General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Unfortunately returning to school is going to blow that up.

Israel's cases exploded after opening schools. The few countries that have pulled off low Covid and open schools are doing things that just aren't going to fly in the US, and our starting point is WAY higher active cases per capita.

But, on the subject of C's, I wouldn't be that upset if they moved on from Linsley now. Patrick was ok last year, and the miscues he did have certainly weren't helped by him being a backup. I don't see Linsley as a plus blocker at this point in his career, its more of a consistency thing with him, he doesn't make many mistakes. But, like Linsley taking over relatively seamless as a rookie, I could see the same thing with Hansen. I don't see why the team would even consider moving Jenkins over, that's like moving your LT over to play G. Jenkins appears to be a future all-pro LG, why would they mess with that?

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
21 Aug 2020 10:42
Still trending in the right direction. Hopefully returning to school doesn't blow this all up.

But son of a bitch, knock on wood, we might just be able to start football in 3 weeks. :banana:
My boys started yesterday.

I think it's going to go real well... or real bad.

Let us hope the numbers continue to decline for everyone's sake.
RIP JustJeff

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

snippet from an old article at the Athletic on Pettine - gives ya a little insight into his training techniques

"In 2009, during the first practice after rookie minicamp, the Jets shifted Westerman from outside linebacker to inside linebacker with numbers thin at that position. Westerman was 6-2 and 257 pounds with a background as a defensive end at Rutgers, where he had 26 sacks and 44 ½ tackles for loss in four seasons. Aside from working out with the linebackers during his pro day, Westerman lacked any kind of training as the “Mike” linebacker at the heart of a defense.

Pettine had seen the footage of Westerman’s pro day when he studied the incoming rookies prior to their arrival in Florham Park, N.J., and he used that workout as a means of motivating his young player — just not in the way one might expect.

The Jets incorporated some of the drills from Westerman’s pro day into their fundamental periods during organized team activities. There was a coverage drill, for example, where linebackers made cuts at various angles before flipping their hips and sprinting to catch a ball thrown by a coach. The movements themselves were easy for Westerman, but snagging passes remained problematic.

“On my pro day tape I dropped every single ball they threw to me,” Westerman said. “When I say every single ball, I mean I’ve seen better hands on a clock, man. It was horrible. It was bad. Even myself, I was embarrassed.

“And every time I would hear [Pettine in practice], ‘Hands, hands! I’ve seen better hands on a clock. Hands like a snake. It hit him in a bad spot: his hands!’ And every day, every day he just rode me. But you know what ? It’s the pressure that you feel in a game when the lights shine the brightest, and I think he was preparing us — especially me being a rookie, new position, being a professional my first time, having to play a lot as a rookie — I think mentally he was trying to prepare me for that spotlight.”

Pettine’s rewiring of players is the bedrock for establishing the culture he expects from a defense, wherein the individuals are secure enough to withstand criticism. The belief in one’s self — plus a belief in the system overall — serve as a catalyst for the tenacious edge Pettine craves."

IT. IS. TIME

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

He needs to be saying that around Jaire.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Bring back Tramon, he has been indicating all summer on social media that he is cocked, locked and ready to rock.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
28 Aug 2020 11:15
Bring back Tramon, he has been indicating all summer on social media that he is cocked, locked and ready to rock.
That doesn't really make sense to me. Ento was #6/7 CB anyways.

We already have #1 - #4 on the depth chart locked and loaded and all of them need reps.

CB #5 - #7 is a competition for 2 spots between Hollman, Ento and Samuel. Tramon just doesn't fit.

Unless he is wiling to be on the sideline and take vet minimum so his cap hit is the same as say a Samuel or Ento.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
28 Aug 2020 12:48
We already have #1 - #4 on the depth chart locked and loaded and all of them need reps.
That's true- But you can never have enough CBs. And if any of 1-4 busts a chinstrap and misses time, the veteran Tramon is likely the best option
But he doesn't need the reps right now and there's a value to waiting until after week 1 given the contract guarantees
Pettine played a ton of dime and they can use Tramon outside, slot or even FS in a pinch.
2020 is all about the vets so I think there's an value in him being on the roster
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I don't care if there is room at the bottom of the depth chart, I care if he is better than Sullivan and/or Jackson. And if he is asking for a reasonable salary, I would absolutely bring him in.

If either of those are not true, then its probably not going to happen.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah if you listened to Gute's presser to start camp, he sounded like a guy who is moving on from Williams.

