2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

LombardiTime wrote:
08 Dec 2023 10:52
Still mad that the refs did not give the ball to the Pack on Pickett's lateral that Rashan Gary recovered in Pittsburgh. I think we win if that happens.

That said, after seeing the Steelers get dominated, at home, by the lowly, 2 win Cardinals and Patriots (it was 21-3 NE at one point) within the past 4 days, I remain amazed that Joe Barry went into that game not wanting to get beat by Pitt's awful passing attack and seemed OK letting the Steelers run for 200+ yards.

10, 20, 10, 16, 10, 18, and 23 are Pittsburgh's point totals the past 7 weeks. We lost 23-19 to the Steelers.

The Giants have scored 0, 12, 3, 16, 9, 14, 10, 6, 17, and 10 in games so far this season. They average 12.3 ppg and only the Jets are wore.

Planning for NY to rely upon Barkley in the running game and holding them to 17 or fewer points should be the expectation Monday night.
I am kind of on the hunch that our defense isn't getting much better.

But our offense went from 4 three and outs in the first half to scoring like 3 times in the first half taking near 20 minutes of TOP.

D just still gives up these 5-7 minute scoring drives seemingly all the time, but just helps a ton more when they get less series and our offense is clicking.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

LombardiTime wrote:
04 Dec 2023 10:51
Hated the 3rd and 18 3-man rush. Still hate the run defense.

But the reality is that the D, currently 14th in ppg, only gave up 19 points to the Chiefs and I have no doubt that it will be a top 10 unit by the end of the season after facing QBs Devito, Mayfield, Young, Dobbs (or Mullens or Hall), and Fields (possibly in his final game ever as a Bear) to end the season.

Joe Barry has not done enough to not get himself fired.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... s-per-game
I think a 3-man rush is oddly more effective in 3rd and Medium situations. Belichick has always run it. On 3rd and Long, it seems to fail, well, without fail.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
08 Dec 2023 14:12
I feel like this meets the eye test. The Packers defense is decent at keeping you out of the end zone, but worst in the league and making teams punt and flipping the field.

Looks like only 4 teams are tied or worse than us at giving up TDs/FGs & a first down. I should go back and try and see if we have improved over the last 3-4 weeks.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Found it! They were at 81% exactly 1 month ago, just as they are now. 1% less on the TOs, 1% more on the Punts, 1% less on the FGs.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Packers feeling Preston Smith's impact both on and off the field

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/1 ... the-field/

Veteran edge rusher Preston Smith is quietly having a productive season for the Packers, but just as important as his production is to the Packers, so is his leadership — not only in the edge rusher room but to the team as a whole.

“He’s the leader of the group,” said pass rush game coordinator Jason Rebrovich on Thursday. “There’s no doubt about it. It’s been that way before I even got here. I was having a great conversation about him not too long ago, just his leadership skills and what he brings.

“He’s got nine years of experience in this league. That’s a lot. I put my arm around him and ask him questions about what his daily routine is and how he does it. How he’s seen it.”
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Article on CB Corey Ballentine and his journeyman journey to Titletown

https://www.packers.com/news/after-keep ... -green-bay

"Playing alongside nickel cornerback Keisean Nixon, Ballentine and Valentine have combined to play more than 900 defensive snaps this season. Ballentine's performance has come as no surprise to Nixon.

"C.B. earned every opportunity since he been here, and he been showing," Nixon said. "We came in together in 2019 and I watched him grow.
I don't know what it is about this 'G,' but it turns players into great players, for real."

Ballentine is the latest in a series of veteran defensive backs to have found new life in the Packers' secondary, including Nixon. A former undrafted free agent, Nixon signed with Green Bay in March 2022 after Las Vegas didn't extend a restricted tender.

The other posterchild for a career resurgence is former Packers cornerback Rasul Douglas, whom Green Bay signed off Arizona's practice squad one year earlier than it did Ballentine.

Douglas tallied 129 tackles, 32 passes defensed and 10 interceptions in 36 games (28 starts) for the Packers before being dealt to Buffalo in an October trade that netted Green Bay a third-round pick"

IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
09 Dec 2023 14:00

"Playing alongside nickel cornerback Keisean Nixon, Ballentine and Valentine have combined to play more than 900 defensive snaps this season. Ballentine's performance has come as no surprise to Nixon.

