General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
19 Mar 2021 13:35
A few nitpicky issues with this.

1.) It will take A LOT for the FO to admit a mistake without ever seeing him play. Not an impossibility that they know he's not the guy, but I doubt it goes down that way. Likely, they won't know if they were right until he plays. I think the decision has already been made.

2.) Even with a cheap year, 5th-year option, and franchise tags available, I can't see a team giving us a decent draft pick if WE don't see the value in keeping him. Maybe a 6th or 7th would be more appropriate.
I'm using Rosen as my guide here to an extent.

I think if Rodgers is playing like a God and we decide to stick with him, other teams would totally get that and ones who rated Love highly coming out of the draft would be perfectly willing to get their hands on him. Rosen played, and played BADLY and still got a 3rd because coaches think they can get something out of guys. Love entered the league young. I think it'd be pretty easy to gin up some interest.

As to point one... if Gutey's ego is too big to make a move, then he's a bad GM. And I don't see any reason yet to think that's the case

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
19 Mar 2021 13:41
Yep. Great post.

Only thing I think I may disagree about is Adams. I think he is the one player over 30 and 3rd contract who could still definitely be a Packer no matter who the QB is.
yes: Adams is a good caveat to mention that his presence on the roster for continuity with either Rodgers or Love will likely be locked in throughout this timeline.

I think that extension will be done this offseason and thus he'll be under contract for the duration of the transition, but I agree. I COULD see him being a cut candidate if his play falls off and he's due cap hits in the mid-twenties at the back end of his upcoming extension, but for the most part I agree with you.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Mar 2021 13:43
NCF wrote:
19 Mar 2021 13:35
A few nitpicky issues with this.

1.) It will take A LOT for the FO to admit a mistake without ever seeing him play. Not an impossibility that they know he's not the guy, but I doubt it goes down that way. Likely, they won't know if they were right until he plays. I think the decision has already been made.

2.) Even with a cheap year, 5th-year option, and franchise tags available, I can't see a team giving us a decent draft pick if WE don't see the value in keeping him. Maybe a 6th or 7th would be more appropriate.
I'm using Rosen as my guide here to an extent.

I think if Rodgers is playing like a God and we decide to stick with him, other teams would totally get that and ones who rated Love highly coming out of the draft would be perfectly willing to get their hands on him. Rosen played, and played BADLY and still got a 3rd because coaches think they can get something out of guys. Love entered the league young. I think it'd be pretty easy to gin up some interest.

As to point one... if Gutey's ego is too big to make a move, then he's a bad GM. And I don't see any reason yet to think that's the case
This is the most excited I have been to watch Packers preseason games in basically 14 years.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
19 Mar 2021 14:04
This is the most excited I have been to watch Packers preseason games in basically 14 years.
Hell yeah! Not only Love, but a draft class with even more uncertainty than usual.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

salmar80 wrote:
19 Mar 2021 15:37
go pak go wrote:
Hell yeah! Not only Love, but a draft class with even more uncertainty than usual.
I am still waiting for someone to admit buying and wearing a Jordan Love jersey. ;)

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Mar 2021 18:39
salmar80 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
I am still waiting for someone to admit buying and wearing a Jordan Love jersey. ;)
I doubt people were lining up for Rodgers jerseys 1 year into his Packers tenure, either ;)

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

salmar80 wrote:
19 Mar 2021 18:43
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

I doubt people were lining up for Rodgers jerseys 1 year into his Packers tenure, either ;)
I still have no interest. My jersey has a #4 and a #15 on it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
19 Mar 2021 18:43
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

My Rodgers jersey has the 31 star NFL logo on it.

So I had it when he was backing up Favor. :)
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Why does anybody think that Love could be traded later for a 4th round pick or even a 3rd round pick?

If he only backs up Rogers for two more years, we would be lucky to get any late round pick. Unproven QBs with no real playing experience are not the stuff of big trades, even if they have the most potential in the world.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
20 Mar 2021 03:47
Why does anybody think that Love could be traded later for a 4th round pick or even a 3rd round pick?

If he only backs up Rogers for two more years, we would be lucky to get any late round pick. Unproven QBs with no real playing experience are not the stuff of big trades, even if they have the most potential in the world.
The longer he stays on the team the less value he has because the team that gains Love loses control years on his contract.

I’m pretty confident the Packers are going to move on from Rodgers. It will ultimately be a ludicrous decision but it gives the regime a chance to get their own guy... even though they already have a guy and it also keeps the team from being too dominant to win a SB that way the fans keep coming back in hopes of seeing a SB and the Packers get to raise their ticket prices because they did well enough.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Mar 2021 04:39
even though they already have a guy and it also keeps the team from being too dominant to win a SB that way the fans keep coming back in hopes of seeing a SB and the Packers get to raise their ticket prices because they did well enough.
Where are all of these fans that are going to disappear after we win a Super Bowl? Mission accomplished, I'm out. I just don't get your line of thinking. Whether winning it all or being on the cusp, I don't see what that has to do with ticket prices. The only thing I can envision having a major impact is losing.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I will say I did feel that Lambeau and Packers fans in general got complacent from like 2011 - 2013.

I think we also got complacent from like 2015 - 2018. I think MLF brought back the umph again though.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Mar 2021 12:46
I will say I did feel that Lambeau and Packers fans in general got complacent from like 2011 - 2013.

