Divisional Round Games

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Whew, good thing Buffalo didn't take a rookie kicker into the divisional round. Glad they had their trusted vet.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:39
Whew, good thing Buffalo didn't take a rookie kicker into the divisional round. Glad they had their trusted vet.
Yeah he chocked. The rook did, too. Only the rook missed 13 other times this season, too.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

[mention]Drj820[/mention] howdid the NFL TSwift collab impact that kick so much???

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Last edited by Drj820 on 21 Jan 2024 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:43
@Drj820 howdid the NFL TSwift collab impact that kick so much???
Wind machine turned on turbo

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The bills are just like us over last decade

The chiefs are our niners

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

musclestang wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:24
I’d be fine if every fumble went to the defense if it wasn’t recovered by the offense. The most important thing on the field is the ball, the most important part of the field is the endzone. Lose it in enemy territory , you’ve lost it. I think it’s a great rule.
Me too. Fumbling should be punished. :rotf:

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:54
The bills are just like us over last decade

The chiefs are our niners
I hopped on to say this as well, really sucks for both teams to get knocked out repeatedly by the same team year after year in winnable games. At least the Packers aren’t cursed by the smoking man.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:13
BF004 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:08
Hate that fumble out of the end zone rule with a passion.
They absolutely need to change that rule.
Easy fix, don't fumble!

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:30
Scott4Pack wrote: But the league cannot award a defense with possession when they never gained possession of the ball.
You can make the same argument that the offense lost possession and didn’t recover it.

I’m with @YoHoChecko. The impetus is on the offense to retain possession. If the defense makes a play causing them to lose possession and it goes through the endzone, they should receive the reward.
The offense gets to retain possession when fumbling out of bounds, right? Should that be changed?

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Half Empty wrote:
22 Jan 2024 09:02
APB wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote: But the league cannot award a defense with possession when they never gained possession of the ball.
You can make the same argument that the offense lost possession and didn’t recover it.

I’m with @YoHoChecko. The impetus is on the offense to retain possession. If the defense makes a play causing them to lose possession and it goes through the endzone, they should receive the reward.
The offense gets to retain possession when fumbling out of bounds, right? Should that be changed?
The endzone and out of bounds are not the same. If the offense fumbles out of the endzone in their own endzone it is a safety. The endzones are, and rightfully should be, treated differently.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

williewasgreat wrote:
22 Jan 2024 09:15
Half Empty wrote:
APB wrote:

The endzone and out of bounds are not the same. If the offense fumbles out of the endzone in their own endzone it is a safety. The endzones are, and rightfully should be, treated differently.
thanks for the explanation, as I understand the rules, whomever has possession in the field of play retains the fumble, in the EZ, your own end zone a fumble is the same as a safety when it goes out of bounds, and when it's the opponents EZ the ball becomes a dead ball once it crosses the goal line, is what I'am saying right?, so many rule changes I can't keep up :|

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2024 09:26
williewasgreat wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

thanks for the explanation, as I understand the rules, whomever has possession in the field of play retains the fumble, in the EZ, your own end zone a fumble is the same as a safety when it goes out of bounds, and when it's the opponents EZ the ball becomes a dead ball once it crosses the goal line, is what I'am saying right?, so many rule changes I can't keep up :|
The rules have never changed on this.

fumble out of bounds anywhere on the field stays with the offense without a clear defensive recovery
fumble out of bounds in your EZ is a safety
fumble out of bounds into the opponent's EZ is an automatic loss of possesion and the ball is placed on the 20 yardline for the opposing team
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 09:36
Yoop wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

fumble out of bounds anywhere on the field stays with the offense without a clear defensive recovery
fumble out of bounds into the opponent's EZ is an automatic loss of possesion and the ball is placed on the 20 yardline for the opposing team
last one is confusing, if a player crosses the goal line it's a TD, what happens with the ball after he scores is what????

I believe your referencing that if the player fumbles prior to scoring and the ball enters the EZ but then goes out of bounds it's what? a turnover and the ball is placed on the 20, thats sounds right,

again so many rule changes, saying these have never changed, why would I know that? thats why I asked. thanks, I think. :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2024 09:59
go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 09:36
Yoop wrote:

last one is confusing, if a player crosses the goal line it's a TD, what happens with the ball after he scores is what????

I believe your referencing that if the player fumbles prior to scoring and the ball enters the EZ but then goes out of bounds it's what? a turnover and the ball is placed on the 20, thats sounds right,

again so many rule changes, saying these have never changed, why would I know that? thats why I asked. thanks, I think. :idn:
The ball is placed for an extra point if the player crosses the goalline.
Correct. If a player is about to score but fumbles prior to EZ and ball leaves offensive player control and subsequently goes out of bounds beyond the pylon...it is the defense's ball as a touchback (ball at 20 yardline for opponent)

No rule changes. It has been this way for at least my entire lifetime. If not forever.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 10:19
no kidding, a two year old knows that, again just answer the dang question with a simple answer, once a player crosses the goal line, is that ball live, or is it then a dead ball, nothing hard about that question,

the question that matters, since that was the contested situation with one of the fumbles I saw. :thwap:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2024 10:54
go pak go wrote:
no kidding, a two year old knows that, again just answer the dang question with a simple answer, once a player crosses the goal line, is that ball live, or is it then a dead ball, nothing hard about that question,

the question that matters, since that was the contested situation with one of the fumbles I saw. :thwap:
I keep answering your questions that you keep asking. I tried simplifying by breaking it into three pieces like you stated. I don't know what else to do for you. I will try and answer again.
The player crossing the goalline is irrelevant. It is the ball that is relevant.

If the ball crosses the goalline and is in possession of the offensive player...it is a Touchdown and the ball is placed for an extra point attempt.

If the ball crosses the goalline and is not in the possession of the offensive player...it can be recovered by the offense or defense in bounds. If the ball goes out of bounds in the EZ without clear possession of the offense crossing the goalline, the posession changes to the defense as a touchback (ball at 20)

None of these rules have changed. It has always been this way. It is just obviously we see change of possession due to ball flying out of bounds in the EZ infrequently.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2024 10:54
go pak go wrote:

He did answer the question with a simple answer... You asked what happens with the ball after he scores. That is what happens... It's a TD the moment the ball touches the goal line in the player's possession.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

If the ball crosses the goal line, and a player on offense has control of the ball when it crosses, the play is over in that very instant, and it is a score.

If a loose, live ball crosses goes out of bounds behind the goal line, turnover and touchback.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

williewasgreat wrote:
22 Jan 2024 04:34
Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:13
BF004 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:08
Hate that fumble out of the end zone rule with a passion.
They absolutely need to change that rule.
Easy fix, don't fumble!
That doesn’t fix a stupid rule.