Green Bay Packers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers GDT - 10/18/2020 - 4:25 EST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

As I said before. We have trends as to how we lose games. Unfortunately the Buccs have a few of those things that beat us. Any team that has had a good defensive front has beaten the living &%$@ out of us. The Chargers did it. The 49ers did it twice. The Eagles were able to do it to an extent by stopping our ground game. Now the Buccs did it.

That’s not the end all be all but the teams that can get to the QB beat us. And for god knows what reason we will just keep passing when we play those teams.

That makes the Buccs a better team than us. Until the Packers prove they can handle that type of team.
Last edited by lupedafiasco on 19 Oct 2020 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

it’s just the “not being in denial” club or “not pretending yesterday didn’t happen” club.
Who is pretending yesterday didn't happen? When was that said? I am pretty sure that I have said repeatedly that we got spanked or lost bad or put out one of the worst showings in recent memory.
I guarantee you the bears would be above the Bucs if they beat the Bucs by 28 points.
When did this become the NCAA where style points matter?

The Bucs make the playoffs, but I see 3 teams better than they are for 2020, Packers included. The Bucs were better yesterday.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 10:56
NCF wrote:
19 Oct 2020 10:49
Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 10:39
The Bucs are NOT the class of the NFC, not even close.
I was with you until yesterday. I wanted them to fail SO BAD. But, they won't. Not with that defense (which was WAY better than what I thought) and Brady allowed to be game manager. They are essentially the 2015 Broncos and they don't have to be flashy to be a contender.

I still think SF will give us problems and we will be incredibly lucky to get out of there with a win, but I won't pick the Packers in that one.

Seattle may sit at the top, but I still like that match-up for us better than TB, SF, or even NO, again. It kind of depends if you are looking at it from an unbiased outsider standpoint or strictly from GB's POV, but either way I slice it, TB is now in that conversation for top dog in the NFC.
I think the Bucs are a playoff team, just not the top of the Conference. Ya, they beat us. &%$@ happens. That is not a better football team than the Packers. 8 out of 10 games we beat them. Rodgers probably played the worst 3 quarters of football he has EVER played. The play calling was atrocious. The defensive game play was mind boggling. That isn't who the 2020 Packers are.
If you look back at the 13-3 Packers in 1996 you'll see 3 "clunker" games. Versus the Vikings the Packers converted 1 of 11 3rd downs. Versus the Cowboys the Packers converted 4 of 15 3rd downs. And versus the Chiefs the Packers converted 5 of 14 3rd downs. All losses. But as we know the Pack came Back to bring the Title back to Titletown that year.

Yesterday was a great wake up call for Coach LaFleur and his entire staff (same as the NFCCG versus the Niners). Shhhhheeeeeeeeesh! :bkw:

GO PACK GO!!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
19 Oct 2020 11:22
Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 10:53
go pak go wrote:
19 Oct 2020 10:44

Oh they are close. Definitely top 3.

1. Seattle (you have to)
2. Tampa Bay (they beat us by 28 points. Definitely not 28 points better than us. If better at all, but they still did it)
3. Green Bay
4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. New Orleans
7. LA Rams
8. AZ Cardinals
9. Carolina Panthers
10. Detroit Lions

My half a$$ attempt at an NFC Power Rankings.
I very much disagree. I don't even have them in the top 5. That is an above average football team that played their asses off for 3 quarters when we fell flat on our faces.

That we got beat means something, but not everything. That would be like saying the '96 Colts were a better team than the '96 Packers.

Any given Sunday.
Except the 96 Colts were winless and the Bucs are 4-2. You could argue the Bucs only lost to the Saints because of bonehead plays to NO's and CHI just like we are trying to argue for yesterday.

I am really disappointed the refs screwed us on that 2nd pick. There were two fouls by TB on that play and they didn't call either of them. Barrett was offside and Davis PI'd.

I am really disappointed in the rules screwing Aaron Jones on that great sideline catch. I am also disappointed on the timing of the throw from Rodgers but it was still a catch. I am even more disappointed by the gift TB received by Rodgers overthrowing Lewis that would have resulted a gain at least inside the 10 yardline.

I then am even most disappointed by the play calling of doing hopeless shot plays with 4 minutes left in the half to give TB an easy double-up drives and also really disappointed in our defense on not getting key 3rd down stops. I would feel so much better right now if we at least held them to even 1 if not 2 FGs there in Q2.

There is no question. That 12 minutes of the 2nd quarter was Seattle level epic breakdown. Except it was twice the points in twice the time.

We can beat the Bucs. I have full confidence in that. But the fact is they beat us no matter how you slice it. They held our offense to 10 points and they deserve to be up on us in the power rankings. If the roles were reversed, this forum would be bragging up and down and confidence sky high of how good we are.

We are on the 2nd tier of the NFC and my mind won't be changed now unless they can go into San Fran on a Thursday Night and get a win. Which I don't think they will. I always though that would be our first loss of the season. Now I am really hoping we can escape that still at 7-1.
They have a great front 7 and played about as well as a team can but IMO we beat ourselves. Rodgers was off, the OL had a terrible day, our RBs couldn't pick up the blitz and we couldn't rush Brady so he had all day long to pick us apart.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Oct 2020 12:11
As I said before. We have trends as to how we lose games. Unfortunately the Buccs have a few of those things that beat us. Any team that has had a good defensive front has beaten the living &%$@ out of us. The Chargers did it. The 49ers did it twice. The Eagles were able to do it to an extent by stopping our ground game. Now the Buccs did it.

That’s not the end all be all but the teams that can get to the QB beat us. And for god knows what reason we will just keep passing when we play those teams.

That makes the Buccs a better team than us. Until the Packers prove they can handle that type of team.
Bucs blitzed a LOT. That typically has not rattled Rodgers, but it did yesterday. I think the biggest reason is because we reverted to the big play mentality and didn't get the ball out. That and we insisted on running outside, which was all kinds of stupid.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 12:03
go pak go wrote:
19 Oct 2020 11:56

But we are doing Power Rankings right now. Not as of Week 17. So the Packers should be one below Tampa right now.
Why aren't the Bears 1 above Tampa? Why not the Saints? Why not look at the entire picture instead of 1 game?

Man did we get spanked, but I do not see that as a defining moment of our season.
It's too early to tell. Every one of the top 5 teams has flaws.

1. Seattle - terrible defense. Should have absolutely lost to MN at home. Only wins are against the NFC East and AFC East. Wow. Impressive.
2. Tampa - Lost to the Bears. You showed many, many ways, as have I, how their win yesterday was not vindictive of their actual season. They are not 28 points better than us. They had EVERYTHING bounce their way...including two non calls that let an interception stand.
3. Packers - Quality of wins low. Got spanked on national TV.
4. New Orleans - Barely escaped with a massive comeback vs LAC.
5. Should have losses to DET and ATL and even TB. They met all of them at their worst.

I don't think there is a clear class of the field in the top 5 teams in the standings. The only difference is we could have set that narrative with a win yesterday. But we didn't win. Somone has to be ranked 1. Someone has to be ranked 2. etc. TB has the tie-breaker over us. We got our a$$es kicked and quite honestly showed zero signs of life after the 8:00 Minute mark in the 2nd quarter. The game was still well within reach when the score was 14 - 10.

If the Packers get to 7-1, my mind will be swayed again for us. But why don't we let them prove us they are the top tier rather than debate they are and watch us fall apart on national TV again. Because we all have a feeling it will happen. We don't fare well in these top road games. They are really hard to win.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Packfntk wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 11:52
Why are we excusing away the Bucs 2 losses, but not excusing away the Packers 1 loss?
Agree on this, I think a lot of people are judging this off HOW we lost. But things get away from you once in a while, and I believe that is what happened to us yesterday. They looked shell-shocked. I think if we play them again it is a much different game. Who knows.

But the Bucs do belong to be in the convo of top 3, the Bears do not, regardless of record.
As much as it pains me you have to give the bares credit for winning with that defense. I got to see their game down here yesterday and and the difference in that game was a defensive turnover deep in the Panthers side of the field. The reason they are ahead of us is because they haven't had their bye yet.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Oct 2020 12:11

That's what frustrates me the most about yesterday. Two plays. Hell. Give them the pick 6.

But if the refs call one of the 2 flaggable offensives on the 2nd pick and Rodgers hits Lewis on the following drive, we can play our offense that was working and see how we actually matched up against those boys.

Yet, it also might be good to lose the way we did. Because when you look deeper at the tape, we have ways we know we could beat them but they didn't get to experience due to the flow of the game.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
19 Oct 2020 12:20
Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 12:03
go pak go wrote:

But we are doing Power Rankings right now. Not as of Week 17. So the Packers should be one below Tampa right now.
Why aren't the Bears 1 above Tampa? Why not the Saints? Why not look at the entire picture instead of 1 game?

Man did we get spanked, but I do not see that as a defining moment of our season.
It's too early to tell. Every one of the top 5 teams has flaws.

1. Seattle - terrible defense. Should have absolutely lost to MN at home. Only wins are against the NFC East and AFC East. Wow. Impressive.
2. Tampa - Lost to the Bears. You showed many, many ways, as have I, how their win yesterday was not vindictive of their actual season. They are not 28 points better than us. They had EVERYTHING bounce their way...including two non calls that let an interception stand.
3. Packers - Quality of wins low. Got spanked on national TV.
4. New Orleans - Barely escaped with a massive comeback vs LAC.
5. Should have losses to DET and ATL and even TB. They met all of them at their worst.

I don't think there is a clear class of the field in the top 5 teams in the standings. The only difference is we could have set that narrative with a win yesterday. But we didn't win. Somone has to be ranked 1. Someone has to be ranked 2. etc. TB has the tie-breaker over us. We got our a$$es kicked and quite honestly showed zero signs of life after the 8:00 Minute mark in the 2nd quarter. The game was still well within reach when the score was 14 - 10.

If the Packers get to 7-1, my mind will be swayed again for us. But why don't we let them prove us they are the top tier rather than debate they are and watch us fall apart on national TV again. Because we all have a feeling it will happen. We don't fare well in these top road games. They are really hard to win.
Power Rankings don't mean much. They get people talking and all that but if we go on another win streak this game isn't going to mean much outside of having us behind the Bucs for home field advantage if it comes to that.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

3rd Quarter:

Defense stops TB near mid-field. Bucs got there because of a play to Gronk with Oren Burks on coverage. The kicker made a miracle kick. Looked absolutely to go wide right and God said, "it's Tampa's day. I am going to bring it where it needs to be". Clark had good pressure up the middle on that drive.

Jones with a good run to the left side. Bak goes down. Rodgers with a horrible throw to Tonyan on 3rd down into coverage. Tonyan did the right thing by sitting his route in the hole and Rodgers led him instead. Should have been picked by Winfield.

Brady should have been picked by Amos. Packers defense holds them to a 3 and out. Good pressure up the middle by Keke to force the errant throw.

Drive #2 starts off with poor blitz pickup with Wagner and Williams. Sack. Delay of Game penalty follows for 2nd and 23. The drive is already over, but Adams converts a 3rd and 18. Jones gets a good toss up the middle for a gain of 7. EQSB drops a ball at midfield. Would have been a gain of likely 8 or so. Adams catches the ball but it's a poor throw and Adams is out of bounce. 3 plays of drops/miscues leads to a punt at midfield.

Brady hits a PERFECT pass to Gronk to split a double team to get the Bucs at the 35 yardline. Next play, Amos makes a terrible run blitz read to allow Jones to get 25 yards to get to the 45 yard line. Montravious Adams blows up through the middle and tackles McCoy for a loss of 3. Adams follows up again to single handedly stop for a gain of 1 to force 3rd and 12. Brady goes deep in the endzone. Jackson has the coverage but doesn't play the ball and gets called for PI. Defense gets called for 12 men on the field after that.

Driver starts with a run up the middle and stuffed for loss of 3 by L David. Screen pass is stuffed and Rodgers sneaks for 8 but can't convert.
Yoop wrote:

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Did we go no-huddle at all yesterday? Seemed like every play was snapped at the end of the play clock and they were able to time their blitzes easily. Think we let the weather scare us from trying to play up tempo at all.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

So much going on in here. Good talks. I really like what ringo added about good teams having clunkers. They'll do and yesterdaybwas an epic clunker. I dont feel it wasnlack if talent it was lack of being prepared and fire. Itbwas a fight and gb got clipped in the 2nd round.

