Rank the Roster 2020: #8

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 08 May 2020 08:39

Adrian Amos
5%
Corey Linsley
No votes
Preston Smith
58%
Elgton Jenkins
37%
Darnell Savage
No votes
Kevin King
No votes
Jace Sternberger
No votes
Jamaal Williams
No votes
Billy Turner
No votes
Rick Wagner
No votes
Alan Lazard
No votes
Devin Funchess
No votes
Dean Lowry
No votes
Christian Kirksey
No votes
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
No votes
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Rashan Gary
No votes
AJ Dillon
No votes

Total votes: 19

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
08 May 2020 17:06
go pak go wrote:
08 May 2020 15:11
BF004 wrote:
08 May 2020 13:33

TY, so using the power of maths, I can deduce, according to PFR's numbers, Z had 29 pressures the last 8 games and Preston had 12.

So yeah, like I was saying, his play trailed off a bit it seemed towards the end of the year. Especially some of those impact sacks he had early on some big 3rd downs and late in games.
A win in September has the same weight as a win in December. We relied heavy on Preston the first half of season. If Preston wasn't making those plays....our 2019 season could have been, very, very different.

In fact, Gutey Rodgers, and MLF may all be feeling a bit warm in their seat if it weren't for Preston's dominance the first half of the season.
I'd have to imagine that Gutey for sure would have taken the heat, but not so much Rodgers and MLF. That not only goes for the Preston signing, but certainly the Smith and Amos signing as well. Gutey's biggest job going in was fixing the defense and at least making them respectable, and I think he has done a pretty good job at getting Pettine a roster of guys to work with.

If anything, it's Pettine's seat that will be getting warm this season if he doesn't figure out how to stop the run.
Yeah, the reason in my mind the excuse days for Pettine are 100% over is if you remember, he said himself...Gutey came in his office and asked him what he needed to make it work. Pettine gave him a list and Pettine said himself he got everything he wanted plus more pass rush help than he even expected. (Said he only expected Z or P, Both was a dream). So even though i think he needs a stud to play beside Clark, or he needed an upgrade at ILB...if he was asked and he went a different direction..it is now on him to make it work. Gutey has done his part to help Pettine succeed.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
11 May 2020 08:28
TheGreenMan wrote:
08 May 2020 17:06
go pak go wrote:
08 May 2020 15:11

A win in September has the same weight as a win in December. We relied heavy on Preston the first half of season. If Preston wasn't making those plays....our 2019 season could have been, very, very different.

In fact, Gutey Rodgers, and MLF may all be feeling a bit warm in their seat if it weren't for Preston's dominance the first half of the season.
I'd have to imagine that Gutey for sure would have taken the heat, but not so much Rodgers and MLF. That not only goes for the Preston signing, but certainly the Smith and Amos signing as well. Gutey's biggest job going in was fixing the defense and at least making them respectable, and I think he has done a pretty good job at getting Pettine a roster of guys to work with.

If anything, it's Pettine's seat that will be getting warm this season if he doesn't figure out how to stop the run.
Yeah, the reason in my mind the excuse days for Pettine are 100% over is if you remember, he said himself...Gutey came in his office and asked him what he needed to make it work. Pettine gave him a list and Pettine said himself he got everything he wanted plus more pass rush help than he even expected. (Said he only expected Z or P, Both was a dream). So even though i think he needs a stud to play beside Clark, or he needed an upgrade at ILB...if he was asked and he went a different direction..it is now on him to make it work. Gutey has done his part to help Pettine succeed.
Pettines answer to stopping the run was using slot 12 on a single gaping under weight 3 tech, yet when it came to needing that skill set Gary was yanking splinters out of his arse, what we needed was another guy that could take on a double team block, and hold his ground, so one of our lbers didn't have to take ona OL prior to even attempting to make a play on the ball carrier.
worst defensive coaching Job we've had in years, twice.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Interior defensive line was not seen as a primary need in 2019.

As for Pettine, I 100% agree that excuse time has ended. We took a good step forward last year, but need to continue to improve.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 May 2020 10:04
Interior defensive line was not seen as a primary need in 2019.

