What are you listening to..?

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
07 Jun 2020 19:36
Drj820 wrote:
05 Jun 2020 19:54
I have 6 Sturgill Simpson tickets to refund once the box office reopens. Was supposed to go see him and Tyler Childers perform right when this COVID thing was kicking off but it got cxl’d last minute. Still bummed about it.
Man, sorry you missed out on that. I also love Childers and really want to see him. I have seen Sturgill twice. One time it was at a local theater and it was amazing. One of my favorite shows ever. The next time was at Outlaw fest with Brandi Carlile and WIllie Nelson. He was the worst set by far, really disappointed me. He played like 3 songs over the course of the hour set, but just made each song like 20 minutes long because they jammed over each one. He can really shred, but i was hoping to hear more of the catalog. I couldnt get into his latest album at all, but the first three and his bluegrass stuff is some of my favorite music ever. The video of the show that i posted is some amazing music. Sierra Hull is one of the best mandolin players i have ever seen live! :dude:
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I've been on an Eric Clapton kick. Would have loved to see him in concert.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This song here comes from an album that came out May 15 called Reunions by Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit. He is an incredible guitarist and songwriter. His wife plays fiddle on the album. I have been wearing it out. Love it!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

If you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it... Don't be mad once you see that he want it

:suicide:
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Been jammin to some Dispatch again lately, haven’t listened to them in quite a while.

I could just listen to that jam from 5:15-6:15 on repeat all day.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I'm listening to no music at all at work, and no one has even suggested having any.

The place is a seaside villa, with a soundtrack of sea, chatter and birds outside and an old wooden house with sounds of it's own inside.

I'm SO glad no one is forcing some classical music :violin: or easy listening crap :blah: into that equation. :pray:

As for biking to work being late:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

salmar80 wrote:
26 Jun 2020 17:26
I'm SO glad no one is forcing some classical music or easy listening crap into that equation.
You might be missing out on some good stuff though. No, seriously. :mrgreen:
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Got this one spinning this morning. Disappointed in the production compared to the first album though.

RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Not so much about what I am listening to, but what I am listening on. Just got a pair of Shure Aonic 50 headphones. Also just canceled Apple Music and signed up for Deezer Hi-Fi. These cans sound great! Ssooo comfortable, even with glasses and my big head.

https://www.shure.com/en-US/headphones-earphones/aonic

Had a pair of wired Shure earbuds several years ago that sounded way better than their $100 price point (that was when wireless head and earphones were just coming out and sucked). Still have them,, just never use them any more.. After two good experiences, this is my go to brand from now on.

Next is a turntable and new receiver but my wife would kill me. Have some nice Definitife Technology floor speakers (each have subs built in, I think they are 10 inch) from about 5 years ago on a good discount when new model was about to come out. Receiver is a 2013 model year Pioneer Elite that has good power but is missing some more modern features. My Samsung TV has HDMI ARC and there is a Deezer app for Samsung smart TV. Hopefully this will mean good audio out of the towers running the Deezer app on the tv.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

wallyuwl wrote:
27 Jun 2020 23:19
Not so much about what I am listening to, but what I am listening on. Just got a pair of Shure Aonic 50 headphones. Also just canceled Apple Music and signed up for Deezer Hi-Fi. These cans sound great! Ssooo comfortable, even with glasses and my big head.

https://www.shure.com/en-US/headphones-earphones/aonic

Had a pair of wired Shure earbuds several years ago that sounded way better than their $100 price point (that was when wireless head and earphones were just coming out and sucked). Still have them,, just never use them any more.. After two good experiences, this is my go to brand from now on.

Next is a turntable and new receiver but my wife would kill me. Have some nice Definitife Technology floor speakers (each have subs built in, I think they are 10 inch) from about 5 years ago on a good discount when new model was about to come out. Receiver is a 2013 model year Pioneer Elite that has good power but is missing some more modern features. My Samsung TV has HDMI ARC and there is a Deezer app for Samsung smart TV. Hopefully this will mean good audio out of the towers running the Deezer app on the tv.
Headfi member? AVS?

I've been on these for about a decade now, and really opened up my eyes more about equipment.

