Sammy Watkins- He Gone!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Tooothsome Jeb wrote:
22 Dec 2022 00:49
BSA wrote:
21 Dec 2022 12:51
But to deliver those results while you are learning on the job is absolutely spectacular. For reference: Holmgren was 27- 21 his first three years.
Different era, different rules, different everything. Holmgren and Wolf showed up in a very competitive NFC (and 5-team division) with the mission to rebuild a 1991 club that just posted a 4-12 record in a then "outpost" of the NFL with no quarterback and free agency was still a work in progress -no promises - in '93. I won't rehash everything they did...but by Sept. '95 those guys and those teams authored a 25 game home win streak that lasted exactly three years. You came to Lambeau, you lost. It was a top-down design to 1) get the players to make it possible and 2) make gameday highly unpleasant for visiting teams.

LaFleur and Gute walked into The House That Ron/Mike/Brett Built and can't get it done. Big games, bigger losses. Their present positions started on third base, not the on-deck circle of the aforementioned regime. They took utter scraps and a laughingstock and turned it into a championship powerhouse that lasted six strong years and left pillars for future success. Now anyone...the Zach Wilson Jets...and I mean, anyone, can waltz into 1265 and hang an L on us.

With the annual draft misfires, overpaying average/outdated players, misjudging roster talent, horrible corporate practices, a rubber-spined GM, etc, this team is in reverse and the momentum is going to be unrecoverable for the foreseeable future.

yoop, the floor is yours, Sir....
Before Yoop speaks, let's all accept the harsh reality that LaCoach and Gutey are now in the unenviable position of having to extract 3 miracles ..... miracles to reverse the unjustified losses to the NYG, the NYJ and the WFT teams. And the Week 1 loss to the Vikings. We're 6 and 8 now. :woohoo:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
22 Dec 2022 05:23
Tooothsome Jeb wrote:
22 Dec 2022 00:49
BSA wrote:
21 Dec 2022 12:51
But to deliver those results while you are learning on the job is absolutely spectacular. For reference: Holmgren was 27- 21 his first three years.
Different era, different rules, different everything. Holmgren and Wolf showed up in a very competitive NFC (and 5-team division) with the mission to rebuild a 1991 club that just posted a 4-12 record in a then "outpost" of the NFL with no quarterback and free agency was still a work in progress -no promises - in '93. I won't rehash everything they did...but by Sept. '95 those guys and those teams authored a 25 game home win streak that lasted exactly three years. You came to Lambeau, you lost. It was a top-down design to 1) get the players to make it possible and 2) make gameday highly unpleasant for visiting teams.

LaFleur and Gute walked into The House That Ron/Mike/Brett Built and can't get it done. Big games, bigger losses. Their present positions started on third base, not the on-deck circle of the aforementioned regime. They took utter scraps and a laughingstock and turned it into a championship powerhouse that lasted six strong years and left pillars for future success. Now anyone...the Zach Wilson Jets...and I mean, anyone, can waltz into 1265 and hang an L on us.

With the annual draft misfires, overpaying average/outdated players, misjudging roster talent, horrible corporate practices, a rubber-spined GM, etc, this team is in reverse and the momentum is going to be unrecoverable for the foreseeable future.

yoop, the floor is yours, Sir....
Before Yoop speaks, let's all accept the harsh reality that LaCoach and Gutey are now in the unenviable position of having to extract 3 miracles ..... miracles to reverse the unjustified losses to the NYG, the NYJ and the WFT teams. And the Week 1 loss to the Vikings. We're 6 and 8 now. :woohoo:
huge changes accompanied the Hiring of Wolf and Holmgren, we finally again had football people running the team, and we still do today, lets not forget that the Holmgren, Ron and Bert group where a one and done SB team just as it's been with Ted/ Guty, McCarthy/Lafleur ( &%$@ I hope I spelled his name right) so the end result on that hasn't changed, and we've still basically had about the same win streak going at Lambeau.

I've never really understood the wood people get comparing one regime to the other when teams have about the same record, sure times change but if the win/lost record is basically the same it's useless, Ron Wolf appointed Ray Rhodes as HC for krist sakes, then Sherman, why not mention that Toothless?

everything that happened this year can be fixed this off season, in fact we'd have more wins and given Minny a run for the division simply by still having Adams, or basically even just a better Watkins, the lack of ready to play talent at WR put more stress on a already poor situation with the OL, and hampered our running attack.

any blame for Lafleur should end with his hiring of Barry, and even that is debatable, I'am sure Guty and Murphy where in on that conversation, and I'd imagine Russ Ball brought coffee and donuts to that conference room too, point is, they should/ need have that conversation again.

every season, no matter who the coach is, we/I second guess coaching decisions because thats what fans do, sometimes it even seems like we where right, even a blind squirrel finds a nut, thing is we to often lack the for thought for why we don't run more, or throw more short passes, or use plays to set up future plays, but they do, and usually they are right.

actually I really like what Lafluer brought to the offense, much closer balance of run and pass, it was derailed this season by the things I first mentioned, all this whining about anything else is nothing but white noise imo

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Page 3 on someone we weren't sure if he'd even be here to start TC. Why he got this? Beats me.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

He wasn't Bad Moon Rison or Don Beebe. We took a shot and it didn't work out.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
22 Dec 2022 09:52
He wasn't Bad Moon Rison or Don Beebe. We took a shot and it didn't work out.
IMO Watkins played tentatively, even when blocking, which he was good at, rarely finished the guy off though, on several the guy he blocked still got in on the tackle, only sparingly did Sammy seem to give max effort at anything, his heart didn't seem in it, I expect if the rookies had stayed healthy Watkins would have been cut earlier