Ty'Ron Hopper, LB, Missouri, 2024 3rd round pick #91

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Grade

Poll ended at 03 May 2024 21:56

A
No votes
B
25%
C
75%
D
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 8

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2024 09:49
Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2024 09:25
strange pick imo
with new kicking rules more lbers will be needed, same with the switch to 4-3 base
Definitely.

kick-offs will be loaded with athletic linebackers bigger safeties this year.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Labrev wrote:
09 May 2024 16:18
Handy Errman did a break-down of Hopper and it sounds like he is a true boom-or-bust pick. He gets himself in position, but the execution (tackling) is his fatal flaw. So either we fix that and he becomes a stud, or we don't and he's basically useless (no ST value without sound tackling).

I guess I don't mind taking a boom-or-bust swing with our bonus Round 3 pick. I wouldn't have taken this particular bet, myself. If tackling is an issue this late in his playing career, I really doubt there is any changing it. And to the extent that tackling can be improved with coaching, I can see it realistically amounting to, like... a ~3-6% improvement. His missed-tackle percentage is at 22(!) and change so he will still be one of the worst tacklers in football if his improvement is by less than a double-digit margin.

I do believe Hafley and Campanile will make a point to coach tackling thoroughly with our whole defense though, so he landed up in the right situation for himself. And if I am wrong, this is potentially a major homerun hit.
Drafting a Division 1 defensive player that can't tackle is borderline "dereliction of Gutey".