Cheese Curds - News Around the League 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
27 Jul 2024 22:50
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jul 2024 22:41
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
27 Jul 2024 22:39

Your list is not good

Bob Griese was in year 5
Boomer Esiason, year 5
Chris Chandler, year 11 and on his 6th team
Drew Bledsoe, year 4
Roger Staubach was drafted in 1964 but wasn't the starter until 1971
Matt Hasselbeck, 2nd team, year 7
Stan Humphries, 2nd team, year 7

...and those are just the ones I bothered to check.
Terrible attempt!
He'll probably argue about Staubach due to his Navy service costing him his first 5 seasons or so ;)
So Staubach shouldn’t count as being on his first contract with the Cowboys why?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
27 Jul 2024 23:07
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
27 Jul 2024 22:02
By my count, there are 65 different starting Super Bowl QB's. 33 of them, I may be off one or two, started the Super Bowl within the first three years after being drafted.

Code: Select all

Ben Roethlisberger | Pittsburgh Steelers
Bob Griese | Miami Dolphins
Boomer Esiason | Cincinnati Bengals
Cam Newton | Carolina Panthers
Chris Chandler | Atlanta Falcons
Colin Kaepernick | San Francisco 49ers
Dan Marino | Miami Dolphins
David Woodley | Miami Dolphins
Drew Bledsoe
Eli Manning | New York Giants
Jalen Hurts | Philadelphia Eagles
Jared Goff | Los Angeles Rams
Jeff Hostetler | New York Giants
Jim McMahon | Chicago Bears
Joe Burrow | Cincinnati Bengals
Joe Flacco | Baltimore Ravens
Joe Montana | San Francisco 49ers
Joe Namath | New York Jets
Joe Theismann | Washington Commanders
John Elway | Denver Broncos
Mark Rypien | Washington Commanders
Matt Hasselbeck | Seattle Seahawks
Neil O’Donnell | Pittsburgh Steelers
Nick Foles | Philadelphia Eagles
Patrick Mahomes | Kansas City Chiefs
Rex Grossman | Chicago Bears
Roger Staubach | Dallas Cowboys
Russell Wilson | Seattle Seahawks
Stan Humphries | San Diego Chargers
Terry Bradshaw | Pittsburgh Steelers
Tony Eason | New England Patriots
Troy Aikman | Dallas Cowboys
Vince Ferragamo | Los Angeles Rams
Your list is not good

Bob Griese was in year 5
Boomer Esiason, year 5
Drew Bledsoe, year 4

Like I said, I may be off a few. And for you young ones who only read stats, Staubach was drafted in 64 then served in the Navy until 69. See, he was an Annapolis graduate.

Griese lost to the Cowboys in year 4.
Bledsoe lost to the Packers in 97.

This wasn’t about QBs winning the Super Bowl, it was about them getting their team there on their first contract.

keep digging china is only a name or two away :rotf:

I can't even figure out your point in all this, we both know rookie contract QB's rarely have won a SB, stats show that.

I didn't even bother to look this stuff up because that is a obvious situation, they just seldom get to the dance or win it

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jul 2024 04:42
I can't even figure out your point in all this, we both know rookie contract QB's rarely have won a SB, stats show that.
Jesus Christ people. Read the thread. This wasn't about winning the Super Bowl, this was about getting to the Super Bowl on their first playing contract. How hard is that to understand? But let's say my numbers are off, and they probably are a bit because it didn't deep dive into players' contracts just the years they were drafted and the first Super Bowl they played. I even left out most 4 year players. And players who were traded, Hence they would still be on their first contract. Do we not include Eli because he wasn't drafted by the Giants? Staubach because he spent 4 years in the Navy? You don't like the list, come up with your own.

