Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 13:51
Denver did it by throwing heavy loot at SEA for Wilson, and the Colts got someone in their building that is much better than Wentz..for a meer 3rd round pick. Why wouldnt they do that? Why would they be worried about the past when in one moment they can give a 3 and probably have "Average at worst" QB play for probably three more years. Seems like an easy decision to me.
How sure are we that Ryan, at this stage of his career, is "much better than Wentz."

As I said, Ryan has not thrown for more than 26 TDs since 2018. He has not thrown less than 11 INTs since 2018. Wentz has two seasons of both since Ryan has last achieved that. They're both stop-gaps. They're both game managers at this stage.

And if the Colts would have taken the picks they have used on two old experiments and instead packaged them, they could have either traded up in the draft to get a real prospect for the future, or they could have completed a trade for someone like Wilson.

Being "desperate" for a QB does not excuse absolutely garbage resource management at the position. It, in fact, highlights just how terribly they are doing at that.

Getting Matt Ryan for a 3rd round pick is... fine. Their third round pick this year will be a mediocre QB at above-average QB prices and is on a 2-year contract. If they play their cards just right, they might make it to an AFC Divisional round with him. I don't understand why people think the team got that much better at QB. This isn't 2016. Matt Ryan hasn't been super productive in a minute. He'll dink and dunk his way to yards and completion percentages, but he doesn't create any offense on his own, and it's not like the Colts' receiving weapons are in great shape.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

awesome :puke:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2022 14:17
Drj820 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 13:51
Denver did it by throwing heavy loot at SEA for Wilson, and the Colts got someone in their building that is much better than Wentz..for a meer 3rd round pick. Why wouldnt they do that? Why would they be worried about the past when in one moment they can give a 3 and probably have "Average at worst" QB play for probably three more years. Seems like an easy decision to me.
How sure are we that Ryan, at this stage of his career, is "much better than Wentz."

As I said, Ryan has not thrown for more than 26 TDs since 2018. He has not thrown less than 11 INTs since 2018. Wentz has two seasons of both since Ryan has last achieved that. They're both stop-gaps. They're both game managers at this stage.

And if the Colts would have taken the picks they have used on two old experiments and instead packaged them, they could have either traded up in the draft to get a real prospect for the future, or they could have completed a trade for someone like Wilson.

Being "desperate" for a QB does not excuse absolutely garbage resource management at the position. It, in fact, highlights just how terribly they are doing at that.

Getting Matt Ryan for a 3rd round pick is... fine. Their third round pick this year will be a mediocre QB at above-average QB prices and is on a 2-year contract. If they play their cards just right, they might make it to an AFC Divisional round with him. I don't understand why people think the team got that much better at QB. This isn't 2016. Matt Ryan hasn't been super productive in a minute. He'll dink and dunk his way to yards and completion percentages, but he doesn't create any offense on his own, and it's not like the Colts' receiving weapons are in great shape.
i suppose this comes down to how well Ryan will do. I think behind a good OL and a run game he will look MUCH better. I think ATL was a mess the last few years. I dont think he is a top 10 QB, but i think he has a couple years left in the 11-15 range..if in the right situation. And I think Wentz proved to not be able to not do dumb stuff.

I think giving a 3 for 11-15 range QB play is a big upgrade.

Now, if he absolutely sucks and looks like a 25-30 ranked QB then of course even a 3 would be an overpay.

All depends on how he does. But I dont think the past should dictate whether the Colts for a 3 for him or not if they think he is an upgrade. I think he is.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

You know what Pete's comments remind me of? His comments regarding Russell Wilson the past two years.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Announce Hill to the Packers, Ian.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Mar 2022 10:10

Somehow I don't think that's going to happen. Sounds like its going to be Jets or Dolphins.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This would put MVS as at minimum the 3rd, maybe 4th option at pass catcher for the Chiefs. And that is the perfect spot for him to be. My only problem with him for us is I don’t think he should be a 1 or a 2. It’s like Lancaster, I like Lancaster! But I don’t want him playing every snap on the DL.

If MVS found a niche role as the Go route and “stretch the D out” guy for the Chiefs, I think he would make them better

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Mar 2022 10:28

This would put MVS as at minimum the 3rd, maybe 4th option at pass catcher for the Chiefs. And that is the perfect spot for him to be. My only problem with him for us is I don’t think he should be a 1 or a 2. It’s like Lancaster, I like Lancaster! But I don’t want him playing every snap on the DL.

