General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 13:42
Legit one of the most entertaining games I've ever watched.

My head and ego as a Packers fan in 2011 was absolutely ridiculous.

I thought MM and TT were absolute gods.

And how could you not think that? That run was absolutely amazing.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 13:06
Why would we look at it from a 2 year perspective for him when we are talking 2021 cap hits??
Because you can easily shift other cap from another player into 2022 if necessary.

Example. If we didn't think we could eat dead cap in 2021 by cutting Smith and getting his replacement player...we could have just deferred some of Rodgers's cap into 2022 which would then get reduced because you wouldn't be eating Preston's dead cap in 2022.

How we did it:

Keep Preston: Pay Preston essentially $8 million
Don't add player

Cut Preston: Dead cap of $7.25 million

How we could have done it:

Cut Preston: Eat $8 million of dead cap
Sign player at $8 million
Defer Rodgers/Adams (through extension) cap to 2022 of $8 million

2022:
Cap from deferral of Rodgers/Adams is $8 million higher
Cap from no dead cap from Preston Smith is $7.25 lower
Net cap impact is a wash.

Point being, there were absolutely ways if we wanted to bring in external players. We weren't "trapped" by any cap. We just decided it was best to keep Preston as that "added player" and it will work if he plays well.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

And why I said to remain competitive in 2022. You can shift cap and blow put 2022, but that isn't exactly a smart idea.

We absolutely were strapped by the cap. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 14:22
And why I said to remain competitive in 2022. You can shift cap and blow put 2022, but that isn't exactly a smart idea.

We absolutely were strapped by the cap. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
You're not shifting really any more cap to 2022 because you would be saving Preston Smith's dead cap in 2022.

It would end up being a wash.

Right now because of our decision to keep Preston, we are NOW shifting $7.25 million of dead cap to 2022. So really the decision to keep Preston Smith in 2021 is basically a $7.25 million signing from a 2021/2022 outlook. That is money we could have spent on an external player which is my only point.

Gute wasn't "boxed" by needing to only resign Packers players. He could have easily gone out and brought in 1...maybe 2 shiny external FA's in the place of Smith, Lowry, and King and he could have done it in a way that wouldn't hurt 2022 any more than the decision he made to keep Preston/King/Lowry on the 2021 roster for another year.

I agree we are tight on cap. But the decisions that Gute has made has made it clear...he don't care about cap. The Packers are in an "all in" mode for 2021 and 2022 (because we know we will be deferring a lot of 22 cap into 23). It's just the way he is doing it. Gute decided to keep status quo. A lot fans don't like that approach. I'm reserving judgement on it and hopefully Kevin, Dean and Preston prove Gute right.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I agree we are tight on cap. But the decisions that Gute has made has made it clear...he don't care about cap. The Packers are in an "all in" mode for 2021 and 2022 (because we know we will be deferring a lot of 22 cap into 23). It's just the way he is doing it. Gute decided to keep status quo.
Whoa the conversation shifted. I thought we were talking about the reason why it would have been tough for the Packers to sign a big name free agent.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 14:40
I agree we are tight on cap. But the decisions that Gute has made has made it clear...he don't care about cap. The Packers are in an "all in" mode for 2021 and 2022 (because we know we will be deferring a lot of 22 cap into 23). It's just the way he is doing it. Gute decided to keep status quo.
Whoa the conversation shifted. I thought we were talking about the reason why it would have been tough for the Packers to sign a big name free agent.
They could have. They decided instead to keep Preston and King. I didn't shift anything.

The Packers would be in the same situation from a cap perspective (in fact likely save money) if they cut Smith, didn't resign King and signed say Kyle Fuller or Patrick Peterson.

You have been saying that it couldn't happen because we wouldn't have enough 2021 cap but you are wrong on that because we could have deferred 2021 cap from an Aaron Rodgers into 2022 and it would have no net negative impact on 22 cap when comparing to the decision of keeping King and Smith because 2022 will now have to absorb King/Smith 2022 dead cap in its place.

The ultimate decision here is Gute decided (as an example) that King + Preston is preferable over say a Fuller or Peterson or any other moderately priced external FA.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

You have been saying that it couldn't happen because we wouldn't have enough 2021 cap
No, I purposefully added in without blowing up 2022 as well. Plenty of things we could do, but it would be at the cost of 2022. And as I said, that would not be good in my opinion. Putting eggs all in one basket is not good.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
25 Mar 2021 15:05
The ultimate decision here is Gute decided (as an example) that King + Preston is preferable over say a Fuller or Peterson or any other moderately priced external FA.
Sort of.
After discussions with Fullers' agent, Gute probably realized that since the chances of getting Fuller away from Fangio were predicated on a massive overpay - the next best option was to go with King/Preston.
Your comment suggests that was his preferred outcome - and we just don't know that. We do know Gute liked Fuller enough to offer him as an RFA and to have more discussions in 2021. You play the cards you're dealt, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't prefer an Ace over a 10 ( or a "King" lol)

