Green Bay Packers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers GDT - 10/18/2020 - 4:25 EST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.packers.com/news/inbox-that ... -sometimes

Some good tidbits in there. Good Read.

https://www.packers.com/news/what-you-m ... ng-his-own

Turner with a good game and having a good year
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Look at the down and distance and then look where the secondary defenders line up. Is it any wonder it was an easy completion for 1st down?

WTF Petine?!?

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (96.07 KiB) Viewed 388 times

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
20 Oct 2020 22:38
Look at the down and distance and then look where the secondary defenders line up. Is it any wonder it was an easy completion for 1st down?

WTF Petine?!?

Pettine is a wet blanket of a DC. This guy is totally afraid of getting beaten for the big play. Pepega.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Oct 2020 23:41
APB wrote:

WTF Petine?!?

Pettine is a wet blanket of a DC. This guy is totally afraid of getting beaten for the big play. Pepega.
Big play? The ball is at the 16 yardline!!!!

This play and the Keke and Clark dropping back in coverage have to be nominees for worst defensive calls this season in the NFL.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Oct 2020 19:39
https://www.packers.com/news/what-you-m ... ng-his-own

Turner with a good game and having a good year
Hey now. Don't be bringing data and support about Turner playing like a top tackle in the league.

We need to keep the narrative of why we suck is due to the terrible Turner signing, the Packers not focusing on any DL depth and not putting any emphasis on ILB in the draft.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
21 Oct 2020 06:15
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:

WTF Petine?!?

This play and the Keke and Clark dropping back in coverage have to be nominees for worst defensive calls this season in the NFL.
I’m not talking about that play specifically but we see this all the time from this defense with off coverages on 3rd and short or medium.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Oct 2020 06:43
go pak go wrote:
21 Oct 2020 06:15
lupedafiasco wrote:

I’m not talking about that play specifically but we see this all the time from this defense with off coverages on 3rd and short or medium.
No I totally get what you're meaning. I think that was the strategy too. I mean obviously. Nobody is up to press the receivers.

What is so freaking ironic about this is the ball is at the 16 yardline. Like. The definition of an explosive play is 20 yards or more. That literally can't happen on this play. I am so fed up with Pettine.

How in the world can the talent on defense only get better each year for Pettine and his defense only get worse each year.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Here is Andy's grades for the offense.

Worst graded players of the game: Aaron Rodgers and Robert Tonyan.
Best graded players of the game: Offensive Line.

Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:

WTF Petine?!?

Yes, I was definitely bitching about that one real time.

Like zero sense.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I mean, I like get the call and everything that comes in, but like also at what point do you as a player say damn, 3rd and 2, I need to press this a bit tighter??

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Not sure if this was brought up already but is anyone else surprised that we still haven't run more up-tempo no-huddle style on offense? MLF said that was something he wanted to do as guys were more comfortable with the offense. I thought last week was the perfect time to do that because of the way the Bucs were timing blitzes with us snapping the ball at the end of the play clock. Kind of like a basketball coach going to full-court pres to change tempo. If we were lethargic getting out of the huddle as A-Rod said then screw the huddle.

I would have done it right after the Pick 6 because their defense was hepped up and ultra aggressive then.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
21 Oct 2020 08:55
I mean, I like get the call and everything that comes in, but like also at what point do you as a player say damn, 3rd and 2, I need to press this a bit tighter??
The biggest thing I don't get is we have a clear two on 1 situation. I mean there is no way we win that or can even try to win that. Even if (I belive it's Sullivan) presses at the line. He is still toast.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

McGinn Review:
“Certainly yesterday was extremely bad,” LaFleur said. “I think – I know – it totally starts with me first. I obviously didn’t get these guys ready to play, and I don’t think I did a good enough job as a play caller, either. That’s two problems in one.”
Normally, Rodgers enjoys seeing teams blitz. Bowles blitzed heavily Sunday, sending five or more on 45.2 percent of dropbacks and six or more on 11.9 percent.
On Sunday, the Bucs sacked Rodgers five times and knocked him down eight other times. In the first four games combined, Rodgers had been sacked three times and knocked down four other times.
“I’ve got to do a better job of staying with it,” LaFleur said. “We talked going into the game (that) it was OK with the 2-, 3-, 4-yarders. Because that is a good run defense and certainly brought a lot of pressure.”

