2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
15 Nov 2023 07:06
Yoop wrote:
15 Nov 2023 06:52
APB wrote:
15 Nov 2023 06:41

Who does Wilde write for nowadays? He said something about having a field day with MLFs comments during the presser. I'd like to read what he puts out following that ridiculous exchange with MLF.
ESPN and Athletic last I new, unless he changed, he does a podcast with Tausher as well or use to, always felt Wilde was McGinn type writer, pull no punches, just the facts jack, can just imagine he had some laughs with Lafleur's response.

heres his podcast link.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/j ... 1550407062
I don't think he ever got on The Athletic. I have a subscription to that and don't recall seeing him as a contributor. And I just as soon avoid ESPN. :lol:

Thanks for the link, though. :aok:
me too and I'am pretty sure I've read articles from him there, his podcast are good, informative.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Here is what I hope the case is with LaFleur going after Wilde: LaFleur is beyond pissed in what Barry is doing with the defense and already knows his run defense isn't sound. LaFleur gets a question about that and takes his frustrations out on Wilde. I hope...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Nov 2023 09:45
Here is what I hope the case is with LaFleur going after Wilde: LaFleur is beyond pissed in what Barry is doing with the defense and already knows his run defense isn't sound. LaFleur gets a question about that and takes his frustrations out on Wilde. I hope...
I donno. MLF seemed genuine in his response and anger toward Wilde. If he was trying to send some sort of secret message to Barry through his response to the media's question, he should just go down the hall and let Barry know himself like a man. He hired Barry. Barry is his employee.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 Nov 2023 09:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Nov 2023 09:45
I donno. MLF seemed genuine in his response and anger toward Wilde. If he was trying to send some sort of secret message to Barry through his response to the media's question, he should just go down the hall and let Barry know himself like a man. He hired Barry. Barry is his employee.
I am saying I HOPE, not that it is or even is likely. Not even saying it was a message of any kind. Just hoping beyond hope that it was an example of someone angered at someone else, taking their frustrations out on another.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I'm sure there is some legitimacy to the "stupid reporters think they no more than the coach" argument, and there might even be some truth to what MLF is saying, that maybe a concept when executed correctly, does make sense.

I just wish he would have handled himself differently. Saying certain reporters are "exposed" when your defense is the one being exposed and your team is sitting at 3-6 is just poor PR in general.

A better response would have been "I understand your argument, but we believe in our system when executed correctly" and leave it at that.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Acrobat wrote:
15 Nov 2023 09:56
I'm sure there is some legitimacy to the "stupid reporters think they no more than the coach" argument, and there might even be some truth to what MLF is saying, that maybe a concept when executed correctly, does make sense.

I just wish he would have handled himself differently. Saying certain reporters are "exposed" when your defense is the one being exposed and your team is sitting at 3-6 is just poor PR in general.

A better response would have been "I understand your argument, but we believe in our system when executed correctly" and leave it at that.
It's the first time he's been a loser. He was in the honeymoon period for the first 3 years. Now he is losing and now the questions are rolling in. Will be interesting to see how his mood continues.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

He already lashed out once with "BS question!" which in fairness he did later apologize for, but yeah, he's not very composed against pressure.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
15 Nov 2023 10:17
He already lashed out once with "BS question!" which in fairness he did later apologize for, but yeah, he's not very composed against pressure.
Neither was McCarthy in his later years. I've never really enjoyed MLF's press conferences.

His first year he was good but let out WAY too much information.
He then started being more coy in 2020 and 2021.
He is now in the loser phase.

Now my favorite press conference guy? Mike McCarthy from 2006 - 2010. No question about it. I ate every word of that man.

"Stack Success"
"We're nobody's underdog"
"He has a leg"
"Our largest challenge as a team is how to deal with success" (this was in 2006 when all we did was lose)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Barry is just guessing out there.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I've seen more hustle to the ball from a JV squad, zero reaction to the ball till the play is almost over.

I hope the media continues to keep Lafleur on the hot seat over the crap we've seen with Barry.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Wilde writes for the Wisconsin State Journal.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Nov 2023 11:11
https://www.jsonline.com/videos/sports/ ... 585717007/

LeRoy Butler is confused too...
I think most here understand and have understood everything Butler just explained, imho the only people confused are our coaches, Lafleur's explanations about how OLB's become DE's in nickel is so simple minded it hardly would need explanation to a HS kid, duh, and why wouldn't a opposing QB check to a run play when seeing those Nickel DE's in the 9 gaps, it's as though Barry and Lafleur want to be run on, both coaches are defending stuff proven to not work, and expecting that fans will believe there BS excuses :thwap:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
14 Nov 2023 17:36
musclestang wrote:
14 Nov 2023 16:48
it's obvious that Barry is going nowhere. in fact I think it's likely he's the DC next year too because none of them are going anywhere until Murphy is done.
Barry should be safe rest of the year. No one really to replace him. I think our Run Game Coordinator Jerry Montgomery would be next in line, I’ll let the jokes write themselves on that one.

Although next year, assuming we miss the playoffs, LaFluer pretty much gotta be in the mindset that he’s coaching for his job. He’ll make the DC decision with the best interest in 2024 in mind.
I respectfully disagree.

One of the most obvious faults of GM and coaching hierarchies in the NFL is that they only want to hire "proven" leaders as HC or the coordinator positions. With the current staffs of the current NFL and NCAA organizations, there are MANY who could replace JoeB or any other coordinator. Yeah, there's a risk that they could do worse (or at least not be an improvement). But there are definitely some who would do better than Joe.

Every "good" coordinator and HC was, at one time, unproven.

The biggest risk, I think, for any GM is to hire an unproven coach as HC or coordinator. And Green Bay is most surely guilty of that.

What they need to do it be willing to admit that they are on the bottom and looking up. Then, take a risk. They do not have anything to lose. Pick somebody to go forward with.

Guty isn't so old that he couldn't make this happen. His thing is that he is still wanting to stick with MLF. So, he won't pressure MLF to release Barry. So our defense and the entire team suffers.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think when Lafleur goes, gute will be out of a job too.

Neither will be gone at the end of 2023.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

LaCoach is starting to become a first class irritant just like Devine did in the early 1970s before Bart was hired.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023 ... h-steelers

Lot of good videos and graphics to show the issues in stopping the run last week.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Nov 2023 10:23
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023 ... h-steelers

Lot of good videos and graphics to show the issues in stopping the run last week.
The common theme in all of this? 2-4-5 nickel front defense where spacing is an issue. They do not have the bigger bodies commonly associated with the Fangio defenses in the interior to play gap-and-half defense. It’s pick your poison though, if they were to play more 3-3-5 penny front defenses, the secondary would be vulnerable to chunk plays in the passing game. In this game, there was no threat of that happening but Joe Barry apparently didn’t make the strategic assessment that this was necessary. And it hurt them.
Well, at least I wasn't completely insane to suggest a 3-3-5

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Nov 2023 11:11
https://www.jsonline.com/videos/sports/ ... 585717007/

LeRoy Butler is confused too...
Awwww damn LeRoy is EXPOSED!!!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Green Bay Packers edge rusher Rashan Gary has 34 pressures on just 176 pass-rushing snaps and a pass-rush win rate of 25.6 — second best among edge rushers to only Myles Garrett — entering Week 11. There is no question that Gary, who recently signed a $96 million contract extension, has been a consistent winner and disruptor in 2023.
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/1 ... ce=twitter