Packers sign Jaylon Smith

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
07 Oct 2021 09:15
Sounds like Chauncy Rivers got hurt in practice yesterday and is likely out for the year, so no roster space needed other than to shift Rivers to IR.
ohno.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

After his surprise release by the Dallas Cowboys, Jaylon Smith has agreed to a deal with the Green Bay Packers.

Smith's agent, Doug Hendrickson, confirmed the one-year agreement to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Cowboys announced Smith's released on Tuesday. He still had three years remaining on the five-year, $64 million extension that was signed in 2019.

Dallas will be on the hook for $16.6 million in dead cap money through the 2022 season.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Has Smith voiced why he wanted to come to GB?

Other than a staff position coach (MLF) who was on the opposite side of the field during his college tenure, what's the connection and/or draw?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
07 Oct 2021 10:07

Other than a staff position coach (MLF) who was on the opposite side of the field during his college tenure, what's the connection and/or draw?
Probably wants to win. Everything I’ve read about him is that he wants to win and is a terrific leader. The defense needs that’s at ILB
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
07 Oct 2021 08:51
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Oct 2021 08:41
Just a reminder that Falcons fans were pleased to be rid of De'Vondre Campbell, as well

Changes of scenery and schemery really can matter
yep, tried to convince fans here that that was probably why Hayward and Hyde excelled after leaving here, also we saw that happen for us with Woodson years back, players are just like any of us, who doesn't try harder for a new boss?
Regarding Hyde and Hayward, those same fans also tried to convince you of the responsibility of a coaching staff to scheme a defense to the strengths of the players on the roster, not players you wish you had. If your player's strengths don't compliment the scheme, it doesn't matter how good the scheme is. Additionally, if the staff failed to recognize what strengths those rostered players had, that is also a failure.

Now Woodson, otoh, was a case study in a player's elite talent complimenting the desired scheme and vice versa. The staff continually put him in position to maximize his talent to the benefit the desired scheme.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Oct 2021 10:12
APB wrote:

Probably wants to win. Everything I’ve read about him is that he wants to win and is a terrific leader. The defense needs that’s at ILB
Ok, sure, but then I'm sure you can say the same thing about the 1,760 rostered players throughout the league. They all want to win, too.

Also, Campbell has been exceedingly good so far so it's not like Smith is gonna walk into a 3-down starting role.

There are many successfully run franchises and decent teams. I'm just curious as to why Smith chose GB specifically. It damn sure wasn't because we're paying him a boatload of additional money.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Not every comment about the past needs to be answered, thus spurring an irrelevant discussion.

I read the link [mention]lupedafiasco[/mention] brought, and I have to say it's somewhat confusing because if you look at 2018 and 2019 Jaylon Smith, you saw a guy whose instincts helped him, not hurt him. He was never all-athlete, no brains. So when his athleticism seems to have taken a hit (why? how? he's only 27 and he succeeded after recovering from a major injury, but it seems to have), he shouldn't just fall off the map entirely. But in 2020, he sure did. And it seems like he was constantly (according to the article) seeing ghosts, second-guessing himself, missing his assignments, etc.

I have actually read some nice things about his 2021 thus far, though in a more limited role. MM says releasing him was a "big picture roster decision" which to me probably means "a backup LB has to play STs and if he gets injured, we're on the hook for him in 2022" (salary guaranteed for injury). But still being released by a team who has guaranteed your salary for the year is always a little strange.

I'm intrigued. The good thing is that there is no downside here. No one lost a roster spot (yet). Our deep ILB guys aren't playing well, anyway. So we're not getting worse and might get better. But fully understanding what went wrong with this guy, and why he was released when he was, and whether he can regain some high-level play will be a fun storyline to learn more about this season as we learn more about him as a player and person.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
07 Oct 2021 10:25
There are many successfully run franchises and decent teams. I'm just curious as to why Smith chose GB specifically. It damn sure wasn't because we're paying him a boatload of additional money.
His salary is guaranteed by the Cowboys. His new team need not pay him anything above the minimum and he will still receive the remainder from the Cowboys (not sure if that's what we did, but it's feasible). Money plays no part.

He likely picked Green Bay because he knows the head coach, he wants to stick it to MM, our ILB room is weak, we're winning, and our DC has a strong reputation for getting good play out of ILBs. I mean, this seems like a strange inquisition to launch. Why does any player choose any team? They evaluate their options and make a choice.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Oct 2021 10:30
APB wrote:
His salary is guaranteed by the Cowboys. His new team need not pay him anything above the minimum and he will still receive the remainder from the Cowboys (not sure if that's what we did, but it's feasible). Money plays no part.

He likely picked Green Bay because he knows the head coach, he wants to stick it to MM, our ILB room is weak, we're winning, and our DC has a strong reputation for getting good play out of ILBs. I mean, this seems like a strange inquisition to launch. Why does any player choose any team? They evaluate their options and make a choice.
We all understand the financial aspect. Didn't feel a need to spell it out as you apparently did.

As far as the "strange inquisition to launch..."

That's two posts in a row you felt the need to try and dictate what should and should not be discussed. The first I'll buy off on because, like you, I don't want to see the Smith conversation derailed to yet another rehash of old arguments.

