the one that will form the closest bond with the new coach.

I think there is a point when to many voices clouds the picture, but adding Rodgers should be a key addition, In his shoes I would have felt snubbed too

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:

Yep. Gotta move the goalpost instead of just admitting fault when saying Aaron Rodgers was NEVER consulted.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Jun 2023 09:45
BF004 wrote:

I do think Lafleur turned out to be a good hire. So everyone involved should be pretty happy. But yes, what you are suggesting would be pretty normal for when an org is making a coaching change while having a HOF Qb I would guess.

In addition, it is probably what Rodgers desired and would he had in mind when he talked about being consulted.

I def think the 9 man pow wow was just a courtesy to those guys and didn’t have much impact. They could have all said 9 different things.
LaCoach turned out to be a good hire?! What accomplishments exist that prove that LaCoach was a good hire. All I've seen so far is a YES man who very professionally and eloquently spews the obvious. His coaching and play calling has been average.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

my original argument was more about a personal sit down or even a phone call with the prospective coaching candidates.

thats why I didn't respond to 23, why waste my breath, asking players what traits they want in a new coach is so superficial, those 9 consulted including the QB could have jotted that stuff on a piece of paper for gosh sakes, I bet you could have just run one response through a copier and all 9 would have been close to identical

Is that what you consider a consultation when hiring?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
03 Jun 2023 10:29
Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

LaCoach turned out to be a good hire?! What accomplishments exist that prove that LaCoach was a good hire. All I've seen so far is a YES man who very professionally and eloquently spews the obvious. His coaching and play calling has been average.
His tenure is still very much to be determined.

But objectively, yes, 3 division titles and two NFC championship appearances is considered a good start.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
03 Jun 2023 10:37
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

my original argument was more about a personal sit down or even a phone call with the prospective coaching candidates.

thats why I didn't respond to 23, why waste my breath, asking players what traits they want in a new coach is so superficial, those 9 consulted including the QB could have jotted that stuff on a piece of paper for gosh sakes, I bet you could have just run one response through a copier and all 9 would have been close to identical

There are some learning disabilities that don’t allow someone to recognize a grey area. Everything is black and white. We might be dealing with that here. One can see that yes, Murphy checked the box with a weak 9 man intro pow wow on personality traits, but also obvious to see rodgers expected much more and expected an individual consultation.

Both can be true. But as you said, best not to argue with those incapable of seeing nuance.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
03 Jun 2023 10:29
Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

come on Ringo, your not even being close to fair with Lafleur, yes he had a very good QB, yes he had a very good WR and RB, he's dealt with a lot of injury's, specially OL and on defense, he's had 4 season of befuddlement on defense actually, and 3 seasons of some of the worst ST's in the league, and has become the 5th winningest coach in franchise history, would you rather go back to the Mike Sherman product? :lol: or how about the fan fav Dandy Devine? :rotf:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

There are some learning disabilities that don’t allow someone to recognize a grey area.
Ya, you are not going to get away with saying someone might have a disability. That's wrong on all levels. That was not warranted at all so don't try and play the righteous card.

Now, this was specifically said:
that was apparent when he hired Lafleur never even consulting Rodgers,
This has been proven to just not be true, so the goalposts are being moved to now include the quality of the consultation.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Jun 2023 10:41
Yoop wrote:
03 Jun 2023 10:37
go pak go wrote:

There are some learning disabilities that don’t allow someone to recognize a grey area. Everything is black and white. We might be dealing with that here. One can see that yes, Murphy checked the box with a weak 9 man intro pow wow on personality traits, but also obvious to see rodgers expected much more and expected an individual consultation.

Both can be true. But as you said, best not to argue with those incapable of seeing nuance.
I just think allowing the person who's relationship with someone as important as the HC maters so much for team success, it would have been a good start to them bonding and also tightening that players relationship to himself, loyalty is built upon respect, and Guty and Murphy's neglect with that insured the rocky road since with Rodgers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Jun 2023 10:48
There are some learning disabilities that don’t allow someone to recognize a grey area.
Ya, you are not going to get away with saying someone might have a disability. That's wrong on all levels. That was not warranted at all so don't try and play the righteous card.

Now, this was specifically said:
that was apparent when he hired Lafleur never even consulting Rodgers,
This has been proven to just not be true, so the goalposts are being moved to now include the quality of the consultation.
oh please spare us all your PC garble 23, how often have you and others here insulted me?

and asking a bunch of players what traits there looking for is not even close to a actual consultation with a coach, which you know damn well is what I was referring to

quit playing word games
Last edited by Yoop on 03 Jun 2023 11:19, edited 1 time in total.