Official 2020 Draft Thread - Day 2 - NO SPOILERS!!!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2020 05:35
he took a TE in the 3rd last year, now he needs another, who he is raving about, my impression is he is fixing last years foiled pick, and now he acts as though we don't know that with what he expects of this TE will take 2 years to coach up.

how much better can this RB do catching the ball then Jones, basically this whole draft so far is about replacing Rodgers Jones and Sternberger, I don't buy any of this talk about either of Dillion or this TE helping this offense this year, we already have more of what either can bring already on the roster, this talk of winning now, and Rodgers is a pro, we've helped him a lot is pure BS, he had WR's that would have actually helped Rodgers prior to every pick, he passed and instead reached for every one besides a player that would help Rodgers.
The guy they just drafted is not a traditional TE. That is how he will help this year and how he is NOT Sternberger's replacement.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
25 Apr 2020 07:12
Yoop wrote:
he took a TE in the 3rd last year, now he needs another, who he is raving about, my impression is he is fixing last years foiled pick, and now he acts as though we don't know that with what he expects of this TE will take 2 years to coach up.

how much better can this RB do catching the ball then Jones, basically this whole draft so far is about replacing Rodgers Jones and Sternberger, I don't buy any of this talk about either of Dillion or this TE helping this offense this year, we already have more of what either can bring already on the roster, this talk of winning now, and Rodgers is a pro, we've helped him a lot is pure BS, he had WR's that would have actually helped Rodgers prior to every pick, he passed and instead reached for every one besides a player that would help Rodgers.
The guy they just drafted is not a traditional TE. That is how he will help this year and how he is NOT Sternberger's replacement.
sorry NO sale, the kid was a full round reach by many reports, and why would you think he'll do what most TE/H-B take over a year to do, don't see it

I also think small ball has limitations, it's more mistake prone simply because it takes more plays to score, player of this era of UFA tend to have less experience with the teams they play for hense are more mistake prone, thats why teams went to chunk play style of spread verticals, setting up for big yardage plays in the first place, sure you can get away from that some.

gute is just trying to copy cat SF, obviously thats what MLF wants, but it took SF 3 or 4 high draft capitol, multiple high first round picks to pull that off, we don't have that ammo, and never will, it's a fools errand, look at the chargers with Rivers, or KC or Bree's those GM's know giving there out standing QB's receivers will pay off the most.

NE, dire need of a QB, and Belechick made no moves we know of to move up for Love, one of the smartest football people around, yet I'am being told Guty knows more, same with TE, a bunch of teams are dying to get there hands on what we are being told our new TE is, yet they all pass on him, 93 passed as a matter of fact, please don't !@#$ down my back and tell me it's raining :)

hey I'll get over this BS draft, I've done so many times, but I don't have to like it, and I don't, this was Gute giving the middle finger to Rodgers imo.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2020 07:56
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:

sorry NO sale, the kid was a full round reach by many reports, and why would you think he'll do what most TE/H-B take over a year to do, don't see it

I also think small ball has limitations, it's more mistake prone simply because it takes more plays to score, player of this era of UFA tend to have less experience with the teams they play for hense are more mistake prone, thats why teams went to chunk play style of spread verticals, setting up for big yardage plays in the first place, sure you can get away from that some.

gute is just trying to copy cat SF, obviously thats what MLF wants, but it took SF 3 or 4 high draft capitol, multiple high first round picks to pull that off, we don't have that ammo, and never will, it's a fools errand, look at the chargers with Rivers, or KC or Bree's those GM's know giving there out standing QB's receivers will pay off the most.

