Packers Draft Class Overall Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Apr 2023 14:59
I would bet a lot that one of the rookie TEs gets a handful of starts or more.
I never expect much from rookie TEs. But if Tyler Davis is the obstacle, I'll eat my hat.

They'll get some starts and some playing time and have some specific roles for each of them and they'll have a ton of growing pains and like 25-35 catches apiece, but Tyler Davis isn't taking their playing time.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wild

Very notable thought on our trade backs and late picks....

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
29 Apr 2023 20:45
Hurry and hide this before the Guty-haters see it!
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

But seriously, I thought it was a great draft.

LVN has so much potential. Yet, he should still get many snaps in 2023 and play a diverse roll. I would never anticipate 10+ sacks from a rook, but he could possibly do it. I actually hope he plays as big a role in run stopping as pass.

The two TEs, as somebody mentioned, are like Gonzalez and Bronk, just without the murder part. They should help to open up the offense quite nicely. Give them limited playbooks this year and let them play loose. They’ll do fine. And from 2024 onward, they should be very good.

I truly hope that Wooden and help this year. I still think our DLine rotation isn’t deep enough, just because the new guys are on a learning curve. But that’ll change over time too.

I am hoping that Guty still addresses the Safety position. I like Amos but there’s no denying that he has lost a step. We still need the backend to have a resurgence of Savage or get somebody to save the back end. Still work to do there.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Plus Deguara is not a TE. He is an H back. AKA a fullback that can catch. And Deguara has not exactly set the world on fire with his talent. Davis is a real TE but as others have said he is actively bad. I would not be surprised if Davis is cut.

So if the Packers are going to have a real TE on the field, it will be one of the newly drafted rookies.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I have to say,

I LIKE this draft. I might love it. I really enjoyed watching it pan out once the negative nancies from the gap between Day One and Day Two quieted down (this isn't directed at anyone here, nor at Packers fans in general; it's the nature of a 1-round first night in which every major need that is not addressed with one single pick feels like it hangs over the narratives and haunts the thoughts of fans everywhere)

But I ALSO think a lot of these players are going to struggle when/if forced into early action. I think that expectations for this year should be more medium burn than a steady boil. One of my favorite guys in this draft is Karl Brooks, but he's making a competition jump from Bowling Green and switching positions. I think the video posted by Justis Musqueda that BF put in his (and Wooden's) threads are there to adequately temper expectations and remind us that these guys have a ways to go.

But I also just think that's how rookies work. Rookies are rarely instant gratification. And this team had enough needs and needed enough depth that drafting a ton of guys made sense. I also like this roster better than a lot of people like the Packers' roster, so I'm less concerned about if a Day Three player can start right away or if a rookie TE will be "The Guy."

I think the Packers will be competitive this year--in the mix for a playoff slot down the stretch--and the young guys will start to come into their own, but I am excited about this draft more for 2024 than for 2023. The rookies who pop this year for us will pop more as role players who flash than emerging stars, I think. The WRs may be different. But I'm certainly not putting a lot of our guys in contention for rookie of the year awards.

But again, that's just how I view rookies. A solid B+ draft for us. But I would give out far fewer "A"s than the media graders out there. Probably would call ours a top 5-7 haul in this year's class.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Apr 2023 16:47
But I also just think that's how rookies work. Rookies are rarely instant gratification. And this team had enough needs and needed enough depth that drafting a ton of guys made sense. I also like this roster better than a lot of people like the Packers' roster, so I'm less concerned about if a Day Three player can start right away or if a rookie TE will be "The Guy."
To build on this and back this up a bit when it come to WRs, 150 rookies have averaged 50 yards/game in the entirety of the NFL:
https://stathead.com/tiny/6cDwS
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023 ... ayden-reed

The last quote just shows a huge misunderstanding of the makeup of the current team. Generally a B to A majority. I haven't visited Walter in years. Sporting News is still a thing?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just a reminder that even those of us who are optimistic are also realistic.

Good summary

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect 50 yrds a game from some rookie receivers, both of Watson and Doubs could have done that last year, prior our coaches used rookie receivers less being cautious of mistakes, or talent in front of them, both Watson and Doubs proved last year that rookie receivers can excel.

16 games, now 17 at 50 yrds a game is 850 yrd season, I'd take that from a rookie receiver every day of the week.

depending how we want to use these TE's either could have a break out rookie season, I'd bet right now that Buffalo wont hold Kincaid back, that TE could easily break the 50 yrd barrier, it all comes down to how much play book a rookie can handle and need at the position he plays.

we have a opening at edge rusher, least till Gary is healthy, I see no reason at all for Ness to sit