Week 7 Post-Game: Broncos 19 Packers 17

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Luke Musgrave leaves the game with a concussion.

The logical follow-up.

Only surprising thing is that it isn’t a hamstring.

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

This game was some pretty ugly football. Like coach said, the broncos won because they ran out of time to lose the game.
Wilson’s best pass was his last one of the game.
GO PACK GO!!!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 07:54

The logical follow-up.

No. The hamstring will turn its head when Musgrave returns to practice in 4 weeks after the ankle has healed. We will see Musgrave go from "limited participant" to playing a couple snaps in a game and then he will be on the injury report every week for the rest of the year with no real answer until April 2024.
Last edited by go pak go on 23 Oct 2023 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
23 Oct 2023 08:22
This game was some pretty ugly football. Like coach said, the broncos won because they ran out of time to lose the game.
I thought Wilson's throw to Sutton on that first drive was incredible.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I kinda had a bad feeling we would drop this game, days before we played it. Why? Because the talk surrounding this game was "we got to at least win this game, or else it proves we suck."

When you go into a game with the attitude of needing to prove you are not bad, for one thing, even if you do win, nothing was really gained. For two, you can't go into a game like that and play loose/confident, which you need to win most games.

The vibe inside the team is not always the same as the vibe outside of it, but MLF called the first half like a guy scared to lose.

It has been pointed out that the O seemed noticeably better when Tom moved to C and Nijman came in at T. I was in favor of this long ago. I said that the connection between a QB and his C is a more important one than a lot of people realize. At this point, it is safe to call it with Myers: he is a BUST, plain and simple.

AJ Dillon does his best. The guy can play, but this is not the place for him. It is an Exhibit A of MLF not knowing how to use his players. We are still giving Dillon off-tackle tosses. On that 3rd and 2, we called a play where Dillon gets the handoff and two pulling blockers in front of him have to clear the way. Cripes sake, just let the guy run north-and-south. How is a supposed O guru like MLF unable to see this, when even Joe Fan can see it?

If you *really* need those stretch plays, have Emanuel Wilson run them; he has some juice. Seriously WTF are we doing?

No need to talk about D or ST, they were fine for the most apart (aside from Carlson's miss), definitely did their part and did not cost us the game. That said, lots of teams are doing more with less on defense, and we are not facing top-flight offenses. An O like Philly would probably clown this D. So yes, Joe Barry still needs to go, even if the problems run way deeper than him; no one is saying canning Barry will fix everything.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 07:54

The logical follow-up.

Rumor is that while walking in the locker room to get evaluated for the concussion, he slipped on some ice and sprained an ankle.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't think we have reached out low yet. I don't expect to win vs MN.

That being said, I also don't expect to be a 4 win team. I actually do think this team can turn it around and get some momentum with some wins stringed together.

We have an identity crisis. Eventually we will find it.

It is a long season. String a couple of wins together and suddenly people have playoffs on the mind again.

The bad part is we are losing to the cupcake schedule. But I do honestly expect we win a game or two in our November death stretch.

We just have to find our identity.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

MLF did a fantastic job coming in in 2019 and righting ship. I am seeing infighting from fans about how our season thus far does or does not vindicate Rodgers, and the response against is how Rodgers was not good last year. Forget that; Rodgers was not good in 2019. He was not *bad* that year mind you, he simply was giving us middle-of-the-road QB play. MLF did not simply turn that into a winning record, he turned it one of the best W/L records in the league.

He was the man for the job in 2019: righting ship of a solid but struggling team with lots of vet talent.

This year, he looks completely out of his depth at getting a roster of raw young talent to find its way.

That is super strange to me. MLF being a crier is a tired line, but I thought stuff like that would be more of a problem with old vets, while the Gen Z players would take to his softer style of leadership. Yet it seems the opposite is true and vets better suit him.

Now I finally understand why he has favored mediocre vets over young unproven guys with better talent, even more than Mac did.

I think who MLF misses more than Rodgers is Davante Adams, who I have long felt was the real MVP of 2020 and 2021. Rodgers was not elite in 2019, but Adams was. So MLF could win with middle-of-the-road QB play, provided there was a consistent force at WR1. 2020 and 2021, Rodgers improves his play a lot strangely close to the drafting of his successor. Yet MLF already won 13 games and got to the NFCCG without Rodgers turning it on. Neither are Brock Purdy or Tua elite. Teams are figuring Purdy out. Yet the 9ers and Fins both are top dogs with the system MLF is said to run.

