Play the Packer GM (Thanksgiving version)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2022 08:43
NCF wrote:
20 Nov 2022 19:38
Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:31

who says Z was looked at as a leader by the players? do you have any evidence that points that out? or is this more of that Alpha male BS thats been tossed around in this forum.

Lewis and Crosby are actually respected by the players, sure a lot of fabrication in this forum today.
We do have evidence that points this out. The fact that his Packers teammates elected him a captain in 2019 and 2020. What more do we need than that?
I thought it was only 2020, still why would the players be expected to vote for a player that spent most of the prior season on IR, or who might be cut because of his contract, imo players select others they know will be here
I think the timeline is important here. I think you have somewhat of a point and maybe the writing was on the wall a little bit after the 2021 offseason which saw Smith miffed by his contract situation and then sat out most of training camp, but I still think the captain thing was a big deal that could have been handled better by the Packers.

2019 - Za'Darius Smith had never played a down for the Packers and was elected captain along with Rodgers, and Mason Crosby. Those three + rotating captains throughout the regular season.
2020 - No changes... same three guys and same rotating schedule.
2021 - BEFORE the injury that put him on IR, he lost out to a group of 7, Rodgers, Lewis, Jones, Jaire, Amos, Clark, and Crosby

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... -captains/
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-el ... rosby-for-
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-el ... 021-season

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I want to see Jordan Love, and I think once the Packers are mathematically eliminated, you put Rodgers on IR for reasons being you don't want him to damage it further. Tell Rodgers that you are doing so because you're committed to him long term. If Jordan Love sucks, then he's your backup for another year and you ride the Rodgers train in 2023 since you're already paying him. Let Love's contract expire or see if you can get a late round pick for him before 2023.

And yeah, need another defensive mind in there. I think that's top priority for the off season. There's no way this much talent should be this mediocre or above average. We were expecting a potentially historic defense this year.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Acrobat wrote:
21 Nov 2022 10:46
I want to see Jordan Love, and I think once the Packers are mathematically eliminated, you put Rodgers on IR for reasons being you don't want him to damage it further. Tell Rodgers that you are doing so because you're committed to him long term. If Jordan Love sucks, then he's your backup for another year and you ride the Rodgers train in 2023 since you're already paying him. Let Love's contract expire or see if you can get a late round pick for him before 2023.

And yeah, need another defensive mind in there. I think that's top priority for the off season. There's no way this much talent should be this mediocre or above average. We were expecting a potentially historic defense this year.
I want to see Love play too. But I’m willing to admit that Rodgers WILL be a Packer and the starting QB in 2023. You don’t bench a guy that you pay like we are paying him. Unless he gets hurt or retires…
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Nov 2022 12:38
Acrobat wrote:

I want to see Love play too. But I’m willing to admit that Rodgers WILL be a Packer and the starting QB in 2023. You don’t bench a guy that you pay like we are paying him. Unless he gets hurt or retires…
Yep I'm thinking more so we know what we have. Game plan a few games with him. If he's bad, then we know we probably have to utilize a 1st-3rd round on a QB in next year's draft.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Scott4Pack wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

How about if he is no better and possibly worse than Love? Do you seriously want to lose games and delay returning to respectability because of money?

And the Packers could lose a lot more than a few games sticking with Rodgers. Davonte Adams will not be the only one to jump off the sinking ship that is Aaron Rodgers' Packers.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 21 Nov 2022 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

If you are the GM you don't need to see Love play. As fans we want to see him play because we don't see his training reps scout team etc.

Love is not the saviour. If he was Rodgers wouldn't be here just like how Favre was pushed out when needed to get Rodgers on the field.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Between now and March work on extending players or laying the ground work for trades. Continue to look for waiver wire gems and be quick to cut bottom of the roster guys that are not working out, along with signing street free agents with potential.

Beyond that and into March:
Look for trade partners for Rodgers and find a way to make it a post-June 1 trade.
Try to resign Amos to a 2-3 year deal worth $7-9 million a year or less. ($8 million voided dead cap for 2023 necessitates this)
Extend Rashan Gary.
Keep all other players making over $5 million with possibly the exception of Jones (Personally I want to keep Jones).

Let's take a look at those players making over $5 million (other than Rodgers and Gary):
Bakhtiari - Signed through 2024, cutting saves just under $6 million
Clark - Signed through 2024, cutting saves just over $3 million
Jones - Signed through 2024, cutting saves about $10.5 million
Alexander - Signed through 2026
Smith - Signed through 2026
Campbell - Signed through 2026
Savage - $7.9 million is fully guaranteed, only trade if can
Douglas - Signed through 2024, cutting saves just over $3.2 million
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 21 Nov 2022 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
21 Nov 2022 14:11
If you are the GM you don't need to see Love play. As fans we want to see him play because we don't see his training reps scout team etc.

Love is not the saviour. If he was Rodgers wouldn't be here just like how Favre was pushed out when needed to get Rodgers on the field.
Favre is a great example of how this team treats aging first ballot Canton star QB's, Sherman then Ted put up with constant threats of retirement for years, until Favre wobbled on and off about it right up to the start of TC before Mike and Ted said enough is enough, your outta here and going to the NY Jets, minus that last ditch effort from Favre and he may have stayed a few more years and retired a Packer and Rodgers would have been traded to the jets, showed his junk to a hooker and eventually retired after throwing a PO pick as a vicky :lol:

Favres antics resulted in the burn down of Jullieville and the sprout up of 47 Packer forums :thwap: :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:

I think most drafted QB's have the physical ability play in this league, and while one can do well in practice, real games are a whole new ball game, 10 times more pressure and those your playing against are not your friends, so we need to see Love in real games to actually know if the head games has matured, once we are eliminated I think we should play him at least a quarter of each game.

