2023 Dynasty League Discussion

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

mnkcarp wrote:
26 Sep 2023 14:15
Reset waiver priority each week based on previous week points (i.e. worst performance gets first pick).
So basically take strategy out of the game and give handouts to the teams that stink? :lol:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Packfntk wrote:
26 Sep 2023 14:31
mnkcarp wrote:
Reset waiver priority each week based on previous week points (i.e. worst performance gets first pick).
So basically take strategy out of the game and give handouts to the teams that stink? :lol:
Stinking is definitely a strategy all its own in dynasty. It might make sense on a yearly basis, for draft position, but it doesn't seem feasible on a weekly basis. Anyways, the "handout" being given is pretty paltry from week to week.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Waiver priority always in reverse standing order.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Would it help the ‘tanking’ if we do 6 playoff teams?

2 division winners get a first round bye?

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Packfntk wrote:
mnkcarp wrote:
There isn't a "fair" way to create parity where it doesn't exist currently. The question is whether you have more or less fun when some teams stink. I think engagement is highest when every team has the perception of having a chance. Clearly the rookie draft isn't enough to tip the scales back toward parity, or at least hasn't in our league's case. I think it's because of the crazy high value of QBs and the advantage the perennial stars can give. Teams that stink cannot find enough wealth to trade for those kinds of players, and nobody should be forced to roster, much less play, Zach Wilson. (sorry - got on to my own thing there for a second, lol)

But here we are...

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

mnkcarp wrote:
26 Sep 2023 15:00
Packfntk wrote:
mnkcarp wrote:
There isn't a "fair" way to create parity where it doesn't exist currently. The question is whether you have more or less fun when some teams stink. I think engagement is highest when every team has the perception of having a chance. Clearly the rookie draft isn't enough to tip the scales back toward parity, or at least hasn't in our league's case. I think it's because of the crazy high value of QBs and the advantage the perennial stars can give. Teams that stink cannot find enough wealth to trade for those kinds of players, and nobody should be forced to roster, much less play, Zach Wilson. (sorry - got on to my own thing there for a second, lol)

But here we are...
Let's just call it what it is. If you have teams at the bottom that have almost no activity and depend on hitting big on a few draft picks a year to rebuild their team, they will stay near the bottom all the time. I would be more willing or feel bad if the teams at the bottom were trying like hell to make their teams better, but we simply have not seen that. Am I wrong here?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Activity does not correlate to team success, if you just go look at who has been at top and bottom over the last handful of years.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Sep 2023 15:24
Activity does not correlate to team success, if you just go look at who has been at top and bottom over the last handful of years.
Why not? Look at the teams? Have they made trades that have helped them? Most of them have. Some people draft better than others. If you hit on a guy and someone fails on a pick there is a huge difference. Dynasty leagues will always have teams that do well, and teams that struggle. When you are at the bottom, it takes years to get back up to the top, it is simply how it is in every league. You either have to gut your team and get piles of picks, hit big on the draft picks you have, or trade pieces for other pieces because what you have is not the answer.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
26 Sep 2023 15:31
Pckfn23 wrote:
Why not? Look at the teams? Have they made trades that have helped them? Most of them have. Some people draft better than others. If you hit on a guy and someone fails on a pick there is a huge difference. Dynasty leagues will always have teams that do well, and teams that struggle. When you are at the bottom, it takes years to get back up to the top, it is simply how it is in every league. You either have to gut your team and get piles of picks, hit big on the draft picks you have, or trade pieces for other pieces because what you have is not the answer.
Maybe I misunderstood, were you trying to say that if teams don't trade, they are doomed to be at the bottom.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Packfntk wrote:
26 Sep 2023 15:09
I would be more willing or feel bad if the teams at the bottom were trying like hell to make their teams better, but we simply have not seen that. Am I wrong here?
If you look at Waldo, as an example, I think he's got a team on the verge of making some noise. He's struggling at RB, like every team but your own, but he's been making moves, just not big trades.

It's hard to make trades when your talent is limited. When you get a young prospect with upside, you want to keep him because you need something to build around, and when you have an old stud with immediate value, nobody will give spit for him.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

mnkcarp wrote:
26 Sep 2023 15:37
Packfntk wrote:
I would be more willing or feel bad if the teams at the bottom were trying like hell to make their teams better, but we simply have not seen that. Am I wrong here?
If you look at Waldo, as an example, I think he's got a team on the verge of making some noise. He's struggling at RB, like every team but your own, but he's been making moves, just not big trades.