But let's say it 28, out of 65. That's 43%. But if someone wants to come up with another number, have at it.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
28 Jul 2024 07:09
Yoop wrote:
Jesus Christ people. Read the thread. This wasn't about winning the Super Bowl, this was about getting to the Super Bowl on their first playing contract. How hard is that to understand? But let's say my numbers are off, and they probably are a bit because it didn't deep dive into players' contracts just the years they were drafted and the first Super Bowl they played. I even left out most 4 year players. And players who were traded, Hence they would still be on their first contract. Do we not include Eli because he wasn't drafted by the Giants? Staubach because he spent 4 years in the Navy? You don't like the list, come up with your own.

But let's say it 28, out of 65. That's 43%. But if someone wants to come up with another number, have at it.
without even looking I'am sure that the % has increased dramatically since the live ball era, late 80's, and took another big jump since 2010, QB's are just more ready to start these last 15 years, so obviously more will get to the SB as long as the supporting cast can help them, which to me is the obvious qualifier, the few that can carry a team to the dance ya can count on one hand, the Brady's and Manning's, Marino's, types are more rare then frogs hair, thats my point.

It takes more then just a great QB for him to dance on a rookie contract, I never agreed that defense wins Championships, just that ya have to have a good one to win it, because the team ya face will have that plus a good offense, basically it takes a complete team to do the SB shuffle :mrgreen:

I know it's tough being a Vicky fan Raptor, maybe it's time you come back home, embrace the G&G, where on our way to another run, and you can reap the glory, very probably ring in the near future, all is good in cheese land :aok:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jul 2024 07:39
without even looking I'am sure that the % has increased dramatically since the live ball era, late 80's, and took another big jump since 2010, QB's are just more ready to start these last 15 years, so obviously more will get to the SB as long as the supporting cast can help them, which to me is the obvious qualifier, the few that can carry a team to the dance ya can count on one hand, the Brady's and Manning's, Marino's, types are more rare then frogs hair, thats my point.
And you would be wrong.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
28 Jul 2024 09:51
Yoop wrote:
And you would be wrong.
like hell I'am wrong.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jul 2024 10:34
Raptorman wrote:
28 Jul 2024 09:51
Yoop wrote:
And you would be wrong.
like hell I'am wrong.
If you insist. But let's look at your timeframe. 1966-1980. 14 Super Bowls compared to 44. Yeah, okay, you win the point.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Raptorman wrote:
Like I said, I may be off a few. And for you young ones who only read stats, Staubach was drafted in 64 then served in the Navy until 69. See, he was an Annapolis graduate.

This wasn’t about QBs winning the Super Bowl, it was about them getting their team there on their first contract.
The post I responded to said "first three years", and now you're re-stating your argument to "first contract"? Not surprised.

"You young ones"? Pathetic.

By the way, your two "corrections" are wrong.

Griese, drafted in 1967, was in year 5 for Super Bowl VI:
1967 - 1
1968 - 2
1969 - 3
1970 - 4
1971 - 5

Bledsoe's loss was in the 1996 season, his 4th.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Raptorman wrote:
27 Jul 2024 23:08
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jul 2024 22:41

Terrible attempt!
He'll probably argue about Staubach due to his Navy service costing him his first 5 seasons or so ;)
So Staubach shouldn’t count as being on his first contract with the Cowboys why?
Staubach is such a unique case. I would argue that since he was allowed to have a Cowboys playbook in 1967 while playing for a sort of exhibition team of ex-Navy officers, and attended the Cowboys' training camp in 1968 before finally leaving the Navy for good in 1969, he shouldn't be counted with the other players on your list. He was getting experience that the other third year quarterbacks didn't get (and recall your argument in that post was "third year" not "first contract").
- Vince Lombardi

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
28 Jul 2024 12:35
Raptorman wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Staubach is such a unique case. I would argue that since he was allowed to have a Cowboys playbook in 1967 while playing for a sort of exhibition team of ex-Navy officers, and attended the Cowboys' training camp in 1968 before finally leaving the Navy for good in 1969, he shouldn't be counted with the other players on your list. He was getting experience that the other third year quarterbacks didn't get (and recall your argument in that post was "third year" not "first contract").
Was this before or after his 1967 deployment to Vietnam?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Raptorman wrote:
28 Jul 2024 13:37
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
28 Jul 2024 12:35
Raptorman wrote:

