Have you switched careers?

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Well, first classes done. One in my program, two at the tech school learning autoCAD. Found out yesterday one course is getting waived for me (Research Methods), so I am going to push it to graduate next August instead of Dec 2021. That means three classes in fall, three in spring, and two in summer (including internship). Three grad classes is full time, so a lot of work. From talking with another student who has been in the program longer, the summer course I took recently is one of the harder ones in the curriculum and I got a 98.2% as my final %, so not too worried.

I have it planned to not only get the degree (M.S. in Manufacturing Engineering), but also get the Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate which should be pretty valuable.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
07 Aug 2020 23:26
Well, first classes done. One in my program, two at the tech school learning autoCAD. Found out yesterday one course is getting waived for me (Research Methods), so I am going to push it to graduate next August instead of Dec 2021. That means three classes in fall, three in spring, and two in summer (including internship). Three grad classes is full time, so a lot of work. From talking with another student who has been in the program longer, the summer course I took recently is one of the harder ones in the curriculum and I got a 98.2% as my final %, so not too worried.

I have it planned to not only get the degree (M.S. in Manufacturing Engineering), but also get the Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate which should be pretty valuable.
congrats on a good start. You must be very smart!
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

wallyuwl wrote:
07 Aug 2020 23:26

Please let us know when you learn about Cpk (process capability index). I have been told that a Cpk of 1.33 is the standard manufacturers should strive to meet to minimize scrap.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Started my masters program this last week. I can handle the reading, but keeping up with the papers will be the real challenge. Especially with football right around the corner!

Pretty excited to get moving on this though!
RIP JustJeff

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

I made a big career change from management to owner put my butt on the line for 3.5 million over 10 years. Sure people will think I am a jerk at times for being demanding but nobody else in the building has their home and life savings on the line. I am changing the culture and it will not be comfortable for the employees or me. I walked by a restroom and the door was locked but I could hear that video was being played on a phone. The bathroom was occupied for 25 minutes right up till break time at 3. I identified the offender and he is on my radar I will pull weeds.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Welp, not necessarily a career change coming up, but combining both fields I've done.

After 9 years working as an actuary before dabbling in Data Science, I just accepted a job where the title is "Associate Actuary - Data Science". Amazing fit for what I wanna do, really lucked into even finding this roll, was not looking for a job at all.

I'd still quit it in 10 seconds the next time 'Football Data Analyst' is offered by team GB Packers. :lol:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
04 Sep 2020 07:20
I made a big career change from management to owner put my butt on the line for 3.5 million over 10 years. Sure people will think I am a jerk at times for being demanding but nobody else in the building has their home and life savings on the line. I am changing the culture and it will not be comfortable for the employees or me. I walked by a restroom and the door was locked but I could hear that video was being played on a phone. The bathroom was occupied for 25 minutes right up till break time at 3. I identified the offender and he is on my radar I will pull weeds.
Just remember that the cheapest way to folks to do their best work is if they play for each other. As in being a good team.

If they are just machines collecting paychecks, it's mediocre, unless you have McDonalds -level of replacebility. If they become a team against the owner... Usually not good.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Well, so far enjoying my time in my masters course for CIS. At the beginning I initially decided to do a software development concentration, but as I make my way through a few classes on SQL and database, I'm tempted to switch to data management. I should be done next year in May.

Any opinions here?
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

salmar80 wrote:
31 Oct 2020 12:55
If they become a team against the owner... Usually not good.
I had a positive experience with this. Our Director had to step down due to health reasons and they hired some dick replacement. 5 months it took for my team to get the guy &%$@ canned. They split up his responsibilities and passed them down to us. My career experience of the 1-year "Prove It" deal.

Read More. Post Less.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheGreenMan wrote:
14 Apr 2021 21:30
Well, so far enjoying my time in my masters course for CIS. At the beginning I initially decided to do a software development concentration, but as I make my way through a few classes on SQL and database, I'm tempted to switch to data management. I should be done next year in May.

