Bak feared to have torn ACL

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean this is a significant injury.

It is overreaction and under appreciation to say we will just be fine without Bak. He is the best OL in the league. The Packers wouldn't give a record breaking contract if he wasn't significant to our team.

And it really sucks timing wise. I mean really sucks because now our cost and resources at Tackle in 2021 has to be increased.

However, we need to win four games. We just need to string 4 wins and we got what we wanted. Our season certainly is not over, but it will require elevation of play from everyone else. Especially Billy Turner. He must be able to hold his own these next four games. Teams like CHI, TB, NO and LAR especially have good pass rush.

It also puts tremendous stress on our depth at tackle.

Don't mistake. Our chances are significantly lower today than they were 24 hours ago. But we have seen this team overcome injuries all year. Time to do it again.

But this in a nutshell shows why winning it all is just so flipping difficult to do.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Looking back to 1996.....many season ending injuries: Ruettgers, Brooks, Koonce come to mind. Freeman broke his arm and came back. Chmura was out and came back. Pack had a #1 D that season and no one can forget the majik that happened on Special Teams.

Maybe it's time for the 2020 D and Special Teams to step up. Go Packers!!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
01 Jan 2021 08:14

It is overreaction and under appreciation to say we will just be fine without Bak. He is the best OL in the league. The Packers wouldn't give a record breaking contract if he wasn't significant to our team.

And it really sucks timing wise. I mean really sucks because now our cost and resources at Tackle in 2021 has to be increased.

However, we need to win four games. We just need to string 4 wins and we got what we wanted. Our season certainly is not over, but it will require elevation of play from everyone else. Especially Billy Turner. He must be able to hold his own these next four games. Teams like CHI, TB, NO and LAR especially have good pass rush.

Don't mistake. Our chances are significantly lower today than they were 24 hours ago. But we have seen this team overcome injuries all year. Time to do it again.

But this in a nutshell shows why winning it all is just so flipping difficult to do.
Obviously losing the best LT in the game hurts but we are equipped for it. We have depth to ride the storm. This does not significantly lower our chances. It hurts them, to be sure, but there are a handful or more of other injuries that would have hurt more. Obviously, it would be very hard to suffer another LT loss. It is what it is, no team is 3 deep at LT. This however might be the least dropoff we could see from a LT injury in living memory. We dealt with a LT injury for 3 full games this season and it didn't hinder us much.

As for 2021, we will need to have an option until November. At this time, no reason to believe he will not be back in 10 months.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 01 Jan 2021 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jan 2021 08:36
go pak go wrote:

Obviously losing the best LT in the game hurts but we are equipped for it. We have depth to ride the storm. This does not significantly lower our chances. It hurts them, to be sure, but there are a handful or more of other injuries that would have hurt more. Obviously, it would be very hard to suffer another LT loss. It is what it is, no team is 3 deep at LT. This however might the least dropoff we could see from a LT injury in living memory. We dealt with a LT injury for 3 full games this season and it didn't hinder us much.

As for 2021, we will need to have an option until November. At this time, no reason to believe he will not be back in 10 months.
We are in exact agreement just different words.

I too think he will likely be back as early as October or November. But it still means we need to devote resources at the tackle position now. Likely means Wagner is a Packer in 2021
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

go pak go wrote:
01 Jan 2021 08:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Obviously losing the best LT in the game hurts but we are equipped for it. We have depth to ride the storm. This does not significantly lower our chances. It hurts them, to be sure, but there are a handful or more of other injuries that would have hurt more. Obviously, it would be very hard to suffer another LT loss. It is what it is, no team is 3 deep at LT. This however might the least dropoff we could see from a LT injury in living memory. We dealt with a LT injury for 3 full games this season and it didn't hinder us much.

I too think he will likely be back as early as October or November. But it still means we need to devote resources at the tackle position now. Likely means Wagner is a Packer in 2021
Could also mean Lindslay is back to handle center and jenkins mans LT and the young kids take over the guard spots.

Turner has been excellent this year. Not down playing this injury but this line is 6 deep and the ultimate weapon is jenkins versatility

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
01 Jan 2021 09:07
Could also mean Lindslay is back to handle center and jenkins mans LT and the young kids take over the guard spots.

Turner has been excellent this year. Not down playing this injury but this line is 6 deep and the ultimate weapon is jenkins versatility
The bolded is especially true and really underscores how big a hit he was in drafting him.

Also, I could even see Linsley walking and we fill the center spot with a draft pick or modest FA signing.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Yeah, this could end up creating a scenario where we now re-sign Linsley. Which I think I kinda like. Lock up the middle and we can shift Jenkins to one of the OT spots while we wait for Bak and plug someone at OG - I don't think that would put a significant financial strain on us cap wise.

I've gotten kinda used to having the best OL in the league. That can go a long way in extending Rodgers' career. I'd prefer that a lot more than re-signing Jones or King.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Sleeping on it, honestly is there any significant pass rusher in the playoff picture that Bak would have been lined up with? We obviously have Mack to deal with this weekend, but I don't remember seeing Bak lining up with him earlier in the year when Chicago was moving him around. We might run into Cameron Jordan in the playoffs. And a matchup with Tampa worries me (even before Bak's injury). Other than that, I don't see a whole lot of "oh crap" lineups where it's vital that Bak is in the game.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I think this is going to boil down to the playing caliber of who steps in and takes over. If they're even remotely decent, I think we should be fine.