If he looks to still be thinking to much then I'd use the draft to bring in another QB, Rodgers wont last forever

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Scott4Pack wrote:
19 Nov 2022 14:52
Scenario: The Pack has just lost to the Titans. They are all but mathematically eliminated (already) from the playoffs. If you were the GM of the Packers and your job depended upon you making wise moves and doing what you can to instill confidence in the entire organization, what would you do?

This scenario can be revisited after every remaining game. I just had many thoughts wrestling in my head, so I wanted to start a thread for this now.
--> Plan to IR Rodgers soon. Let the coach tell Love this will happen soon and to get mentally ready for starting, and so that coach himself is ready to play him and has an offense ready to go to do that.

--> Tell Matt to join in on the tankathon or he's out, make sure we don't get a Dub in Philly.

--> IR Rodgers next week, cite the reportedly broken thumb. He don't like it? Good, get him pissed so that he wants out.

--> Start Love, see if you are content with what you have. If not, make QB a top draft need. If Love wins games, that's fine because QB is not a need and therefore tanking isn't as necessary. If he doesn't, then use the good draft position to get one.

--> Fire Joe Barry. He clearly overachieved last year, but is a mediocre coach quickly regressing to the mean. Get any worthwhile replacement (Fangio, Leonhard, etc).

--> MLF does not get to hire the new D-Coord, he's bad at it. It's a GM duty now.

--> I actually really like Watson, Doubs, and Toure as a young WR group for Love to grow and mature with. He can use some TEs though and a few OL picks to solidify the depth/future there.

--> On D, let's get some playmaking safeties. We need an upgrade over Savage and a replacement for Amos. Then add some depth at EDGE and DL.

--> Apart from position need, draft for mentality. Get badasses. I wanted IOL Kenyon Green last year, I want guys who just flat-out dominate you. Whatever the position is, find some guys with warrior mindsets on both sides of the ball.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

We're far from being mathematically eliminated, because there are 17 games and 7 playoff teams now. If I am the GM, I am trying to sign Odell. I'm not giving up yet until (and if) we lose 2 more games. You guys are crazy.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Nov 2022 13:22
Scott4Pack wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

How about if he is no better and possibly worse than Love? Do you seriously want to lose games and delay returning to respectability because of money?

And the Packers could lose a lot more than a few games sticking with Rodgers. Davonte Adams will not be the only one to jump off the sinking ship that is Aaron Rodgers' Packers.
To answer your question directly, the goal is to always win as many games as possible. That said, Rodgers is still a very viable starting QB. Don’t underestimate him. He has a known injury (thumb on throwing hand) and he clearly doesn’t play as well when it’s cold. But he has a lot more strengths than we appreciate.

The goal in giving Love playing time is to “throw some bones to him” to keep him motivated to stay a Packer and play his best when he does get snaps.

BTW, I think we draft a QB next spring, no matter the outcome of the rest of this season. And as pretend-GM, I would prioritize that.
:-)

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Nov 2022 14:57
Between now and March work on extending players or laying the ground work for trades. Continue to look for waiver wire gems and be quick to cut bottom of the roster guys that are not working out, along with signing street free agents with potential.

Look for trade partners for Rodgers and find a way to make it a post-June 1 trade.
Try to resign Amos to a 2-3 year deal worth $7-9 million a year or less. ($8 million voided dead cap for 2023 necessitates this)
Extend Rashan Gary.
Keep all other players making over $5 million with possibly the exception of Jones (Personally I want to keep Jones).

Let's take a look at those players making of $5 million (other than Rodgers and Gary):
Thanks for the detailed post! Good job!

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pckfn23 wrote:

Extend Rashan Gary.

Let's take a look at those players making over $5 million (other than Rodgers and Gary):
So we're probably stuck with Savage? Damn.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

bud fox wrote:

"Favre was pushed out" That's an...interesting way to put it. I remember it very differently.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
22 Nov 2022 12:26
Pckfn23 wrote:

Extend Rashan Gary.

It doesn't make any sense to cut him. He could be an $8 million backup if anything...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2022 09:43
Drj820 wrote:
21 Nov 2022 09:07
they arent gonna pull rodgers until they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. So if you want to see Love, might be ok to root for the L next sunday night in philly
rooting for the team to lose, your the person that needs a nap
Yoop, I didn't get the impression Drj was rooting for the team to lose. He was suggesting to those eager to see Love play to root for the team to lose in Philly.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
22 Nov 2022 12:29
bud fox wrote:

"Favre was pushed out" That's an...interesting way to put it. I remember it very differently.
Favre was the one who retired/quit. If he didn't he would have been our starter in 2008. But once he did TT and MM knew what they had in AR (I suspect Brett did too and that was one of the reasons why he "retired") so when Favre decided to return then they traded him to NY.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Nov 2022 12:43
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Extend Rashan Gary.

It doesn't make any sense to cut him. He could be an $8 million backup if anything...
How much was HaHa on the books for before we were able to dump him?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Nov 2022 15:33
Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Nov 2022 12:43
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

How much was HaHa on the books for before we were able to dump him?
CONTRACT:4 yr(s) / $8,338,501