If MVS found a niche role as the Go route and “stretch the D out” guy for the Chiefs, I think he would make them better

With this group there, MVS very well may be #2 after Kelce.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
23 Mar 2022 10:35
Drj820 wrote:

With this group there, MVS very well may be #2 after Kelce.
I disagree but that’s okay. I think Mecole, Healthy/un suspended Gordon, and Juju are more equipped to 1s and 2s.

Mecole is very talented but was naturally always behind Kelce and Hill for targets, Juju and Gordon have at lease all been WR1s before, getting attention from top corners. Jujus stock plummeted, but Hes performed successfully in the role before.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
23 Mar 2022 10:10

Somehow I don't think that's going to happen. Sounds like its going to be Jets or Dolphins.
Gosh, he'd give up being with the Chiefs and Mahomes just to make like an extra $6 million over 3 years (I'm guessing maybe Chiefs offering 23 and he'd get 25) to go play at those dumpster fires. I'd be willing to wager both the Jets and Dolphins will be in the QB market by 2024.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If we can agree to like around $23 million per and only a 2nd round compensation, I could get behind it.

Guessing both contract and draft picks will be worse.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, the elite WR market had stalled for a couple of years with no one even coming close to approaching the dumb Hopkins deal, but the other top guys all being in the $20-23M/year range.

Suddenly that's the going rate for solid-not-spectacular #1s like Mike Williams and Chris Godwin--and they caught previously top-end Amari Cooper who is still on the $20M/year deal and is probably not a top 5 WR in the league, if top 10.

The Davante deal broke open the top of the market and all the top WRs are going to be in catch-up mode for 2 years. I want no part of it. Low-priced savvy vets and rookies for days at this position. Just do it. No trades. We're going to need the cheap labor at the position and it's a great year for it, and we have a lot of picks to fill it up.

Also, to reply to [mention]Drj820[/mention], I disagree on JuJu. He's not a #1. He succeeded massively basically as a #2. When forced to be a #1 he had one good year of production but as teams gameplanned for him, he fell off. He's a really high-level #2. He needs the complementary guys around him to succeed. He has that right now in KC. But if Hill is gone, then he better hope healthy/unsuspended Gordon and Hardman can take the heat away from him (along with kelce, obvi)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2022 11:33
Honestly, the elite WR market had stalled for a couple of years with no one even coming close to approaching the dumb Hopkins deal, but the other top guys all being in the $20-23M/year range.

Suddenly that's the going rate for solid-not-spectacular #1s like Mike Williams and Chris Godwin--and they caught previously top-end Amari Cooper who is still on the $20M/year deal and is probably not a top 5 WR in the league, if top 10.

The Davante deal broke open the top of the market and all the top WRs are going to be in catch-up mode for 2 years. I want no part of it. Low-priced savvy vets and rookies for days at this position. Just do it. No trades. We're going to need the cheap labor at the position and it's a great year for it, and we have a lot of picks to fill it up.

Also, to reply to @Drj820, I disagree on JuJu. He's not a #1. He succeeded massively basically as a #2. When forced to be a #1 he had one good year of production but as teams gameplanned for him, he fell off. He's a really high-level #2. He needs the complementary guys around him to succeed. He has that right now in KC. But if Hill is gone, then he better hope healthy/unsuspended Gordon and Hardman can take the heat away from him (along with kelce, obvi)
the draft is pumping out starting receivers every year, I'd pass on a high priced vet, not all vets will be able to demand 20 plus a season, Guty needs to find a no name vet, and use 1 or two of our first 4 picks to draft a ready to play guy, we didn't keep Rodgers to act all dumb here and not supply him with at least several decent receivers, Rodgers wouldn't have stayed if he new Lazard would become his #1

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Tyreek --> MIA

cost: five draft-picks

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The five picks:

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

APB wrote:
23 Mar 2022 12:29
The five picks:

Also Miami made him the highest paid WR in the league. Crazy.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Tyreek saw what Davante got (8 mil per year more than anyone else) and wants his.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Am I the only one that remembers Tyreek Hill beat his pregnant girlfriend? I wouldn't have wanted him on the Packers. Good luck, Miami.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’ve never seen so many trades.

And frankly it seems like traditionally better teams trading away players to traditionally crappy teams.

That said, Miami offense looking pretty good on paper.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
23 Mar 2022 12:49
Am I the only one that remembers Tyreek Hill beat his pregnant girlfriend? I wouldn't have wanted him on the Packers. Good luck, Miami.
You are not the only one.