Duh Bares Vs. The Packers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Let's not forget how well the offensive line has played. They have been inconsistent at times, but overall they have been solid. This is one area I think Gutey has done a good job with.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2020 15:00
lulu wrote:
30 Nov 2020 14:09
YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Nov 2020 12:02

I mean, the team has played multiple games without its best players--LT David Bakhtiari, RB Aaron Jones, WR Davante Adams, WR2 Allen Lazard. They're in and out of the lineup--the guys we thought we literally couldn't survive without.

Of COURSE there's inconsistency. Once they all got back together against the Colts I was hopeful it's flip a switch and be back to normal; they were good but not all the way there last week. This week, they were all the way there. This is how we started the season, and health allowing, should be how we end it, too.
Thanks for agreeing there is inconsistency, I think?

Inconsistency is OK during the regular season. Inconsistency in the playoffs gets you a ticket home. The issues that I see with this team are between the ears, which is largely the responsibility of the coaching staff. We have the players it takes to get it done but we can ill afford to be our own worst enemy (lack of fire, poor fundamentals, sloppy play, turnovers, foolish penalties). As we saw in the Colts game, this was the deciding factor, in my opinion.
The positive again is at least in the NFC, there isn't any team I would put above the Packers in that regard.

The Saints have the best record though I have trouble being afraid of them. The Seahawks and Rams are likely next to be most feared from us but they too suffer incredibly from inconsistency issues.

We are 2 plays from being 10-1. On the flip side, I can't really think of any game we were "lucky" to win this year. We were the controlling team in all of our wins. Unlike last year where we escaped a few games that we honestly should not have won.
The Saints with Hill at QB are beatable but that defense is much better now than when we played them earlier this season. Wilson is a handful but Seattle's D isn't. The Rams' D is formidable but their offense is inconsistent. I have a feeling other teams that watched us Sunday night are not looking forward to facing Rodgers and our offense this year. Our D has issues but our O is a machine at times. It will take their best offensive performances to match what MLF's offense is doing right now.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Nov 2020 09:37
German_Panzer wrote:
30 Nov 2020 09:23
Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Nov 2020 08:11
So after we went up 41-10 we gave up 15 points and 147 yards. Ya, does that statistically suck? Sure it does. Did it matter one little bit? No. Should we probably be a little more aggressive, just to set the tone? Maybe. I would have liked to see us make a stop on one of those drives, but oh well, the game was out of hand by that point.
I don't care about this late stuff - preventive defense. But I worry about the start of the game where no preventive defense was playing. Our D! sucked against an offense with Trubi-dubi-doo. Look at the 1st half again, don't look at the stats or the outcome, look what happened. Any competent QB would have gotten 14 points on us. Pettine needs to go or MLF has to do some serious talk. We cannot waste such an opportunity: Godgers, Adams, Jones and no $%@# nemesis like the 49ers 2013 or from last year. We have a real shot and Pettine reenacts Dom Capers 2.0.
You mean the start of the game that saw a 57 yard run on a terrible personnel group and alignment, but outside that gave up 32 yards on 3 drives and 3 points. Along with an INT and a scoop and score.

I agree that Pettine needs to go and that 57 yard run is almost all on him, but one can not seriously say that the defense sucked at the start of the game.
And the 57 yard run was a result of our ILB vacating his space. The RB had nobody filling the hole to oppose him.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

bud fox wrote:
30 Nov 2020 16:15
Yes he has seemed to matured and is focused more on moving the chains. Playbook also a factor seems to be reduced number of verticals outside of play action. Also not hearing any injury issues with him this year which has been able to play through but have been an issue in previous seasons.

Imagine Rodgers with Mahomes weapons.

At the moment seems neck and neck with Mahomes for MVP.

Currently on 117.6 QB rating - if the season finished now that would be two seasons in the top 5 for QB rating. This is also over nearly a 10 year period - often QBs might have one good season but two top 5 seasons 9 years apart shows longevity.

Drew Brees the only QB to have 2 top 10 QB rating seasons.