Any opinions here?
It is good you're learning what you like and don't like early in your program. I am in a similar position, but much further along. In my M.S. Manufacturing Engineering (ME) I only have to take 9 classes (got one waived), including internship. Took one class in summer, three in fall, three currently, two more this coming summer. Two of my first 4 classes were in safety, and the other two I didn't really learn much of anything directly related to the meat and potatoes of ME. This semester I have one class in Sig-Sigma principles (one of the fall classes was, too, but not in depth and it was narrowly focused), one in Quality, and one in Program Management. I am not business-minded enough for program management even though I liked the course, and hate Six Sigma and Quality (both the classes and topics). I have an internship this summer and one more class related to Six-Sigma.

My internship is in Environmental Health & Safety, at a smallish company that makes coffee products. I'll be the safety person at the plant 4 out of 5 days per week as the main person travels and spends most of the time at the other location. But I figured out about three months ago Safety is the way I wanted to go after being exposed to process improvement parts of ME. And the money is better in Safety, too, which is nice. I can get into Safety with ME, but it is more difficult than with a Safety degree. So, I'm probably going to have to do another Masters in that (I'm looking at Murray State and there is a private for-profit school in Florida and I know someone who has gone there). I should be able to get several courses waived, but am still looking at a minimum of 6 courses.

So, to answer your question: if you know what you like and don't like early in your program, switch while you can without costing much time or money.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheGreenMan wrote:

Any opinions here?
How are things going for you with this?

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

wallyuwl wrote:
06 Jun 2021 22:57
TheGreenMan wrote:

Any opinions here?
How are things going for you with this?
Hey wally!

It's definitely picked up this summer and is one of the reasons why I've been MIA. Now that the season is here, I hope to find some time to come and post though.

At the rate I'm going I'll be done next spring still. I'm currently doing software development, but still have time to opt to something different. I'm certainly glad I made the decision to go back a year ago now - hoping it'll all pay off in the end.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheGreenMan wrote:
12 Sep 2021 10:14
It's definitely picked up this summer and is one of the reasons why I've been MIA. Now that the season is here, I hope to find some time to come and post though.
:aok:

We miss you over here.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
12 Sep 2021 10:49
TheGreenMan wrote:
12 Sep 2021 10:14
:aok:

We miss you over here.
Ditto.

I miss having "intelligent" football conversation. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 Apr 2021 11:57
his semester I have one class in Sig-Sigma principles (one of the fall classes was, too, but not in depth and it was narrowly focused), one in Quality, and one in Program Management. I am not business-minded enough for program management even though I liked the course, and hate Six Sigma and Quality (both the classes and topics). I have an internship this summer and one more class related to Six-Sigma.
I've spent much of my summer doing refresher courses on various project management topics as I'm taking the PMP test here soon. Had a bunch on quality, including a course on Six Sigma.

Industrial Engineering has a lot of crossover with project management and program management, which draws heavily from Civil Engineers (which is what I am).

Its one of those things, I'm getting it and the refresher training is certainly useful, but I'm not sure it'll matter in the slightest aside from adding a few letters to my business card. Where I am now I don't have any current promotion potential remaining without moving to DC or moving into a job I don't want (people management). Which is ok. Lateral moves to other senior engineering positions are just that, lateral moves, I'm happy where I'm at.
Last edited by Waldo on 12 Sep 2021 19:43, edited 2 times in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I am going to be taking what seems to be an incredibly demanding DS/ML course end of this month to December. Super excited, syllabus is darn near the skill set I’ve been wanting to obtain in this field of work. Apply a few cover to cover big machine learning projects after the course, can stay in my role if loving it or explore all kinds of avenues to further extend my knowledge base.

Coinbase has a really cool API to pull nearly unlimited crypto data and can even program trades in, goal will be to create a nice crypto trading algorithm, seed it some cash. And retire early. Assuming I’m not already retired from an amc squeeze before then, lol.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Waldo wrote:
12 Sep 2021 19:32
wallyuwl wrote:
15 Apr 2021 11:57
his semester I have one class in Sig-Sigma principles (one of the fall classes was, too, but not in depth and it was narrowly focused), one in Quality, and one in Program Management. I am not business-minded enough for program management even though I liked the course, and hate Six Sigma and Quality (both the classes and topics). I have an internship this summer and one more class related to Six-Sigma.
I've spent much of my summer doing refresher courses on various project management topics as I'm taking the PMP test here soon. Had a bunch on quality, including a course on Six Sigma.
Took the test yesterday and crushed it. Looks like I got around a 93-95% on it (they don't give an exact score, just relative position in a band). :dude: