Training Camp Pressers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

image.png
image.png (55.27 KiB) Viewed 351 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

image.png
image.png (20.69 KiB) Viewed 350 times

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yeah, screw you Martinez you whiny bitch.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'll post the video later when they post it with a permanent link, but this Jerry Gray interview is pretty good, man

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2020 11:02
I'll post the video later when they post it with a permanent link, but this Jerry Gray interview is pretty good, man
Facebook always has a permalink from the get go, I believe.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2020 11:02
Whew, that got me kinda fired up.

My favorite was when a reporter mentioned that his guys were getting a lot of interceptions in practice and he was like "What practices are you watching??" I guess "a lot" has different meanings to different people. This guy is definitely going to make sure our guys develop right.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Hahahahahahha, that was so fun. It was like 4 minutes long
image.png
image.png (50.55 KiB) Viewed 332 times
image.png
image.png (25.82 KiB) Viewed 331 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Mike Smith's answer on setting the edge and how Kyle Shanahan attacked them is going to be required viewing for this forum

UPDATE: Mike Smith's whole interview is going to be required viewing on this forum. He just guaranteed Gary's success in an impassioned speech about him.
image.png
image.png (24.25 KiB) Viewed 327 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
21 Aug 2020 10:50
Yeah, screw you Martinez you whiny bitch.

Hahahaha thats hilarious. Pettine bopped him good.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2020 10:45
image.png
Wasn't he (Jackson) essentially limited all of last year?

So, get him off special teams and give him more reps on d. :dunno:
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
21 Aug 2020 12:36
YoHoChecko wrote:
image.png

In both camps and likely regular season practices of Jackson's career, he was lining up "all over." He was playing nickel, some occasional safety, some dime, some boundary.

Now they are having him focus only on the boundary role to master those fundamentals and reads and play to his strengths.

I dunno why people think that a player's actual game snaps are the only thing happening to a player. Just because he wasn't in the games on defense doesn't address how/where he practiced all season and what he was being coached on.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2020 12:39
I dunno why people think that a player's actual game snaps are the only thing happening to a player. Just because he wasn't in the games on defense doesn't address how/where he practiced all season and what he was being coached on.
Well, Jackson, specifically, saw his snaps on defense decrease (and significantly so) as time went on. Doesn't that seem to suggest that he wasn't practicing well, either, or experiencing similar struggles?

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
21 Aug 2020 12:36
YoHoChecko wrote:
image.png

In both camps and likely regular season practices of Jackson's career, he was lining up "all over." He was playing nickel, some occasional safety, some dime, some boundary.

Now they are having him focus only on the boundary role to master those fundamentals and reads and play to his strengths.

Right, but I think we're wanting to see our touted former 2nd round CB put more of, that, wherever he's playing in practice, in game situations on defense. Which didn't happen at all last year.

Second off-season in three that Jackson has looked real good playing defense in camp.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
21 Aug 2020 12:43
YoHoChecko wrote:
Well, Jackson, specifically, saw his snaps on defense decrease (and significantly so) as time went on. Doesn't that seem to suggest that he wasn't practicing well, either, or experiencing similar struggles?
Correct.

This is about the D coaches saying Jackson's workload has been "narrowed" to focus on the boundary, and he is responding well to it. In previous years, he was lining up all over and struggled. That is the point.

It has nothing to do with playing less special teams and more defense, as GreenMan stated. It's about where he plays on defense: in the games, in camp, and in practice. And about whether the changes in what he's being asked to learn and develop and work on have led to changes in how well he is doing those things. Mike Pettine said that is the case thus far.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
21 Aug 2020 12:43
YoHoChecko wrote:

Yeah, definitely not last year practicing (injury). But, I'm finding it difficult to find a time where Jackson wasn't being praised in practice, despite some of his short comings in games. Pettine is now reversing what he previously thought of Jackson (slot).
YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2020 12:46

Correct.

This is about the D coaches saying Jackson's workload has been "narrowed" to focus on the boundary, and he is responding well to it. In previous years, he was lining up all over and struggled. That is the point.

It has nothing to do with playing less special teams and more defense, as GreenMan stated. It's about where he plays on defense: in the games, in camp, and in practice. And about whether the changes in what he's being asked to learn and develop and work on have led to changes in how well he is doing those things. Mike Pettine said that is the case thus far.

I understand, it's just when I look back.. not seeing where Jackson has struggled, or at least spoken about in practice or in the media - when he was lining up everywhere - you would at least hope he showed up on D during game situations, and cut back on ST. He's not playing anywhereon defense consistently. My point is hasn't he already been doing real well in camp now for two years now?

Anyways, he's doing "good" for his second time. Great. Let's see him on the field in 2020.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly [mention]TheGreenMan[/mention], I really have no idea what you're trying to say.

Are you saying Jackson has always been good but they haven't put him in games anyway? Are you saying Jackson has always been bad, but they say nice things about him in practice?

It's a training camp press conference. Obviously, there is no way to know if it translates to games. But people have talked about where Jackson does line up and should line up for quite some time now. And the person who runs his practices for the past 2.5 years is saying, out loud, this year they are asking him to do something more narrow and specific, and they have liked what they are seeing from him in that role. It is a relevant conversation.

And your response seems to be some sort of emotional exasperation as to what you expect out of Jackson because of his draft status and saying basically "let's see it then?" But you know darn well that there is nothing to see for 3 more weeks. I just don't understand what insight or point you're trying to uncover here, or whether you just want to express exasperation based on your own opinion of Jackson.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2020 13:07
Honestly @TheGreenMan, I really have no idea what you're trying to say.

Are you saying Jackson has always been good but they haven't put him in games anyway? Are you saying Jackson has always been bad, but they say nice things about him in practice?

It's a training camp press conference. Obviously, there is no way to know if it translates to games. But people have talked about where Jackson does line up and should line up for quite some time now. And the person who runs his practices for the past 2.5 years is saying, out loud, this year they are asking him to do something more narrow and specific, and they have liked what they are seeing from him in that role. It is a relevant conversation.

And your response seems to be some sort of emotional exasperation as to what you expect out of Jackson because of his draft status and saying basically "let's see it then?" But you know darn well that there is nothing to see for 3 more weeks. I just don't understand what insight or point you're trying to uncover here, or whether you just want to express exasperation based on your own opinion of Jackson.
I'm not saying I believe Jackson to be good or bad, the guy hasn't seen much of the field for me to warrant an opinion on that. And, yes, of course we don't see anything in a few more weeks.

I obviously like him as a player, but what Pettine is trying to say is Jackson looks good now that he has a more defined role in practice... or less workload. And this, I assume will help him transition to real playing time. My point I was trying to make was Jackson from all accounts had a real good camp in his rookie year, was until he was hurt last year, and now is having another really good camp. It just seemed like he was a player that they were utilizing in a lot of ways/positions in camp.... and was already doing good. So, Pettine coming out and saying he looks good now, in a narrowed role.... makes me further question why isn't he seeing a field in game situations.

It's just frustrating to see praise again for said player that was already getting praise, but when it came to crunch time he was on pine. There's obviously something holding him back, has some physical limitations, or maybe he was just in a doghouse for a bit.

Of course it's relevant conversation. I simply just want to see less Mr. August talk and more let's get him in the fire so we can truly see what we have here.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Here's Pettine, which I found interesting and informative, as far as coach pressers go. Plenty of coachspeak, but enough to take from it as well:

Here's Jerry Gray, which I HIGHLY recommend watching. I really love his approach.

ILB coach Olivadotti and DL coach Jerry Montgomery and ST Coordinator Menenga also spoke today; pretty boring but you can check them out if you want to.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.