The real fall-off came when Adams left. It's not that we had nothing at WR. You want guys Rodgers trusts? He had Lazard, Cobb, Tonyan. You want guys with higher-end talent? We drafted Watson and Doubs. We still have Aaron Jones. What we did not have is that bona-fide WR1.

Now Rodgers left. We are worse this year. Clearly. But it is not like we went from good to bad. Six games in, we are 2-4 now, we were 3-3 then, and dropped five of the next six, against some truly awful teams like DET before their turn-around and WAS. We went from bad to worse.

I think he is missing Bakhtiari quite a bit right now, too.... even if he is a cancer ( :twisted: ). Not only did LT play individually fall off a lot, but it put further stress on an OL that was already at capacity trying to cover Myers and JRJ's deficiencies. Now the OL is overwhelmed.

Rodgers did say one very true thing, though. The team has its worst issues when it tries to do too much, to which he said they need to go back and "simplify" things. On offense (MLF's side), these young players' heads are swimming. The WRs/TEs do not get it. The OL makes too many mental errors without the talent to compensate. They did not look the least bit better post-bye against an awful team.

MLF may not be a bad coach, but he is not the man for the job at hand.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

go pak go wrote:
23 Oct 2023 09:47
I don't think we have reached out low yet. I don't expect to win vs MN.

That being said, I also don't expect to be a 4 win team.
Me either. 3-14 seems about right.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

the good news for GB is we only play 3 teams with winning records the rest of the season, so if we do find something...we should be in position to do something with it
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 11:48
the good news for GB is we only play 3 teams with winning records the rest of the season, so if we do find something...we should be in position to do something with it

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

go pak go wrote:
23 Oct 2023 09:23
GJPackerBacker wrote:
23 Oct 2023 08:22
I thought Wilson's throw to Sutton on that first drive was incredible.
I don’t remember the throw to Sutton. :dunno:

It was a joke. He tossed it out of bounds to win the game. :thwap:
GO PACK GO!!!

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

musclestang wrote:
22 Oct 2023 21:16
offensively, oline is a problem, but also one thing I’ve noticed is Love is late on a lot of throws. He can throw it well, he’s still not consistent and I still don’t think he really trusts things he sees in real time to just react and make the play.
AGREE. Its almost like he is thinking too much most of the time. Love has all the physical tools. The game isn't slowing down for him yet. And yes...O line is a problem also.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Ok, here it is again.

In the first half ML called a screen to the side for the RB on 1st &10. Same as last week. Then later in the first half ML called a draw play to the RB on 1st & 10. Those plays are for when the pass rushers are pinning their ears back in passing situations. Possibly catching a blitz off guard too. Like on 2nd & 12 or 3rd & 9.

I understood this concept when I was in 6th grade. There is an exception but it didn’t apply in these cases. Of course none of these plays were successful because they were called under the wrong circumstances.

I do applaud ML for calling the QB draws and they were successful because those were passing situations. As long as you don’t get Love hurt.

Another issue is when Broncos #22 was ejected. Most coaches would have went after his replacement. Like Sean Payton attacking Packers rookie Valentine all day. But nope, ML calls a run up the middle.

Either ML is an idiot or he has too much on his plate. Maybe someone else should call the plays. With Rodgers gone we get to see the glaring weaknesses in LaFleur’s coaching abilities.
Love is the answer…

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Oct 2023 21:11
If we started Love in year one…and he sucked…it’s on Love alone pretty much. We’d just punt and move on.

Love failing after 3 years of riding the bench and allegedly being trained and molded by Lafleur is a Lafleur problem.

He’s failing the test
No doubt, IF Love is what he is now still in week 15. And personally, I lean towards your pessimism but the NFL is weird and things rather often than not change quickly.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

German_Panzer wrote:
23 Oct 2023 17:25
Drj820 wrote:
22 Oct 2023 21:11
If we started Love in year one…and he sucked…it’s on Love alone pretty much. We’d just punt and move on.

Love failing after 3 years of riding the bench and allegedly being trained and molded by Lafleur is a Lafleur problem.

He’s failing the test
No doubt, IF Love is what he is now still in week 15. And personally, I lean towards your pessimism but the NFL is weird and things rather often than not change quickly.
I’m with you. I haven’t lost hope.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 19:24
Just to expand on that thought. This was supposed to be the year to evaluate Jordan Love. But with this roster how can that be…
Love is the answer…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."