As for Pettine, I 100% agree that excuse time has ended. We took a good step forward last year, but need to continue to improve.
if not ( agree DL was not considered a drastic need) then why take a player that most player rating services said his best skill set in college was as a single gaping penetrater ( 3 tech)? imho Pettines scheme failed more then the players trying to perform it, if your gonna scheme pass rush, and single gap penetration, you better crash the right gaps, or you get what happened against SF.

Martinez got the blame for Pettines innability to adjust.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We took a player to play OLB with some interior pass rush snaps. It really doesn't matter what the draftniks thought. It only matters what we saw in him. The Smith's while showing potential were a bit of an unknown as far as their ability to be elite. Thankfully they were and stayed healthy!

What happened in SF was generally their offense taking advantage of our poor run fits by the Smith Brothers. This was by design, so not entirely their fault. Pettine needed to adjust that quickly and he didn't.

I agree Martinez took too much flack for a bad situation he was thrown into.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I think we will all have a much clearer picture of who Rashan Gary is after 2020. The good news is there is plenty of wiggle room for Gary and The Smiths to be on the field together and get plenty of snaps.

With the disaster that became our run defense last year, I still think it looks much differently, today, if we had a healthy Mike Daniels all year like we anticipated having right up until TC last year.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 May 2020 10:23
We took a player to play OLB with some interior pass rush snaps. It really doesn't matter what the draftniks thought. It only matters what we saw in him. The Smith's while showing potential were a bit of an unknown as far as their ability to be elite. Thankfully they were and stayed healthy!

What happened in SF was generally their offense taking advantage of our poor run fits by the Smith Brothers. This was by design, so not entirely their fault. Pettine needed to adjust that quickly and he didn't.

I agree Martinez took too much flack for a bad situation he was thrown into.
we got gashed mostly between the tackles, and the reason for it was because we played aggressive single gap, and that aggressiveness was used to our disadvantage, once our DL commited to the gap there OL simply made sure they stayed in that gap, and the runner simply took the vacated gap right next to ( Adams Keke, LOwery etc, did I leave anyone out?) and the OL that walled them, and for 60 minutes Pettine had no answer, and the reason he had no answer is he doesn't even appear to practice anything other then single gaping.

your taking the obvious Smith Bros. didn't contain argument which is so leaky the water poured out faster then you could fill the bucket, sure that also happened, but the big runs where between the tackles not outside of em, it's a numbers game in there, and there are to many gaps to single them up against OL that can push your guys around.

you should know it's a scheme issue, heck we didn't even go out and get a 2 gaping run stopping DT in this draft, so I expect more of the same, cripes we didn't even go to a 30 base but a few times, but I'am sure thats going to be his answer, other wise big Bubba ??????? ( run stopping DT) would be a Packer.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
11 May 2020 10:40
you should know it's a scheme issue, heck we didn't even go out and get a 2 gaping run stopping DT in this draft, so I expect more of the same, cripes we didn't even go to a 30 base but a few times, but I'am sure thats going to be his answer, other wise big Bubba ??????? ( run stopping DT) would be a Packer.
I think everyone understands we got out-schemed by the 49ers in both games. But focusing on that ignores the 14 games were that scheme produced victories. I also think its still not even mid-May and only a few weeks removed from The Draft. I wouldn't be surprised if we added another body there, yet. I just think its going to have to be a bargain because what you are asking for, even though we all seem to agree we need it, is a very, very small role in this defense. When its needed, its needed, though, and last year proved that.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

138 yards rushing outside the ends.
http://pfref.com/tiny/CF8U8
104 yards rushing off tackle.
http://pfref.com/tiny/C3oL2
50 yards between the tackles.
http://pfref.com/tiny/p2I4z

The 49ers gashed us off tackle and around the end. They did not gash us between the tackles. While our DTs did not have a good day, the 49ers attacked our OLBs specifically because of how we continued to play them. We were not single gapping with our DTs for the most part, thus that was not the main issue of our failed run defense. Thus, this game is not a good example of why we absolutely had to have a DT early in the draft. Now we did add Treyvon Hester a week ago.