Week 11 Postgame: Packers 23 Chargers 20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
20 Nov 2023 06:39
Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Nov 2023 23:36
6.3 yards a carry is good? Ekeler getting 6.4 a pop is good?
Yeah, our run defense was trash as usual, LA just didn't use the blueprint to beat us because their coaching is pass-happy/incompetent.
they would have beat us minus 4 or 5 dropped passes, at least 3 put there offense on the bench, who wouldn't throw the ball against our depleted secondary, we gave up run yrds, and we surely would have given up more pass yrds and points minus the dropped passes.

best thing to say about the defense is pass rush, we got good pressure with our 4 man rush, they brought 5 often and Love beat it quite a few times, I think this was one of our best games for the offense, Love and the receivers.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2023 07:01
Labrev wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yeah, our run defense was trash as usual, LA just didn't use the blueprint to beat us because their coaching is pass-happy/incompetent.
they would have beat us minus 4 or 5 dropped passes, at least 3 put there offense on the bench, who wouldn't throw the ball against our depleted secondary, we gave up run yrds, and we surely would have given up more pass yrds and points minus the dropped passes.

best thing to say about the defense is pass rush, we got good pressure with our 4 man rush, they brought 5 often and Love beat it quite a few times, I think this was one of our best games for the offense, Love and the receivers.
Precisely.

It was the strength of their offense (passing game) vs our depleted secondary. I'd have done the same thing. It'd have worked, too, had they not dropped a bunch of passes.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
20 Nov 2023 07:06
Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2023 07:01
Labrev wrote:

Precisely.

It was the strength of their offense (passing game) vs our depleted secondary. I'd have done the same thing. It'd have worked, too, had they not dropped a bunch of passes.
Barry gets a pass based mostly on injuries, I doubt we have a DB starting that would start for most teams in this league at the moment, possibly Valentine, Nixon, Campbell is slowing, possibly injury related, missing Alexander, is like losing a player/coach, Owens is lost minus a player like Alex telling him what to do, same with Ballentine

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lions seem to be sputtering a bit, even though they are winning. Point being, they seem vulnerable. We need to win one of the next two. We do that, why cant we take the 7 seed?

I am moved toward optimism after yesterday even though the chargers are total goobers who love to lose.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

And yet, which team beat us most recently: PIT with their Bottom-5 (by passer rating) QB, or LAC with their great QB? PIT did, because when you run well, you do not *need* amazing pass offense plays to win in the first place, such that a few drops can sink your ship.

Run defense still is the bigger weakness of this team, even with the injuries to the secondary. And the backup DBs do not play the run well, so it also still kind of exploits them.

Tbh, even on paper, our second-string secondary does not look like all that bad of a group. Valentine is a talented young guy we stole in the draft. Nixon gets the job done at nickel. Balentine is backup quality, which is what a lot of teams have to start at one CB spot. Owens graded better than Savage last year and tbh I haven't felt like our secondary particularly misses the latter.

They held up well in PIT, too. Meanwhile, our run D was a dumpster fire in both weeks.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Hehe Clifford talking trash from the sideline.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I guess the one way I am reconciling yesterday is we should have beat PIT and lost to LAC. The opposite happened but the records and playoff tie breaking results are honestly the same.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pit and LAC game is just the difference between playing on the road and playing at home for a young team. young teams have trouble on the road.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We knew we needed to "steal" a win over this three-game stretch. We got it.

They lost on self-inflicted errors, yes; that's what stealing wins looks like.

And be glad this team is good enough to win games off of these errors now, because the Week 4-8 Packers couldn't do it with the other team practically gift-wrapping the game for us.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
20 Nov 2023 08:34
And yet, which team beat us most recently: PIT with their Bottom-5 (by passer rating) QB, or LAC with their great QB? PIT did, because when you run well, you do not *need* amazing pass offense plays to win in the first place, such that a few drops can sink your ship.