As to why I'm asking on what compelled Smith to specifically choose the Packers? I'm curious. If there's a connection for him to GB other than the predictable stuff you and Lupe chose to share, I'd like to hear it. Smith has had a career of feel-good stories already. If there's something else meaningful tied to this latest career choice, I'm interested.

That is, so long as it's ok with you.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

APB wrote:
07 Oct 2021 10:41
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Oct 2021 10:30
APB wrote:

We all understand the financial aspect. Didn't feel a need to spell it out as you apparently did.

As far as the "strange inquisition to launch..."

That's two posts in a row you felt the need to try and dictate what should and should not be discussed. The first I'll buy off on because, like you, I don't want to see the Smith conversation derailed too yet another rehash of old arguments.

As to why I'm asking on what compelled Smith to specifically choose the Packers? I'm curious. If there's a connection for him to GB other than the predictable stuff you and Lupe chose to share, I'd like to hear it. Smith has had a career of feel-good stories already. If there's something else meaningful tied to this latest career choice, I'm interested.

That is, so long as it's ok with you.
A guy cut like this will be looking for an opportunity for snaps to prove himself worthy of a contract next offseason. If Jaylon took a quick look at the names of the Packers ILB group, he was probably like "who dey?"

Even if Campbell and Barnes have played better than expected, it's still very likely that the Packers offer the best opportunity in the league for an ILB to prove they're worth their salt. There's the side benefit of a becoming a part of a team with a SB chance.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Oct 2021 10:12
APB wrote:

Ok, sure, but then I'm sure you can say the same thing about the 1,760 rostered players throughout the league. They all want to win, too.

Also, Campbell has been exceedingly good so far so it's not like Smith is gonna walk into a 3-down starting role.

It’s a 1 year deal. Not many teams are as incompetent as we have been finding ILBs and if they have they’re probably not very good.

If we run a traditional nickel with two IDL, 2 edge, and 2 ILB, Smith will be the other LB. if Campbell at any point gets banged up Smith is the guy to step in. It’s the perfect combination of opportunity to win and opportunity to show he can still play and get something long term next season. That’s my guess.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

NCF wrote:
07 Oct 2021 09:15
Sounds like Chauncy Rivers got hurt in practice yesterday and is likely out for the year, so no roster space needed other than to shift Rivers to IR.
Well, crap. Garvin better step it up. I guess now Tipa Galeai will be elevated to the 53?
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I mean, honestly, hard to complain about this.

Pretty cool if you watch the vid.

Small little side note, we will be entitled to a comp pick for him if he signs worth anything of note next year.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Steven A. Smith made a joke the other day when discussing the notion that Rodgers would be a good fit for Pittsburgh and that Pittsburgh would be an even better fit for Rodgers than Green Bay is...

He said "Come on Matt LeFleur or Mike Tomlin?" in which the pronunciation of LeFluer was very French.

The video posted by BF in the other thread showing MLF's gameday coaching mic'd up and now Jaylon Smith specifically targeting the chance to play with this coach.... not to mention the 29-7 regular season record. I'm not sure that choice is quite as easy as S.A.S. may have thought

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Oct 2021 13:49
Steven A. Smith made a joke the other day when discussing the notion that Rodgers would be a good fit for Pittsburgh and that Pittsburgh would be an even better fit for Rodgers than Green Bay is...

He said "Come on Matt LeFleur or Mike Tomlin?" in which the pronunciation of LeFluer was very French.

The video posted by BF in the other thread showing MLF's gameday coaching mic'd up and now Jaylon Smith specifically targeting the chance to play with this coach.... not to mention the 29-7 regular season record. I'm not sure that choice is quite as easy as S.A.S. may have thought
Seriously.

What kind of person actually watches or listens to Stephen A, Colin Cowherd, Shannon/Skip these days?

When you have all the options in the world at your disposal of actual content from locals and fans who know your team, brings on guest experts who have time to actually dive into subjects and have relationships and perspective that delivers good content....who actually wastes their time with these national guys?

I literally want to know who listens to these people and why. Is it because they see them as insightful? Are they funny?

I just don't get it.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Kind of racist of Stephen A to mock coach for his last name or how he thinks it’s pronounced. Not very kind to people of French descent. If he mocked people with other names that represent other cultures it may not be taken so lightly.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
07 Oct 2021 13:19

*Ian Rappaport tweet*

Small little side note, we will be entitled to a comp pick for him if he signs worth anything of note next year.
There you have it. Had no idea MLF and Smith had bonded all those years ago, especially considering their positional offset on that Notre Dame squad.

Thanks for sharing!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
07 Oct 2021 14:18
BF004 wrote:
07 Oct 2021 13:19

*Ian Rappaport tweet*

There you have it. Had no idea MLF and Smith had bonded all those years ago, especially considering their positional offset on that Notre Dame squad.

Thanks for sharing!
Yeah it just needed time to come out.
MLF in his presser today confirmed that he and Smith were very close at Notre Dame. Matt said he hasn't watched Jaylon since they played the Cowboys in 2019.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, that's pretty neat! In fact, I remember De'vondre Campbell saying (in one of his first interviews here) the exact same thing about his time in Atlanta while MLF was coaching there -- they got along great back then, and a big part of the reason Campbell agreed to join this team was because of Matt.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Meanwhile, you got Jeff Saturday on Pat McAfee bashing the culture here during his time in 2012 under Mike McCarthy. Interesting.

Read More. Post Less.