NE, dire need of a QB, and Belechick made no moves we know of to move up for Love, one of the smartest football people around, yet I'am being told Guty knows more, same with TE, a bunch of teams are dying to get there hands on what we are being told our new TE is, yet they all pass on him, 93 passed as a matter of fact, please don't !@#$ down my back and tell me it's raining :)

hey I'll get over this BS draft, I've done so many times, but I don't have to like it, and I don't, this was Gute giving the middle finger to Rodgers imo.
Looks at Bill the GM's draft history. Not so good as of late.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... /draft.htm
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:

Yeah I really don’t think this move affects sternberger at all. I think it’s pretty clear Gute or Lafleur want to pretty much forsake the WR position and have two TEs on the field at all time. Looks like 2 RBs too. I could see many plays where there is only 2 wrs on the field. That could be almost the base look.

I’m still disappointed bc I didn’t think we were that far off, and I really think both the rb and TE could have been gotten a round later. Esp the TE. But I think we just saw a full on ship steering philosophy overhaul. Whether we like it or not, the future is being implemented.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

A quote that I borrowed from Kevin Seifert’s Twitter:
Last year at this time, Packer Nation was trying to figure out how to carry 6-7 WRs on the roster with all the talent we had. This year, with the same guys, the sky is falling.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
25 Apr 2020 08:01
Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2020 07:56
NCF wrote:

Looks at Bill the GM's draft history. Not so good as of late.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... /draft.htm
true, Billy B couldn't even get Gronk to come back, the ol Wolf is starting to look like a lamb :) hey I hope I'am not bumbing you to much Paco, I just have to blow off some steam, this is not the direction I would have went at all, so I need some time to get around this.

and I thank everyone for there patience with me.

I really get attached to our players, specially the best ones, Waldo didn't mention my name ( your a class guy Waldo) but I was one that was not happy with the Rodgers pick years ago, sure just like the Love pick I can see some of the reasoning for doing so, however it detracts from the goal of win now, we past up some receivers that would have been impactful this year whether Guty will admit it or not.

No it's apparent this draft has been all about the future far more then the present, and for me it marks the end of a era, one that gave us some of the most exciting Packer football of my life, I really loved what Favre brought, but Rodgers even topped a lot of Favres game thrillers, and with less heartache to end them, I have to be grateful for the 35 plus years of Packer success and 3 of the greatest QB's history can claim, I just don't feel good about our future though, Guty is the future, and I need to move on from the past.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Apr 2020 08:57
A quote that I borrowed from Kevin Seifert’s Twitter:
Last year at this time, Packer Nation was trying to figure out how to carry 6-7 WRs on the roster with all the talent we had. This year, with the same guys, the sky is falling.
Yeah, but a year later we can somewhat have an idea on what we have. Fan favorite Kumerow didn't show what he does in August. MVS either was hurt, or he fell off the face of the Earth. Sheppard not sure with yet, we only saw him for a handful of games but he was someone I was expecting to be utilized more. St Brown was looking good, until the injury last off-season. Adams, is Adams Honestly if it wasn't for Lazard we would have been in a world of hurt.

Doesn't really make you feel all good inside going back with that same group.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:19
Maybe my expectations should just change. I thought we were close, and an ILB, WR, and OT might be all we need.

Maybe staff thought we were a lot further than just that, or lafleur didn’t like the weird mix that his style and Rodgers style mixing became. Maybe Rodgers just got told “get on with this new way, if not we have your replacement here”. Maybe we want to run the ball 70% of the time and Loves athleticism could be used like a kaepernick. Maybe the front office is committed to not getting better for next year, but looking at taking on the process of steering a big ship into the direction Lafleur wants.

Odd thing to do right here at the end of the HOF QBs career that we just signed to a mega deal. But that looks like the road they are taking. And if that’s the road, maybe the draft is more understandable. Maybe. Idk, that’s all I got.
I think we all wanted to think to we were close. And keep in mind I still think we have a talented roster. But last year a lot of things had to go our way and we also had our absolute fair share of incredibly disappointing moments.

The only game we lost last year where I was like "we should have won" was Philly.

The games we honest to goodness were lucky we squeaked out a win were Detroit twice and even MN (though our defense was awesome that game). We could have just as easily been an average 11-5 team and being the 3rd seed needing to play MN in the wildcard round. We also were incredibly healthy.