When Shure got back into the full size stuff, they were releasing a quality lineup! :mrgreen:

For private listening I have the discontinued Hifiman 500's, Beyerdynamic DT800 Pro's, and a pair of Ultrasone 750's. I enjoy the Hifi's the most, with the planar magnetic drivers. I can't get away from those beautiful smooths, the midrange is to die for. Beyer's for when I want the full open back listen, not as difficult to drive. The 750's are definitely my "fun" go to, treble on these are a bit bright though.

I don't have a lot of personal listening time anymore these days, but the plan is to get a pair of new floors. I can't decide between a pair of Martin Logans, Revels, or the new Paradigm line. I've been talking about it for YEARS, the wife is just going to have to deal with it. ;) I'm also running a Pioneer elite!
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheGreenMan wrote:
28 Jun 2020 08:16

Headfi member? AVS?

I've been on these for about a decade now, and really opened up my eyes more about equipment.

When Shure got back into the full size stuff, they were releasing a quality lineup! :mrgreen:

For private listening I have the discontinued Hifiman 500's, Beyerdynamic DT800 Pro's, and a pair of Ultrasone 750's. I enjoy the Hifi's the most, with the planar magnetic drivers. I can't get away from those beautiful smooths, the midrange is to die for. Beyer's for when I want the full open back listen, not as difficult to drive. The 750's are definitely my "fun" go to, treble on these are a bit bright though.

I don't have a lot of personal listening time anymore these days, but the plan is to get a pair of new floors. I can't decide between a pair of Martin Logans, Revels, or the new Paradigm line. I've been talking about it for YEARS, the wife is just going to have to deal with it. ;) I'm also running a Pioneer elite!
I have been on AVS but not as a member. Just looked up some things in the past. I'm not an audiophile, but do like good sounding music. But I don't have the interest in learning about and purchasing multiple pairs of the same thing (like headphones), or always having to have the latest and greatest. Or super high end stuff. I make the best value decision at the time I need some new gear and go from there. But I do anticipate getting a new receiver before toooo long. But my speakers (Definitive Technology BP-8040ST) are great especially for first coming out a decade ago. I really like that they have the built in subs. The next model up that has Atmos would be nice, but it isn't something I need and certainly isn't something I'd spend $2000 or more on new speakers to get that. What I enjoy is having nice speakers that put out great stereo sound for music. I'm fine with 5.1 for movies.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Jun 2020 13:26
TheGreenMan wrote:
28 Jun 2020 08:16

Headfi member? AVS?

I have been on AVS but not as a member. Just looked up some things in the past. I'm not an audiophile, but do like good sounding music. But I don't have the interest in learning about and purchasing multiple pairs of the same thing (like headphones), or always having to have the latest and greatest. Or super high end stuff. I make the best value decision at the time I need some new gear and go from there. But I do anticipate getting a new receiver before toooo long. But my speakers (Definitive Technology BP-8040ST) are great especially for first coming out a decade ago. I really like that they have the built in subs. The next model up that has Atmos would be nice, but it isn't something I need and certainly isn't something I'd spend $2000 or more on new speakers to get that. What I enjoy is having nice speakers that put out great stereo sound for music. I'm fine with 5.1 for movies.
I can't justify upgrading constantly (like some people). Audiophiles to the extreme, and probably a bit nuts. :lol:

With that being said, I'm with you on the good sounding. I've had the same headphones for near 6-7 years now and it will be that way for awhile. Speakers can last you decades if properly taken care of and they only continue to sound better as time goes on. I won't go into the super high end realm, there comes a point where it's diminishing returns. How much power do you really need? Some of those amps out there are just at mindboggling prices. And some people do pay it!

I look at speakers this way: They're going to last longer than the vehicle you're currently driving, at a fraction of the cost. It boils down to just how much you really love audio/music.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I got this guy for portable audio, as opposed to like the JBL pringle can speakers (which I also have for convenience, lol). Aiwa Exos-9. I really want to get a second so I can connect them in stereo, but lot of $$ now we are talking and definitely hurting on portability.

Audio, bass, mids and battery are all fantastic. Always bring it when tailgaiting at Lambeau and typically will be louder and better sounds and pretty much everyone else's setup, other than those crazies who bring like 2 stand up 24" speakers, professional setups. The battery life is crazy, can go all day long, has a huge laptop caliber battery in it that you can actually swap out as well if you buy a 2nd battery to make sure you can play it all day and all night. Can actually plug your phone into the USB jack on it and charge your phone, which I done like 50% charge on my phone and the speaker still ran all day.

Then for earphones, I really prefer the comfort and small body of the ear buds. The apple airpods pro are pretty good, but I was honestly hoping for a bit better on the bass. A $50 dollar pair of wired headphones will have better sound in my opinion. But the transparency mode is awesome for running and the noise cancelling is awesome for cutting the grass. The interactivity with the iPhone has some cool features, battery life great, charges really fast. I've been happy enough with them. Not sure if its worth the $$, but I've gone through a handle of earbuds and I've never come across any that blow me away.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
30 Jun 2020 14:43
I got this guy for portable audio, as opposed to like the JBL pringle can speakers (which I also have for convenience, lol). Aiwa Exos-9. I really want to get a second so I can connect them in stereo, but lot of $$ now we are talking and definitely hurting on portability.

Audio, bass, mids and battery are all fantastic. Always bring it when tailgaiting at Lambeau and typically will be louder and better sounds and pretty much everyone else's setup, other than those crazies who bring like 2 stand up 24" speakers, professional setups. The battery life is crazy, can go all day long, has a huge laptop caliber battery in it that you can actually swap out as well if you buy a 2nd battery to make sure you can play it all day and all night. Can actually plug your phone into the USB jack on it and charge your phone, which I done like 50% charge on my phone and the speaker still ran all day.

Then for earphones, I really prefer the comfort and small body of the ear buds. The apple airpods pro are pretty good, but I was honestly hoping for a bit better on the bass. A $50 dollar pair of wired headphones will have better sound in my opinion. But the transparency mode is awesome for running and the noise cancelling is awesome for cutting the grass. The interactivity with the iPhone has some cool features, battery life great, charges really fast. I've been happy enough with them. Not sure if its worth the $$, but I've gone through a handle of earbuds and I've never come across any that blow me away.
The only thing I got from this was: Aiwa is still making stuff? :lol: I had no idea.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

:lol:

Yeah, absolutely no brand loyalty or anything, just did a bunch of research and that had everything I wanted so I gave it a try. Exceeded my expectations.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

A sonos guy here. Bought my first smart speaker in 2010 and its still amazing. Just bought another this month. They dont pair but thats fine one is in the garage and the other is in the house. The quality is amazing.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
01 Jul 2020 09:27
A sonos guy here. Bought my first smart speaker in 2010 and its still amazing. Just bought another this month. They dont pair but thats fine one is in the garage and the other is in the house. The quality is amazing.
I'm typically not a fan of smart speakers/soundbars. However, Sonos does have a good thing going for them. They've recently released their new Sonos Arc, $700 I think, but when you're getting in those price ranges... I'm thinking about some quality bookshelf speakers.
RIP JustJeff

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

TheGreenMan wrote:
01 Jul 2020 11:19
Backthepack4ever wrote:
I'm typically not a fan of smart speakers/soundbars. However, Sonos does have a good thing going for them. They've recently released their new Sonos Arc, $700 I think, but when you're getting in those price ranges... I'm thinking about some quality bookshelf speakers.
I only have exp with the speakers but my brother has a whole home system and its pretty incredible. Sound quality is as good as any and tins of options. Of course not cheap but it lasts and that matters to me.

I seldom watch tv outside of sports. Id say I put 10 hrs on sonos to every 1 on my tv so the price is worth it imo

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
01 Jul 2020 15:17
TheGreenMan wrote:
01 Jul 2020 11:19
Backthepack4ever wrote:
I only have exp with the speakers but my brother has a whole home system and its pretty incredible. Sound quality is as good as any and tins of options. Of course not cheap but it lasts and that matters to me.

I seldom watch tv outside of sports. Id say I put 10 hrs on sonos to every 1 on my tv so the price is worth it imo

What kind of system does your brother have? If you don't mind me asking. And that sort of stuff will last a long time!

I'm about 70% music. 30% movies. The wife thinks it's weird how I can sit and just listen to music, without really doing anything else. Sometimes it's just nice to kinda zone out and let the music take you.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Shameless Finland plug: If you have cash to spare, all Genelec active speakers are bloody fantastic for both music and movie uses. Just google some reviews, dare you to find a negative one.