Power rankings mean nothing at this point. It is a week to week month to month league. If the packers rattle off 3 or 4 wins in a row and clean up this mess this game looks like a blip. If they struggle next week and get blasted by the 49ers we can revisit this. I see a good good team that the wheels fell off against another good team.

Off topic but if it wasnt the packers it was sure fun watching the bucs front 7 work. They played loose and aggressive. They attacked and trusted the backside of the d. The steelers do the same. They bring pressure and play tight on wrs. If you give up a big play screw it. Win the other 20 plays. Green Bay has the team to do this. Get rhe pressure trust the secondary. MP needs to nut up and trust this team. He coaches scared imo

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
19 Oct 2020 17:02
Off topic but if it wasnt the packers it was sure fun watching the bucs front 7 work. They played loose and aggressive. They attacked and trusted the backside of the d. The steelers do the same. They bring pressure and play tight on wrs. If you give up a big play screw it. Win the other 20 plays. Green Bay has the team to do this. Get rhe pressure trust the secondary. MP needs to nut up and trust this team. He coaches scared imo
I agree. Stop with this bend defense. We give up big plays by playing soft anyways.

Also though, our front 7 needs to win one on one matchups. We did bring pressure at times yesterday and our players simply failed to win their one on ones.

Gary had a pressure. Preston Smith had a pressure. Clark had a pressure. But otherwise honestly our best players on the front 7 were Barnes, Adams and Keke.

We have too much invested in in our front 7 to suck like they are sucking.
Yoop wrote:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

go pak go wrote:
19 Oct 2020 17:17
Backthepack4ever wrote:
19 Oct 2020 17:02
I agree. Stop with this bend defense. We give up big plays by playing soft anyways.

Also though, our front 7 needs to win one on one matchups. We did bring pressure at times yesterday and our players simply failed to win their one on ones.

Gary had a pressure. Preston Smith had a pressure. Clark had a pressure. But otherwise honestly our best players on the front 7 were Barnes, Adams and Keke.

We have too much invested in in our front 7 to suck like they are sucking.
This goes to strategy and philosophy. Playing an elite QB they sold out all the way and attacked. They jumped patterns all day. They should have picked off that first bubble screen. They sent guys all day long even with a front that has guys who can get there on their own. This is the, I'm going to make something happen, because if I don't you'll probably score anyway. But I have faith that when I do fail my O can move the ball. And they aren't sitting around forever waiting to get the ball back.

When Pettine had a lot less to work with, he was a lot more aggressive. We were forced to try and make things happen. Yesterday we rushed Brady with nothing. 2 guys, 3 guys? 4 would occasionally get a pressure. Send a stampede. Start over loading their front and force Brady to make a diecision and get the ball out or get whacked like AR had to. This passive attitude is what will take us down not lake of talent.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

packman114 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 15:38
Did we go no-huddle at all yesterday? Seemed like every play was snapped at the end of the play clock and they were able to time their blitzes easily. Think we let the weather scare us from trying to play up tempo at all.
The way we use up the play clock like that every damn week drives me crazy. :messedup:

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

So PFF says we're on pace for half the QB pressures this year as last year. Could this be caused by trying to get the Smith Bro's to hold the edge against the run and not overrun plays?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

packman114 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 20:02
So PFF says we're on pace for half the QB pressures this year as last year. Could this be caused by trying to get the Smith Bro's to hold the edge against the run and not overrun plays?
Well we suck at that too.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

packman114 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 20:02
I think part of it is moving Z inside on pass rushing downs. I get they want to get Z, P, and Gary on the field at once but I think Z needs to be on the edge. I’m not sure why you change something that worked so well. Clearly P has struggled mightily as a pass rusher this season. Just have him rotate out on the edge with Gary and Z to keep them fresh. Obviously Z is better and Gary is the future as they drafted him at 12. You have to have the 12th overall pick playing.

Gotta stop being so pepega getting to the QB. But you’ve gotta keep offense from staying a head of schedule and missing tackles. It’s easier to rush on 3rd and 8+ than 3rd and 3.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Didn't Z have a ton of success rushing from the interior last year?
Yoop wrote: