Packers sign Tavon Austin

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I really liked Austin's presser. Sounds like he really wants redemption and still has a lot of confidence.

Also sounds like he is still a 4.3 guy which really surprised me.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Looks like the additional cap hit of having Austin over Shepherd is less than $23k of additional cap.

I mean how can you be mad at this signing?

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/tavon-aus ... eutral-405
image.png
image.png (124.22 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Dec 2020 07:09
Pugger wrote:
03 Dec 2020 06:48
go pak go wrote:
01 Dec 2020 15:55

How could they do that to Kumerow!!!
The Bills just added him to their active roster so I'm sure he is doing just fine.
This whole thing was a joke. I did it primarily because every time a player takes a number, fans run to Facebook and talk about what a disgrace it is to to the former player who wore it.

We saw it with Graham taking 80
We saw it with Gary taking 52
so what, isn't it normal for people to have reservations when a new player takes over for a long tenure vet like Mathews, you act as though fans shouldn't have emotional ties to past players they came to like.

I don't do face book so I have no idea what exactly people say concerning this, but a little bit of anguish that Gary now wears Mathews number is warranted till Gary actually shows that he deserves it, and while with us Graham never lived up to number 80.

you know what gets to me? it's when one of our best isn't any longer and fans create a fantasy that he was never as great as he was, and we need to get rid of the bum, ala Brett Favre.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:
go pak go wrote:
01 Dec 2020 15:55

How could they do that to Kumerow!!!
The Bills just added him to their active roster so I'm sure he is doing just fine.
This whole thing was a joke. I did it primarily because every time a player takes a number, fans run to Facebook and talk about what a disgrace it is to to the former player who wore it.

:)

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pugger wrote:
03 Dec 2020 11:13
go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Graham was supposed to wash the stink off of number 80 from Martellus Bennett, but turns out he was almost just as bad.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
03 Dec 2020 11:36
Pugger wrote:
03 Dec 2020 11:13
go pak go wrote:

Graham was supposed to wash the stink off of number 80 from Martellus Bennett, but turns out he was almost just as bad.
I remove Bennett from my brain. I honestly always forget he was a Packer.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Who?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Austin said he has felt healthy for about the last two or three weeks and understands there will be a process to getting back into football shape. He said he’s in a better place than he was at the start of training camp and is determined to prove to himself he can still play in the NFL.

“I just hope coach is giving me an opportunity to show who I really am deep inside from being hurt all my years,” Austin said. “I’m feeling good and I’m just glad I’m in this great situation and I’m just trying to show him I am still the player I was back then.”

If he is, LaFleur will find a place for him. He did it with Ervin and he’s done it with others such as Ervin, tight end Marcedes Lewis, receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling, fullback John Lovett and rookie H-back Josiah Deguara.

If Austin gets hurt or just doesn’t have anything left, it’s not the end of the world. The Packers are already playing great offensively. But as LaFleur said Sunday, they are pursuing perfection and another piece might just get them a step close

sounds like a player Lafluer can use on offense, I love all the pre snap motion, and Austin could give that a added spark.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 795796001/

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Swervin Ervin is plenty fast and so is Tavon, fantastic to add some serious speed on offense...because speed kills

"You make sure the opposing defense goes to bed the night before the game knowing, fearing that they will be facing somebody who can beat them deep on any play," Al Davis said in the book Fire in the Iceman "Let them stay awake all night worrying about it."
IT. IS. TIME

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Pure deep threats are no threats at all. This is why Janis never made it, this is why MVS is still work in progress. As a CB you just give them 3-4 more yards, end of it. The problem is the guy that is a deep threat and can do the shorter routes as well. Imagine Adams with the speed of MVS. That's some threat that keeps you awake at night. Greg Jennings come to my mind.

I forgot why we hate Bennett: did he speak bad about the Pack or what was the problem back then?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

German_Panzer wrote:
04 Dec 2020 00:16
Post by German_Panzer » 04 Dec 2020 00:16

Pure deep threats are no threats at all. This is why Janis never made it, this is why MVS is still work in progress. As a CB you just give them 3-4 more yards, end of it. The problem is the guy that is a deep threat and can do the shorter routes as well. Imagine Adams with the speed of MVS. That's some threat that keeps you awake at night. Greg Jennings come to my mind.

I forgot why we hate Bennett: did he speak bad about the Pack or what was the problem back then?
He literally quit the team after Rodgers went down. We sued him because he broke our contract with a bogus injury but instead had to pay dead cap to the a$$ hat and it reduced our cap.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
04 Dec 2020 06:35
German_Panzer wrote:
Post by German_Panzer » 04 Dec 2020 00:16

He literally quit the team after Rodgers went down. We sued him because he broke our contract with a bogus injury but instead had to pay dead cap to the a$$ hat and it reduced our cap.
Yeah that dude was a turd sandwich.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

German_Panzer wrote:
Pure deep threats are no threats at all. This is why Janis never made it, this is why MVS is still work in progress. As a CB you just give them 3-4 more yards, end of it.
The true value of a deep threat is what he forces the Safety to do. That's why the call it " taking the top off a defense"
By forcing one safety to babysit the deep threat:
He can't help as much on the other side of the field
He can't play in the box or run blitz as often
It limits the DCs calls and gives easier reads to the QB

A true deep threat is a valuable chess piece even if that WR doesn't have great production himself. That's why every team covets one
IT. IS. TIME

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BSA wrote:
04 Dec 2020 22:30
German_Panzer wrote:
Pure deep threats are no threats at all. This is why Janis never made it, this is why MVS is still work in progress. As a CB you just give them 3-4 more yards, end of it.
The true value of a deep threat is what he forces the Safety to do. That's why the call it " taking the top off a defense"

A true deep threat is a valuable chess piece even if that WR doesn't have great production himself. That's why every team covets one
Yes, but it has to be a viable deep threat. Pretty much every team has a player that can run. If they guy can’t catch or the offense shows they aren’t willing to throw to said burner, the defense will defend him with the obligatory single defender and forget him. MVS is showing this year that he requires more attention than that and, as you rightly point out, that has significant secondary effects.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
05 Dec 2020 07:09
BSA wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:

Yes, but it has to be a viable deep threat. Pretty much every team has a player that can run. If they guy can’t catch or the offense shows they aren’t willing to throw to said burner, the defense will defend him with the obligatory single defender and forget him. MVS is showing this year that he requires more attention than that and, as you rightly point out, that has significant secondary effects.
I think it's pretty cool that MVS has this monster game, and honestly was close to being REALLY monstrous game in Indy and then the following week is never targeted, but at the same time our underneath game and run game absolutely shredded a really good defense.

Like that should make us incredible excited for this offense.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
05 Dec 2020 08:02
APB wrote:
05 Dec 2020 07:09
BSA wrote:

I think it's pretty cool that MVS has this monster game, and honestly was close to being REALLY monstrous game in Indy and then the following week is never targeted, but at the same time our underneath game and run game absolutely shredded a really good defense.

Like that should make us incredible excited for this offense.
who here isn't incredibly excited for this offense? really? sure I'd be more excited if JUstin Jefferson had been drafted instead of Love, who here wouldn't be even more excited if that where the case.

APB is right, if MVS isn't productive deep then safety's will flow to protect against players that are, that we where successful with short or intermediate routes as a result of MVS prior play wont be sustainable unless he continues to be, which I'am hopeful he will be.

actually I think what helped our success the most was coming out and successfully running the ball, it helped our play action and Chicago loaded the box and still could not stop it, that was a huge statement right there.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
05 Dec 2020 08:12
who here isn't incredibly excited for this offense? really? sure I'd be more excited if JUstin Jefferson had been drafted instead of Love, who here wouldn't be even more excited if that where the case.

APB is right, if MVS isn't productive deep then safety's will flow to protect against players that are, that we where successful with short or intermediate routes as a result of MVS prior play wont be sustainable unless he continues to be, which I'am hopeful he will be.

actually I think what helped our success the most was coming out and successfully running the ball, it helped our play action and Chicago loaded the box and still could not stop it, that was a huge statement right there.
I think MVS is on the fringe of being a true deep threat WR and I say that mostly because of the respect he has been getting as of late from opposing DCs. This isn't the same as running Jeff Janis or Trevor Davis deep but it certainly doesn't bring back memories of Jordy Nelson, yet, either. Very slowly, I think he is becoming a threat and apparently, even with modest production, so do NFL defenses.

Read More. Post Less.