Odell Beckham

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Let’s see what GM Rodgers does here.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Acrobat wrote:
04 Nov 2021 09:55
Finding the troubled guys mid season like Andre Rison in '96 are pretty rare. Odell just simply hasn't showed the talent or attitude that we need since 2016. So no thanks.
Yes, his issue is between the ears. He is the poster child for diva WRs. I don't think he's worth the bother.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I'd be fine with signing Odell IF he is fine with all of the below:

1) Salary of a one who has already gotten paid for the season, and may again get paid big in the off-season. In other words, a minimal prove-it deal with a chance at a SB
2) Not being the no. 1 receiver, he can't have it
3) Blocking for others, since the O requires it

I have a creeping suspicion he may have a problem with one or more of those.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The conditions on which I would allow Odell into the Packers locker room are if he talks to Rodgers, Adams, and Cobb--substantively, not just a quick text--like actual conversations about what being a GB Packer with Rodgers and MLF is all about right now, and if all three of those players give unanimous consent that they believe Odell is on the same page.

Given that this isn't some offseason free agency push where the guys are all hanging around in California or whatever, seems unlikely. But my point is that there are people on the team whose collective opinions I value more than my own opinion. So if they say green, I'll cross my fingers, hold my nose, and get excited for the possible upside.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

More Browns coming out in defense of Odell.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I just dont even see Odell being interested in a place like GB. That man wants to go where he can land commercials. That seems more important to him than football to me.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

What in the world would be the downside? If it doesnt work out u cut him. Just how fragile is this locker room? 2010 seems like a lifetime ago. Probably wont happen but you never know what might finally get us back to the dance. Defense is my biggest concern but I wouldnt be critical of the effort.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Nov 2021 12:02
I just dont even see Odell being interested in a place like GB. That man wants to go where he can land commercials. That seems more important to him than football to me.
I don’t think we’ll be first choice over like Rams, Bucs, or going back home to Louisiana (born and raised and colleged) and the Saints. But I’m sure he’s gotta be thinking, even more than winning, where can I go for 3 months to put forward my best film and best production going into the offseason.

That certainly has to put GB in the running, IMO.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

BF004 wrote:
05 Nov 2021 13:42
Drj820 wrote:
I don’t think we’ll be first choice over like Rams, Bucs, or going back home to Louisiana (born and raised and colleged) and the Saints. But I’m sure he’s gotta be thinking, even more than winning, where can I go for 3 months to put forward my best film and best production going into the offseason.

I can't see him dealing well with Adams getting the majority of passes thrown to him. How long would it be before his father posts a video crying about how poor Odell isn't being used as he should by the big bad QB.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

williewasgreat wrote:
05 Nov 2021 14:16
BF004 wrote:
05 Nov 2021 13:42
Drj820 wrote:

I can't see him dealing well with Adams getting the majority of passes thrown to him. How long would it be before his father posts a video crying about how poor Odell isn't being used as he should by the big bad QB.
I think Rodgers would throw to Odell if he had him. Rodgers doesn’t look at Lazard or MVS because he can’t trust them to get open and if they do sometimes you can’t even trust them to catch the ball.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Realist wrote:
05 Nov 2021 13:16
What in the world would be the downside? If it doesnt work out u cut him. Just how fragile is this locker room? 2010 seems like a lifetime ago. Probably wont happen but you never know what might finally get us back to the dance. Defense is my biggest concern but I wouldnt be critical of the effort.
There could be three downsides:

1) OBJ signs while thinking he can supplant Adams or be a focus on the O, and when he realizes that won't happen, goes back to "destroy locker room" -mode.
2) EVERYONE else on the O, except for the QB, blocks. Including Adams. They all work within the game plan. If OBJ feels like he's above dirtying his hands with something as mundane as blocking for others, or just can't block, it's decreased production for the entire O. No outside runs or screens to his side could limit the O as a whole, and make it more predictable. The downside of all that can offset the benefit of having a better catching WR.
3) If he wants more pay than pretty minimum, that's off next year's Packers. OBJ ain't gonna stick around. He'll look for the greenest pastures as in cash greenest.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I've said a lot of times these past two years that we rely so heavily on Adams more because we can than because we have to. MAYBE Rodgers spreads it around if he has Odell, but a guy who doesn't know the offense and doesn't have a good history of taking his craft seriously that I have heard... I think he would get used slightly more often than a healthy MVS.