My biggest thing is I don't think Kabien Ento is the trigger to bring back Tramon. Like Veldheer, I am sure Tramon is on a short list of players if something were to happen. But Ento doesn't qualify as that thing to happen.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
28 Aug 2020 13:45
Yeah if you listened to Gute's presser to start camp, he sounded like a guy who is moving on from Williams.

My biggest thing is I don't think Kabien Ento is the trigger to bring back Tramon. Like Veldheer, I am sure Tramon is on a short list of players if something were to happen. But Ento doesn't qualify as that thing to happen.
I agree, and I certainly don't expect that kind of signing prior to week one at this point. The guaranteed salaries of vested veterans always plays a role in bringing in guys off the street, but with a season that may not happen, a guaranteed salary for a year is an even bigger risk; guys like Veldheer, Tramon, and my craving for a DT like Dareus or Harrison... all seem more likely to be post week-one moves at this juncture.

Also, Tramon lives in Green Bay and knows the system. If he can be ready quickly, no need to add him preemptively.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Aug 2020 14:18
The guaranteed salaries of vested veterans always plays a role in bringing in guys off the street, but with a season that may not happen, a guaranteed salary for a year is an even bigger risk; guys like Veldheer, Tramon, and my craving for a DT like Dareus or Harrison... all seem more likely to be post week-one moves at this juncture.
Yes, with one caveat. IF you wait until after game 1 you run the risk of another player on another team getting injured and that coveted vet choosing a non-Packer option over playing in Titletown. I'm curious to see what happens in Dallas now that DT Gerald McCoy is out for the year. Damon Harrison lives in Dallas in the offseason and the cowboys just re-did OT Smith's contract to open up some space... hmmm

Its a tough spot for the Packers, waiting makes financial sense - but it also brings with it the risk that a prettier girl comes along.
IT. IS. TIME

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Losing Ento means absolutely nothing. Between Alexander, King, Sully, Jackson, and Hollman you already have a damn good group of young corners with a ton of potential and one of them that would make a tasty Japanese menu item.

Add Samuels into that group and there really isn’t much room for Ento. Likely you would have either Ento or Samuels making the practice squad and the other making the active roster. All Th is did was make the decision easier.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Aug 2020 15:29
Losing Ento means absolutely nothing. Between Alexander, King, Sully, Jackson, and Hollman you already have a damn good group of young corners with a ton of potential and one of them that would make a tasty Japanese menu item.

Add Samuels into that group and there really isn’t much room for Ento. Likely you would have either Ento or Samuels making the practice squad and the other making the active roster. All Th is did was make the decision easier.
True, assuming the depth holds out and we don't suffer any further injuries. You know, your boy been hurt once or twice before.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
28 Aug 2020 15:37
lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Aug 2020 15:29

True, assuming the depth holds out and we don't suffer any further injuries. You know, your boy been hurt once or twice before.
Lord knows... Lord knows....

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

:shock:

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
31 Aug 2020 09:17
:shock:

We have to have one of the youngest rosters in the league again this year.

Rodgers, Crosby and Marcedes Lewis are all 35-36. Then we have two OL at 30. Everyone else is under 30. That's kind of insane. It's like the early TT years. New GMs gotta make over a roster, ya know?

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

My wife was just doing a fantasy mock draft and they (Yahoo I think) had Aaron Jones rated a 3rd round pick, not even a top 10 RB. Is there something I'm missing here? I'm insanely bullish on Jones this year, I think his role in the passing game is going to blow up. Is this just because they drafted Dillon?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Waldo wrote:
31 Aug 2020 12:15
My wife was just doing a fantasy mock draft and they (Yahoo I think) had Aaron Jones rated a 3rd round pick, not even a top 10 RB. Is there something I'm missing here? I'm insanely bullish on Jones this year, I think his role in the passing game is going to blow up. Is this just because they drafted Dillon?
Yeah, Yahoo has him late-20s/early 30s for some reason but his ADP is higher, so there's some recognition that it's an undervalue...

..and yes, it's the fear of committee. MLF said that he plans to use them all and someone tweeted, like, "sorry fantasy players."

The other issue being TD numbers aren't as year-to-year consistent so people are counting on a reversion to the mean in that category.

I think it's an overreaction, but I sure won't complain about the value.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Waldo wrote:
31 Aug 2020 12:15
Most Ive seen have him low 2nd round which I still think is low. Most have Miles Sanders, Austin Eckler, and CEH from the Chiefs above him which I think is crazy. Hew should be on par with Josh Jacobs IMO.