“I don’t think it’s just necessarily they have two fast linebackers,” LaFleur said. “I think they’ve got two of the better edge rushers, certainly Suh inside and their safeties and corners do a great job. They do it on all three levels. Same with the Niners.”
The three stars of the game were: 1. Krys Barnes. 2. Chandon Sullivan. 3. David Bakhtiari.
Adams played 52 of the 63 possible snaps on offense. Allen Lazard (core surgery) was missed. All that Marquez Valdes-Scantling (53) offers that Lazard doesn’t is deep speed. He did get open downfield twice but the balls weren’t thrown accurately. Malik Taylor (32) is just kind of out there. Playing in his first game since an August 2019 exhibition in Winnipeg, Equanimeous St. Brown (11) made a forgettable return. He dropped one short pass in the left flat and appeared to run a suspect route on another. Darrius Shepherd (six) played even fewer snaps. Marcedes Lewis (21) isn’t the tight end you want running deep down the field. On the other hand, the Bucs would have paid attention had it been Robert Tonyan (37) or Jace Sternberger (20). Yes, the ball was slightly overthrown to the wide-open Lewis, but he showed absolutely no burst to go get it. A sundial might be appropriate to time him in the 40.
That last comment is absurd. Of course Lewis shows no burst. That is not what he is on the team to do... We all know he is not fast or quick anymore.
Easily the best performer was LT David Bakhtiari (40). He was having a strong day against OLB Jason Pierre-Paul
Rick Wagner’s performance over the final 23 snaps wasn’t pretty. He hasn’t been a starter on the left side since his last two seasons at Wisconsin, and that was 2011-12. His NFL career as a starter with the Ravens and Lions was strictly at RT. Really, he had no chance against Pierre-Paul, who abused him for one-half sack, a pressure and a “bad” run.
Wagner played 119 solid snaps at RT in Games 1-2. Jenkins had extreme highs and extreme lows. On one hand, there were at least four occasions when he used his immense power to deposit four defensive linemen into heaps.
As good as Corey Linsley has played, he does have athletic limitations. One way or another, it’s the job of the center to get David blocked on two carries for no yards by Aaron Jones. On the longest gain of the day, Linsley combo-blocked onto David and Jamaal Williams shot by for 25 yards. On the right side, scrappy Lucas Patrick fought the good fight against Ndamukong Suh whereas Turner turned in a losing performance. Watching Patrick attack Suh was reminiscent of Suh’s battles with C-G Evan Dietrich-Smith from 2011-13 when Suh was a Lion. Patrick’s day included one “bad” run and partial responsibility on two pressures. The Packers can live with that. Of Turner’s 4 ½ pressures, two came against Pierre-Paul and 1 ½ against OLB Shaq Barrett. His run blocking was effective.
If Aaron Rodgers was in his first or second season hoping to squeeze out a career in pro football, this was the kind of performance he would worry about once scouts from the 31 other teams saw it on film. After four sparkling showings, the Rodgers of Sunday was reminiscent of the ineffective Rodgers from last season.
The Bucs got after Rodgers, but he was at least partially at fault for three pressures by holding the ball too long. He was charged with intentional grounding once and was fortunate not to be penalized for another. He had four throwaways, one more than he had in the first five games. It appeared as if he had no idea the play clock had expired in the third quarter before referee Jerome Boger got around to calling delay of game.
Kingsley Keke, who played 37 of the 65 possible snaps on defense, got the start ahead of Tyler Lancaster (nine) but didn’t get much done. He was OK at the point, but on one occasion took himself out of a gap through which a sizeable gain occurred. Lancaster, who had a shoulder injury, played just one snap in the second half. Kenny Clark (41) turned in a workmanlike performance in his return after missing 3 ½ games with a groin injury. He showed range hustling to the sideline on a screen. He stuffed LG Ali Marpet on a third and 2. He shed C Ryan Jensen and made the tackle on a 2-yard gain. There were other instances, however, in which Clark and Dean Lowry (43) were displaced. Montravius Adams played 28 snaps, his highest total since the finale in 2018. Entering the lineup in the second quarter, he showed great energy early. He is an explosive athlete. He can penetrate. He’s learning to use his hands. Adams’ left hand is next to his face in his three-point stance, à la Mike Daniels. He surprised Jensen, slipped around him and tackled LeSean McCoy for minus-3, the only tackle for a loss. He beat Marpet and tackled Ronald Jones for a gain of 2. He tried an unorthodox spin move on Marpet and stopped a run after a 1-yard gain.
Krys Barnes (57) continued his bid for the starting job if and when Kamal Martin (knee) and Christian Kirksley (chest) return. Barnes showed again that he possesses knockback capability as a tackler. He made three stops after gains of 1 or 2 yards. When RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn dropped a pass, Barnes drilled him. He was booked for two of the four tackles missed by linebackers. Ty Summers (22) wasn’t bad, either.
Someone had to cover Gronkowski one-on-one, and the Packers went with Amos (65) over Darnell Savage (43). Problem is, Amos is becoming more and more of a liability in coverage. This might have been Amos’ poorest game in Green Bay. On runs of 25 and 19 yards, he either took bad angles or lacked sufficient change of direction to make the tackle. Even worse, he dropped one fairly easy interception and then showed dreadful tracking ability on a wayward pass that he didn’t even touch but surely could have intercepted. Savage had a chance to smash Gronkowski on a long completion but his shoulder shove had little impact. Raven Greene (24) and Will Redmond (22) are versatile spares. Greene hasn’t shown much coverage ability. Redmond, who knocked down Brady, might be Pettine’s best rusher from the second and third levels. Not having Kevin King (quadriceps) really hurt. Pettine decided to travel Jaire Alexander (60) with Mike Evans almost wherever he went. With Evans slowed by a bad ankle, Tom Brady targeted him merely twice. Instead, he went after Josh Jackson (65) and Amos primarily with Chris Godwin and Gronkowski.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:

