Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:51
go pak go wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:34
I just don't understand why people are so afraid of losing. I thought titles was the goal?

We already have 11 years of no titles. To me, there is not much difference with your season ending in one or 2 weeks later than everyone else. Go with the cheap option an build a team to be a winner.

Expensive QBs don't win the big one. Mahommes this year has a chance of being the first QB I can think of in over 10 years to be a high paid, high salary cap QB to actually win the big game.
competing for the title is the goal, thats what packs the bleachers, most SB winners have expensive QB's, maybe not Mahomes expensive but they sure aren't cheap.

and you don't understand why people are afraid of losing because you never backed a loser.
You keep threatening "loser" as a variable in this decision when it isn't a variable.

I have backed losers. I backed the Packers in 2005, 2006, 2015, 2017, 2018. Those teams were losers. I know what it's like to be a loser.

The loser you are talking about is decades loser. Perennial loser. That doesn't belong in this conversation as a variable because that will always be the threat after Rodgers leaves. Having Love as a QB in 2022 won't set us up for a perennial loser. Love in 22 may make us a loser in 22 and 23, but it's decisions after Love that would set up as perennial losers. Just like it would be after Rodgers leaves via retirement in 23 or 24 anyway.

Losing in sports is not the worst place if you have good management and fan support. Being mediocre is the worst place to be in sports. The purgatory of mediocrity and picking 15th to 20th every single year is the worst place to be.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Add me to the list of also not thinking Love will be the guy.

But I am still perfectly fine giving him a season and seeing what we got in him. All I really care about in 2022 is improvement and if there somethin there we can depend on moving forward.

We should know that answer after 2022.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
Mahommes this year has a chance of being the first QB I can think of in over 10 years to be a high paid, high salary cap QB to actually win the big game.
The Chiefs also don't seem to have lost any all-star talent since giving Mahomes that contract, so they are still kinda enjoying the rookie deal benefits for now (at least that is my impression as someone who doesn't really follow their affairs). We'll see what happens to KC when cap reality sets in.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
29 Jan 2022 12:27
go pak go wrote:
Mahommes this year has a chance of being the first QB I can think of in over 10 years to be a high paid, high salary cap QB to actually win the big game.
The Chiefs also don't seem to have lost any all-star talent since giving Mahomes that contract, so they are still kinda enjoying the rookie deal benefits for now (at least that is my impression as someone who doesn't really follow their affairs). We'll see what happens to KC when cap reality sets in.
The Chiefs are doing the exact same strategy as the Packers did 2019 - 2021 and Saints did 2018 - 2020.

It's just that the Chiefs still have a chance to actually be winners.

Our strategy was fine. We were the best team two years in a row. It's just our players and coaches didn't step up to the plate when it mattered most.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jan 2022 12:34
Labrev wrote:
go pak go wrote:
The Chiefs are doing the exact same strategy as the Packers did 2019 - 2021 and Saints did 2018 - 2020.

Our strategy was fine. We were the best team two years in a row. It's just our players and coaches didn't step up to the plate when it mattered most.
yep, I have to agree ( don't want to of course :lol: :lol: ) and I have to admit much of the issue this year was Rodgers and his lack of trust for anyone not named Adams and to a lesser extent Jones, I think I'd blame Guty a bit for not providing him a better 2nd option, but he did cave to AR and brought aboard Cobb, fine, but Cobb again is rarely able to be counted upon.

still he missed a wide open Lazard, and a completion would have ended the game, problem with only relying on one receiver most of the year is that every DC has a blue print of trying to stop him, so when the PO's come the opposing DC looks and copy's what others have had success with and limit Tae to his 100 yrds and force us to win using someone else, thats why I cried so loud for another impact receiver 2 years ago, it just makes it harder for defenses to defend two dangerous receivers.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 13:05
go pak go wrote:
Labrev wrote:

yep, I have to agree ( don't want to of course :lol: :lol: ) and I have to admit much of the issue this year was Rodgers and his lack of trust for anyone not named Adams and to a lesser extent Jones, I think I'd blame Guty a bit for not providing him a better 2nd option, but he did cave to AR and brought aboard Cobb, fine, but Cobb again is rarely able to be counted upon.

still he missed a wide open Lazard, and a completion would have ended the game, problem with only relying on one receiver most of the year is that every DC has a blue print of trying to stop him, so when the PO's come the opposing DC looks and copy's what others have had success with and limit Tae to his 100 yrds and force us to win using someone else, thats why I cried so loud for another impact receiver 2 years ago, it just makes it harder for defenses to defend two dangerous receivers.
So true. Look at what happened in LA with Kupp and OBJ. Also Risen and Freeman. Jennings and Jordy. Dowler and Dale. Dowler and McGee. Lofton and Jefferson.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 13:05
go pak go wrote:
Labrev wrote:

It's so weird when we agree.

Like most things, having a better of "X" is always good. A better 2nd WR option would certainly be that. I think we had that too but MVS was just riddled with injuries all year.

Overall though, it's hard to blame a 2nd WR option when we lose 13 to 10 and the STs come up with 10 points short.

When looking back at 2021, I will blame MLF for not fixing the STs issue and Rodgers for not being a big boy and stepping up once again when we needed him the most.

And my coping mechanism is to call them losers. Because this missed opportunity hurts. MLF should be a SB winning HC. He is good enough. Unfortunately now I don't think that is going to happen.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I am adjusting my thoughts on Rodgers future a bit. This will probably change more over the next week or 2. But never thought I'd get even to 25% chance he'd be back.

25% chance he's back with the Packers.
10% chance he retires.
65% chance he gets traded.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
01 Feb 2022 13:53
I am adjusting my thoughts on Rodgers future a bit. This will probably change more over the next week or 2. But never thought I'd get even to 25% chance he'd be back.

10% chance he retires.
I am surprised so many have changed their opinions so much that he will be back. I still think they are playing a PR game right now to make the split as neat and nice as possible.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

One person who believes he will be traded and that has been right about absolutely everything else so far in the Rodgers saga is Andrew Brandt.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:02
paco wrote:

10% chance he retires.
I am surprised so many have changed their opinions so much that he will be back. I still think they are playing a PR game right now to make the split as neat and nice as possible.
NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:03
One person who believes he will be traded and that has been right about absolutely everything else so far in the Rodgers saga is Andrew Brandt.

Yep, and he's the word I trust over anyone else's. 25% back with the Pack is probably as high as I'd ever go.

I think hope and an inaccurate viewpoint is why so many think he's coming back. Hope, you can understand. But Rodgers staying because its "the best shot to win" is short-sighted, and IMO, inaccurate and really doesn't matter.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:38
I think hope and an inaccurate viewpoint is why so many think he's coming back.
I think it's fear. Fear of the unknown and fear of what life will be like without him.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Rodgers back if his restructure is minimum cap hit for 2022, which I think is something like $27 million, then I don't want him much over that in 2023, 2024, or 2025. Otherwise, thanks for the memories.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

paco wrote:
NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:02
paco wrote:

10% chance he retires.
NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:03

Yep, and he's the word I trust over anyone else's. 25% back with the Pack is probably as high as I'd ever go.

I think hope and an inaccurate viewpoint is why so many think he's coming back. Hope, you can understand. But Rodgers staying because its "the best shot to win" is short-sighted, and IMO, inaccurate and really doesn't matter.
If it's short-sighted, then we also need to think whether GM and HC feel like he's still their best chance to win in 2022. It's hard for a GM or HC to willfully step away from a guy who gives them a legit chance into the playoffs every year. But if they willfully trade him, that'll tell us something about their fortitude.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:41
paco wrote:
I think hope and an inaccurate viewpoint is why so many think he's coming back.
I think it's fear. Fear of the unknown and fear of what life will be like without him.
Same fear as 14 years ago. Fear, anger, and hero worship. Personally, I want a new formula: defense +running game + above average QB.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:44
If it's short-sighted, then we also need to think whether GM and HC feel like he's still their best chance to win in 2022. It's hard for a GM or HC to willfully step away from a guy who gives them a legit chance into the playoffs every year. But if they willfully trade him, that'll tell us something about their fortitude.
Their job isn't to be short sighted either. Their job is also to think about the future and the present, especially after this past year. It has nothing to do with fortitude. It has everything to do with putting together the best team they can.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:46
Scott4Pack wrote:
Their job isn't to be short sighted either. Their job is also to think about the future and the present, especially after this past year. It has nothing to do with fortitude. It has everything to do with putting together the best team they can.
It does have to do with fortitude. The GM/HC can say all day that they are looking to the future. But if they aren't willing to risk letting go of a legacy QB and a possible WC or better 2022, for the sake of loading up some prime draft picks and building... It takes courage to make that call.

Maybe you call that something else; faith, conviction, etc. I'm calling that fortitude because the GM/HC need to stand behind whatever they say and whatever they choose to do. That can be easier said than done.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:51
Pckfn23 wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
It does have to do with fortitude. The GM/HC can say all day that they are looking to the future. But if they aren't willing to risk letting go of a legacy QB and a possible WC or better 2022, for the sake of loading up some prime draft picks and building... It takes courage to make that call.

Maybe you call that something else; faith, conviction, etc. I'm calling that fortitude because the GM/HC need to stand behind whatever they say and whatever they choose to do. That can be easier said than done.
Before they ship AR off to another team they had better be darn sure Love is ready. If not their jobs are on the line too if Love falls on his face and the team struggles to win. Back in 2008 MM and TT could see what they had in AR so it wasn't as big of a gamble to move on from Favre even if those of us on the outside weren't so sure.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

No, it takes preparation, planning, and vision. If they think they can get Rodgers back for minimal market value and can build a team around that for the next 3ish years, they will do that. If they think Rodgers is going to ask too much of the cap and they can't build a team around him, they will move on. Again, it has little to NOTHING to do with faith, fortitude, fear, courage, or any such emotion.

A GM ALWAYS has to stand behind the decisions they make, they are the decision makers. If they do not move on from Rodgers in a fashion that can allow the team to retool for 2022-2024 then it did not mean Gutekunst lacked fortitude, courage, faith, or whatever.

If our GM or HC is operating emotionally then they have already lost.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 02 Feb 2022 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pugger wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:58
Scott4Pack wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Before they ship AR off to another team they had better be darn sure Love is ready. If not their jobs are on the line too if Love falls on his face and the team struggles to win. Back in 2008 MM and TT could see what they had in AR so it wasn't as big of a gamble to move on from Favre even if those of us on the outside weren't so sure.
Honestly, I do not think Love's readiness has much to do with the decision. We suck in 2022, so be it, we draft a replacement in 2023.