Was this before or after his 1967 deployment to Vietnam?
After. He returned from Vietnam in September 1967 and was then stationed in Pensacola. He used his leave to attend training camp in '68.
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Your list is not good

Bob Griese was in year 5
Boomer Esiason, year 5
Drew Bledsoe, year 4

keep digging china is only a name or two away :rotf:

I didn't even bother to look this stuff up because that is a obvious situation, they just seldom get to the dance or win it
Yeah Yooper. Why are we doing this anyway? Who gives an E______ F______ S___ about this useless ridiculous list? I'd rather talk about secret stadium sauce on krauted brats, and Sterling Sharpe's Hall of Fame snub. And Gillingham's and Vainisi's snubs. :nuts:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Texans pass rusher Denico Autry jut got popped for cheating, suspended for 6 games for testing positive for banned substances- likely PEDs given the length of his vacation from the league

He, like all of these athletes, tries to lie his way out of it. Super lame

“I immediately investigated the matter and discovered that a pharmacy to which my doctors submitted a prescription for a different medication, had, whether intentionally, recklessly, or negligently, included a banned substance. I want to be clear, at no time did I know or even suspect that this medication contained a banned substance.

This lame-ass excuse doesn't hold water when it comes to prescription medications. It does for supplements,which are largely unregulated and often contain other substances, contaminants etc. But - prescription meds are highly regulated, thoroughly tested and contain only the medication listed on the label. Otherwise, they wouldn't pass QC and they'd never even make it to a pharmacy in the first place.

So in addition to being dumb enough to get caught, Mr. Autry is also hanging himself by making stupid statements and baseless allegations. I suspect he and his lawyers will be hearing from the pharmacy shortly. :nono:
His first game back will be vs the Packers
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BSA wrote:
29 Jul 2024 14:19
Texans pass rusher Denico Autry jut got popped for cheating, suspended for 6 games for testing positive for banned substances- likely PEDs given the length of his vacation from the league

He, like all of these athletes, tries to lie his way out of it. Super lame

“I immediately investigated the matter and discovered that a pharmacy to which my doctors submitted a prescription for a different medication, had, whether intentionally, recklessly, or negligently, included a banned substance. I want to be clear, at no time did I know or even suspect that this medication contained a banned substance.

This lame-ass excuse doesn't hold water when it comes to prescription medications. It does for supplements,which are largely unregulated and often contain other substances, contaminants etc. But - prescription meds are highly regulated, thoroughly tested and contain only the medication listed on the label. Otherwise, they wouldn't pass QC and they'd never even make it to a pharmacy in the first place.

So in addition to being dumb enough to get caught, Mr. Autry is also hanging himself by making stupid statements and baseless allegations. I suspect he and his lawyers will be hearing from the pharmacy shortly. :nono:
His first game back will be vs the Packers
I can't speak to this specific example. But in general...

Every time that we are given a prescription, we can consult numerous pharmacists and med reps to identify every active and inactive ingredient in the med. Likewise, when a caregiver prescribes a med, we can give him a list of meds (or active/inactive ingredients) that are prohibited by our employer. The NFL is no exception. That's why the idea that a player "didn't know better" doesn't float. If they don't know, that means they didn't bother to check. The info is available for them BEFORE they use the med.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Receiver D.J. Moore and the Chicago Bears have agreed to a four-year, $110 million contract extension, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The deal guarantees $82.6 million to the six-year veteran and is the largest contract in franchise history. Only Justin Jefferson and A.J. Brown have received more with their recent extensions. The $110 million value is the fifth-highest among NFL receivers, behind Jefferson, Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill and Amon-Ra St. Brown. An average annual salary of $27.5 million ranks seventh at the position.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Graphic showing the increase in pass rush pressure over time. More players making more plays
I also think there's some improvement in charting these QB pressures, so that may have an effect on the data

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Jul 2024 22:56
Morgan, Bullard, and Monk all tagged as “multiple position” grey

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

what do the colors mean?

NCF