Training Camp 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

NCF wrote:
23 Aug 2022 12:28
It is almost impossible to fathom this anymore based on what preseason has become.

Players get injured in practice, preseason, off season, working out etc. The whole thing regarding players not playing in preseason is tired to me. Players will have season ending injuries week one having being held out of the preseason.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Realist wrote:
23 Aug 2022 18:06
NCF wrote:
It is almost impossible to fathom this anymore based on what preseason has become.

Players get injured in practice, preseason, off season, working out etc. The whole thing regarding players not playing in preseason is tired to me. Players will have season ending injuries week one having being held out of the preseason.
The pro bowl should be at the beginning of the season. Then starters can kind of play without really playing to get ready for the regular season.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

wallyuwl wrote:
23 Aug 2022 21:25
Realist wrote:
23 Aug 2022 18:06
NCF wrote:

The pro bowl should be at the beginning of the season. Then starters can kind of play without really playing to get ready for the regular season.
I was hoping the starters would get a quarter in tomorrow. I would think they would want to.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lets see now, don't play any key players during the PS, in fact keep every starter out on the last PS game, get blown out in the season opener and win 13 of the remaining 15 games, seems like a solid plan to me. :lol:

Lonnng season, and every game is obviously important, but I care more about the last game then the first one :aok:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I didn’t want any starters playing so I’m good with it. They already tacked a game onto the regular season and pulled a bye week from a team per conference. On top of not having the best depth at multiple positions I don’t see how anyone can be mad about this.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Aug 2022 12:06
I didn’t want any starters playing so I’m good with it. They already tacked a game onto the regular season and pulled a bye week from a team per conference. On top of not having the best depth at multiple positions I don’t see how anyone can be mad about this.
I think our depth is honestly awesome.

There are only two positions where I'm genuinely concerened if the starters are out. That is Safety and OLB. Otherwise our depth is as good as it gets IMO.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
24 Aug 2022 12:36
lupedafiasco wrote:

There are only two positions where I'm genuinely concerened if the starters are out. That is Safety and OLB. Otherwise our depth is as good as it gets IMO.
I think WR, TE, edge, S, and interior OL are all concerns. WR is just a mess in general. I would say same for TE if Tonyan isnt ready to come back. Thats a very thin and questionable group. Edge doesnt have a legitimate 3rd rusher IMO just yet. Maybe Enagbare can be that but not quite sure. One injury to either Smith or Gary could doom this defenses pass rush. Any injury at S really hurts this team. Thats also a key STs positon with their speed and tackling ability. Interior OL to me is very weak. As I said in the OL thread. Im not sold on Hanson until I see more, Newman I've never liked, and Rhyan is clearly not ready. I even think Runyan is just pretty average at OG. Good pass blocker but seems to lack some push. Truthfully I think he should be a RT like his Dad.

Strengths clearly being RB, OT, DL, LB, and CB. Its not bad but I think where we are weak we are really weak.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Aug 2022 21:44
Yeah, I mean even the rosiest conversations about him were "he might sneak onto the 53, but has solidified himself as a great PS candidate" so I think the raw aspects and downside make sense, but I always appreciate people who know OL things explaining it to me.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Aug 2022 16:16
go pak go wrote:
24 Aug 2022 12:36
lupedafiasco wrote:

I think WR, TE, edge, S, and interior OL are all concerns. WR is just a mess in general. I would say same for TE if Tonyan isnt ready to come back. Thats a very thin and questionable group. Edge doesnt have a legitimate 3rd rusher IMO just yet. Maybe Enagbare can be that but not quite sure. One injury to either Smith or Gary could doom this defenses pass rush. Any injury at S really hurts this team. Thats also a key STs positon with their speed and tackling ability. Interior OL to me is very weak. As I said in the OL thread. Im not sold on Hanson until I see more, Newman I've never liked, and Rhyan is clearly not ready. I even think Runyan is just pretty average at OG. Good pass blocker but seems to lack some push. Truthfully I think he should be a RT like his Dad.

Strengths clearly being RB, OT, DL, LB, and CB. Its not bad but I think where we are weak we are really weak.
I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of these positions. But I don't think "low depth" is the right word when really what you are saying for everyone outside of S and OLB is the starters just aren't proven.

From my standpoint, WR #4 isn't a large drop from WR #1. That's good depth, but maybe just poor or unproven starters. Same with RG and TE.

So when I say, "I get nervous if our starters are out really for S and OLB" I really mean that. I won't lose sleep if Hanson or Newman go out because the next man isn't a huge drop off.

And that's what I think about when using the word depth. Maybe I'm being word picky. But I think the distinction is legitimate when fearing actual injury or missing playing time from specific players or positions.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

To me if you don’t have proven starters I don’t know how you can say you have good depth at a position.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Aug 2022 11:28
To me if you don’t have proven starters I don’t know how you can say you have good depth at a position.
I mean GPG explained it very cleanly. Depth at a position is defined, to him, as dropoff between the starters and the reserves. If you have 6 uys capable of being WR3 in the NFL, then you have good depth at the position--your 6th guy is as good as many teams' 3rd or 4th! But you can still have unproven starters.

A position can have strong starters and bad depth just as it can have weak starters and good depth. Both are concerns. They are different concerns. And lupe and GPG are simply prioritizing different ones in this conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, I think depth is almost mutually exclusive from starters.

For WR's, your talent, starters, is 1-3, but then your depth would be basically only your 4-6/7 guys.

Despite lacking in starters, our WR depth is better than our safety depth or edge depth, or RB depth I'd say as well, unless Dillon is a depth guy. I don't know, not always a fair comparison.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Some super fun all-access LaFleur with Basaccia crashing the party.

Here is the whole episode.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Aug 2022 23:20
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022 ... taylor-nfl

Key snap counts
It's tough to make much sense of without knowing when in the game those snapcounts came. There's some description of it in the comments below the charts, but the charts themselves don't provide much meaning to me. Do you have takeaways?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Aug 2022 09:23
Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Aug 2022 23:20
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022 ... taylor-nfl

Key snap counts
It's tough to make much sense of without knowing when in the game those snapcounts came. There's some description of it in the comments below the charts, but the charts themselves don't provide much meaning to me. Do you have takeaways?
First sentence of the article:

"Last week, Acme Packing Company tracked the Green Bay Packers’ “key snaps” throughout the summer, which consisted of first-team snaps on Family Night and first-half snaps in the preseason."

Also there were 10 questions in the article that they tried to answer.

The biggest thing I glean from the snaps is Toure on PS, Rodgers and Winfree on the 53 with the 5 locks.