I prefer Kate Upton, but she made a different choice - and then so did I. But that doesn't mean she wasn't a preference.
And that (inevitable) outcome is not an indictment of my decision-making or strategy. Its just reality.
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
25 Mar 2021 15:32
go pak go wrote:
25 Mar 2021 15:05
Sort of.
After discussions with Fullers' agent, Gute probably realized that since the chances of getting Fuller away from Fangio were predicated on a massive overpay - the next best option was to go with King/Preston.
Your comment suggests that was his preferred outcome - and we just don't know that. We do know Gute liked Fuller enough to offer him as an RFA and to have more discussions in 2021. You play the cards you're dealt, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't prefer an Ace over a 10 ( or a "King" lol)

I prefer Kate Upton, but she made a different choice - and then so did I. But that doesn't mean she wasn't a preference.
And that (inevitable) outcome is not an indictment of my decision-making or strategy. Its just reality.
We can get into symantix. But the ending result is the same. Maybe a Fuller wasn't available. But I bet a Peterson would have been. The larger point I keep bringing up is our management was not conservative. We are paying money this FA. It's just that it is our players rather than external players.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
25 Mar 2021 15:52
The larger point I keep bringing up is our management was not conservative.
Agreed -
And I didn't read the string of comments with actual comprehension, so I misunderstood your post.
Thanks for the added insight
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
25 Mar 2021 15:32
We do know Gute liked Fuller enough to offer him as an RFA
It was on the transition tag, but tomato tomato. 8-)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So rumor is Cordarelle Patterson has liked a lot of tweets today from the Packers and that he may potentially be a Packer signing.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
26 Mar 2021 13:57
So rumor is Cordarelle Patterson has liked a lot of tweets today from the Packers and that he may potentially be a Packer signing.
February 22 8-)
YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Feb 2021 11:09
I'm interested to see how much room we wind up clearing in all of this and what that puts ont he table for us. I'd like at least some lower-level additions. Cordarelle Patterson is on my mind as the Tyler Ervin role--KR and offensive gadget/motion/jet sweep guy.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Mar 2021 14:00
go pak go wrote:
26 Mar 2021 13:57
February 22 8-)
YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Feb 2021 11:09
I'm interested to see how much room we wind up clearing in all of this and what that puts ont he table for us. I'd like at least some lower-level additions. Cordarelle Patterson is on my mind as the Tyler Ervin role--KR and offensive gadget/motion/jet sweep guy.
I think it makes a lotta, lotta, lotta sense. Number one...if you want to be serious about STs, then get players who are seriously good at STs.

I don't know about Patterson's speed any longer, but he is likely more durable and a better back than Swerv. Swerv is just so small that injuries for him are a real thing. Also wouldn't hate having both if it came to it. Our roster size I think will be expanded this year right?
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Patterson signing here would excite the &%$@ out of me -- immediate boost to the return teams, plus a guy who could give us another wrinkle in the offense carrying the ball in addition to the nightmare of Jones and/or Dillon.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

See, Patterson would do nothing for me really. Hated him coming out, had a few good returns many years ago, has been irrelevant for half a decade now. Mercedes Lewis would have twice the impact.

If we are talking <2M, sure, why not, that would be in line with my expectations for his contributions for the team.

Let’s just draft a WR who can return who has some real WR potential.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
26 Mar 2021 18:23
See, Patterson would do nothing for me really. Hated him coming out, had a few good returns many years ago, has been irrelevant for half a decade now. Mercedes Lewis would have twice the impact.

If we are talking <2M, sure, why not, that would be in line with my expectations for his contributions for the team.

Pretty sure Patterson has been First Team All-Pro the last two years right?

My guess is if he comes to GB...it would be a low contract because we can't afford much more than that.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
26 Mar 2021 18:23

with which round would you be willing to use on a guy like that? if it's just to be a returner, then any later round should work, but if you want him to learn the offensive play book then that's another story, and why a Paterson makes sense, a vet familiar with NFL offensive schemes is so far ahead of a mid to late round rookie, and we have a window in which each season has significance, I really think the motion man ( like Ervin was early last year) is key to part to Lafluers offense, it seemed like we stumbled a bit when he went down, and Austin was just a disapointment.

I'd love to spend a high pick on a slot receiver, but we have to many other positions to fill, but then Guty's top picks shock me each year so who knows.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packers Saints on NFLN just kicked off.

I’m starting Lazard on my fantasy team.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
26 Mar 2021 20:03
Packers Saints on NFLN just kicked off.

I’m starting Lazard on my fantasy team.
I knew we didn’t have Davante, but no Kenny either, damn.

Also, anything thinking we can insert Jon Runyan into the starting lineup and remove Corey Linsley and just keep on humming as we were is on crack. Counted about 4 impact blocks first drive alone. Sets the tone running onto the field, first to the line breaking the huddle.