It's hard to make trades when your talent is limited. When you get a young prospect with upside, you want to keep him because you need something to build around, and when you have an old stud with immediate value, nobody will give spit for him.
Yeah, it surely is tough but you have to weigh out what will net you the most results. If a young ascending player will get you multiple pieces or picks, and he will just rot on your team that is far away from competing, it may be in an owners best interest to move him. Never easy. As for older guys, there are competing teams that could surely use them, but it is on the owner to reach out and try and get something for them before they are washed up and useless to them.

There is no perfect algorithm, and no one has all the answers, but an owner needs to make a call on players. If anyone has older players that are available for trade that I can start right now over my current players, I would gladly give up a pick if I feel it will help me win now, and I am sure there are others competing that would do the same. Maybe not.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Yeah, not gunna agree there.

I would imagine there is a very direct correlation between quantity of trades and wins.

Just seeing who is active and responds to trade requests, and who doesn’t, and who never, ever, ever proposes them.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

mnkcarp wrote:
26 Sep 2023 15:37
Packfntk wrote:

Bull on the no one will give spit for him. No one is ever willing to even trade.

Yes, you should absolutely keep young stars.

At the same time, he is now 0-3 and I think 9th in points? I’d venture you could turn Aaron Jones, Derrick Henry, Davante Adams and Matt Stafford into ~5 first round picks or equivalent of.

He isn’t going to compete while they are in their prime. They are all gunna sit on his roster till they retire. I’ve tried to trade for Jones, can even get a ludicrous counter offer. Told me he won’t trade him. Big waster of resources, imo.

That rant aside, why I was proposing maybe 6 playoff teams. More buyers and less sellers. Might help someone exactly in Waldo’s situation to get more value for those guys before they lose all value.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
26 Sep 2023 16:43
Pckfn23 wrote:

I would imagine there is a very direct correlation between quantity of trades and wins.

Just seeing who is active and responds to trade requests, and who doesn’t, and who never, ever, ever proposes them.
For example, you and Yoho have been bottom 4 in points the last 2 years and I would say you 2 are 2 of the most active.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Sep 2023 17:12
BF004 wrote:
26 Sep 2023 16:43
Pckfn23 wrote:

For example, you and Yoho have been bottom 4 in points the last 2 years and I would say you 2 are 2 of the most active.
BF was going through a mini rebuild. He’s now top 5 scoring.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Wow - all the way from "bottom 4" over the course of a season, to "top 5" after three games. That's a three position climb! Rebuild accomplished! :banana:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Let's actually look at it:

Bottom: Waldo, Trudge, Yoho, BF - Top: Packfntk, Madcity, NCF, BackthePack
Bottom: BF, Yoho, Waldo, Trudge - Top: NCF, Madcity, Packfntk, mnkcarp
Bottom: mnkcarp, Pckfn23, NCF, Yoho - Top: Packfntk, Madcity, Trudge, BF
Bottom: mnkcarp, BF, Waldo, Trudge - Top: Packfntk, NCF, Madcity, Pckfn23
Bottom: Trudge, backthepack, mnkcarp, BF - Top: Packfntk, Madcity, NCF, Pckfn23

I believe the last 5 years have been steady with owners, if I remember right.

Leaders in bottom 4 points:
Trudge - 4
BF - 4
Waldo - 3
Yoho - 3
mnkcarp - 3

Leaders in top 4 points:
Packfntk - 5
Madcity - 5
NCF - 4
Pckfn23 - 2

Trades since end of 2017 season:
BF - 127 Trades
Yoho - 86 Trades
NCF - 66 Trades
Packfntk - 65 Trades
backthepack - 45 Trades
Madcity - 45 Trades
Pckfn23 - 16 Trades
Trudge - 1 Trade
Waldo - 0 Trades
mnkcarp - 0 Trades

You have the top trader with same amount of bottom 4 point years as the lowest trader. The 2nd most prolific trader is tied with with the 2nd most bottom 4 point years as the other 2 non-traders.

This isn't highly statistical, but I just can't say that the effect size of trading is particularly high. I would say there is a lot more to it than just to blame the lack of parity on lack of trading by some managers.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 26 Sep 2023 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

mnkcarp wrote:
26 Sep 2023 20:16
Wow - all the way from "bottom 4" over the course of a season, to "top 5" after three games. That's a three position climb! Rebuild accomplished! :banana:
I was the top scorer in week 1, what does that mean for me?!

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

So 4 of the top 6 traders are in the playoffs as of right now. That works.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
26 Sep 2023 20:34
So 4 of the top 6 traders are in the playoffs as of right now. That works.
Week 3 just finished. Come on man...