I think.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Didn't Bakh miss 3 games this year already? Don't we have a plan? I mean, if we're down Wagner and Bakh this week, it'll be a strugglefest, but again without minimizing how much this sucks, we do have tape of how we performed without him, right? Like Fennell and Andy Herman could have columns out tomorrow explaining how this might go, right?

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
01 Jan 2021 09:54
Yeah, this could end up creating a scenario where we now re-sign Linsley. Which I think I kinda like. Lock up the middle and we can shift Jenkins to one of the OT spots while we wait for Bak and plug someone at OG - I don't think that would put a significant financial strain on us cap wise.

I've gotten kinda used to having the best OL in the league. That can go a long way in extending Rodgers' career. I'd prefer that a lot more than re-signing Jones or King.
I'm with you there. Oline over King any day, but I still just can't imagine Jones not in this offense. He's not only a great back, but he's fantastic receiving too - I feel like he's exactly what everyone was expecting a Ty Montgomery to be. This guy can line up anywhere and have an impact for us.

With that being said, I might lean O line over Jones too if it came to that.
RIP JustJeff

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
01 Jan 2021 08:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

It's always a good time to devote resources to the tackle [ offensive line ] position. Impossible to have too many good ones.

That being said, lets see how the Pack plays against the Bears before everyone has a meltdown.
A win this week and the team has 2 weeks to get everybody set and comfortable for the playoff run.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

The big mistake would be telling who ever takes over at LT that he has to play like Bak. He's got to play above his ability. You've got to say, play smart, play to your ability, and just do your job every play. If we have to make some adjustments we will make it work as the game evolves.

We were winning games with Marshall Newhouse we can win with who ever is in the hot seat.

Go Pack Go!

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Yoop wrote:
31 Dec 2020 18:21
WOW, what are you practicing at this point of the season that requires 100% effort, this seems so senseless, ehhhhhh.
Non contact (walk through) drills, apparently.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Cdragon wrote:
01 Jan 2021 11:17
The big mistake would be telling who ever takes over at LT that he has to play like Bak. He's got to play above his ability. You've got to say, play smart, play to your ability, and just do your job every play. If we have to make some adjustments we will make it work as the game evolves.

We were winning games with Marshall Newhouse we can win with who ever is in the hot seat.

Go Pack Go!
The sky is not falling ....... how many big games in 1996 did the Packers win with Earl "False Start" Dotson at Right Tackle playing opposite a replacement Left Tackle?

Here's the list of Packers starting Left Tackles since the Packers joined the NFL (I bolded a few that stand out in my mind for various reasons. Only Cal Hubbard is a Hall of Famer. Coolest name is a 3-sided coin toss up between Cub Buck, Baby Ray and Tiny Cahoon. Dick 'The Bruiser' Afflis is way too cool):

Frank Coughlin 1921
Cub Buck 1922-25
Tiny Cahoon 1926-27
Claude Perry 1928
Bill Kern 1929
Cal Hubbard 1930
Dick Stahlman 1931
Cal Hubbard 1932-33
Lon Evans 1934
Ernie Smith 1935-37
Champ Seibold 1938
Baby Ray 1939-1943
Tiny Croft 1944
Baby Ray 1945-47
Dick Wildung 1948-51
Dick 'The Bruiser' Afflis 1952-53
Len Szafaryn 1954-55
Bob Skoronski 1956
Norm Masters 1957-59
Bob Skoronski 1960-68
Francis Peay 1969-71
Bill Hayhoe 1972
Malcolm Snider 1973
Harry Schuh 1974
Ernie McMillan 1975
Mark Koncar 1976-77
Tim Stokes 1978
Mark Koncar 1979
Tim Stokes 1980
Mark Koncar 1981
Karl Swanke 1982-85
Ken Ruettgers 1986-1990
Louis Cheek 1991
Ken Ruettgers 1992-1995
John MIchels 1996
Ross Verba 1997-1999
Chad Clifton 2000-2001

Mike Flanagan 2002
Chad Clifton 2003-2010
Marshall Newhouse 2011-2012
Bakh 2013 - present
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 01 Jan 2021 12:11, edited 4 times in total.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

We played pretty well when Bak was out earlier this year so this isn't the end of the world.

Yes, it's a loss but I'm confident we'll adjust as needed and keep rolling. One of the biggest changes is how quickly 12 seems to be getting the ball out of his hands. It wasn't so long ago that we all bitched about how long he was holding the ball and getting pummeled.

The last two superbowls we won one of our starting OT was out for the season.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheGreenMan wrote:
01 Jan 2021 10:31
I think this is going to boil down to the playing caliber of who steps in and takes over. If they're even remotely decent, I think we should be fine.

I think.
We hope. :pray:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

lulu wrote:
01 Jan 2021 12:00
We played pretty well when Bak was out earlier this year so this isn't the end of the world.

Yes, it's a loss but I'm confident we'll adjust as needed and keep rolling. One of the biggest changes is how quickly 12 seems to be getting the ball out of his hands. It wasn't so long ago that we all bitched about how long he was holding the ball and getting pummeled.

The last two superbowls we won one of our starting OT was out for the season.
Think we went Tausher, Newhouse, then Bulaga that 2010 season on the right side. Quite the journey.
RIP JustJeff

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

We are beating the bears. Did anyone see that secondary for Sunday. Laughable. They already hid mack from Bak and hes been nullified recently when others faced him. I expect the same.

F the bears. Get the win and have a week to get comfortable again on the line

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Did they ever say which knee?