Steelers @ Packers GDT 10/3/2021 at 3:25 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Sep 2021 22:34
paco wrote:
29 Sep 2021 22:22
The Lazard hatred is just stupid at this point @lupedafiasco.
Did I say something incorrect?
well his blocking is valuable, and he did have a nice sideline catch to start the show last week, thing is it takes him longer to separate, when the OL gives Rodgers time thats fine, if not he runs decoy routes.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lazard is a role player. Role players do very important things. Even better for the Packers is that Lazard is appropriately paid as a role player. Lazard is a great guy to have on the 53, deserves to be there too.

The problem is when the team needs the role player to be WR2, or pretends that he can be relied on in that level. The team does the same thing to valuable and appropriately paid role player Lancaster.

Just think about it like basketball, you love the 20 minutes a night glue guy that comes in and gets 8 points, 5 boards, and plays good defense...just don’t expect the same guy to play all game, be the second best player on the team, and give you 32 a night.

Lazard is a glue guy. Great to have on the team!
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

At this point in the season, I think it's premature to dump on the STs like we are. Honestly the STs up until that kickoff was the most consistent unit on the Packers. They are stopping teams on KO. They are punting great and Mason is Mason.

Kylin Hill is doing well on Kick Returns. The only real glaring spot right now is Amari Rodgers has not once shown he belongs in the league outside of one play vs New Orleans from a ball from Love.

I understand why STs is dumped on. They have like 14 years of sh*t on film. But I am not giving up on them yet. And I am glad Lazard is on STs now.

I too understand why people don't like Lazard as a #2 and honestly I wouldn't call him one. I think MVS is our #2. The problem with having Lazard being the "glue guy" is glue guys don't get the minutes or snaps and you want Lazard to get the minutes and snaps because you want him on the field blocking.

As the season goes on, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we start making more plays to make Lazard open by taking advantage of teams being afraid of his blocking.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Sep 2021 19:38

Maybe we don’t even see Ben Sunday, big Maybe, but Maybe
I think I would honestly rather see Big Ben rather than Mason Rudolph.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

jglovia wrote:
29 Sep 2021 17:23
I don't work for the Packers though I work for the networks! 😆 So he's still the guy!
What is a cart crew?

WELCOME!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
30 Sep 2021 07:05
Drj820 wrote:

Maybe we don’t even see Ben Sunday, big Maybe, but Maybe
I think I would honestly rather see Big Ben rather than Mason Rudolph.
ha. dude...both are trash can juice..at least ben comes with some pedigree. Mason is awful by my estimation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 Sep 2021 07:00
At this point in the season, I think it's premature to dump on the STs like we are. Honestly the STs up until that kickoff was the most consistent unit on the Packers. They are stopping teams on KO. They are punting great and Mason is Mason.

Kylin Hill is doing well on Kick Returns. The only real glaring spot right now is Amari Rodgers has not once shown he belongs in the league outside of one play vs New Orleans from a ball from Love.

I understand why STs is dumped on. They have like 14 years of sh*t on film. But I am not giving up on them yet. And I am glad Lazard is on STs now.

I too understand why people don't like Lazard as a #2 and honestly I wouldn't call him one. I think MVS is our #2. The problem with having Lazard being the "glue guy" is glue guys don't get the minutes or snaps and you want Lazard to get the minutes and snaps because you want him on the field blocking.

As the season goes on, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we start making more plays to make Lazard open by taking advantage of teams being afraid of his blocking.
I havn't looked, was Amari's 40 time a pro day time or combine? cause he looks slow, even on that reception from Love he looked slow, one thing we don't want is a slow slot receiver, heck the ancient Cobb looks faster then Amari.

I agree our ST's though seems improved, specially with Hill handling KR duties, if it where on me I'd have him returning punts as well, our coverage and blocking for returns seems improved to, Amari just can't take advantage of it.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

jglovia wrote:
go pak go wrote:
29 Sep 2021 18:46
jglovia wrote:
29 Sep 2021 17:23
I don't work for the Packers though I work for the networks! 😆 So he's still the guy!
Basically a quick history of this place.

This forum is designed with fans who are nostalgic. Many of the fans here were original members of the Packersnews.com forum back in like 2004 - 2008 or so. So this forum is designed after the forum the Press Gazette in GB provided for fans until it got awful there, moderation went bad, and the site changed its format and appearance.

We have a great community here. Lots of analytical thinkers and we like to compile data to deep dive in a lot of things and we always welcome more of it!

I'm excited to hear about any game day experiences or game day prep experiences you have/get along the way!
I was actually around and fairly active back then on the old forum. Which is probably why I saw some familiar names when I came here. I'm glad to hear this is alot like that. You guys were my go to draft party back in the day!
You weren't by chance the agent that always had the inside scoops on who GB was trying to trade Ted's Cabana Boy to?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
30 Sep 2021 07:42
go pak go wrote:

I havn't looked, was Amari's 40 time a pro day time or combine? cause he looks slow, even on that reception from Love he looked slow, one thing we don't want is a slow slot receiver, heck the ancient Cobb looks faster then Amari.

I agree our ST's though seems improved, specially with Hill handling KR duties, if it where on me I'd have him returning punts as well, our coverage and blocking for returns seems improved to, Amari just can't take advantage of it.
I know. I said that after the first two preseason games and got destroyed for it.
Yoop wrote:

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

If I had my way as coach, I've give #12 a break this week and try to get at least 30-35 carries for the backs.