"C.B. earned every opportunity since he been here, and he been showing," Nixon said. "We came in together in 2019 and I watched him grow.
I don't know what it is about this 'G,' but it turns players into great players, for real."

Ballentine is the latest in a series of veteran defensive backs to have found new life in the Packers' secondary, including Nixon. A former undrafted free agent, Nixon signed with Green Bay in March 2022 after Las Vegas didn't extend a restricted tender.

The other posterchild for a career resurgence is former Packers cornerback Rasul Douglas, whom Green Bay signed off Arizona's practice squad one year earlier than it did Ballentine.

Douglas tallied 129 tackles, 32 passes defensed and 10 interceptions in 36 games (28 starts) for the Packers before being dealt to Buffalo in an October trade that netted Green Bay a third-round pick"

It's absolutely crazy how the draft status of our secondary has resulted in play the last 5 years.

High Draft Picks
Kevin King
Josh Jones
Jaire Alexander
Josh Jackson
Darnell Savage
Eric Stokes

Day 3 or Lower Draft Picks
Adrian Amos
Rudy Ford
Anthony Johnson Jr
Jonathan Owen
Rasul Douglas
Carrington Vallentine
Corey Ballentine
Keisean Nixon
Chandon Sullivan

Honestly Group 1 as a collective (even individually) might not be as productive as Group 2 as a collective
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
10 Dec 2023 09:31
BSA wrote:
09 Dec 2023 14:00

It's absolutely crazy how the draft status of our secondary has resulted in play the last 5 years.

High Draft Picks
Kevin King
Josh Jones
Jaire Alexander
Josh Jackson
Darnell Savage
Eric Stokes

Day 3 or Lower Draft Picks
Adrian Amos
Rudy Ford
Anthony Johnson Jr
Jonathan Owen
Rasul Douglas
Carrington Vallentine
Corey Ballentine
Keisean Nixon
Chandon Sullivan

Honestly Group 1 as a collective (even individually) might not be as productive as Group 2 as a collective
Rasul was a day 2 pick. :box: :tiphat:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Huh. You're right. 3rd round. I forgot about that.

I always had in my head he was a UDFA since he didn't last his rookie contract in Philly.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I don't think we can expect more than we have seen with Alexander being hurt most of the season and with both safeties hurt most of the season and with an ILB hurt in almost every game and also Stokes.

The upside is that there will be depth when the starters return.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

The Giants are currently 32nd, that is dead last, in offensive points per game averaging 12.3. (New England is 31st and averages 13 ppg).

The Giants OLine is in disarray and is just not very good. The Giants give up a lot of sacks. QB Tommy Devito is a rookie UDFA.

The leading receiver is Darius Slayton with 435 yards.

Giants' fans and the GM are openly contemplating the upcoming draft.

Please Joe, don't let Barkley get established in the running game tonight and breath life into what is arguably the worst offense in the NFL.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

LombardiTime wrote:
11 Dec 2023 09:32
The Giants are currently 32nd, that is dead last, in offensive points per game averaging 12.3. (New England is 31st and averages 13 ppg).

The Giants OLine is in disarray and is just not very good. The Giants give up a lot of sacks. QB Tommy Devito is a rookie UDFA.

Please Joe, don't let Barkley get established in the running game tonight and breath life into what is arguably the worst offense in the NFL.
Yup.

The Giants put up 31 vs the Cardinals and Commanders.

Otherwise the Giants have only had 2 other games where they scored 2 TDs.

All other games have been 1 TD or less (and therefore 13 or less points)
Yoop wrote:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

LombardiTime wrote:

It is kinda amazing one would have to pray for it...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We better see a decent amount of man tonight.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

LombardiTime wrote:

Well the Giants rushed for 200+ yards and Devito was not sacked once and rarely pressured.

This was all so predictable.

What a waste of an "experimental" season. We could have had a new DC putting his plan into place.

Instead, we worry about MLF extending his buddy.

Just sad.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Pack now 15th in opponent's offensive points per game.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Up to 31st in the NFL in rushing defense and closing fast on the 32nd ranked Broncos.