Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
26 Mar 2021 13:10
So the Dolphins move from 3 to 6, knowing for sure 3 will be a QB, this really missing out on two non qb prospects.

Quite likely 4 QBs go top 5 when all is said and done, Dolphins might literally only need 2 guys on their big board for pick 6.
Fins also have the 18th pick. in 2021.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

So if they keep this spot and then QBs go 1 & 2, this has got to be one of the stupidest moves in a while (not as stupid as the Bill O'Brien moves, but near the top of the non-Texans moves). This is the type of thing you do if you have 1 guy you know you want who you think will be a generational or franchise player, not if you are hoping to snag the worst of a group of 3 players. Also this QB class looks like ass. Justin Fields is a guaranteed bust and I don't know if I have even seen him play. But we've seen this before with QBs like him and they always flop.

Maybe they have something else up their sleeve. That would make more sense.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

texas wrote:
27 Mar 2021 03:48
So if they keep this spot and then QBs go 1 & 2, this has got to be one of the stupidest moves in a while (not as stupid as the Bill O'Brien moves, but near the top of the non-Texans moves). This is the type of thing you do if you have 1 guy you know you want who you think will be a generational or franchise player, not if you are hoping to snag the worst of a group of 3 players. Also this QB class looks like ass. Justin Fields is a guaranteed bust and I don't know if I have even seen him play. But we've seen this before with QBs like him and they always flop.

Maybe they have something else up their sleeve. That would make more sense.
:thwap:
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’m actually a big Justin Fields fan, but goodness Texas.

I do agree it’s a dumb move, horrible move really. Give up three first round picks to just get a QB. Not even sure which. That is scary dumb, imo.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
27 Mar 2021 07:29

I do agree it’s a dumb move, horrible move really. Give up three first round picks to just get a QB. Not even sure which. That is scary dumb, imo.
I agree, I thought it was strange for this reason. But they must have at least 2 QB's (not counting Lawrence) ranked much higher than any other player to do something like this. So they know they'll get 1 of their guys. Sounds like we can't discount Mac Jones going pretty high too.

Going to be an interesting draft to watch this year since the media is going to be way off on a lot of these guys.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I mean like the only reason to do this now is pretty much the Dolphins either having or bluffing offers from teams like Carolina and Denver and saying they are pulling the trigger now and not draft day.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Interesting breakdown of the Miami trade.
That’s because Friday’s addition of another first-round pick in 2023 gives Miami two first-rounders in 2023. And that puts the Dolphins in the enviable position of being able to make a move for a quarterback down the road if Tagovailoa somehow flubs.

And do you know who has allowed the Dolphins all this flexibility aside from general manager Chris Grier? Laremy Tunsil.

He should change his name to Herschel Walker II.

Because the former Dolphins left tackle, who was traded to the Houston Texans in 2019, has become the gift that keeps on giving.

The Dolphins traded Tunsil, receiver Kenny Stills and a couple of forgettable lesser picks to Houston for two first-round picks and a second round pick and some players since departed.
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 37660.html

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Tunsil's gas mask is responsible for this.

I still remember that.

2 minutes before the 2016 draft started, a social media page showed up with Tunsil smoking.... something.

Fell to the Dolphins at 13. Later traded away. Those picks then involved in the trade with SF.

That gas mask is going to be the foundation of Miami's roster for the next decade.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Remember when people were accusing Miami of tanking and how they are an embarrassment to the league a few years ago?

I think people may start changing their minds if the Phins become what they could potentially become.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
27 Mar 2021 15:23
Tunsil's gas mask is responsible for this.

I still remember that.

2 minutes before the 2016 draft started, a social media page showed up with Tunsil smoking.... something.

Fell to the Dolphins at 13. Later traded away. Those picks then involved in the trade with SF.

That gas mask is going to be the foundation of Miami's roster for the next decade.
Was gunna mention that too, if Miami does something with this, all gunna point back to that gas mask photo as one of the biggest turning points in nfl history. Big if, but yeah.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

go pak go wrote:
27 Mar 2021 15:58
Remember when people were accusing Miami of tanking and how they are an embarrassment to the league a few years ago?