Honestly, I'd tell him if he wants to play with Aaron and win a ring, he either needs to sit on the PS for 2-3 weeks while learning the offense or beat out Malik Taylor for his role on STs.

If that means he doesn't come, question answered. He hasn't done anything in the past 2 years to deserve more than the numerous vets who have been integrated into teams that way since the PS rules changed.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

BF004 wrote:
If we get him rest of the year at vet min upon release??

10,000,000,000% in.
Same. If [mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] really did do analysis on Moss back in the day and identified a possible hidden gem, then I would be curious to see what Odell's analysis would yield using the same metrics.

Thing is, if he's cheap enough and starts being bad, we can just cut him.

Otoh, we do have the #1 offense already, without him.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

texas wrote:
05 Nov 2021 14:33
BF004 wrote:

10,000,000,000% in.
Same. If @YoHoChecko really did do analysis on Moss back in the day and identified a possible hidden gem, then I would be curious to see what Odell's analysis would yield using the same metrics.

It was too specific to replicate for the moment. I mean I could take a look. But at the time, I was convinced that The Thing the Packers' offense was missing was the deep threat. And while Moss' overall production was down in Oakland, his deep completion percentage and total production was still better than most. And if you did some rudimentary conservative estimates of what would happen if Moss received the same deep shot targets he got in Oakland over in Green Bay without even without assuming Favre was better at throwing deep balls than whoever he had over there, he'd add that dimension to our offense at a much higher level than we were getting from our current deep threats.

I was also unemployed back then, haha

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Nov 2021 14:40
texas wrote:
05 Nov 2021 14:33
BF004 wrote:

10,000,000,000% in.
Same. If @YoHoChecko really did do analysis on Moss back in the day and identified a possible hidden gem, then I would be curious to see what Odell's analysis would yield using the same metrics.

It was too specific to replicate for the moment. I mean I could take a look. But at the time, I was convinced that The Thing the Packers' offense was missing was the deep threat. And while Moss' overall production was down in Oakland, his deep completion percentage and total production was still better than most. And if you did some rudimentary conservative estimates of what would happen if Moss received the same deep shot targets he got in Oakland over in Green Bay without even without assuming Favre was better at throwing deep balls than whoever he had over there, he'd add that dimension to our offense at a much higher level than we were getting from our current deep threats.

I was also unemployed back then, haha
lol yeah, only if you have time ofc. But it would be interesting to see

I too loved Moss, to which maybe some of the packersplanet crew can attest (and OG Julie's World people). But I liked him solely because of the eye test. I do not like Odell as much. I thought Moss was the best WR of all time (and I still think that), and Odell isn't even a HOF at this point.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

texas wrote:
05 Nov 2021 14:43
I do not like Odell as much. I thought Moss was the best WR of all time (and I still think that), and Odell isn't even a HOF at this point.
that is my exact point. If Odell was even as good as Antonio at this point then i would put up with his antics and want him on the team. Problem is, he just isnt good anymore. His body is too beat down and he is always hurt. Add that to the fact that he probably isnt a locker room fit and seems to would rather be a pro video game player than football player...I say no thanks!!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Nov 2021 14:47
texas wrote:
05 Nov 2021 14:43
I do not like Odell as much. I thought Moss was the best WR of all time (and I still think that), and Odell isn't even a HOF at this point.
that is my exact point. If Odell was even as good as Antonio at this point then i would put up with his antics and want him on the team. Problem is, he just isnt good anymore. His body is too beat down and he is always hurt. Add that to the fact that he probably isnt a locker room fit and seems to would rather be a pro video game player than football player...I say no thanks!!
I always figured, in cases like this, at the first whiff of the player doing something bad you can just cut him

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

In case you haven't seen, the Packers cannot afford to claim Odell. Reports are that claiming team will be on the hook for $7.25M.

Probably goes unclaimed.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
05 Nov 2021 17:35
In case you haven't seen, the Packers cannot afford to claim Odell. Reports are that claiming team will be on the hook for $7.25M.

Probably goes unclaimed.
Pretty sure everyone person here is hoping like hell we don’t claim him.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

There it is. Around the NFL. I knew I found it somewhere.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....