If he does this I think it solidifies Rodgers as the best QB of all time.
Yes, what Rodgers is doing with just a couple of superior offensive weapons is remarkable. Mahomes is great but would he be so dominate if wasn't in KC? I doubt it and this is why he is the MVP this year.
Last edited by Pugger on 01 Dec 2020 06:30, edited 1 time in total.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Nov 2020 16:17
bud fox wrote:
30 Nov 2020 16:15
At the moment seems neck and neck with Mahomes for MVP.

Currently on 117.6 QB rating - if the season finished now that would be two seasons in the top 5 for QB rating. This is also over nearly a 10 year period - often QBs might have one good season but two top 5 seasons 9 years apart shows longevity.

Drew Brees the only QB to have 2 top 10 QB rating seasons.

If he does this I think it solidifies Rodgers as the best QB of all time.
Woah woah, slow down... let's win a few Super Bowls first 8-)
Winning SBs isn't the only gauge to determine how good a QB is. Football is the ultimate team sport. No QB can do it alone. Dan Marino is considered one of the best and most talented QB to play and he never won a ring. He is consistently ranked in the top 10 in NFL history. Eli Manning has 2 rings and is never considered a top QB.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

What the Pack did best against da Bears was hold on to the ball. After gifting it away 4 times the previous week, this was going to be the most important place that we cleaned up. Once the running game was moving, that opened up everything else.

It was nice to see ESB get some plays. Tonyan is showing some great route running. He isn't fast. But his hands are good and if he gets open more often than not... The OLine has also been superior. I remember the days when starters went down that the backups sucked and it was a nightmare. In 2020, our OLine has been good no matter who plays where. Lots of credit should go there.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Andy Herman's defensive grades.

Good: Darnell Savage and Kevin King

Bad: Pretty much everyone else.

Really bad: Christian Kirksey and the pass rush. Overall I can't argue this. I too think our defense largely looked good because we played such a poor Bears offense. Really disappointed in our pass rush that 2nd half. We just needed one sack to end it and could never get home or even hardly pressure.

Yes the Bears through the ball quick, but this stretch of December games we are playing below average offenses. This is our time to start looking good.

And my goodness Christian Kirksey looks terrible. We really need to hope Kamal Martin can take over this role.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 Dec 2020 07:38
Andy Herman's defensive grades.

Good: Darnell Savage and Kevin King

Bad: Pretty much everyone else.

Really bad: Christian Kirksey and the pass rush. Overall I can't argue this. I too think our defense largely looked good because we played such a poor Bears offense. Really disappointed in our pass rush that 2nd half. We just needed one sack to end it and could never get home or even hardly pressure.

Yes the Bears through the ball quick, but this stretch of December games we are playing below average offenses. This is our time to start looking good.

And my goodness Christian Kirksey looks terrible. We really need to hope Kamal Martin can take over this role.

well we can hope in one hand, well you know the rest, Martin is a limited athlete, you see a player who based on simple instincts made a couple nice plays, same with Barnes, Kirksey has made more good plays then bad, and all 3 get caught chasing the front side of the play and blocked off of getting to the back side that they vacated, least thats what my eyes tell me, it's time for us to spend a high pick on a position that means more now then it did in the past, we are so limited defensively because we are forced to platoon to much at this now key position to defend either the run, or then the pass, we lack the ability to be two dimensional, and we give up a ton of big plays because of it, the 57 yrd Bears run is just one example, I bet we average giving up 4 chain movers a game right in short center because we are stuck with the wrong platoon.

we passed on Queen and others last year, we can't keep handicaping the defense any more.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Preston Smith did have a good game. He had a few pressures, but most important he kept the edge and didn't allow Trubisky to run around the edge on his side. He was disciplined. Also, 2nd half pressures drop specifically because we were playing soft coverage and the ball was coming out too quick to get pressure. Pass rush and coverage need to work hand in hand. I get why they were playing soft coverage when we were up 41-10... Raven Greene also needs to get a big thumbs down for this game.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."