I still have concerns about our defense, but lordy one can't overlook the struggles of our offense last year. I mean it was embarrasingg. The last 3 road games for Aaron Rodgers and our passing game was a complete joke. In fact, the only road game our passing game did ANYTHING decent after October was at New York Giants. Outside of that, our offense was an absolute disaster on the road.

We can't expect drafting a rookie WR is going to change all that. That was the old mindset and that's what got MM fired. We wanted this. We wanted a team where it was not dependent on Rodgers slinging around the ball.

The only thing I really wish we had was a ILB. But Josh Love does look to have fantastic athleticism.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:29
hey I hope I'am not bumbing you to much Paco, I just have to blow off some steam, this is not the direction I would have went at all, so I need some time to get around this.
No worries dude. I'm actually feeling much better about things this morning. Well...the RB and TE picks anyway. What matters is they work out. They both have good traits so I'm excited. Its obvious we are taking the team in a different direction and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Jordan Love...it all depends on how that all breaks down. I hope the kid works out. I just hope the situation doesn't rip the Packers apart. Time will tell.

Excited for day 3! Lots of solid players left out there.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:

We still don't know what we have in Sternberger. If Deguara is the blocker and Jace is the catcher we can finally utilize a 2 TE set.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I have given up on Rodgers winning another :lombardi:

It has been freeing. If we do something next year or the year after it is gravy. Otherwise, I have accepted we are changing into a new Packers that will be hard nosed, good defense and run it down your throat. I bet we add a speedy guy next year in the draft.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

last years 13-3 was really about 11-5 even with all the breaks and good health,and easier schedule, after this draft, where we got basically zero impact players, in fact lost 3 starters, now with a tougher schedule we should be better, I just can't seem to come to the same conclusion.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:52
Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:19
Maybe my expectations should just change. I thought we were close, and an ILB, WR, and OT might be all we need.

Maybe staff thought we were a lot further than just that, or lafleur didn’t like the weird mix that his style and Rodgers style mixing became. Maybe Rodgers just got told “get on with this new way, if not we have your replacement here”. Maybe we want to run the ball 70% of the time and Loves athleticism could be used like a kaepernick. Maybe the front office is committed to not getting better for next year, but looking at taking on the process of steering a big ship into the direction Lafleur wants.

Odd thing to do right here at the end of the HOF QBs career that we just signed to a mega deal. But that looks like the road they are taking. And if that’s the road, maybe the draft is more understandable. Maybe. Idk, that’s all I got.
I think we all wanted to think to we were close. And keep in mind I still think we have a talented roster. But last year a lot of things had to go our way and we also had our absolute fair share of incredibly disappointing moments.

The only game we lost last year where I was like "we should have won" was Philly.

The games we honest to goodness were lucky we squeaked out a win were Detroit twice and even MN (though our defense was awesome that game). We could have just as easily been an average 11-5 team and being the 3rd seed needing to play MN in the wildcard round. We also were incredibly healthy.

I still have concerns about our defense, but lordy one can't overlook the struggles of our offense last year. I mean it was embarrasingg. The last 3 road games for Aaron Rodgers and our passing game was a complete joke. In fact, the only road game our passing game did ANYTHING decent after October was at New York Giants. Outside of that, our offense was an absolute disaster on the road.

We can't expect drafting a rookie WR is going to change all that. That was the old mindset and that's what got MM fired. We wanted this. We wanted a team where it was not dependent on Rodgers slinging around the ball.

The only thing I really wish we had was a ILB. But Josh Love does look to have fantastic athleticism.
Okay see I’m with you most of the way. I feel a lot better today than I did the past two days. I honestly would rather move to this style full time. It’s my favorite style! I’m old School.