Running game hasn't really gotten going yet. There have been nice runs but they haven't yet gotten the "run you over" offense going. All the focus has been on Rodgers and the passing game, but expectations for this RB group are sky high, they need to deliver.

The root of last year's offense was the fact that Rodgers was a luxury, not necessity. They could march up and down the field at will strictly by running the ball against most teams. Full pass-free drives happened.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Waldo wrote:
30 Sep 2021 07:56
If I had my way as coach, I've give #12 a break this week and try to get at least 30-35 carries for the backs.

Running game hasn't really gotten going yet. There have been nice runs but they haven't yet gotten the "run you over" offense going. All the focus has been on Rodgers and the passing game, but expectations for this RB group are sky high, they need to deliver.

The root of last year's offense was the fact that Rodgers was a luxury, not necessity. They could march up and down the field at will strictly by running the ball against most teams. Full pass-free drives happened.
I agree. Especially AJ Dillon. Jones has had work. Dillon not as much. I would also try and reduce Adams's work. Clark too.

This is a good game I am hoping that we get others involved.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 Sep 2021 07:51
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I know. I said that after the first two preseason games and got destroyed for it.
probably from me ( I have player defense issues :lol: ) I bought into the Cobb comments and his draft hype, plus the training camp article from one of the beat writers, but Amari hasn't played up to any of that hype, the guy runs like his diaper is full, since we used a 3rd on him I expect he'll get 3 years to change our minds :thwap:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
30 Sep 2021 07:59
go pak go wrote:
30 Sep 2021 07:51
Yoop wrote:

probably from me ( I have player defense issues :lol: ) I bought into the Cobb comments and his draft hype, plus the training camp article from one of the beat writers, but Amari hasn't played up to any of that hype, the guy runs like his diaper is full, since we used a 3rd on him I expect he'll get 3 years to change our minds :thwap:
Oh it was. But I wouldn't say you have player defense issues (except for the holy leader). You have positional lust issues that can in anyway help the holy leader. You went on a rant about his slot and how slot is what we need and slot will fix all and he will be viewed as a steal. Did I mention you said he was a slot? :lol: Your bar was minimum 800 yards I believe before training camp. And it dropped to 500 - 600 because "Cobb would take away some production" :rotf:

Yeah I'm certainly not gonna give up on the guy. But you could tell vs Houston that the game appeared too big for him.

He seems to try and rely on his agility when that is not the type of player he is. He needs to flipping go. I think confidence is his biggest issue. Hope he gets some confidence plays.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
30 Sep 2021 07:59
( I have player defense issues )
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

:lombardi:

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Waldo wrote:

That should be the targeted game plan every week.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 Sep 2021 07:58
Waldo wrote:

I agree. Especially AJ Dillon. Jones has had work. Dillon not as much. I would also try and reduce Adams's work. Clark too.

This is a good game I am hoping that we get others involved.
to me Dillon is a straight line runner, once in a while we see a little lateral to adjust to hit a crease, but it takes him time to get to it, and to often he hits a wall, his power allows him to gain a few yards, the run blocking just hasn't opened big enough gaps so he can do what he did to Tenn. last year.

Jones is much quicker, he hits those creases before the defense has a chance to close them, he's also more shifty and even though he's smaller is a hard guy to get down.

I've always felt run blocking, specially a zone blocking scheme has a lot to do with OL chemistry, experience to know how your blocking partner will react, imo run blocking takes longer to do well, so ya, get a cushion lead and run out the clock.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
30 Sep 2021 08:13
Waldo wrote:

That should be the targeted game plan every week.
Yes. Year after year we draft like we want to be a run dominant team, Lafleur says he wants to be a run dominant team, and then now it is year three and the evidence shows that Lafleur has to remind himself during games that he wants to be a run dominant team. He either gets impatient in games and we may never see this dream of being a smash mouth team with all of our weapons built for that kind of game, or Lafleur is excited for next year when Rodgers is gone and he can run the ball and 100% of the offense how he wants to run it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I thought last Sunday for the exception of the Adams injury drive, the Packers did a very nice job of sticking with the run and using the run. I was very impressed.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
30 Sep 2021 08:17
to me Dillon is a straight line runner, once in a while we see a little lateral to adjust to hit a crease, but it takes him time to get to it, and to often he hits a wall, his power allows him to gain a few yards, the run blocking just hasn't opened big enough gaps so he can do what he did to Tenn. last year.
Why does he have to do what he did against Tennessee last year to be effective? You give him more than 5 carries a game to see him wear down a defense and get to the point where he is doing what he did against tennessee. Look at the Titans v Seattle game from this year, Henry had like 20 yards in the first half and then exploded in the second half as the hawks D got tired. Now i know we have Jones so Dillon wont be getting 30 carries a game, but I mean cmon can we get the second round pick 12 at least? Im ready to see him and Jones on the field more as Jones goes out for passes or Defenses have to guess which one is about to get the handoff.

Dillon doesnt have to look like he did against Tennessee to be doing a good job in my opinion. He averages very close to four yards a carry. Guess what that means? You could hand it to him every down and you would never turn the ball over on downs and you would find yourself on the goalline after a long drive where your D got to rest. Just need the patience for that kind of play. I love 3 yards and a cloud of dust, Rodgers doesnt seem to.

And im not trying to sound like im complaining. The O has looked fine last two games, just saying what I would like to see us get into as the season progresses.