I think we also got complacent from like 2015 - 2018. I think MLF brought back the umph again though.
sure I think fan ship sways as the success of the team goes up and down, and also with what seemed like complacency with coaches, The DOMS lack of adjustments on defense was on par with the way McCarthy made scheme adjustments on offense, which was miniscule to say the least, it's why I called Rodgers our hero, can you imagine if Trabiskey was our QB, we'd have been a 4-12 team, with AR he always found some way to win. and now with MLF he's back to being the best in the league.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
20 Mar 2021 14:56
go pak go wrote:

sure I think fan ship sways as the success of the team goes up and down, and also with what seemed like complacency with coaches, The DOMS lack of adjustments on defense was on par with the way McCarthy made scheme adjustments on offense, which was miniscule to say the least, it's why I called Rodgers our hero, can you imagine if Trabiskey was our QB, we'd have been a 4-12 team, with AR he always found some way to win. and now with MLF he's back to being the best in the league.
I really only feel like 2016 was a season where Rodgers "willed" the Packers to where they ended it.

The 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 rosters were really, really good. As good as any roster the Packers have had to be honest.

The 2015 Packers were just super strange as it was the season "opponents figured out the McCarthy scheme" midway through the season. That was definitely a "limping into the postseason" type year.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
20 Mar 2021 11:09
lupedafiasco wrote:
even though they already have a guy and it also keeps the team from being too dominant to win a SB that way the fans keep coming back in hopes of seeing a SB and the Packers get to raise their ticket prices because they did well enough.
Where are all of these fans that are going to disappear after we win a Super Bowl? Mission accomplished, I'm out. I just don't get your line of thinking. Whether winning it all or being on the cusp, I don't see what that has to do with ticket prices. The only thing I can envision having a major impact is losing.
Remember when the Packers couldnt sell out their playoff game against the 9ers?

Packers fans are like meth heads. The front office is the dude making the meth. If they make it too strong we don’t need to buy as much. But if they make it just weak enough we keep coming back for more in hopes of reaching the same high. They know what they’re doing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Mar 2021 15:54
Yoop wrote:
20 Mar 2021 14:56
go pak go wrote:

I really only feel like 2016 was a season where Rodgers "willed" the Packers to where they ended it.

The 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 rosters were really, really good. As good as any roster the Packers have had to be honest.

The 2015 Packers were just super strange as it was the season "opponents figured out the McCarthy scheme" midway through the season. That was definitely a "limping into the postseason" type year.
2015 was the year the WR position was almost void, a limping DEvonte Adams and zippo, that will destroy any passing scheme, that was a player issue more so then the scheme

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Mar 2021 16:09
NCF wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Packers fans are like meth heads. The front office is the dude making the meth. If they make it too strong we don’t need to buy as much. But if they make it just weak enough we keep coming back for more in hopes of reaching the same high. They know what they’re doing.
get serious If I remember correctly weather had a lot to do for the no shows and it was sold out, most NFL teams have fans just like ours, just not as many, and our ticket prices are average, and you get one of the best stadiums in the league to watch one of the best teams in the league.

you should be so grateful to be a Packer Fan, if you where a Lions fan I'am sure by now you'd have committed serpico :rotf: or how about the Bears under George Hallas Daughter Virginia? you'd be slamming darning needles threw your temples :rotf:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
NCF wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Using that metaphor, you're like a someone looking for the ultimate, perfect high, and are willing to risk ODing for it. ;)

I understand the allure of a cyclical approach to team building, with the aim of creating amazing peak teams every few years, and accepting the suck of the purge/restock years between. It sounds real cool in theory, and it would create stronger emotions and more drama than our model of trying to be a boring high quality team every single season. With the cyclical model you could potentially get a "we're gonna have the greatest roster of all time!!" -high every now and then, and get to enjoy the "fire everyone" -hate and the high draft pick hype in the sucky years.

Too bad it's a terrible idea in practice, mostly because the people who could enable success get fired in the rebuild years, and there's a very high chance the peaking never happens. Ask over half the league.

People advocating for that theory have one big one to explain: Why did the NE Patriots not do it like that? They obviously tried to bring a high quality team every year, and still managed to win it all so many times.

Obviously you don't need a rebuild/peak -cycle to win. Our current model can work - we just need to do it better. Why didn't we win the SB in past two seasons? I'd say it wasn't because of an evil conspiracy to not win, or because the approach to team building was wrong. It was because we simply didn't do good enough in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 drafts.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
20 Mar 2021 16:28
lupedafiasco wrote:
NCF wrote:

get serious If I remember correctly weather had a lot to do for the no shows and it was sold out, most NFL teams have fans just like ours, just not as many, and our ticket prices are average, and you get one of the best stadiums in the league to watch one of the best teams in the league.

you should be so grateful to be a Packer Fan, if you where a Lions fan I'am sure by now you'd have committed serpico :rotf: or how about the Bears under George Hallas Daughter Virginia? you'd be slamming darning needles threw your temples :rotf:
The game sold out because local business’s bought the remaining tickets. As for weather sure it was cold. It was cold for a sold out crowd in 2008 when the Packers lost to the Giants on a conference game as well.

And you are correct I would be just as upset as a fan of the Lions and the Bears because I want to win.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

How about we actually talk about the real reasons why the Packers had trouble selling tickets to the playoff game to the 49ers at the end of the 2013 season? Aaron Rodgers went down and the tickets went on sale during a losing streak. Simple as that. No reason to fabricate any other reason.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."