All-Time Packers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

texas wrote:
07 Apr 2022 22:40
I can't comment on the older players, but watching almost the entire Favre era, and the entire Rodgers era, I can say that Mason Crosby is better than Longwell at the very least. Also I am surprised that Ahman Green is apparently in the conversation- have our RBs been that bad? Don't get me wrong, Green was solid and sometimes a top 5 RB, but he was just that- solid. Would rather have Aaron Jones.

<snip>
You know, I never really thought much about Longwell vs. Crosby, but by the stats, Longwell was actually slightly better. 83.2% vs. 81.1% for their careers. Clearly, Crosby has the stronger leg, but Longwell was a bit more consistent. Almost a toss-up, really. :idn:

Aaron Jones over Ahman Green? No way! Green was a true bell cow running back, a type that has all but died out now.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
07 Apr 2022 22:44
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
07 Apr 2022 19:11
APB wrote:
07 Apr 2022 06:51
@RingoCStarrQB - you're on the fence about Willie Buchanon but have listed John Anderson in multiple posts?

John Anderson??

He was a decent player - albeit more quantity over quality - but he has no business even sniffing a thread related to all-time greatest Packers. He wasn't even the best linebacker on his own team for several years.
John Anderson was on the NFL All-Decade Team for Outside Linebackers from the 1980s. Right in there with LT, Tippett, Banks and Hendricks. Should be good enough......shouldn't be a head scratcher.

"All-Time Packers" does not equal "All-Time Greatest Packers".
Anderson made the 80s all-decade team because he was a good player - not great - who timed his career perfectly in spanning the entire decade. Wasn't named to a single Pro-Bowl or All-Pro team unlike his Mad Dog teammate.
Who are these guys with Bart? Terry Jones, Phillip Epps, Lynn Dickey, John Anderson, Johnnie Gray, Del Rodgers, David Whitehurst ........ :woohoo:

Is #16 Ray Stachowicz?
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 08 Apr 2022 18:44, edited 2 times in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
08 Apr 2022 13:08
texas wrote:
07 Apr 2022 22:40
I can't comment on the older players, but watching almost the entire Favre era, and the entire Rodgers era, I can say that Mason Crosby is better than Longwell at the very least. Also I am surprised that Ahman Green is apparently in the conversation- have our RBs been that bad? Don't get me wrong, Green was solid and sometimes a top 5 RB, but he was just that- solid. Would rather have Aaron Jones.

<snip>
You know, I never really thought much about Longwell vs. Crosby, but by the stats, Longwell was actually slightly better. 83.2% vs. 81.1% for their careers. Clearly, Crosby has the stronger leg, but Longwell was a bit more consistent. Almost a toss-up, really. :idn:

Aaron Jones over Ahman Green? No way! Green was a true bell cow running back, a type that has all but died out now.
Keep in mind Longwell’s career stats are bolstered by several years kicking in a dome during his post-Packer days. Crosby didn’t have that luxury.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Don Chandler #34 was on the 1960s All-Decade Team as a punter. Here's his 1966 Packers card.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
08 Apr 2022 18:31
APB wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

John Anderson was on the NFL All-Decade Team for Outside Linebackers from the 1980s. Right in there with LT, Tippett, Banks and Hendricks. Should be good enough......shouldn't be a head scratcher.

Anderson made the 80s all-decade team because he was a good player - not great - who timed his career perfectly in spanning the entire decade. Wasn't named to a single Pro-Bowl or All-Pro team unlike his Mad Dog teammate.
Who are these guys with Bart? Terry Jones, Phillip Epps, Lynn Dickey, John Anderson, Johnnie Gray, Del Rodgers, David Whitehurst ........ :woohoo:

Is #16 Ray Stachowicz?
Randy Wright?

Read More. Post Less.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

NCF wrote:
08 Apr 2022 22:13
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
APB wrote:

Is #16 Ray Stachowicz?
Randy Wright?
These appear to be Bart's players when he coached the Packers. Wright was a Forrest Gregg QB ............ not a Bart Starr QB.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Maybe Ray Stachowicz then?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
10 Apr 2022 09:40
Maybe Ray Stachowicz then?

Yes.......must be Stachowicz. Notice the 5 stripes on the jersey sleeve :aok: .

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
APB wrote:
07 Apr 2022 06:51
@RingoCStarrQB - you're on the fence about Willie Buchanon but have listed John Anderson in multiple posts?

John Anderson??

He was a decent player - albeit more quantity over quality - but he has no business even sniffing a thread related to all-time greatest Packers. He wasn't even the best linebacker on his own team for several years.

All-Pro or Pro Bowl selection has nothing to do making the All-Packers Team. Irrelevant argument. :bkw:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
10 Apr 2022 11:18
APB wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

All-Pro or Pro Bowl selection has nothing to do making the All-Packers Team. Irrelevant argument. :bkw:
It’s as relevant as your all-decade team statement.

I’d put Ray Nitschke, Fred Carr, Dave Robinson, Bill Forester, Tim Harris, Mike Douglas, and Clay Matthews above Anderson. Hell, an argument could be made for Clark Hinkle, too, although defensive stats from that era are hard to come by. They were all dominant players at their peak and consistently made impactful plays. I’d place Anderson in a group below that, players who were very good players but basically fulfilled their role. Anderson, Brian Noble, AJ Hawk, Nick Barnett, Johnny Holland fall into this group for me.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

NCF wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
APB wrote:

Is #16 Ray Stachowicz?
Randy Wright?
Tom Birney? He was a kicker who wore #16 in 1980... :idn:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pugger wrote:
10 Apr 2022 12:42
NCF wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Is #16 Ray Stachowicz?
Randy Wright?
Tom Birney? He was a kicker who wore #16 in 1980... :idn:
I hope it wasn’t Birney. That man should never be allowed back on that field. He was terrible. You couldn’t count on him for extra point kicks let alone FG tries.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
10 Apr 2022 12:26
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
10 Apr 2022 11:18
APB wrote:

It’s as relevant as your all-decade team statement.

I’d put Ray Nitschke, Fred Carr, Dave Robinson, Bill Forester, Tim Harris, Mike Douglas, and Clay Matthews above Anderson. Hell, an argument could be made for Clark Hinkle, too, although defensive stats from that era are hard to come by. They were all dominant players at their peak and consistently made impactful plays. I’d place Anderson in a group below that, players who were very good players but basically fulfilled their role. Anderson, Brian Noble, AJ Hawk, Nick Barnett, Johnny Holland fall into this group for me.
What's up with Dan Currie then? Tom Bettis and Lee Roy Caffey? Where shall the lines be drawn? Caffey and Currie made All Pro. Bettis didn't.