Run defense still is the bigger weakness of this team, even with the injuries to the secondary. And the backup DBs do not play the run well, so it also still kind of exploits them.

Tbh, even on paper, our second-string secondary does not look like all that bad of a group. Valentine is a talented young guy we stole in the draft. Nixon gets the job done at nickel. Balentine is backup quality, which is what a lot of teams have to start at one CB spot. Owens graded better than Savage last year and tbh I haven't felt like our secondary particularly misses the latter.

They held up well in PIT, too. Meanwhile, our run D was a dumpster fire in both weeks.
if thinking the run matters more then being able to pass, fine, if you think it's more important to stop the run then the pass, fine, it's OK to be wrong in this world, as long as your not loud about it :rotf:

Pitt beat us because Barry is to chicken &%$@ to trust his secondary in a heavy front, or even better gap design, and it wouldn't matter if we had all pro's at every DB position, and Ford isn't as Good as Savage and never has been, not to even bother mentioning Owens, Barry is the one who sucks, Savage quit on him last season and needed attitude adjustment, thats why he was benched, so obvious, and he wasn't the only one to complain about Barry, Alex needed some persuasion to back off on Barry as well, and that happened week one.

Labreve there isn't a defense in this league that if not to worry about a QB couldn't shut down most running attacks, we do it every time that is the case, if not for Barry we would do so even against quality QBing more often.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Nov 2023 08:51

I saw that in the game, and I'm not really a fan. I know they all do it and I'm just a salty old guy, but much of that trash talking is over mundane every down type plays and to me it signals a pretty low level of self control and insecurity. Not in every case, but in this one, you have a guy that suits but never plays, hasn't taken a snap all game, has had zero impact on the game, and getting in someone's face over his miscue. Don't like it.

Be happy he dropped it because at minimum this game is tied at regulation or we lose if he makes that rather routine catch. But get your digs in when you've done zero to impact the game, let alone that play? bush league. You're supposed to be a professional.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
20 Nov 2023 09:12
We knew we needed to "steal" a win over this three-game stretch. We got it.

They lost on self-inflicted errors, yes; that's what stealing wins looks like.

And be glad this team is good enough to win games off of these errors now, because the Week 4-8 Packers couldn't do it with the other team practically gift-wrapping the game for us.
I think most of us are glad, we know a gift when we see it, sure some want to just look good losing, and thats what several of our losses looked like, some feel Love is not the answer and there fore want to lose every game in order for low draft slotting and a chance at another prospect.

I'am glad that where a not give up team and doing that, although it at times has that appearance.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

musclestang wrote:
20 Nov 2023 09:23
Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Nov 2023 08:51

I saw that in the game, and I'm not really a fan. I know they all do it and I'm just a salty old guy, but much of that trash talking is over mundane every down type plays and to me it signals a pretty low level of self control and insecurity. Not in every case, but in this one, you have a guy that suits but never plays, hasn't taken a snap all game, has had zero impact on the game, and getting in someone's face over his miscue. Don't like it.

Be happy he dropped it because at minimum this game is tied at regulation or we lose if he makes that rather routine catch. But get your digs in when you've done zero to impact the game, let alone that play? bush league. You're supposed to be a professional.
I'm with you to an extent. That's why I thought it was funny.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Although the MKE gold package fans are sometimes clueless - like cheering Go Pack Go when we are on offense - the gold package fans REALLY GOT LOUD when it was important, right down to the last possession. Might have had something to do with the stadium announcer (and on the Jumbotron) starting the game with explicit instructions.

You may have noticed the bolts went into hurry up offense, of course that threw off the MKE fans. Dang scouts from the Chargers figured us out. 😀

Although there were not many bolts fans in attendance, when we made a mistake, or failed on a third down, they could be heard.

As always, those footlong brats are very tasty. :beer2:
IMG_5783.jpeg
IMG_5783.jpeg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 372 times
GO PACK GO!!!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2023 09:20
if thinking the run matters more then being able to pass, fine, if you think it's more important to stop the run then the pass, fine, it's OK to be wrong in this world, as long as your not loud about it :rotf:
You should take your own advice! :rotf:

You always take things to extremes. I do not want what you want on offense, just replacing the run with the pass. I want a balanced O.