I think people may start changing their minds if the Phins become what they could potentially become.
Miami will be fighting for the division title this year. They will be in the playoffs, one way or another.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Raptorman wrote:
27 Mar 2021 17:43
go pak go wrote:
27 Mar 2021 15:58

Miami will be fighting for the division title this year. They will be in the playoffs, one way or another.
Oh absolutely. They are on their way to being a top team in the AFC before too long.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

BF004 wrote:

Nah these big program QBs who get ranked high solely on stats and wins always flop. The only one who didn't is Joe Burrow (yet). I used this same reason to DQ Mayfield, Darnold, and Haskins and I have been correct on all of them because they all suck. And so will Fields. And Mac Jones.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

texas wrote:
28 Mar 2021 02:52
BF004 wrote:

Nah these big program QBs who get ranked high solely on stats and wins always flop. The only one who didn't is Joe Burrow (yet). I used this same reason to DQ Mayfield, Darnold, and Haskins and I have been correct on all of them because they all suck. And so will Fields. And Mac Jones.
While I agree that mere stats and wins don't mean that a big program QB is any good, meaning you need to watch the film carefully to evaluate them, it's pretty weird to claim Fields and Mac aren't any good without watching any film. Does not compute. :dunno:

A great supporting cast can hide a bad QB, but it also can hide a good one. For example a guy who is great at avoiding sacks and throwing when pressured may not get opportunities to show it, if he has an amazing oline and weapons.

I personally like college QBs who have faced some adversity, but don't think being on bad teams to be an absolute prerequisite.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

texas wrote:
BF004 wrote:

It’s usually because they never learn to play with adversity. They always have the better receivers. They always have the better protection. Then they get to the NFL and they have to make throws into tight windows while under a lot faster pressure. They can’t do it.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

texas wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Don't worry, the Niners only gave up 4 picks, not 5. :rotf:

See: https://thepowersweep.com/blog/the-john-hadl-disaster

Devine sent first-, second-, and third-round picks in the 1975 draft and first- and second-round picks in the 1976 draft to Los Angeles for Hadl, who’d been benched by the Rams after his poor showing against the Packers.

When the human brain experiences stress or fear, the delicately balanced machine that runs the body kicks into high gear, but not always for the better.

A study evaluated by Scientific American found that fear can sometimes make the systems that keep us safe force us into danger instead: “When our defense mechanisms malfunction,” the researchers wrote, “this may result in an overexaggeration of the threat.”

We call this phenomenon “panic.”

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
28 Mar 2021 05:39
texas wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Devine sent first-, second-, and third-round picks in the 1975 draft and first- and second-round picks in the 1976 draft to Los Angeles for Hadl, who’d been benched by the Rams after his poor showing against the Packers.

When the human brain experiences stress or fear, the delicately balanced machine that runs the body kicks into high gear, but not always for the better.

A study evaluated by Scientific American found that fear can sometimes make the systems that keep us safe force us into danger instead: “When our defense mechanisms malfunction,” the researchers wrote, “this may result in an overexaggeration of the threat.”

It is not panic. It is selfishness. I need to win immediately or I am fired. I will take stupid gambles because it doesn't matter to me. Since the inevitable is, I'm going to be fired and if the franchise burns to the ground so be it. If I beat the incredible odds and win with a broken down geezer I will be spared for another season or two. It is all about me.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Cdragon wrote:
28 Mar 2021 06:16
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
28 Mar 2021 05:39
texas wrote:

It is not panic. It is selfishness. I need to win immediately or I am fired. I will take stupid gambles because it doesn't matter to me. Since the inevitable is, I'm going to be fired and if the franchise burns to the ground so be it. If I beat the incredible odds and win with a broken down geezer I will be spared for another season or two. It is all about me.
That's certainly true in many cases. These days the coaches and GMs make so much money they really have nothing to lose if they make bonehead moves that backfire, even if they get fired and the franchise burns to the ground and stays there for awhile. It is what it is.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Cdragon wrote:
28 Mar 2021 06:16

That's why there has to be something to be said that the Packers and Steelers, the organizations with the least turnover at HC and GM are also one of the most successful.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Tough to say that of the 49ers, though... their regime is well-regarded and no one's job seems on a short leash right now.

I think the ideal situation for them is to take Trey Lance and sit him for a year behind Jimmy G.

Lance needs the time, but could thrive in an offensive scheme like that which makes a lot of the job a little easier. Jimmy G meanwhile can try to audition for the league and lead the team to substantial wins this year and they still control his rights for another year so they can trade him in that final season.

They can make this move now, if they have Lance as the #2 QB prospect in this draft, which would not be too surprising, because they don't anticipate his selection in the top 2. The Jets' staff is filed with ex-49ers right now, so they're not going in totally blind, either.

My guess is they have lance and Wilson very close--both are excellent scheme fits. And would be happy with either. And because they are NOT in a position where their jobs are on the line in the short-term, they can afford to manage this transition correctly for the long-term interest of the team.