I agree with yoho that if you just look at who we got, they are helpful pieces. One issue I’m not over yet this morning though is the the TE/FB piece is a guy that you really can find later. Juszcyk is the gold standard and even he was drafted a full round later. I would have like to snagged guys like him later, through excellent scouting, and still address the weaknesses this team has. We can turn this ship into the new way, and we still need an ILB and a bulaga replacement and a run stuffing def linemen, or literally every issue we had this past year will remain. And that’s me accepting that we are not gonna get a top WR.

I need to review Jordan love tape with an honest eye. If he really is that dude, than I can even get on board with that move. I’m still not happy with the way have gone about our philosophy change in this draft, but I’ve accepted the need for the change and am on board. Here’s to day 3.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote: Juszcyk is the gold standard and even he was drafted a full round later. I would have like to snagged guys like him later, through excellent scouting, and still address the weaknesses this team has.
I was there with you and that sentiment last night but after sleeping on it I figure they grabbed him early out of fear he wouldn’t be there by the end of R5 when we had our next pick. They obviously would need to like him a lot to do that and it’s apparent they do.

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

Gute and MLF are clearly intent on reshaping the roster. Last year it was mostly on the defensive side, this season apparently it's the offense. I don't hate the general idea, but these picks are not exactly what I had in mind when thinking of what I thought should be added. If the team wants to shift more toward the running game, maybe spend an early pick on a decent RT rather than a homeless man's Eddie Lacy and an H-Back.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Mazrimiv wrote:
25 Apr 2020 11:52
Gute and MLF are clearly intent on reshaping the roster. Last year it was mostly on the defensive side, this season apparently it's the offense. I don't hate the general idea, but these picks are not exactly what I had in mind when thinking of what I thought should be added. If the team wants to shift more toward the running game, maybe spend an early pick on a decent RT rather than a homeless man's Eddie Lacy and an H-Back.
Welcome on over, Mazrim!!!

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

I need more places to vent

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Jets take the GB kid.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Mazrimiv wrote:
25 Apr 2020 11:55
I need more places to vent
Hahaha! Don't we all!

Don't let this be you...
Attachments
giphy (15).gif
giphy (15).gif (907.83 KiB) Viewed 433 times

Criticuria
Reactions:

Post by Criticuria »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Apr 2020 04:57
Gonna put myself in Guty’s and MLF’s shoes.

Round 1: This is obviously where you want a guy who can make significant impact to your team. That can be immediately, or in cases where an elite player is in the position, take a guy with all the potential in the world. He will get his opportunities. This week, I wanted a premier ILB or a special WR in round 1. But a guy that I really feel could be our next elite QB was on the board and ready for the taking. Yeah, he probably won’t play this year. But I won’t get this opportunity to draft our next QB as long as we get deep into the playoffs. We have him rated as somewhat raw, but he has all of the natural tools and he can throw every route. Did I just say he can throw every route? To all parts of the field? Do people realize how FEW of the QBs can do that? OK, he is the guy. He has the talent level. He’s the pick. Done. Feel good about it too.

Round 2: The defensive guys we considered aren’t there at this point. But there are a couple of offensive pieces that’ll actually diversify our team. This RB looks like he can move tacklers. I’d love to see him take some swing passes in open field too. He adds to a position group that’ll change next year and he will make it more diverse this year too. He isn’t highly rated by some. But he can add to the offense now and he solidifies the group for 2021. Done.

Round 3: Just about the same as round 2. A solid, not spectacular TE would help us a great deal. He fits what MLF wants to do in his scheme. How is it we’re finding these two guys who fit what the HC wants to do so well? This must be my lucky day. Yeah, he’ll rotate with the TEs. But he can already do more than Tonyan. And as an H-back, he’ll probably get more snaps than one of the other TEs. He has good value. Done.

See, in Guty’s shoes, this has been a good draft. They have a plan. And players are there that fit what they want to do. This is not as spectacular as many want. But it’s truly checking off the right boxes. Good job, Guty. I wouldn’t have made the picks that you did. But I can appreciate what you’re doing and I’m willing to see how well it works by December and January.