I know you claim to want this too, but when push comes to shove, you and I both know that you always go to the pass being the answer. And you have been forced to admit that on other occasions.

Labreve there isn't a defense in this league that if not to worry about a QB couldn't shut down most running attacks, we do it every time that is the case, if not for Barry we would do so even against quality QBing more often.
I don't think you have a leg to stand on against Barry. As much as you insist otherwise, this defense embodies your philosophy.

If you think big plays in the pass are all-important, such that stopping the pass should be the focus, and that running the ball is a waste of time, then why should he call the defense any differently than he has been?

Last week we had a depleted secondary and they have Pickens and Johnson, so, gotta sell out the run to stop the pass, even against Kenny Pickett. I mean it's just the way of the NFL, even as QB play has fallen off and RBs are making a comeback, but why be ahead of the curve when you can be behind it? This week? OMG Justin Herbert, he so good! And he has Keenan Allen and a first-round rookie (because as you always say, those first-round WRs are quality help for an offense right away)! Don't worry about the run, stop the pass!!

Wait, there's a QB and/or receiver to worry about EVERY week? My god, we just have to play like this all year.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
20 Nov 2023 09:49
ou should take your own advice!

You always take things to extremes. I do not want what you want on offense, just replacing the run with the pass. I want a balanced O.

I know you claim to want this too, but when push comes to shove, you and I both know that you always go to the pass being the answer. And you have been forced to admit that on other occasions.
haha, I lubs ya man :rotf:

I also want balance, I think a 45/55 split pass to run is great, even 48/52 is fine when the run is working, thing is that is just harder to do, here's why.

run blocking is harder to do then just pass pro, Denver was one of the first (NFL) to incorporate zone blocking schemes, where the goal is to push DT's out of the way, where seeing less and less of that now, ( defense eventually figure out how to stop it) offenses are going back to gap blocking, where bigger is better, thing is bigger, and good are a premium, and harder to find in the 4th round ( where we often draft OL)

plus ya need a couple very good RB's, in our case now probably 3.

on top of all that who wins the close games? and most are close, specially PO time? teams that can produce big chunk plays and can score fast.

I want to run the ball, but not at the price of passing it, thats why I opt for throwers and catchers over ground pounders, you forget I grew up watching the some of the best RB's to ever play till just 30 years ago, I know what side of the bread has the butter on it :rotf:

the stuff with Barry seems like your defending Barry, he sucks, his alignments suck, his coverage schemes suck, there isn't anything that Barry does that I like, he is nothing imho that I would do. nada.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Ekler finished with 10 runs for 64 yards. Take away the 1 big 37 yard run (which did suck and was bad defense), he only averaged 3 yds/carry. That's not that bad.

What was worse was not being able to take down Herbert on his scrambles. Pressure has got to get home more often.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
20 Nov 2023 10:44
Pckfn23 wrote:
Ekler finished with 10 runs for 64 yards. Take away the 1 big 37 yard run (which did suck and was bad defense), he only averaged 3 yds/carry. That's not that bad.

What was worse was not being able to take down Herbert on his scrambles. Pressure has got to get home more often.
Unfortunately, we can't just take away runs. The scrambles did hurt, big time.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Nov 2023 10:45
paco wrote:
20 Nov 2023 10:44
Pckfn23 wrote:

Unfortunately, we can't just take away runs. The scrambles did hurt, big time.
Yes, I know we can't. But on designed runs, I didn't watch this game and thought that we were horrible. So I look at that 1 as an outlier bad play. Some tackling still left something to be desired. But overall Chargers couldn't get a designed run game going. So I'll call that improvement.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

By the way. Ekler is so SLOW.

That should have been a TD but the poor tortoise couldn't outrun anybody with a 10 yard advantage.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.