WTF Petine?!?

that is a horrific photo
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, I am about done with Pettine. That NFCCG alone was so bad that I wouldn't have blamed them for firing him for that game alone (not that I would have done the same, but it would have been defensible because the performance was THAT bad).

Brady is right there with Rodgers as one of the best QBs at reading defenses, ever, but he is a statue and his play falls off dramatically when you get pressure on him -- it boggles the mind that the plan for Pettine was to try to beat him with coverages with an okay secondary missing a CB against a stacked group of skill-players than to try to exploit their average OL with our dangerous LBs/DL or heck even some blitzes.

I just don't think he has the right general approach/philosophy for the game right now.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

And what's so frustrating about it is 2020 is likely our peak in terms of talent on the team.

So we can't waste this season because our defensive coordinator refuses to not play passive.

And again. Fine. Play passive. But if you play passive, you better damn well not give up 3rd downs in the redzone. You better able to capitalize on offensive mistakes and get turnovers.

We just aren't seeing any of that this year.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Hey, 3 days after the game is over, we finally have someone on our team willing to hit the Buccaneers back. Save some of the sass for the field, Davante.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

A video on a bit of what went wrong against the Buccs. Most of us noticed what was going on with the Buccs attacking our backs in pass protection but hes how they did it a bit in detail. Something to learn from. Especially for Lafleur. He really needs to get better at adjusting in game when things arent working especially against teams that are blitzing out of control.