What Are You Watching?

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
27 Aug 2022 21:06
Anyone watch House of the Dragon Ep. 1?
Yep, can't make a judgement yet. Still unsure about the actors.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
A bit underwhelmed with the first episode. Gonna continue watching but not feeling the same draw as GOT.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

APB wrote:
27 Aug 2022 22:39
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
A bit underwhelmed with the first episode. Gonna continue watching but not feeling the same draw as GOT.
I was cringing bigtime when they intercut the "birth" with the tournament. Seemed gratuitous. But I did like the way the main characters were set up. Pilots are hard, I have a friend who will watch any series but will not watch the pilot because it so rarely hits the mark and represents what the show will become.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Thoughts on Ep. 2? I thought it was much better than 1. Laying the groundwork for some good things to come, I hope.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Aug 2022 11:38
Thoughts on Ep. 2? I thought it was much better than 1. Laying the groundwork for some good things to come, I hope.
Yes, I enjoyed E2 better, as well.

A couple things though:

What's up with this king? Every other scene someone is stomping off in a huff without his leave. Future Joffrey would've had some heads on pikes by now. I get that he's being portrayed as a kinda wuss but the royal cat gets more respect than this king.

And I'm a little thrown off by the political maneuvering for the next seat in line to the throne. Yeah, pairing up with the now widowed king is an avenue to get your family a stake to the throne. But putting up your 12 year old? Seriously? And he instead chooses the 14 year old? And what of these fathers who pushed their daughters toward this union? Yeah, it's another time period but...ewww.

And all the maneuvering to marry the king...while not a peep about marrying up to the now next-in-line princess. I'd think there would be suitors lining up out the door vying to marry the newly anointed heir to the throne. It's a direct link to the throne, after all. But nope, not a word. The whole thing is just perversely weird.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Otto Hightower (the Hand) is the smoking kicker from THE REPLACEMENTS..... ;)

Alicent is 15, I believe. People forget that not very long ago middle aged men or men in their twenties married teens. Tolstoy, for example, was 35 when he married his wife, who was 18. Among the royals marriage was allowed (by the church) at 12 for girls and 14 for boys.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
29 Aug 2022 19:44
Otto Hightower (the Hand) is the smoking kicker from THE REPLACEMENTS..... ;)

Alicent is 15, I believe. People forget that not very long ago middle aged men or men in their twenties married teens. Tolstoy, for example, was 35 when he married his wife, who was 18. Among the royals marriage was allowed (by the church) at 12 for girls and 14 for boys.
Yeah, it's a different time period, sure. But this king looks to be at least 50ish and he's being actively courted by a 12 yr old (who really looks more 10) after being encouraged by her father to do so. Just really weird.

And oh, 15. Then it's all good... ;) :puke:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Holy crap I'm stoked BOTH the new Dragon series and the new Rings look like real high quality series. I don't even care to rank which is off to the better start.

I especially liked how the Rings manages to capture the wonder and curiosity of the LoTR films (and not the self-serving bloatedness with forced action scenes of the Hobbits). Feels like a natural companion piece to the LoTR movies.

And House of Dragons feels like GoT through and through.

Both series benefit from having more freedom from the source material --> the watcher not knowing what's gonna happen, expect for some very vague things and a few unkillable characters.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I watched the 1st episode of Rings tonight and enjoyed it.

Going to wait a bit on Dragon. When a few more episodes are out, then I'll pay for hbo.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The Sandman series is also well-worth watching if you want something original.

True to Neil Gaiman's comics, and those stories are real good stories also in moving pictures format. Truly memorable and thought-provoking stuff here. If you're into history, there's a lot of stisfying name- and quote-dropping.

Especially loved the story of Hob, a normal guy given an eternal life (as long as he still wants to live) just to see whether a normal dude's will to live would last through centuries of shifting fortunes.

But it doesn't quite soar like the graphic novels. Not sure why. Maybe 'cause some episodes are "too" faithful re-tellings of since the originals, and somehow I remember them too well and thus could no longer feel the adventure. Would be interested on how folks not familiar with the comics viewed it...

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
19 Aug 2022 17:04
Anyone watch The Umbrella Academy?

I enjoyed the hell out of it, was excited for their latest season and it somehow exceeded my expectations.

I should have figured I was in for a treat given that this was how they started (benign spoiler)...
Spoiler
Finished S3. Show has exceeded my expectations although I'll admit my expectations were low. It's a fun watch nonetheless. The Allison and Vanya brooding character paths get tiring after a while but the comic relief between the remaining characters interspersed with their time travel blundering is fun to follow.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Time to resurrect this thread.

Andor? The best Star Wars miniseries thus far, IMO.

Wednesday? It was fun.

The Last of Us? Hell yes!

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Jan 2023 20:26

Wednesday? It was fun.

Let me guess...Netflix?
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Trudge wrote:
17 Jan 2023 22:00
Pckfn23 wrote:

Wednesday? It was fun.

Let me guess...Netflix?
Disney+
Netflix
HBO

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Jan 2023 22:04
Trudge wrote:
17 Jan 2023 22:00
Pckfn23 wrote:

Wednesday? It was fun.

Let me guess...Netflix?
Disney+
Netflix
HBO
The Last of Us looks good. Played the game and that was badass. Sucks cause all of this comes out and everyone is on different platforms. :/
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:

Wednesday? It was fun.

I have heard good things about The Last of Us. I think I may wait until the entire first season plays out before giving it a go.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air on HBO Max

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Tulsa King has so far exceeded my expectations. Stallone will never win an Emmy for his acting but the storyline and characters are fun. Another Taylor Sheridan creation that wins.

Speaking of Taylor Sheridan, will be watching S2 of Mayor of Kingstown once I’m done with TK. Loved S1.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Didn't like the season ending of Tulsa King. I hate end of season cliffhangers. Who Shot Mr Burns was too much. :lol: But overall a really good show.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The Last of Us on HBO Max >>>>>
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23