Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Everyone place your bets!
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I’m a little surprised Cleveland has gotten so little consideration as a potential landing spot for Rodgers.

They have a very good defense, they have a top RB and very good O-line, decent offensive weapons outside of RB1, Rodgers personally knows JC Tretter the center, and good friend Alex Van Pelt is the OC. With Baker Mayfield seemingly on the way out, there is certainly a need at QB.

Oh, and they have nearly $29 mil in cap space for ‘22 without making a single contract adjustment.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
25 Jan 2022 06:15
I’m a little surprised Cleveland has gotten so little consideration as a potential landing spot for Rodgers.

They have a very good defense, they have a top RB and very good O-line, decent offensive weapons outside of RB1, Rodgers personally knows JC Tretter the center, and good friend Alex Van Pelt is the OC. With Baker Mayfield seemingly on the way out, there is certainly a need at QB.

Oh, and they have nearly $29 mil in cap space for ‘22 without making a single contract adjustment.
I think they're farther down the list for a few reasons.
They've, somewhat, committed to Mayfield. At least that's what was said ending the season.
Maybe they aren't willing to give the control that Rodgers desires. Purely speculation on my part.
Cleveland is not seen as desirable a destination for Rodgers. Geography, weather, long history of front office problems. Again, purely speculation.

I do think a big draw is Van Pelt. Which is still why they are in the top 5 for options.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
25 Jan 2022 06:56
APB wrote:
25 Jan 2022 06:15

I think they're farther down the list for a few reasons.
They've, somewhat, committed to Mayfield. At least that's what was said ending the season.
Maybe they aren't willing to give the control that Rodgers desires. Purely speculation on my part.
Cleveland is not seen as desirable a destination for Rodgers. Geography, weather, long history of front office problems. Again, purely speculation.

I do think a big draw is Van Pelt. Which is still why they are in the top 5 for options.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Interesting little tidbit.

https://overthecap.com/the-future-for-a ... e-packers/
Packers could use that as a way to better comply with the cap by getting Rodgers to agree to a contract with a guaranteed roster bonus that would be due after the trade. The team could lower his cap number to $25.4 million prior to the trade by doing that. The downside to that strategy is the dead money would increase from $26.847 million to $32 million once the trade is executed with the Packers receiving a $5.2 million cap credit in 2023. That doesn’t help them for 2022.
As of now, Rodgers has a 46M cap hit, which would come with the 26.846 dead cap on trade or release.

But we would have to keep that 46M on the books till after the start of the league new year in order to trade him. Meaning Smith's go bye bye and next to no chance of tagging (trade or keep) or resigning Adams.

The benefit of keeping Aaron is we can change his '22 cap hit before the league new year, didn't think that was possible with the trade.

But this says we can basically take a 32 million dead cap hit this year, although freeing up an extra 5 million in '23, but then we don't have to get so crazy to get under the cap by the league new year. Say if we wanted to do a tag and trade with Adams for instance, this would give us an extra $20 million to work with before the start of the league new before we trade Aaron and/or Davante to Denver together. :P

This one I'd have to wrap my head around, but might make most sense.
Scenario 3 is to allow Rodgers to negotiate a contract extension with another team with the knowledge that on paper they need the extension to drop his salary for 2022 to the minimum. I believe, but am not certain, that you can include a bonus in a contract that only kicks in if a player is traded. The trade bonus should not count on the salary cap until the player is actually traded. If that is not the case then the two sides could agree to a deal where all of the guarantees and salary in the future would be guaranteed after a trade. The team and Rodgers could then execute another contract after the trade to move more salary back to 2022. The Packers would get a 2022 draft pick in that trade and would be able to keep Rodgers cap number no higher than $26.9 million for the year. There would be no dead money in 2023. This may be the most complicated scenario but also the best one for them.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
24 Jan 2022 09:34
I really think a team like the Titans would be a great place for Rodgers. AJ Brown, Old man Julio when available, Derrick Henry, super solid run game. Very good defense, good STs, good respected coach.

They literally got the 1 seed with near awful QB play. They protected Tannehill all year then he throws 3 picks in the divisional round. If I was Rodgers and looking at places I could affect winning...I would love to play Houston and Jax 4x per year. Instant trip to the Dance.

Where as in Denver he gets cold winters, Herbert and Mahommes to contend with.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jan 2022 08:55
paco wrote:
24 Jan 2022 09:34
I really think a team like the Titans would be a great place for Rodgers. AJ Brown, Old man Julio when available, Derrick Henry, super solid run game. Very good defense, good STs, good respected coach.

They literally got the 1 seed with near awful QB play. They protected Tannehill all year then he throws 3 picks in the divisional round. If I was Rodgers and looking at places I could affect winning...I would love to play Houston and Jax 4x per year. Instant trip to the Dance.

Where as in Denver he gets cold winters, Herbert and Mahommes to contend with.
Titans don't make sense to me because of Tannehill. He's a $38.6M cap hit in 2022 with a $57.4M dead cap number. Doesn't make sense this year. Next year, maybe as the dead cap number goes to $18.8M.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Could Rodgers age and performances in the post season cause some GMs to pause? He is getting up there in years - close to the age when a player's skills can go south almost overnight. One year Favre is great and the following he is finally benched. P. Manning is another example. Yes, Aaron isn't as old as these guys were but you never know. Let's hope GMs from possible suitors don't consider his age this offseason...

