Packers @ Steelers GDT: Sunday, Nov. 12th, 12:00 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
13 Nov 2023 11:12
I got that, and it's why I attempted to explain to you why we struggle, also we rarely have had to worry about teams beating us running the ball, or have you already forgotten who our QB has been for half of your adult life :rotf:
You're the one forgetting, multiple instances **in the Rodgers era** where our failure to stop the run cost us the season, most notably 2019.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Maybe I'm crazy, you tell me, but it seems to me a simple change would be for Barry to use a 3-3-5 nickel, not the lighter 2-4-5. With the faster Walker or McDuffie playing the ILB spot, I don't really see the downside. :idn:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
13 Nov 2023 12:26
Maybe I'm crazy, you tell me, but it seems to me a simple change would be for Barry to use a 3-3-5 nickel, not the lighter 2-4-5. With the faster Walker or McDuffie playing the ILB spot, I don't really see the downside. :idn:
The 335 is a pretty good defense in college because the speed and confusion it can cause.

In my opinion there’s a reason it’s never taken off at the pro level. Not really good enough against the pass because you take a huge hit getting after the passer while still being light against the run.

There are tons of teams playing 245 or 425 if they’re in a 43 defense and they’re doing well enough. They just have more physical players. The 49ers with Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman played exclusively nickel and &%$@ down the run completely.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

MY_TAKE wrote:
12 Nov 2023 15:46
Pugger wrote:
12 Nov 2023 15:36
MY_TAKE wrote:
12 Nov 2023 15:30

Pickett is horrible, I agree. It wasn't meaningless to me. I still was holding out hope they could turn it aound some and string some wins together.

The Darn vikings started off like crap and have turned their season around and they lost Justin Jefferson and Kurt Cousins. They actually have an excuse to suck and they are kicking ass. Hopefully for them JJ will be back soon.
What good would a win be now (I do get it that winning begets winning)? All it does is drop us down the draft line this spring. We need blue chip players and with our cap issues these kids have to come via the draft.
pe

Because with a win PUGGER they would have been 4-5. I guess its not meaningless to me if there is still hope mathematically. Remember "run the table"? I know they are not that great but they barely made the playoffs the year they won the superbowl 2010/2011! THATS why!!!
I think if you left it as mathematically possible, most would see your reasoning. Comparing this year's team to the SB one (lists here the roster and notes the old "never behind by more than a score" refrain) lets most of the air out of the tires.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

musclestang wrote:
13 Nov 2023 05:44
Pugger wrote:
12 Nov 2023 22:47

Well, someone over in Detroit finally got it right along with the right coach for those players.

Nobody at 1265 is playing for a draft position and no fans are rooting for the team to lose. It would have been great to win this game (and I still think we got jobbed on that lateral pass) but I figured this was going to be a challenging year so I'm not going to be upset here. IMO there was a lot more positives today even though we came up short. I think the future holds promise as long as we get a different DC. I do not care for the way Barry has these guys playing. The tackling is poor and guys are out of position too often.
yes, after 2 decades and multiple wasted top 10 or better picks. The right coach, not because of better draft position.

anyway, you seemed to imply that losing was desired, and winning would be bad because it doesn't do anything but lower our draft position. i think winning does a lot for a young team.

I'm not upset with losing either, it comes with the territory of a young team.

But I will always maintain that figuring out a way to win yesterday's game was much more desired than losing so we don't drop in draft position.
I don't believe that winning is bad but I don't want folks to get all upset when we aren't right now either. I had a feeling this was going to be a challenging year to say the least and I am pleased to see some progress, especially with Love and a couple of his WR, the last couple of weeks. Love still has accuracy issues and the line isn't consistent at blocking. Our TEs and WRs can't block a screen to save our skins so I wish MLF would stop calling those on 3rd down.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
13 Nov 2023 08:45
Drj820 wrote:
13 Nov 2023 08:17
yal gotta admit tho, several years into Garys career, hes basically a one trick pony. Hes very good at his one trick, but its still only one trick.
I'm fine with that. If he's great at it, its a good thing to be great at. Just need the pieces around him to compliment it. Which we don't have.
Yes, pass rushers are coveted. It would help him and the D if we could find another one but they don't grow on trees...

