Packers DC Search

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

I'll keep resetting poll as we interview more.

Brandon Staley
8%
Bobby Babich
8%
Aden Durde
No votes
Christian Parker
8%
Chris Harris
17%
Zach Orr
8%
Denard Wilson
50%

Total votes: 12

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Willink wrote:
24 Jan 2024 15:09
packman114 wrote:
24 Jan 2024 09:58
Where did Zimmer learn his defense? Is he a disciple of someone or is he like Fangio and created his own?
Bill Parcells
Spent a lot of time under Marvin Lewis, as well, which of course means he has a lot of Dom Capers influence. Bill Parcells was actually the 4th HC he worked under in Dallas, so I would say Butch Davis and Dave Campo were more influential in defining his style with the Cowboys.

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lol I mean...

Belichick looks like he isn't getting much traction yet

What if teams don't want to commit to a guy who might retire in a couple years? Then what does he do?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jan 2024 13:14

Something to consider. Would we want Evero if he is only here a year or 2?
Yes, that wouldn't impact my decision at all.

Be nice to change our reputation now from 'fires coordinators' to 'they get HC jobs'. And hate to play that game, but a 3rd round pick I think in back to back years certainly wouldn't hurt now that the curse has been broken.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
24 Jan 2024 15:26
lol I mean...

What if teams don't want to commit to a guy who might retire in a couple years? Then what does he do?
Or maybe the league knows that the game has surpassed Belichick.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jan 2024 16:22
texas wrote:
lol I mean...

Maybe. But I would still roll the dice on him for Packers DC lol

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

packman114 wrote:
24 Jan 2024 09:58
Where did Zimmer learn his defense? Is he a disciple of someone or is he like Fangio and created his own?
Everyone has learned and copied from the past coaches.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jan 2024 14:56
Labrev wrote:
24 Jan 2024 13:49
To me, Evero is about as wishful as Vrabel or Belichick. Carolina will block him from DC interviews and he is eying HC positions anyway.
Gotta say if I am him, they pass him up for interim HC and pick Tabor instead, interview him twice for HC and pass him up again. Looking at the state of that franchise, I'd tell them to go pound sand.
if they don’t promote him he will leave regardless

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

JKB wrote:
24 Jan 2024 16:50
BF004 wrote:
24 Jan 2024 14:56
Labrev wrote:
24 Jan 2024 13:49
To me, Evero is about as wishful as Vrabel or Belichick. Carolina will block him from DC interviews and he is eying HC positions anyway.
Gotta say if I am him, they pass him up for interim HC and pick Tabor instead, interview him twice for HC and pass him up again. Looking at the state of that franchise, I'd tell them to go pound sand.
if they don’t promote him he will leave regardless
I imagine he will exhaust all Head Coaching leads before DC gigs though.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't care about man or zone.

I don't care about 3-man front or 4-man front.

I only care that we hire someone whose theory is that we should try to contest forward passes in the air.

This is why I'm so open. Almost every defensive coordinator or scheme prefers to contest passes. Only Barry to my knowledge consistently ran with the idea that you keep everything in front of you and tackle with zero attention paid to the flats or any late leaking players ever.

You can't get worse with the personnel we have. We'll hire someone and people will have reactions and responses. Mine will be relief regardless. I have full faith it's an improvement.

I think the team would play better with no defensive coordinator and the players calling the plays as they see fit than we have done. I'm only sort of kidding. The lack of contesting passes in the first 7 yards of the field regardless of game circumstance was just the absolute worst thing I've ever watched.

I can really let loose with my feelings now that this is officially done and I don't have to guard my emotions against the possibility that Barry is retained so I can *hope* for better.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I copied and pasted my post from another thread

My concern is that LaFleur tends to hire his friends or people he knows above talent and performance. That’s been his pattern with players and coaches.

I understand that he wants someone he can work with and who will be a good fit. People can fool you in interviews. However, the NFL is a small fraternity and LaFleur could ask around about a candidate’s personality. Not a hard task.

I really don’t have a lot of confidence in LaFleur hiring a talented DC. But maybe Matt has grown and learned from his mistakes and will surprise me.
Love is the answer…

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

texas wrote:
24 Jan 2024 16:42
go pak go wrote:
texas wrote:
lol I mean...

Maybe. But I would still roll the dice on him for Packers DC lol
I'd take him in a second for DC. Any smart team would. Bill at half-speed is still better than half the DC's out there. And it would be my nightmare if Green Bay hired him as their DC.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Foosball wrote:
24 Jan 2024 18:15

My concern is that LaFleur tends to hire his friends or people he knows above talent and performance. That’s been his pattern with players and coaches.

I understand that he wants someone he can work with and who will be a good fit. People can fool you in interviews. However, the NFL is a small fraternity and LaFleur could ask around about a candidate’s personality. Not a hard task.

I really don’t have a lot of confidence in LaFleur hiring a talented DC. But maybe Matt has grown and learned from his mistakes and will surprise me.
I think that's a bit of a false narrative.

I think I have these facts right, but correct me if I'm wrong.

MLF inherited Pettine. Didn't hire a friend.

He didn't previously know or work with Mo Drayton. Nor did he previously work with Biasciatta.

He wanted the defensive scheme that the Rams had. And Staley had just become a HC and took most of their staff with him.

So yes, he knew and had worked with Barry. But Barry was also one of the very few people available who ran the scheme he liked.

Of course, another was Evo, who got an interview and wasn't hired. So maybe you can say the familiarity was the tie-breaker that led MLF to a worse hire. But one incidence doesn't merit the kind of generalized narrative you're expressing as a trend. Of the coordinator hires he's made outside of offense, Barry is the only one of 3 hires, 4 coordinators (including Pettine)

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Nobody would come in on Sunday more prepared than Belicheck. That's for sure. And I even think he would consider the "step down" from GM/HC because he just LIVES for football.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Jan 2024 18:33
Nobody would come in on Sunday more prepared than Belicheck. That's for sure. And I even think he would consider the "step down" from GM/HC because he just LIVES for football.
Bill may “live for football” but he’s also chasing Don Shula’s record for most HC wins. Becoming MLFs DC doesn’t get him any closer to catching him.

Besides, I don’t know how any staff could absorb a guy like Belichick as an underling. He’s widely considered among the best to ever do it as HC. Expecting the dynamic to just work with whatever staff he would join is a tough ask.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Any talk of Belichick as an assistant coach is absolute silly season and should not be given credence by any seriously thoughtful reply.

Nonstarter. Out of the question. Off the table. Not an option.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I have a better shot at eating a pack of Skittles outta Doja Cats butthole than we do at getting BB to come here as a DC.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Jan 2024 19:28
I have a better shot at eating a pack of Skittles outta Doja Cats butthole than we do at getting BB to come here as a DC.
I'd pay to see both. On second thought, well, maybe not the cat's butthole part...........

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

go pak go wrote:
texas wrote:
lol I mean...

lol surpassed! lol
BB will never go for anything other than HC.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

JKB wrote:
24 Jan 2024 19:31
go pak go wrote:
texas wrote:
lol I mean...

lol surpassed! lol
BB will never go for anything other than HC.
Never said he wouldn't.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Foosball wrote:
24 Jan 2024 18:15

This really isn’t true.

He’s hired 6 coordinators, Barry was the only one he had previously worked with. And that was 1 year, in 2017. Matt was the OC and Barry was an ILB coach. Hardly a super buddy buddy connection. Totally a stretch to say he tends to do that.

He’s had multiple occasions to bring his brother onto the staff and didn’t.

Not really sure where this stigma comes from.