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I dont think tagging Adams in a sigh n trade is much of an option. I think losing the ability to do that is the cost of A)Not resigning him prior to this year B)Not trading him at the trade deadline because we were contenders C) Using his services the entire year on a lower than market deal.

Basically we traded a potential compensation opportunity for the increased chance to win a ring. We just did not win that trade.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
25 Jan 2022 09:04
Could Rodgers age and performances in the post season cause some GMs to pause? He is getting up there in years - close to the age when a player's skills can go south almost overnight. One year Favre is great and the following he is finally benched. P. Manning is another example. Yes, Aaron isn't as old as these guys were but you never know. Let's hope GMs from possible suitors don't consider his age this offseason...
Rodgers is about to win the MVP, or at worst be second. I think most GMs want that in their building. They probably either blame the cold, STs, or every receiver not named Adams for the loss. I doubt they watch that game and say "Eew we dont want this guy". Just like people who like Hackett wont say "Eew he only put up 10 points, take him off our list". Its the body of work they like. Both have a positive body of work.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pugger wrote:
I think there will be GMs who aren't interested for those reasons. But not enough, I think, to hurt his market. I'm sure most GMs will go in not expecting more than 3 solid-great years with him (unless he specifies less himself). After that its a crap-shoot.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
It's the greener pasture theory.

Just look how much we salivate over FA's we don't know much about. It is a basic human instinct to covet what you don't have. We are talking the last 2 time MVP. Absolutely GM's will fall over themselves to make their team relevant again. Because their team will be "different".

So yes. I hope we trade him away for a lot of picks and then ideally see them miss the playoffs for a better draft pick but more realistically watch them lose in the Divisional or Championship round.

It will be an absolute gut punch watching him win a ring at another place because he couldn't bring us one here.

I think it is becoming very evident that my feelings and opinions on the stars of our team has taken a significant turn of being sour.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Rodgers will be on the Pat Mcafee show at 1:05pm as usual today. I'm sure it'll be good for a few sound bites.

My prediction is Rodgers will announce his intentions on the Pat McAfee show at some point this offseason. Though would be pretty funny if he did it while accepting his 2nd MVP in a row right before the Super Bowl.
RIP JustJeff

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2022 09:15
Pugger wrote:
It's the greener pasture theory.

Just look how much we salivate over FA's we don't know much about. It is a basic human instinct to covet what you don't have. We are talking the last 2 time MVP. Absolutely GM's will fall over themselves to make their team relevant again. Because their team will be "different".

So yes. I hope we trade him away for a lot of picks and then ideally see them miss the playoffs for a better draft pick but more realistically watch them lose in the Divisional or Championship round.

It will be an absolute gut punch watching him win a ring at another place because he couldn't bring us one here.

I think it is becoming very evident that my feelings and opinions on the stars of our team has taken a significant turn of being sour.
Nah, he'll do what Brett did. Have a great season somewhere and then choke in the playoffs.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

The good news from Rodgers today is that there won't be a long, drawn out drama with his decision. He'll make the call to play or not before free agency. And there won't be drama between him and Gutey/the team. They'll talk, a decision will be made, and they'll move forward with whatever that is.

Still will be plenty of media drama, but nice to know things will move forward in a civil matter this season from inside the building.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
25 Jan 2022 13:41
The good news from Rodgers today is that there won't be a long, drawn out drama with his decision. He'll make the call to play or not before free agency. And there won't be drama between him and Gutey/the team. They'll talk, a decision will be made, and they'll move forward with whatever that is.

Still will be plenty of media drama, but nice to know things will move forward in a civil matter this season from inside the building.
It does appear than whatever differences they had last summer those seem to be behind them. I wonder if Rodgers was on that podcast today....?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pugger wrote:
25 Jan 2022 13:44
I wonder if Rodgers was on that podcast today....?
He is, right now. Not talking about football.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pugger wrote:
25 Jan 2022 13:44
paco wrote:
25 Jan 2022 13:41

It does appear than whatever differences they had last summer those seem to be behind them. I wonder if Rodgers was on that podcast today....?
He's mentioned several times that things are better with Gutey communication-wise. I don't know if that means they see eye to eye and agree on everything. They may just have a mutual understanding now that they want different things. But both are adults and reasonable and they just needed to talk it out to understand each other.

We'll see in a month or 2.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I feel like MLF played PR yesterday. "We want Aaron back... (but)".

Today I feel like AR played PR. "I will make a decision soon (by the time the Packers make a decision on Davante Adams)".

That is me reading between the lines.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
25 Jan 2022 13:51
I feel like MLF played PR yesterday. "We want Aaron back... (but)".

Today I feel like AR played PR. "I will make a decision soon (by the time the Packers make a decision on Davante Adams)".

That is me reading between the lines.
I don't think there is any question between those 2 parties, what each side wants. They've put it out there privately and now publicly. The question is whether they can find a way to mesh them.

I'm sure there will be a bit more posturing over the next month as well.
RIP JustJeff