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Papa John wrote:
13 Nov 2023 09:41
People will tell me that it's a rebuild year and cut them some slack but I can't hold back. This defense is a piece of &%$@. We have watched the same defense with different personnel and coaches for the past decade plus. Just plug and play new players and coaches, and get THE SAME POS PRODUCT. Can't stop the run. SOFT. WEAK. We need what's called a pattern interrupt. Someone with charisma, passion, and knowledge who comes into the building and blows up our culture of complacency. I can just picture the pussies who run this franchise in the boardroom- "well that's just the way it's always been." *Throws up arms* Time to say bye bye to the country club boys and bring in someone who knows about ass kicking.
I don't know if blame for this season should be leveled at the BOD but a team is always a reflection on the HC. I just don't think MLF is someone who knows about ass kicking and unfortunately it shows on the field.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Pugger wrote:
musclestang wrote:
12 Nov 2023 20:18
Pugger wrote:
12 Nov 2023 18:01

Of course not but this isn't a team that is going anywhere and like I said, with our cap issues getting blue chip players will come in the draft. I am glad to see Love is getting better. IMO if the team is getting better as the season goes along that is cause for optimism for the future. :)
I watched Detroit pick high in the draft for 20 years and never make a playoff game. I hope we never play for draft position. I couldn’t imagine rooting for my team to loose.
Well, someone over in Detroit finally got it right along with the right coach for those players.

Nobody at 1265 is playing for a draft position and no fans are rooting for the team to lose. It would have been great to win this game (and I still think we got jobbed on that lateral pass) but I figured this was going to be a challenging year so I'm not going to be upset here. IMO there was a lot more positives today even though we came up short. I think the future holds promise as long as we get a different DC. I do not care for the way Barry has these guys playing. The tackling is poor and guys are out of position too often.
Someone once said " you play to win the game" :banana: Pugger, you have been consistent thats for sure. You constantly tell us that this is a rebuilding year and YOUR expectations are quite low for this team. Unless you believed Jordon Love was going to be complete garbage why couldn't the expectations have been to compete for a wildcard? The rest of the roster you could argue should be better this year than last and obviously they competed for a wildcard last year. Mediocre teams compete for wildcard spots. Thats what I expected. Watson and Doubs have another year under their belt. I will take Jaden Reed over last years Cobb anyday. Our offensive TE production should be better as far as pass catching goes. Our 2 1st round defensive Georgia boys should be better this year than last. To me it seemed reasonable that the loss of Rodgers could be mitigated some with the improvements I just mentioned. Well, it hasnt happened for whatever argument one wants to put forth. The Packers still have games against the power house Giants, panthers and Bears. IM freaking sorry but it was a big deal to me losing that game yesterday because in my book they WERE still in the hunt if they could freaking play a little better which they did. Personally I think with a better coaching in general we could be 5-4 instead of 3-6.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

MY_TAKE wrote:
13 Nov 2023 16:52
Pugger wrote:
musclestang wrote:

I watched Detroit pick high in the draft for 20 years and never make a playoff game. I hope we never play for draft position. I couldn’t imagine rooting for my team to loose.

Someone once said " you play to win the game" :banana: Pugger, you have been consistent thats for sure. You constantly tell us that this is a rebuilding year and YOUR expectations are quite low for this team. Unless you believed Jordon Love was going to be complete garbage why couldn't the expectations have been to compete for a wildcard? The rest of the roster you could argue should be better this year than last and obviously they competed for a wildcard last year. Mediocre teams compete for wildcard spots. Thats what I expected. Watson and Doubs have another year under their belt. I will take Jaden Reed over last years Cobb anyday. Our offensive TE production should be better as far as pass catching goes. Our 2 1st round defensive Georgia boys should be better this year than last. To me it seemed reasonable that the loss of Rodgers could be mitigated some with the improvements I just mentioned. Well, it hasnt happened for whatever argument one wants to put forth. The Packers still have games against the power house Giants, panthers and Bears. IM freaking sorry but it was a big deal to me losing that game yesterday because in my book they WERE still in the hunt if they could freaking play a little better which they did. Personally I think with a better coaching in general we could be 5-4 instead of 3-6.
I too thought playoffs were an outside possibility with a W yesterday.

But the Loss likely sealed it for us. Unless we go on a remarkable 3 game win streak these next 3 weeks.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

MY_TAKE wrote:
13 Nov 2023 16:52
Pugger wrote:
musclestang wrote:

The reason why my expectations were low is because with a future HOFer we really struggled last year with a similar roster so with a first year starter in Love this year it was going to be a challenge. I'm rooting for him and the team to improve and show us the future will be bright.